Winning Your Blood Sugar Battle

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Dr Furman gives us a lot of information here about how to maintain your blood sugar at a normal level.  A lot of other diseases (particularly heart disease) can be caused by uncontrolled blood sugar. Very informative, easily understood guidelines as to diet, exercise and health.  For me, even though not diabetic, I have always been interested in how blood sugar can affect overall health so reading this has given me a lot more information in general about foods to avoid etc.  Dr Furman indicates that a lot could be gained by basically making small changes to your everyday habits.

After reading this, I will be making a few more lifestyle changes and now realise how important it is to do this.

Thank you to Revell, Netgalley and Dr Richard Furman for the ARC.  All opinions expressed are my own.
I was diagnosed borderline diabetic last year and decided to handle it by eating properly.
This I didn’t always manage so was put on medication.

I was so confused by good carbs, bad carbs, sugar.

I learnt a lot since then and am losing weight which is a huge bonus.

This book has added extra extension to my learning of the disease as well as not pulling back as telling you exactly what could/can happen if you don’t take control of it right now.
Yep, scary indeed.

But the author doesn’t leave it like that with you swimming an ocean of confusion. He lets you know what diabetes is, types of diabetes.

He teaches you how important it is to get exercise, even a walk daily will help.

The food.
What to have, what to have occasionally and what to avoid and why.

This has been one of the most impressive books I’ve read that’s been so helpful to me.
A great resource for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I loved the fact that there was an actual meal guide to help readers have a better idea of what to consume. This book was well written and quite detailed.
An informative book giving advice on how to eat healthy to reduce your weight and blood sugar levels. It also gives advice on exercise and changing your eating habits.
I will certainly be trying to follow some of this advice.
Thank you to NetGalley and Revell for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
As a T2 diabetic of over 10 years, I am always interested in reading anything new about it, particularly as after so long, there is a tendency to get somewhat blase and forget quite how serious a condition diabetes is.  Given that over 30 million people in the States alone have a diabetic diagnosis, and 80 million more are pre-diabetic, this is a real medical crisis and educating ourselves is absolutely vital.  That's where this book comes in.

The book is divided into two sections, Understanding Diabetes and Defeating Diabetes:  Lifestyle Choices for your Health.  In the first section he talks extensively about medication v lifestyle changes, understanding insulin resistance, diabetes and your heart and brain, and the midlife years.  In the second part he discusses exercise, diet, ideal weight and habits.  Throughout the book he brings in his experience with patients over the years.

This is a really extensive book, ideal for someone who may be prediabetic and wanting to learn what they can do to stop diabetes in its tracks, or someone newly diagnosed, or someone like me, an old timer who needs a refresher.  Indeed, someone who is simply overweight and wants to understand the risks would also really benefit from this book.  It is written in a very accessible, easy to read manner, while providing a serious amount of information and research.

Dr Furman's advice is practical, specific and he pulls no punches, either when spelling out all the risks of diabetes, or what major life changes are required if you really do want to avoid or overcome diabetes.  I recommend this to all diabetics, pre diabetics, their carers, the overweight, or just the concerned.  I will definitely be reading it again, as well as dipping in and out of it.

I received an eArc from the publisher via Netgalley, but this review is entirely unbiased and the words are my own.
This ARC was courtesy of netgalley - all thoughts and opinions are mine and unbiased

I was interested in this book because I have recently been diagnosed as diabetic and this is a very useful book filled with lots of helpful information

Well written, I liked the layout and styling of the book - very user friendly

This is a book I will spend lots of time dipping in and out of

Highly recommended
I'm diabetic and found this book very useful and informative.
I appreciated the clarity of the explanations and the style of writing.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
I love the way that Dr. Furman speaks to the reader on his/her level, rather than from a higher medical perspective.  There is scientific-speak, but then it's all explained in layman's terms.  Nothing is terribly new here in the way of ideas; what is new is the ideology and theory behind them being explained.  There are a few things I'd like to see discussed more in depth......for instance, what about folks with special needs, handicaps, etc who cannot employ some of the major strategies (ie, exercise for handicap)?  I'd like to see some of these topics addressed in an afternote or later chapter.