Cover Image: Get a Life, Chloe Brown

Get a Life, Chloe Brown

Super cute modern romance. Chloe and Red had great chemistry and I loved their relationship. I haven't read a romance before with a main character who has chronic pain and I thought overall Chloe and her experiences were covered fairly well. A fun and at times emotional read. Definitely will recommend and purchase for my library.
DNF @ 23%

I didn’t like some of the word choices in the... sexier scenes. I didn’t feel comfortable reading, which is sad because things started off very promising for me. I loved the representation of fibromyalgia in this book. I have fibromyalgia myself, although not nearly as bad as Chloe’s is. But the pain and the fevers and the brain fog are very familiar to me, and I didn’t realize that I was going to enjoy seeing myself in a book in this way. And the scene where Chloe climbs a tree to save a cat had me giggling so much. And her interactions with Red have been fun! But then when Red found himself alone in his room and took matters into his own hands (literally), I just got too grossed out by how that scene was written and worry it would happen again. I’m so disappointed!
This was just the romantic comedy I needed! I felt especially connected to Chloe and loved the depiction / inclusion of her chronic pain / chronic health issues. It is often a topic that is so rarely talked about (especially in books), but Hibbert did such a great job. I also appreciated that Hibbert was able to portray Chloe's health issues without falling into the stereotypical "oh poor me" trope. It was a breath of fresh air, and I loved it! I can't wait for (hopefully) more from Tibbert. Thanks to Netgalley for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.
I would say this is a 3.5. Chloe Brown lives a life of lists and pain.  As she struggles with fibromyalgia, her life needs to improve.  By creating a “get a life” list, she challenges herself to experience new things including Red, the superintendent of the flat where she lives.  I can relate to Chloe as I struggle with this condition and am a list maker to fault, but the story is lacking. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not lacking in hotness which is a 10 on the scale, but there isn’t more to the story than two people working through their issues to find one another.  It is definitely a made for Hallmark book but an X-rating. Depending on what you interests are at the moment, I would recommend it and I plan on reading the next book in the series about Chloe's sister, Dani.

Thank you allowing me to read the advanced copy.
closer to 3.5. I enjoyed the building relationship between these characters as well as the relationship between Chloe and her sisters. I'll look for more books by Hibbert.
This book! I read a lot of romance, from all genres, and I'm so impressed by all the ways that that romance has diversified in the past decade. Get a Life, Chloe Brown was something special - funny, honest, beautifully-written, and with a protagonist who is not only a woman of color, but also plus size and living with fibromyalgia. All of it was handled perfectly. The romance itself was lovely as well!

This is a book I'd recommend to readers new to or skeptical of romance, as well as readers who enjoy a heartwarming story.
I started this book when I was in really desperate need of a pick-me-up, and it did not disappoint.  In fact, I've read it again twice more because it was such a book that really hit the sweet spot between wonderful characters and a very satisfying story.  I adore Red and Chloe so much, and they felt so real to me.  I loved that Talia Hibbert didn't shy away from giving the good, the bad, and the ugly of a chronic condition without feeling hopeless.  Chloe had challenges that affected her life, and how she functioned in the world, but it didn't change her into being nothing but her illness, or stop her from wanting to challenge herself or take risks.  Even though Red doesn't have physical setbacks in the same way, he was dealing with emotional wounds.  One of the most satisfying pieces of this story was the journey that Chloe and Red take from bad first impressions, to finding ways to help and support each other.  This book is a warm cup of tea - you'll want to settle in with this characters, root for them, and return to visit them again and again.
*I voluntarily read and reviewed ARCs of these books. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

I adore Talia Hibbert. Honestly, how does she keep coming up with these amazing characters? I swear I fall in love with all of them and Chloe and Red are no exception.

I took too long getting to writing this review though, so I'll be brief with what I remember and from what I've got in my notes.

The characters here are so well written, I found myself connecting and rooting for them almost immediately. Their banter was on point! I smiled pretty much every time they talked.

The way Talia Hibbert writes about emotions, how real she is with her dialogue... it hits the heart. The characters are perfect, they know this, they know they have problems, obstacles, and illness that they have to overcome and compromise with AND that this is something they have to learn as a couple as well. The reassurances between them, the acknowledgements and acceptance between them had me holding back tears for half the book.

What a fantastic book this is. Seriously, this is one I'll be recommend to everyone and I cannot wait to get my hands on the next one!!
If you think the phrase "bucket list" is played out, this novel revitalizes the idea. When Chloe Brown has a near death experience, she gets serious about living. The novel is about Chloe working through her "Get a Life List", has a saucy romance thrown in, and happens to feature Chloe's autoimmune illness without being *about* her chronic pain.
Absolutely loved this fast talking, cuteness overload, rom-com of a book with amazing characters and stellar dialogue.
This was genuinely one of my favourite 2019 reads.
I'd only read one of Talia's previous books and knew that I liked Talia's voice going in.
I didn't expect such a treat though.
Red and Chloe were such relatable characters even though I had been through nothing like either of them have.
To have Chloe's illness be such a massive part of her daily existance, but at the same time it wasn't the only part of her character we saw.
How Red came to understand that and encourage Chloe to still be the master of her own destiny was such a joy to watch.
It wasn't that he put his own needs second, but that he ensured Chloe was able to put her own needs first.
I have a soft soft for a curmudgeonly hero, especially when they turn out to be teddy bear's like Red.

I got a small insight into what invisible illness look like on a day to day basis, this was an empathetic book without being preachy. It wasn't a book that pulled on your heart strings for dramatic effect, more like a heated, weighted blanket of a book.

Utterly fantastic and deserves all the accolades.
I had high hopes for this book as it was hyped to the hills before publication, but unfortunately this one wasn't for me. My brain could not reconcile with the characters use of language and the actions were off to me as well. Now, with that being said, I am definitely in the minority with my feeling of this book and characters. Many readers identify and love the diversity in race and ability.

Thank you to Netgalley and HarperCollins Publishers for the opportunity to review this book.
This is a fun book, although a little too cute at times. I appreciated Chloe's quirkiness, as well as the fact that Hibbert represented a character with chronic pain as a romantic protagonist.
There was so much to love about this.   This book was centered about Chloe Brown, whose life has changed with fibromyalgia.  After nearly getting hit by a car, Chloe realizes that she hasn't been living, and puts pen to paper with a list of things she wants to do.  One of the biggest items on her list was moving out of her parents house.  She moves into her own place, where Red (Redford) is the building's handyman.  Red is the complete opposite of Chloe, who is blue collar where Chloe is upper class British.  While she gives the impression that she doesn't like him, Chloe finds him very attractive and eventually recruits him to help her with her list.

I loved that author did not define Chloe by her illness.  She is smart, funny, witty, and have her quirks.  I loved that this book shed light on an illness that is not visible, and is often misunderstood.  Red was a great partner.  He was not overbearing, and let Chloe decide when she had reached her limits

Quite a pleasant read.
#ownvoices!

Chloe is an upper class British Black woman with fibromyalgia (think pain, lots of pain, unpredictable and chronic) whose life narrowed after the onset of her condition. A brush with death leads to to create a bucket list, including moving to her own place. Which is where she meets the building's super, Red, an artist who has done his own evasion of life because of a past bad relationship.

Chloe is prickly but good-hearted, and Red is cheerful and VERY handy, as it happens. It's a fun book, light-hearted, but with some cliched writing in places. (Where outside of a Twilight book/movie has anyone bit their lip so much?)

Romance novels where the two main characters are working first in parallel and then together to become the people they want to be are my jam. I'll probably check out the future sequels starring Chloe's sisters.

Received a copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I adored Talia Hibbert’s Get a Life, Chloe Brown and devoured it in one sitting on an airplane. Chloe Brown’s voice has this undeniable quality that makes the reader love her. She’s dealing with chronic illness and the book is about learning to live with it rather than letting it consume her. She moves out of her wealthy parents’ house and writes a bucket list (gotta love a girl who loves a list). Then she meets Red, who works in her building, and he ends up helping her cross items off her list. The relationship between Red and Chloe is really sweet, and Red sees her as the strong independent woman that she is. He helps her get out of her comfort zone but never forces her to do anything too soon. Through the bucket list, they’re able to grow together and work past Chloe’s insecurities as well as Red’s, which come from being burned by a previous relationship. I loved how this dual POV allowed us to hear how each character truly saw the other. One of my favorite things Hibbert does is having the characters communicate and talk through misunderstandings before they blow up. I can’t wait to read more of Talia Hibbert’s books.
I loved this book! It covered so many great topics and covered them well. It’s not often you find a book that will handle tough topics with class. This book is heavy on the steam so it may not be for everyone. If you don’t mind steam then I highly recommend this one!
As romance novels continue to soar to the top of bestseller lists, so too does the variety of authors and heroines we see from this fantastically diverse genre. British author Talia Hibbert is just one of these gems, and having written over a dozen books by the age of 23, it seems that she will continue to appear on numerous readers’ TBR and “Best Of” lists. Now, with GET A LIFE, CHLOE BROWN, Hibbert turns her keen, sensitive eye to the eponymous Chloe Brown, a chronically ill and unstoppably fierce young woman who is ready to kick her life into high gear after years of sticking to the safest paths. What she finds on the fast lane is superintendent Redford “Red” Morgan, a tattooed, motorcycle-riding artist who just might be the one to help her cross “Do something bad” off her bucket list.

Chloe is a feisty, sarcastic and flawlessly dressed young woman who is smart, funny and dedicated to her obsessive list-making. Although she dreams of having it all, her fibromyalgia often leaves her choosing the safe path for fear of ending up in a pain-induced haze or, worse, clouded by the medications she must use to manage her symptoms. Although her family --- especially her sisters, Dani and Eve --- are endlessly supportive, Chloe is desperate to avoid becoming or feeling like a burden, so she often lies about her excessive pain, choosing instead to make excuses as to why she can’t attend karaoke parties or join her sisters at get-togethers at the drop of a hat. But she gets a new lease on life when she is killed in a car accident --- well, nearly...okay, she’s not really injured or even close to being injured at all. But the crash provides a rude awakening to Chloe, and she creates a list of things to do to “get a life.”

First things first, Chloe moves out of her wealthy family’s house to her own place --- the apartment is more economical, but it is hers. The only problem with her newfound freedom is Red, her building’s super, who is painfully nice to everyone he meets --- except her. Through sheer luck and coincidence, Red always manages to run into Chloe when she is at her worst: making an elderly resident cry, yelling at a dog, getting stuck in a tree. Of course, there are reasons for all of Chloe’s actions, but all Red can see is the stuck-up, snobby young woman who seems so self-assured and confident that he cannot help but dislike her at least a little. Hibbert writes the couple’s various meet-cutes with such biting humor and raw irony that you cannot help but laugh.

On the other hand, Red is dealing with his own issues. His mother’s diabetes has caused her to go blind in one eye, but she is still watching (and commenting on) his every move. Reeling from a vicious breakup, Red is feeling a bit stuck --- he isn’t dating, he isn’t selling art and he’s mostly just unclogging toilets for the residents of his best friend’s building. Worst of all, his newest resident, Chloe Brown, is so darned cute and smart that he turns into a fool around her --- and it doesn’t help that she reminds him exactly of his ex, a rich, beautiful socialite who was accustomed to having the world handed to her on a golden platter. Red’s obsession with wealth speaks to some deep hurts, and Hibbert fleshes out his judgments of Chloe with a smart, educated mind. She does not merely drop weighty subjects onto the table; she unpacks them, weighs them against one another, and asks her readers to approach them with empathy and compassion --- the same way she treats her characters.

It is no secret that opposites attract, and Chloe and Red are a natural rom-com pairing, but what sets GET A LIFE, CHLOE BROWN apart is the depth that Hibbert gives her characters. For many authors, it would be enough to give us a chronically ill woman of color, check off the “diversity” box and call it a day --- but Hibbert really shows readers of all backgrounds what it is like to live in Chloe’s body. We feel her pain and celebrate her milestones, and through it all, we see how deeply human she is and how thoroughly her illness affects her life --- without defining it. Chloe’s emotional pain takes longer to show itself, but when it does, you will want to have the tissues ready and, ideally, a fluffy pet to snuggle.

Despite the heaviness of emotion that Hibbert infuses into this book, it is still a delightfully fun and sexy rom-com --- with all the elements one would expect, including some steamy bedroom scenes. Red and Chloe play off against each other perfectly, and their mistaken perceptions of the other lead to some laugh-out-loud moments and even more tear-jerking scenes of emotional upheaval. Through it all, Chloe’s devious sisters provide comedic foil, and their love for Chloe and desire for her happiness will warm even the coldest heart.

Hibbert has long strived to celebrate and uphold marginalized voices in her work, and I think GET A LIFE, CHLOE BROWN is truly the book that will propel her --- and her wonderful, beloved characters --- into the mainstream. Her compassion, curiosity and endless patience for her characters and readers speaks wonders, and I am so happy that this is just the first in a series. Chloe Brown has gotten a life --- now you just have to get ready to read about it.
I loved this so, so much! It was fun, it was meaningful, it had great (and diverse!) characters...and a cat! Really hard to find a flaw with this one. I can't wait to read more from this author!
I tried reading this book and I got a few chapters in and I just couldn't do it anymore. I wasn't a huge fan of the writing. I found myself rolling my eyes pretty frequently every time the banter was trying to be funny. I also got annoyed with almost every page saying bloody this and bloody that. This just wasn't my cup of tea. I'm sure the romance story was cute but I just couldn't force myself to read it. I know a lot of people love this book and that's great. It just wasn't for me. It could also be that I'm a mood reader and it's just not what I was in the mood to read at the time. It has a cute premise and cute cover and it's dearly loved by many readers. I wanted to like this one, I just didn't.