The Shawshank Redemption Revealed

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 Sep 2019

This book based on Shawshank Redemption was very informative. I loved the film, so this book held my interest as well into learning more about the film. They go over how the casting was organized, how the actors were selected and why, who was also up for the roles, as well as the scouting locations. Its also nice to hear the comments from actors 25 years after the film and how they view it. They also go into why this film was popular, despite a poor box office performance. I advertise a lot of films around the library as well as books about films and I will recommend this to anyone who loved Shawshank Redemption.
Perfect for any fan of The Shawshank Redemption film! Such a tremendous tribute to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the movie's release. With plenty of tidbits and unknown facts about the movie, this was very enjoyable to read.
The Shawshank Redemption Revealed by Mark Dawidziak is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late August.

Dawidziak gets chatty, aw-shucksy, and babbly once he really gets going on a topic and it spills over into the critical and interview-style responses. It goes into the birth of the film as a novella before its pre-production, casting, choosing indoor and exterior locations (nearly all in Ohio), photographs of actors and props, chats with different actors and actresses, the filming itself, post-production, deleted scenes, delayed fame on home-video and TV, reunions, and its legacy.
First off, I can't believe that it's been 25 years since this movie first graced the big screen. Wow! The fact that this movie is still getting written about, ran on movie channels fairly often and referred to frequently demonstrates its staying power.
I loved this book for all of the little nuggets that weren't known before. The inside info that makes me enjoy a film even more...
There is rarely a time that I don't get 'shawshanked' when this movie is spotted on the channel guide. It's a guilty pleasure that always has me teary eyed at that last scene and cheering for Andy at the scene that shows the power of the human spirit. (I don't want to spoil anything for those poor souls who haven't sat through this phenomenal film. I do want to ask though - what are you waiting for???)
This is a must-read for film buffs. I received an Advance Review Copy of this book. All opinions are my own. #bookstagram
Thought provoking book! The author brings up several points of interest, that even with seeing the movie multiple times were still a new avenue of thought!

I received an advance reader copy for a fair review. The thoughts expressed are my own.
The Shawshank Redemption is one of my favourite movies.  Amazingly when it came out 25 years ago, it didn't do so well.  Over the years, because it's been on TV so much and word of mouth encouraged rentals, it has grown in popularity.  In fact, it is now the highest rated movie of all time on IMDB!

In honour of its 25th anniversary (it came out in 1994), this book details anything and everything you've ever wanted to know about the movie.  The book is divided into four sections:

* The differences between Stephen King's novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and the movie and King talking about Shawshank
* The production and making of the movie
* Post production, release and reviews
* Interpretation, afterlife and legacy

There are interviews with major stars like Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.  But there are also interviews with actors who had minor roles (such as the actor who played the golf pro who was having an affair with Andy's wife, the actress who played Andy's cheating wife, the actress who played the teller at the bank at the end who had just fourteen words to say and many more) and with local residents of Mansfield, Ohio, where the movie was filmed, many of whom had parts as extras along with other actors.  It was interesting to get the scoop on how it affect their lives and the town during and after.

Any time it comes on TV, I get "Shawshanked" ... yes, that is apparently a verb meaning sucked into watching it yet again regardless of where it is in the movie.  Do you?  It's been a while since I've seen it so I'm going to have to watch it soon since I now have all this insight.
Full of revelations and juicy secrets about not only the movie but the book that has become such a cultural icon over the years. Informative, enjoyable and a part of history. 5/5 stars.
One of my all time favorite movies! So inspirational. I am so glad Mr. Dawidziak took the time to research the movie, it will add so much to the enjoyment of the film the next time I watch it. Loads of info about the film I didn't know about. I am sure the film has a huge fan base who will want to read this book. Kudos to the author!
This is simply excellent. I'm sure there are flaws, but they're probably minor if you're interested in a deep dive into this film. The author covers background, writers, extras, lead actors, sets, props, sound, buildings, towns, locations, scripts, directors, roads, fans, uber fans, beer, reviews, legacy, photos, Steven King, and more. Excellent research went into this book and it shows.

I like the film but not a die hard fan, so I found the book interesting. Maybe the only flaws are there is probably too much detail (for me) and maybe more script insights would be good. But those are minor.

I really appreciate the ARC for review!!
I always get "Shawshanked" when the movie is on tv, so I thought this would an interesting read. It was insightful and poignant and much better than I thought it would be. I enjoyed reading about how much the movie meant to everyone involved with making it and how it continues to have an impact on the world today, 25 years later. And the little known facts that were provided, that I didn't know before, it will definitely add to my viewing pleasure when I watch the movie again. The book was well written. Mr. Dawidziak really did his homework when researching for this book.
As a huge fan of the movie The Shawshank Redemption, I found this book to be highly engaging and informative. It was interesting to learn about what is was like during the shooting of the film as well as the many Ohioans who were involved. I was captivated by their memories of the filming, as well as why the film was so important to the. This book made me love the film even more.