Dachshund Through the Snow

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Oct 2019

Another great David Rosenfelt book! In this one, Andy Carpenter, well-to-do lawyer and dog lover defends two clients. The first is a police K-9, who the police are not allowing to retire, though his handler is retiring.  They plan to transfer Simon, the K-9, to drug enforcement and a new handler. His handler thinks this move will put Simon at a disadvantage.  He already had arthritis, and all the standing the new job will require will only exacerbate the condition. Naturally, Andy goes to bat for Simon, the K-9, suing the police department for discrimination against a species. The question is whether Andy will win, or whether Simon will be stuck in the drug enforcement division. The other case involves a cold-case murder. In this case, Andy defends a once youth now older man in a case where he is accused of killing a young woman years ago. Andy, as usual, spends his time tracking down leads and interviewing people involved to ferret out the clues from the red herrings, all to prove that the man is innocent.  This case, however, involves much more than life in Patterson, NJ, as the story’s tentacles spread out far beyond.

This is another great addition to the series by the author.  In this one, unlike some of the others, dogs figure more prominently, as it should be. (I read the books for the dogs and miss them when they are barely mentioned.) Andy and his lovely wife are as competent and professional as usual.  The rest of Andy’s crew also figure prominently.  In this case, Simon, the K-9 and his handler, also figure prominently, and will, I suspect,  become a fixture in future books. I enjoyed reading the book.  The setting is the Christmas holidays, but there is not much about the holidays in the book beyond the setting, so don’t pick it up expecting a Christmas story. Followers of other books in the series will enjoy this one.  If you haven’t read any others, this can be read as a stand-alone and will probably capture your interest to seek out others in the series.  I received this from NetGalley to read and review.
“Dachshund Through the Snow” by David Rosenfelt is the latest Andy Carpenter adventure, and an adventure it is. New readers will be immediately pulled into the story through the compelling opening. Regular readers will find the whole familiar gang Andy Carpenter, wife Laurie, son Ricky, and of course dogs Tara and Sebastian, all anticipating the upcoming holiday/football season.
Rosenfelt’s characters are affable, relaxed, likeable, and yet focused and diligent when necessary. The first person narrative by Carpenter is a little self-deprecating, a little sarcastic, very humorous, and always focused on his dogs, other peoples’ dogs, and, actually, just the wellbeing of dogs in general.
This is an absorbing detective story  with a  challenging client, and complicated adversaries, however, when the chips are down,  Carpenter rises to the occasion with excellent intuition, focused  investigative skills, and brilliant (in his opinion) legal tactics to save the day for all.
The entire Andy Carpenter series is just entertaining to read, and “Dachshund Through the Snow” is no exception. Rosenfelt includes plenty of Carpenter’s trademark humor and dedication to justice with a dash of violence but without buckets of blood and gore.   There is also a fun product placement for Rosenfelt’s other books; “He also has two books on the night table, including a thriller by David Rosenfelt, who I hear is terrific.” I received a review copy of “Dachshund Through the Snow” from David Rosenfelt and St Martin’s Press. It is compelling, suspenseful, and makes me wish that Tara and Sebastian could just save everyone.
Dachshund Through The Snow is the 20th installment in this series.  I enjoyed this one as much as the first.  The writing is very well done.  It holds my interest, the characters are well developed.  I hope David Rosenfelt writes 20 more on this series.
What's better than man's best friend....a David Rosenfelt book about a dog!  Or three....
Andy Carpenter is one of the best protagonists.  He retired, but not really;. he's rich, but gives back to the community; he solves the case, but with help with his ace team of family and friends (former co-workers, smart aleck friends).  And the dogs!!
Andy's style is straightforward, common sense, and he makes fun of himself.  Most of all, it's a feel good book in the relationships and how he goes to bat for his clients who have all the odds against themselves.  I scramble to add each book to my collection and the cover art and punny titles are too notch!

And no, I'm not going to spoil the story for you...but curl up with some tea or whatever favorite beverage and your lapdog and dig in to this latest caper!
When's the next one?
Dachshund Through the Snow by David Rosenfelt is the 20th book in the Andy Carpenter series, and another great addition.  I found this book to be really charming.  The characters and plot are well developed and kept my interest from beginning to the end.  I highly recommend this book and the series.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and St. Martin's Press.  Thank you.
Well written and an altogether enjoyable read. This work caught my attention at the beginning and held it throughout the novel. Loved it! Thanks to netgalley, the author and the publisher for allowing me to read this book in exchange for my humble opinions. I would definately but more works from this author.
David Rosenfelt  involves Andy Carpenter, lawyer and investigator,  with multiple murders surrounding the killing of young lady fourteen years ago.  Dachshund through the Snow is the dog of young Danny who wants a sweater for his dachshund and the return of his missing father.  The father turns up and is arrested for the old case, but Andy decides to defend him. At this point bodies start dropping.  Humour in this Christmas cozy accompanies all the corpses. Will Danny and his dad be reunited in time for Christmas?
David Rosenfelt is one of my very favorite authors so my review may be just a little slanted....but not really.  When an author has spent the time and effort to develop a world of characters that fit so well together and then sets them into the middle of some very unusual law and order situations, the end results are sure to be entertaining.  Andy Carpenter is a lawyer who only defends cases that would not interest other lawyers.  He is surrounding by a support team that keeps Andy on his toes.  This time he defends a german shepard who is trying to retire early from the police department!  Along the way, Andy picks up another client with an equally interesting case.  If you have not read any of this series, start now.  If you like Stephanie Plum or Kinsey Millhone, you'll love Andy Carpenter.
I enjoyed this little mystery and read it in one sitting. David Rosenfelt does such a good job with his mysteries. I LOVE the cover!! Dachshunds are my favorite. Cute book and I have ordered it for the library.
4.5 stars. This was terrific! There are some great new characters in this one that help the team (and this book teases Rosenfelt's new series, The K Team, launching in March 2020). The mystery was top notch - no organized crime in this case (something I saw in many of the previous books) so that felt fresh. The same awesome dry humor and legal wrangling on top of the mystery/investigative work. This was a delight to read and affirms why I love this series. The Christmas books in this series (this one, The Twelve Dogs of Christmas and Deck the Hounds) are some of the best, and a great place for new readers to drop into the series.
Dachshund Through the Snow is the 20th (!!) Andy Carpenter mystery by David Rosenfelt. Released 1st Oct 2019 by Macmillan on their Minotaur imprint, it's 352 pages and available in hardcover, ebook, and audio formats.

I am so fond of this series. It's uplifting, fun, engaging, and full of animals and characters who are well written and believable. I really like it that Andy is trying to do his (sometimes imperfect) best in a world that can be cold and unfeeling. This book left me with a warm fuzzy feeling and was a perfect cold weather read with the holiday theme and justice prevailing and all that.

There is enough backstory written into the plot that it works well as a standalone volume for new readers. The series as a whole is consistently well written and entertaining, so I recommend picking up the others as you find them. The language is clean (that is to say 'PG' with the occasional damn, shit, or similar used in context). The murders are relatively bloodless , and mostly off-scene. There is no extreme sexual content. There are also lots of appealing animals (mostly dogs with the occasional cat for good measure). There's even a K9 police dog hero in this one.

Well written, enjoyable, clean, with a satisfying denouement. Five stars.
This is book #20 in the Andy Carpenter series. That might make it sound like you have to read 19 other books before  this one to fully understand the characters, but that isn’t the case at all. You can start with this copy  because it works well as a standalone. I’ve read a few of the books in this series, and enjoyed them, but I have not read all 20.

This is a well-written cozy mystery with a good plot, and for the most part, the kind of characters that most of us would like to meet.  Andy, a very rich lawyer is the main character. He has been trying to retire for quite awhile, but he has trouble turning down people who really need his help. He has surrounded himself with a knowledgeable group of people who use their skills to help him get to the bottom of criminal cases and find the real bad guys. One of my favorite characters is his wife, who was formerly with the police department.  She is good-hearted, take-charge, female and looks out for her husband. She also prods him into doing good deeds for others.

I enjoyed this book and recommend it.
What a great holiday mystery! This is the first Andy Carpenter mystery I've read but I'll be catching up on the series!  In this book, Andy (a lawyer) and his wife, Laurie (a former police Lieutenant and now an investigator for Andy) have a decade old crime to solve.  Their success could bring a family back together or shatter it forever.  With many twists and turns - one concerning a retiring police officer and his older canine partner - the book keeps you on your reading "toes"!

I enjoyed the witty dialogue and the relationship between Andy and Laurie.  Also, the supporting characters were as well written as the main character's and all added a layer of mystery, humor and humanity to the book.  The book is the perfect holiday read.  While it's not a cozy mystery, it has a "cozy" feel.  I'd put this on my holiday TBR!

I received an ARC from NetGalley for a fair and honest review of this book.
Who doesn't love a book with a dog on the cover?

First off this is book 20 in the Andy Carpenter series and I had never read any of the previous books before and I really had no issues jumping into this one.

This is a fantastic mystery story that kept me guessing.

I do highly recommend this book
I can't believe that this is the 20th installment to the Andy Carpenter series! This is definitely a great addition to the series - as always Andy's humorous narration combines nicely with a twisting plot that holds some genuine surprises. Plus, this time there are two new dogs - Andy represents one dog in court, and then later represents the owner of the titular dachshund in a murder conviction.

Like the other entrants to the series, this one is fast-paced and a lot of fun to read. And despite the seasonal title, it isn't really all that Christmassy (so don't worry if you can't wait until December to pick this one up!). The ending also hints at a future direction to the series and a further expansion of some series regulars. It makes me more excited than ever for the series to continue! Plus, this one's plot holds more surprises than usual and it's definitely one of the better installments! I also really appreciate the fun in Rosenfelt plugging his own books within this book. These books always make me laugh and Roosevelt is a guaranteed good time of a read! As always, I am left eagerly awaiting the next book!
It’s Christmas time and lawyer Andy Carpenter and his wife, Laurie have chosen to grant a holiday wish for a little boy named Danny.  He has asked for a sweater for his Dachshund, Murphy, and a coat for his mother. And, he wants his father to safely return to his family.  The only catch is that Danny’s father is on the run from a murder charge.  A murder his wife says he didn’t commit.

So, once again Andy and the gang are championing a lost cause.  But, it’s Christmas, a little boy’s wish hangs in the balance, and they are determined to find and clear the missing father.  Told with David Rosenfelt’s trademark humor, Dachshund Through the Snow is another winner for this talented writer.  His characters are memorable and the story is heartwarming.

Even though this is the twentieth book in the series, it is still a treat to follow along on Andy’s adventures.  This author never disappoints.  Once again, thank you Mr Rosenfelt for giving me and my husband hours of reading pleasure.  Please don’t stop writing!

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this book for review.
Andy, the perpetually retiring defense lawyer, gets sucked into two cases involving dogs in the fun cozy mystery, Dachshund Through the Snow.

Andy is asked by an old cop frenemy to find a way to get the city to allow the cop’s K-9 partner, Simon, to retire with him in a few weeks. Simon has arthritis and could be hurt if he continues to work. So Andy sues the city alleging that Simon is a city employee who should be able to disability retire. It really is a case of species discrimination!

Laurie, Andy’s wife and an ex-police lieutenant, starts celebrating Christmas in November. So it is no surprise when she selects a wish off a tree in her local pet store. The child requestor, Danny, wants three gifts: a winter coat for his mother, another coat for his dachshund, and his dad to come home.

The coats are no problem. Unfortunately, Danny’s dad is accused killer, Noah. Fourteen years earlier, he met Kristen at a bar. After a few dates on the down low, they meet in a remote spot. Kristen asks Noah to take her with him when he leaves for college in a few days. When Noah refuses, Kristen becomes distraught and accidentally scratches his face. He leaves. He finds out that she is killed later that night. Fourteen years later, Noah’s brother spits into a genealogy website’s test tube and Noah is caught by his DNA—found under Kristen’s fingernails so long ago.

A Christmas setting has everything I love about cozy mysteries. Family interactions and murder. Okay, I’m not trying to wish up a murder at my next family Christmas party, but it would stop everyone from gossiping—at least for a minute or two. The Andy Carpenter series is always entertaining and this installment is no different. I love the interaction between the characters, who all seem realistic and relatable.  However, the trials are also a smart addition to all the books in this series and that is rare in cozy mysteries. You might even say that Dachshund Through the Snow is a legal thriller set in a cozy mystery world. Plus Andy’s sarcastic asides are hilarious! Overall, I continue to love this series and wait each year for the next to appear. 5 stars!

Thanks to Minotaur Books and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for my honest review.
This is a story as told by the main character, Andy, who happens to be a defense attorney. I love his sense of humor and at times I thought he was hilarious. The story line is great and it was fun going through all the steps to defend his client. His wife, Laurie, is retired law enforcement, turned private investigator. This could make for an interesting life. I love the characters in this story, especially the dogs! That Andy was willing to represent a dog, says a lot about him. I felt like I was right there with them, through the good and bad. Oh, I do have to agree with Laurie about the Christmas season. I received this book from NetGalley, but my opinion is my own.
Loved this one! It is the 20th book in this series and still really going strong. Andy is a Lawyer and with the help of his wife laurie and some other special characters they strive to solve an old murder and reunite a family for christmas. When Andy and Laurie pick Danny's wish from an Angel tree at the local pet shop for christmas they realize that besides the coats that he wished for his mother and dog they can also try to help clear his missing fathers name so the family can be together in time for Christmas. A fun heartwarming story that brings out plenty of emotion. Hope the series will continue some more.!
A solid crime thriller that made me laugh as well.  Warning:  This is not a cozy mystery.  It's also the 20th book in this series of books featuring Andy Carpenter, his wife Laurie, and lots of dogs.  This is the latest Christmas-themed mystery in the series.  I personally would've benefitted from reading the first book in the series.  If you jump in blind the way I did, it takes a little while to get into all the characters and their backstory.  But, don't let that deter you if you're a fan of serious crime mysteries infused with humor. And dogs!

I felt like Andy was a little similar to the character of Stephanie Plum in the early books of author Janet Evanovich's series. Andy narrates the story and he's got quite a sense of humor.  This is a really fun escape of a book.  And it's just in time for the holidays!  Thank you so much to NetGalley and Minotaur Books for the chance to read this book.  The dachshund on the cover was enough inspiration for me to want to dive into Andy Carpenter's world!