Best Kept Secrets

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Sep 2019

This was a ferociously twisty thriller.  I couldn’t put it down.
Many thanks to Crooked Lane Books and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Morgan & Fay are best friends they tell each other everything. Morgan is the wild one Fay is quieter. They are enjoying their last summer before they go to college. Morgan is at an award ceremony her friend takes a photo she sends it to Morgan. Morgan can’t believe her eyes in the background is her husband David who went missing two years ago but it can’t be him because Morgan killed him. More strange things start happening. The story is told by Morgan in the past & present . Can all that Morgan says be believed . This book kept me hooked to the end with a brilliant ending.
Thanks NetGalley y could this be the lead she needs. Will she finally find out who killed Fay.
Great read
Thanks NetGalley
Tracey S. Phillips writes a hugely engrossing and entertaining début novel.

Homicide Detective Morgan Jewell is obsessed with finding out who murdered her best friend Fay Ramsey sixteen years ago. Her desire to obtain justice for Fay is so great that she starts to link other killings with similar M. O. 's to Fay’s death. Against the will of partner Detective Donnie James and in spite of his best efforts to rein her in, the present day murder of Hallie Marks reignites Morgan’s theory of what happened to Fay as Morgan unremittingly and arduously searches for information that will, at long last, bring Fay’s killer to justice.

Tracey S. Phillips delivers an unstoppable and exuberant psychological thriller with a toxic concoction of disturbing memories and deep, dark secrets. The novel’s great strength is in the way the author weaves past and present. The final scenes deliver a mind-blowing and shocking twist that I didn't predict.

Best Kept Secrets is a cracking story and a book that I revelled in all the way through bringing no disappointments. An awesome read which I'm very happy to recommend and also award five stars!

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley at my own request. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
I receive this from Netgalley for honest review.

What a great thriller and suspense it was to read. What a great psychological thrill! This novel had everything in it. The thrill, the suspense, the psychological, and the twist is crazy. This novel will keep you thinking and guessing. When you think you right, well let me just say that you might be wrong. This had me all over the place. My heart beating so fast! I couldn't believe what I was reading. If had me in shock. Every page, every chapter was a page turner. I couldn't believe my eyes what I was reading. It will surprise you in every way.

The storyline was very good!
The theme and setting was well put together. The characters was well put together in the story.
This story will have in a rollercoaster with all the spooky and secrets. Was so well put in the story.
Everything all in one book.
It was just perfect!
 This had me hooked from the beginning. What a Rollercoaster! The sitting, theme, and the Characters had me pulled so in. Everything was well put together and it was just perfect. This novel would have you guess and thinking all the way to the end. What a great thrill and suspense. I love a great suspense that would have me think and guessing. This novel did just that to me. To the point that am wrong. When the ending comes am on shock. I wouldn't of never believe or guess. Like OMG!
Highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. Its so good!
Can't wait for her next book.
#netgalley
I was given this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

The plot of this book was good enough. What got me was the pacing. I felt that it was so slow in some places and  it lasted a while. For a thriller, I found it no thrilling at all. There wasn't any of the anticipation that normally comes with the genre for me. It also felt repetitive due to the main character, Morgan, holding such an obsession over the murder of her best friend from high school. The actual plot I did like. The mystery aspect was there and unlike a lot of mysteries I've read, I didn't know how this book would end. So in that regard, I think of it as a success.
I really liked certain parts where Morgan showed a glimpse of Fay, and the synopsis had pulled me in for the fall feels. I love to read thrillers in the fall 💛🍁

The plot seemed to go way different than expected, but still in range and I stayed up a bit later to find out what happened next. There was a pov shift that at first was weird and interesting, and I'd wanted to see where it would go.

The said character that we start to see more of is more unsettling as we go on, but this character also has some intriguing flashbacks and memories that reveal more with each turn of the page.

Character-wise, Morgan didn't connect for me but I did still like her as a protagonist.

Donnie was wonderful, and I really wish that Rob and Morgan had ended up together somehow!

There were very few characters that I cared for, and the other pov character was definitely not one. I wasn't sure at first what role she was playing, but eventually, it clicked!

This book is about two women that each has kept secrets very well, and parts of their lives with those secrets are now enter-twining. One is a detective hunting for the murderer of her best friend, and the other holds some very dark secrets and harsh past.

A page-turning thriller for a cozy day in fall!

3 stars!
WOW ! A chilling and brilliantly written thriller with disturbing secrets !! Loved this book and can't wait for the next book ! I highly recommend ! Thanks to Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for the opportunity to read and review this book ! #Netgalley # CrookedLaneBooks
Right from the start, I liked Morgan. Strong and confident. I enjoyed the timeline jumps and it made me look for clues like I’m a detective too.
Morgan became a police officer because her best friend Fay was murdered - killed brutally the summer before they started college. She's been trying to solve that crime for years and now, suddenly, another young woman- Hallie- is found with her face smashed in same way Fay's was.  This sets Morgan off in an effort to link a pattern of murders over a 20 year period, which her partner Donnie thinks is futile.  At the same time, we're reading Caryn's story, sort of; she's got secrets and no spoilers as to why her chapters alternate with Morgan's.  This is a little slow in spots but the characters are good and the mystery itself sufficiently twisty.  Thanks to netgalley for the ARC.
3 1/2 ⭐️‘s
After Morgan’s dear friend Fay was killed on the eve of their departure for college, Morgan pulled herself out of her deep depression, changed her major and entered college to get a degree in criminology.  She vowed to find Fay’s killer.  Sixteen years later a case with enough of the same criteria has finally landed in her lap.  Could they be related?  Will she finally find justice for Fay?  Phillips debut novel is well crafted, but could be hard to follow for some as the transitions from past to present were choppy at times.  Told in the alternating voices of two women with secrets, Phillips draws the reader in as those secrets slowly unfold with the biggest twist left until the final page.  Phillips does a nice job with this police procedural and I wouldn’t mind reading more cases involving Donnie and Morgan.
3.5 stars.

Best Kept Secrets is an intriguing mystery by debut author Tracey S. Phillips.

Homicide Detective Morgan Jewell is obsessed with finding out who murdered her best friend Fay Ramsey sixteen years ago.  She is so fixated on solving the case that she ties other killings with similar MOs to Fay’s death.  The present day murder of  Hallie Marks reinvigorates Morgan’s theory much to the dismay of her longtime partner Detective Donnie James. Despite his best efforts to rein her in, Morgan doggedly searches for information that will, at long last, bring Fay’s killer to justice.

Morgan is one of those irritating characters who have a massive case of tunnel vision. She has already decided that Hallie and other similar murders have been committed by Fay’s killer and she does everything in her power to prove she is right.  Morgan is not sleeping or taking care of herself as she feverishly revisits old cases and pores over the files in order to find a definitive link that will lead to a viable suspect.  She runs roughshod over Donnie and other detectives in her zeal to show that they are searching for a serial killer.

Morgan has one suspect from Fay’s unsolved murder but he has never been located. She and Donnie have better luck finding and interviewing his sister.  Chapters from the sister’s perspective offer very surprising details about her and her brother’s lives both in the past and present.

Weaving back and forth in time, Best Kept Secrets has an interesting premise but the pacing is slow and Morgan is an unlikable lead protagonist.  The chapters alternate between two different points of view and  they offer a fascinating peek into the events over a broad period of time. Morgan’s behavior as a detective is somewhat unrealistic but Donnie does try to redirect her focus. With a final shocking yet somewhat predictable plot twist, the novel comes to an abrupt conclusion that is vaguely unsatisfying.  An imperfect debut but I would definitely read another book written by Tracey S. Phillips.
Best Kept Secrets is told in a present-past-present timeline, much like many other thrillers. The main character, Morgan, became a detective due to her decades long obsession with solving the murder of her childhood/teenage best friend.

The author tosses in a lot of red herrings and suspects to keep readers guessing. Unfortunately, the identity of the main killer wasn’t even slightly hard to figure out. The book’s main twist at the end wasn’t exactly a shock, either. The best, most effective surprise came with the revelation of Morgan’s true relationship with her friend, Fay.

Many of the characters in this book come from fractured backgrounds and have developed messed up coping mechanisms. Obsession is a common theme, and the author does use it to showcase how easily someone’s life can go flying off the rails.

Overall, I found the story and its execution to be only okay. Those who have read a lot of thrillers probably won’t find much new here, but newcomers to the genre will likely enjoy the twists.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing a copy. This review contains my honest, unbiased opinion.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley!

Best Kept Secrets will be a hit with those who love thrillers.
It was a good book overall.. .  i just found it to be a tad bit slow and choppy at times.

Morgan is obsessed with finding her best friend's killer.   She even becomes a police detective to help solve the case... similar cases start to pop up, and she finds herself closer and closer to solving it.
3-4 stars, could’ve been a solid 4 or even 5, but found it to be a bit too slow in many parts.  Overall, I think it was a good read, but found it easily set aside to work on another book, which doesn’t really make it a favorite of mine.  I thought it was pretty well written, but did seem a bit chopped up and out of order or something at times.  Overall, I think those with a love for thrillers will enjoy this book.
I’ll make sure to rave it up!
Morgan has been obsessed with finding her best friend Faye’s killer. She became a police homicide  detective to help herself move forward and give herself closure. Several cases like Faye’s have come to light and Morgan knows she is close to finding the killer.

The book is told between the past and present and from the p.o.v.s of both Morgan and another character named Caryn. The book had a lot of suspense and turns. The end of the book threw me for a loop. I need more information!!  I truly hope there are more books in the future.

Good characters, good writing and will definitely keep your attention.
This book is about a woman who is obsessed with finding her best friend's killer. She wants nothing more than to find them and give her friend the justice she deserves. It was such a great book. It kept me wondering who the killer actually was. And such a great twist at the end! I never wanted to put this book down. 5 stars from me!
Best Kept Secrets: A Novel
Tracey S. Phillips
2⭐⭐

Best friends tell each other everything.Even their deepest, darkest secrets--pinky promise.
Right? Morgan Jewell and Fay Ramsey are enjoying their last summer together before college. Fay is shy, with a controlling mother, and Morgan is the perfect, wild, loud-mouthed yang to Fay's yin. But when Fay is found dead, Morgan's entire world crumbles.

Years later, Morgan is still haunted by the abrupt end to her best friend's life. She knew Fay held a secret in those final days, but Morgan, now a homicide detective, has failed to make a picture out of the crooked puzzle pieces she left behind. Nothing makes sense. The leads have run dry. Until she's called to the scene of a murder: a woman whose body is left mangled, too similar to Fay's to ignore.

Could it be? Morgan vowed to do right by Fay. This is the case she's been waiting for to set her back on the killer's trail. But the closer she gets, the harder it forces her to confront the memories of herself and her best friend. What was her secret? What got her killed? Maybe Morgan didn't know her at all.
MY REVIEW :
This psychological thriller will keep you guessing with all the twists and turns right up until the last sentence. There were parts in the story that were rather slow and repetitive in many areas. It also jumped around alot which took away from the book.  However the plot and wanting to know the answers kelpt me reading. The dual timelines from the past and present Along with different POV from Morgan and Caryn Make it a little hard to follow. I personally did not like Morgan at all. And the ending ......omg what was that ! I did not like it at all and I will not be reading the second book.  I desperately wanted to love this book but it fell flat for me. However this author does have much promise.
2.5 rounded up for the ending

The writing in this one drags at times. The pacing was a bit slow and repetitive. The characters are decent, Donnie more likable than Morgan (at least to me). I found the change in narration and from past to present a bit choppy.

That being said the story was entertaining enough to finish and it certainly did with quite the sentence! I would try more by this author.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and Crooked Lane Books for a copy in exchange for a review.
Decided to dump this boom but will read this book in the foreseeable future....This book looks great!

Have a great day!
Thank you @Netgalley for this ARC ebook in exchange for an honest review.
Detective Morgan Jewell is investigating the death of Hallie Marks.  Beaten to death in the face with a hammer; hands smashed to pieces prior to death.  Strange thing is Morgan doesn't think this is the first kill for the killer.  This all ties back to Fay Ramset.  Her high school best friend & should be college roomie; but right before move-in day Fay went missing.  Some thought she ran away, Fay's mother blamed Morgan.
A few weeks later Fay was found dead by the river, face smashed beyond recognition.  This event changed Morgan's life forever.  It sparked her to become the detective she is today; in hopes to one day find Fay's killer and bring them to justice.
As Morgan investigates Hallie's death she tried to connect the killer to at least 5 other cases she's come across over the last decade.  Hallie seems to be quiet the town harlot, and was recently engaged to a man.  However, no one can find this  find mystery man.  Either he doesn't exist or he's using a false name.   Between him and Caryn, you'll be reading more about her, you definitely get a  creepy vibe.
Tracey Phillips had me on the edge wondering is Morgan can solve Hallie's murder, as well as finally figure out what happened to Fay.
The ending on this had me spinning, can't say I saw that one coming.
I love Morgan's detective style and hope to read more about her investigations in the future!