Fortuna Sworn

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Jul 2019

Although the blurb for this was certainly intriguing, and I liked the look of the cover, this unfortunately just wasn’t the book for me.

Nothing wrong with it precisely, I just couldn’t seem to get going, so perhaps just one of those things!

Altogether, the blurb and the writing style made it appeal to me, but sadly... not one I would personally return to, and one I sadly couldn’t finish.
I first came across  Kelsey Sutton when I read her YA fantasy SMOKE AND KEY which I really enjoyed. I thought it was dark, whimsical. and original with the fascinating world she created called Under.

Unfortunately, I read about  50% into FORTUNA SWORN but I just lost interest. I was so excited to read it and looking forward to similar writing as Smoke and Key, but the world and story just did not feel unique and capture my attention liked I had hoped. I did enjoy the atmospheric writing and hope to try her other series in the future.
Fortuna Sworn is an ADULT Paranormal Fantasy book, We followed Fortuna a last "Nightmare" creature who can live among human, her ability is to be able to manipulate Fear, she tried to find her brother Damon and met a beautiful Faerie Collith who took her to Unseelie Court underground. I really loved the writing style of the book it’s easy and fast pace love the diversity in the fae world. My only problem was I didn’t connect with the characters as much as I had liked
3.75 stars.

I really enjoyed reading through this especially the dark moments despite it having some troupey stuff.

Plot wise, it had its up and downs but I enjoyed the pacing and the writing style. It had its cliche and convenient moments but I'm loving where it's heading. It's obvious that it has reverse harem elements as well though I like those.

Character wise, I'm not sure how to feel about Fortuna half the time because she's so impulsive and hot headed without thinking of the consequences of her anger. As for Collith, I feel like he barely did much and was there for decoration. But I liked that he's hiding too many things and haven't revealed much despite it having consequences too.

Overall, I enjoyed this a lot and want to read the next one! I like where that cliffhanger ended and the indications of what's to come. My most favorite part is that usually fairies can't lie in other books but here, they can, which makes things very interesting and makes you question whatever they say.

Trigger warning: sexual content and torture/gore.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with the digital copy for an honest review.
If you can't have enough faeries and enjoying adult fantasy, this book is for you.

Fortuna have been searching her missing brothers for two years with no clues and hints of his survival. So when a stranger—a beautiful and mysterious stranger—come to her to tell that he knows where her brother is, she'd do anything to bring him home.
But her decision bring danger to herself as she dig deeper into the darkest part of the faerie world.

I must admit, any books about faeries always intrigues me (for now). So when I stumbled upon Fortuna Sworn, I couldn't resist to request and read it. I didn't set a high expectation, afraid it'll dissapoint me. Thank heaven, I was blown-away by the story, the twists, the schemes! With the presence of several supernatural beings with their unique powers, this book is so much more than it looks like.

I loved how Sutton portrayed the faeries as a cunning yet gorgeous creatures. Exploring their secrest and darker side was so much fun. The world-building was detailed, it amazed me everytime. I finished this book faster than I thought I would thanks to that and because the writing flowed flawlessly. At first, I can still guess what would happen. Though it bothers me sometimes if the story is predictable, it doesn't apply to this book. Gladly, there were some unexpected twists that swept me off of my feet!

The characters have strong characterizations and it made this book feel more alive. I guess this is a crucial thing to add more spicy to the political intrigues. I loved Fortuna! She was the typical of brave, strong, badass female character. But she wasn't afraid of playing dirty and speak up if it meant to protect her loved ones. There were so many jaw-dropping moments when she let go of her power to make her enemies trembled.

I also addicted to the romance! Definitely can't get enough of it. Collith wasn't like what I expected. His secrets and charisma, a powerful combination to make him a dangerous male. But his relationship with Fotuna contained a thick sexual tension. I felt the air crackled whenever they interacted, especially if it turned into something more! Though, after everything that happened, I'm not sure anymore about them.

Overall, I really enjoyed Fortuna Sworn! A dark story filled with cunning faeries, mysteries, betrayals, awesome characters, unexpected twists, and addicting romance. If you're looking for a great next read, I really recommend this book.
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the world the author created and the characters. The story line was great. I can’t wait for book number 2 to be released!
I got about 50% into this when I decided to put it down. I was originally so excited to read this. The cover is gorgeous and the blurb made it seem like this would be right up my alley. Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. This was very much a book I've read before over and over again, and because of this, it didn't have that magic and whimsy I expected from a novel like this. Overall, this was just okay for me, and if I had more time I would have possibly pushed on just for something familiar.
This is the book I have read from author K.J. Sutton and I must say I have mixed feelings. I enjoy reading fantasy, but this book seemed to be lacking something. The book itself has a lot of potential, so because of that I am not totally hating it.

The main character Fortuna being the last of her kind lives amongst the humans until she meets a powerful faerie. In this story-line Fortuna personifies nightmare, but I do not see the character(s) being totally developed. It seemed as if some parts of the book were not necessary the writing of the author. Maybe it was the way it was written? I would have liked to see Colith, Laurie and Oliver's character more developed.

That being said, I am looking forward to the next book. I am certain it will be much better.

I received this book free of charge in exchange for my honest opinion.
I liked and hated this book. It could've been great. But the author seems to have copied ideas from authors like Maas, Clare, and Meyers. Some scenes in Fortuna Sworn seemed to have been copied directly from A Court of Thornes and Roses and Throne of Glass. The characters had potential, and the protagonist's abilities set her apart from other YA novel characters.  Poor execution and mediocre writing. Two stars for what it could have been.
So I didn’t even look at the blurb, I picked this book purely because the cover is FABULOUS.

I have read A LOT of fantasy books centered around faeries, but Fortuna Sworn brought a breathe of fresh air to the genre (is genre the right word?) for me.

Fortuna is an intriguing character, as she is loyal to a fault, which is something that usually annoys me in a main character, but this time it workd.

The book spends a lot of time on world building that might be off putting to some, but as it’s the first book in a series, I’m fine with that. The writing pulls me in even though the story itself takes a backseat sometimes.

The world K.J. Sutton created is a dark, but fantastical one and I just love it. I can’t wait for book 2

*I received a free eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Fortuna Sworn is a paranormal romance that follows the protagonist, Fortuna, a girl that lives in the human world but she is a Nightmare, a special being with very unique powers.
Fortuna's brother is missing and she caught the interest of a powerful Fae, Colith. Then, her journey begins.
There are things I really loved in this book and things I didn't like too.
Overall, it was a good read, it was entertaining and I recommend it to people who enjoy paranormal romance, or fantasy romance;)

TW: Death, Torture, Slavery, Sex Scenes.
This book was a lot darker than I expected but! In the best way possible.......

I read this until 1:30 am so I don’t have a lot to say other than I’m ready for the next book!

Wow that ending though......
«Haven’t you heard?” Jassin leaned close. […] “Hell is empty, and all the devils are here.”

This book somehow pissed me off. I couldn’t tell you why, because it’s not a bad book. If you like the whole thing about faes and the unseelie court and that whole stuff, it’s very possible that you’ll like this book very much.

I loved the idea of Fortuna being an actual Nightmare. Not in the sense of she’s just fucking annoying, but as in literal nightmare species. Would’ve gone with the word Nachtmahr (sounds way more dangerous and is the German word for mare, which is a malicious entity that sits on your chest while you sleep and brings bad dreams (hence nightmares)), but that’s not the point here. She’s pretty bamf, all things considered, and has her goals set out and will not be stopped by anything.
That doesn’t happen often enough, imo, too often the heroine gets distracted by something glittery or a stupid love interest. Very well done, her powers were intriguing.

As you can see, it wasn’t bad. The book was actually pretty good. As I said, I don’t know why so many details (and it’s very miniscule details) bothered me so much, and you are allowed to call me petty, but I’m going to rant about every little thing that shouldn’t have bothered me as much as it did.

Again. This book was not bad. It was quite enjoyable, even. I think I just went into this at the wrong time or maybe I am still mentally scarred from my short dabble with Sarah J. Maas books that I absolutely hated and didn’t recover from.
I really wanted to give this three stars, even if I personally didn’t enjoy it, but while writing my bullet pointed rant you can see below, I just got too annoyed, so two stars it is. Sorry ‘bout that.

Tl;dr: Fortuna Sworn was a pretty solid book with lots of things going on and a very interesting main character. I’m just being a bitch about small things that shouldn’t bother me.

Avert your eyes now if you don’t want to see me nag about every little thing now, thanks:
•	Why does a Nightmare even feel fear? I feel like that’s an evolutionary flaw, since they’re basically fear itself. May not apply for descendants of angels, idk
•	I literally read the sentence “[I] tightened my ponytail and went back inside” twice (p. 27 & 40)
•	It is very clearly mentioned that the chambers door does not have a latch and will open even if only knocked on slightly (p. 59), and yet, Fortuna keeps slamming the door shut (p. 92, 176, 200, 246). If a door has no latch, it will not stay closed and slamming it will only make it awkward for all parties involved
•	Fortuna keeps describing [spoiler]’s scent as subtle, and then in the next scene it’s the first thing she notices when he entered. Sorry, girl, but if you smell him before you see him, it ain’t subtle
•	Another thing about smell: it makes no sense that he has this strong smell, but his skin tastes like nothing (p. 122)
•	Another nice contradiction I found: “his skin was smooth and unexpectedly cold” (p. 34) and “I felt him there, a spot of cold” (p. 52), but described as “deliciously warm” (p. 122) later on
•	Why does Fortuna mention she saw faes of Mexican, Indian and Chinese descent (p. 112), but literally all the important characters are your average white guy fae? You can correct me of this if I missed or forgot a description (Zara doesn’t count, she’s mentioned on three different occasions only)
•	I don’t know who started it, but stop calling faes male and female instead of man and woman. A human automatically thinks of man and woman if they’re faced with humanoids that offer the same gendered aspects as humans do (say, boobs). Call them man and woman or have the balls to throw genders out of the window and refer to everyone as they. Thanks.
•	Also, why does everything concerning faes have those weird and unfitting sex scenes? Is that from some source material I’ve managed to avoid?

I’m done now with my rant. All quotes (and sources) are taken from my own digital ARC, so those may not be in the same place as they are in your copy.

Thanks to the author and Netgalley for providing this ARC!
I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley to give a voluntary honest review. This review contains only my own thoughts and opinions of this book.

I was so ready to fall in love with Fortuna Sworn (both book and character) early on. The story had a very intriguing and unique starting point, with Fortuna being a personified Nightmare caged and ready to be sold. Her soulful personality and sorrowful life, as well as the appearance of the very mysterious and charming Collith completely drew me in from the get go. I found myself wanting to fall in love the story and characters immediately. However, as much as I wanted to there were just something significant missing in the story for me to do just that.

For lack of a better explanation the book lacked personality, both story-wise and character-wise. I guess both of them kind of goes hand in hand though since a really good story needs complex, emotional and realistically flawed characters to give the story some soul. Now, I wouldn’t go so far as saying that there was no soul or zero personalities. In the beginning I actually really did feel for Fortuna and I could easily relate to her as a character being in a scary situation she had no control over. Collith being so mysterious was very interesting and had a bit of a sass to him. Both were in fact very enjoyable character to read about. When deceit and drama was thrown onto the mix I was one hundred percent invested.

I don’t know what happened after that though. It was like the book had reached its peak and had nowhere to go but downhill. All that drama and loose ends I expected Fortuna to deal with was just left in the air unacknowledged. She never really confronted Collith or showed any true anger towards him after what he let happen to her. There was perhaps some resentment and distrust, but that was it. She just let it go and focused on the trials and saving her brother instead. Building up such drama in one chapter only to completely let it go the next was so unsatisfying, but even more so when she treated Collith as an ally after what he had done.

From then on most of what made the main characters interesting and real sort of disappeared in the background. I was mostly disappointed with Collith. I really thought ... no, actually I really expected him to have a bigger part and bigger impact to the story. He became almost a sideline character instead. There, but not really there and that charming sass he displayed in the beginning were nowhere to be seen. He didn’t show much of any emotion other than what we readers had to be told he felt. Fortuna on the other hand went a different way. From being slightly sorrowful but compassionate she became vengeful and cruel, exacting revenge on anyone who had wronged her, even just slightly. In a nutshell she became a typical case of the bullied becoming the bully. I don’t think I’ve ever gone from loving a character to being annoyed with said character so fast. Fortuna however managed it.

Do not let me mislead you though. The book was still much enjoyable despite all that and I really enjoyed all the mysterious “are they real?” characters such as Oliver and Laurie. There is also a lot of mystery behind Fortuna and Collith as well and because of the issue above I feel a bit deprived of a real romance between them. I am hopeful that the next book will clear up a lot of the unanswered questions and that a bigger and more impactful development will take place. I am looking forward to continue with the series.
This was a fun and quick read. I enjoyed how the author incorporated all the mystical creatures together. I look forward to reading more stuff from this author.

Rating 3.5
I loved the concept of Fortuna being a nightmare as we're having an over saturation of fairies, fae vampires and other in the YA market.
The cover is absolutely stunning, it's a fairly quick read, but I didn't connect with any of the characters at all and I wanted a more fleshed out world.
The ending gave it a bit of a lift, but not enough for me to wanting to continue the series.
I can recommend Fortuna Sworn if you like cruel fae stories a la Cruel Prince (which I also disliked) maybe, but this one isn't what I am looking for in a book.
I will start with what I liked about this book. The author used a unique supernatural creature, Nightmare, for the main character. It was a refreshing change from an overpowered werewolf or vampire. However, what I liked ended there.

The main character Fortuna Sworn has been hunting down her brother for the past 2 years after he went missing. She ends up meeting some fae, who she marries in 2 minutes and goes through some adventures in the Unseelie Court that lead her closer to her brother. Fortuna immediately comes off as someone with a weak understanding of people, and not in a way that positively furthers the book. She has a friend who exists in her head who she cruelly uses for sexual pleasure and someone to rant to about how sad her life is. Her brother, from the way he was written by the author, seems genuinely in love, but Fortuna just tries to selfishly ruin it for him.

I enjoy reading how different authors interpret Unseelie Courts in their book, and I was sorely disappointed with the way this one was done. There was not a lot of world-building, which meant I was not very invested in the events that occurred in the court. The ordeals that Fortuna went through felt really easy and like a knock off ACOTAR. The character growth was non-existent yet her position had changed greatly, so her victory at the end felt cheaply won. In addition, the relationship between herself and the fae was 2d and I felt nothing for them.

This book bummed me out because although it was rife with cliches, I could still see where the author could have rewritten it to be even better. There was a decent cliff hanger at the end of the book so I have hopes that if the author continues this series, the books will get better.
I really enjoyed this book, I’ve never met a character quite like Fortuna. Fortuna is very different, she wants to find her brother and in the meantime finds a great guy.

The book ended on a cliffhanger and I am excited to see what else happens...
I was given this book free from NetGalley an exchange for my honest review.
3🌟———————————-
this was a quick and easy romantic fantasy story.

So, what’s this book about?
This book follows Fortuna, a Nightmare, who is still searching for her long lost brother. When a strange fairy appears and tells her he knows where he is she will do anything to get to her brother even if it means marrying a stranger.

My thoughts
this was fun. The romance is a very central part of the story so if that’s not your thing i wouldn’t recommend it but if you are okay with that i definitely recommend it. One of  my favorite aspects of the story was definitely fortuna herself. She’s a badass.

this was entertaining
fortuna is cool
i’m happy i read this while traveling
it was easy to digest
I really enjoyed this book, the world building was fantastic, I’ve never met a character like Fortuna, I how different she was and how she was always just unapologetically herself.

The book ended on a cliffhanger and I will definitely be looking out for book 2!