Cover Image: Scare City

Scare City

I loved this title. The characters and artwork were wonderful. Unfortunately, the digital copy was not a more complete version. Thankfully I received a copy at ALA.
I really wished this was a finished galley.  I was really into the story and the art, but on page 58 the words disappeared and we only had the art.  The art is amazing and so is the colorist, but there is too much going on to figure out from the pictures alone.    Around page 74 we loose the color and only have the black and white frames.  This is okay, and I still like the artwork, but as mentioned before, you can not follow the storyline.  The story line as I followed is a Scare city is full of monsters who have created their own polite society and is breaking down as people are killed with a strange light.  Our main character is a zombie mom who is kind of funny.  She wants to figure out what is happening and save her community.  Her vampire husband has to go back to scaring when the bakery profits slow down because of the strife.  I really do look forward to seeing the final version of this graphic novel.
Scare City is a comic that I read through Netgalley. It's basically about an underground world where all monsters live harmoniously. Then something happens to upset the delicate peace between the different monster groups. It's up to a half  zombie/witch named Gina, and a group of friends, to solve the mystery and save the underground world. I enjoyed the artwork, but I felt the story was very juvenile. The characters were fun, but not very fleshed out. I probably won't be continuing with this series.
Scare City has werewolves, vampires, aliens, and more living together peacefully underground, away from the humans. However, when mysterious attacks begin plaguing the city, Gina the Zombie Baker begins to investigate and finds herself embroiled in a city-wide conspiracy.

The art is vibrant and dynamic in this one, like an old Saturday morning cartoon. It's fun to see the different character designs of skeletons, dragons, and assorted ghouls traipse about together in Scare City. The characters are fully fleshed - well, mostly, aside from the skeletons! - and make a great cast of characters to fill out the story, which is engaging and intriguing.

While aimed at younger audiences, there are a few laughs in there (the mild-mannered werewolf Mr. Fowler usually the one causing them), and it's an exciting, fun story.
I can't review this title as it was sent to me as a graphic novel without graphics. I can see all of the word bubbles, but no art in any of the panels.
This was a super fun graphic novel about what it's like to live in Scare City. I loved the colors and the artwork. I had some trouble following the storyline at first, but after awhile I really clicked with the story. I loved the mystery and getting to see all the different monsters that lived in Scare City. I also liked seeing what monsters do when they're not having to go out to "scare" people.