America Is Immigrants

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Dec 2019

I really enjoyed America Is Immigrants. It was a quick, informational read about the people who have truly made an impact in our world. The book certainly opened my eyes to many important people I wasn’t aware of and shed light on the positive impact that they’ve made. I’d recommend this book to anyone looking to expand their worldview!
The moment I saw the name of the book - I was eager to read it.

America is a county that WAS built by immigrants and IS a country of immigrants. This specific publication has combined a large list of successful people who have made Americal as we know it today.

The US is home to foreign-born athletes, artists, civil rights leaders, inventors, scientists who have migrated to America and contributed to its history & leadership, medicine & food industries, social media & entertainment, industrial and technology inventions, etc.

It's a wonderful and short read, that simply boosts with positive energy. Thank you, NetGalley, Random House pub and Sara Nović for a free and advanced copy of the wonderful book.
Darn right, America is Immigrants! I loved this book! We cannot let anyone defeat the purpose of the American dream, the American promise of welcoming immigrants and refugees. You are safe here. You are welcome here. We need that promise back.
What a brilliant book! So well written and so interesting! We're all immigrants. Come from different walks of life from all over the world. This book proves that. Each and every chapter of this book enlightens and makes one smile. Learn about how immigrants help make America great.

A MUST buy!
3.5/5

"America Is Immigrants" is a wonderful collection of short biographies on famous immigrants in the United States. The book features everyone from athletes to diplomats to scientists. It shows how valuable immigration is to our country and the contribution immigrants have made to our country. I loved that included biographies of people from different time periods in American history and from a variety of countries.

This book would be a great addition to a classroom (most likely elementary school or early middle school) and useful for lessons on immigration in the United States.
It's nice to see the illustrated biography collection that has been so hip in kids publishing expand into the adult sector.
Beautiful overview of the multitude of immigrants who’ve contributed amazing things to the world. It features short bios organised into different categories/industries, along with portraits of many of them.
A wonderful collection of quick snippets about migrants who have made the United States what we are today. From Hollywood to pop culture to medical breakthrough and scientific innovation.....we are a country of immigrants and we need to embrace this.

This would be a great book for a school library and a US History teacher to help bring immigrant stories alive.
I found this a curated list of assorted immigrant names with no depth. Perhaps it could prove useful for young readers or in some classrooms, but it certainly has no place in a college library.

It is a cute to share with children, but there are so many others, better organized, that I would hesitate to recommend purchase.

Thank you Netgalley.
Oh my, I had high hopes for this title, but sadly, there's absolutely no way I can recommend it to any readers. At first glance, I thought the illustrations were lovely, but it didn't take me long to notice a HUGE, glaring problem. The people of color in this book are depicted as very, very (did I say very?) light-skinned. For just one example, check out the illustration of Chinua Achebe compared to how he appears on Google Images.

I could hardly believe that a book about immigrants would contain such a gargantuan oversight, so I reached out to NetGalley to confirm that I was not experiencing an issue with my device. This is a HUGE issue in a book that's claiming to celebrate America's diversity.

If the illustrations are revised, I'll be happy to revisit this review, but as the book appears right now, I absolutely cannot recommend it.

Thanks to Random House and NetGalley for providing me with a DRC of this book, which will be available for purchase on October 15th.

A gorgeously illustrated collection featuring inspiring immigrants from every country in the world, celebrating the incredible range of what it means to be an American

This dazzling volume brings American immigrant stories to life in short biographies written by award-winning writer Sara Nović, with charming full-colour illustrations by Alison Kolesar. At a time when public debate is focused on who belongs in America, this book honours the crucial contributions of our friends and neighbours who have chosen to make this country their home.

Featured within are war heroes and fashion designers, Supreme Court justices and pop stars, athletes and civil rights leaders, as well as:
• the doctors who saved Ronald Reagan’s life
• the creators of iconic American products like Levi’s, Chevy cars and trucks, and Nathan’s Famous hot dogs
• the scientists who contributed to the Manhattan Project
• the architects behind landmarks of the American skyline like the World Financial Center in New York City, the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, and the Sears Tower in Chicago
• Plus these familiar names from every walk of life:

Madeleine Albright • Isabel Allende • Mario Andretti • Desi Arnaz • Isaac Asimov • George Balanchine • Sergey Brin • Gisele Bündchen • Willem de Kooning • Oscar de la Renta • Marlene Dietrich • Albert Einstein • Alfred Hitchcock • Arianna Huffington • Enrique Iglesias • Iman • Grace Jones • Henry Kissinger • Mila Kunis • Hedy Lamarr • Yo-Yo Ma • Miriam Makeba • Pedro Martínez • Joni Mitchell • Sidney Poitier • Wolfgang Puck • Rihanna • Knute Rockne • M. Night Shyamalan • Gene Simmons • Nikola Tesla • the von Trapps • Elie Wiesel • Anna Wintour

According to my nephew, one of my favourite sayings is "WE ARE ALL IMMIGRANTS" ... this book proves that point but kind of glosses over the Native Americans and does deal with slavery, per se. (They are mentioned, along with a weird page or two on ASL and how to sign AMERICA and IMMIGRANT.)  This book is interesting in that it shows that immigrants have done great things in the US (or married"well" in the case of Melania Trump and her skin care line's funding).

It is a book for kids to read as it covers people from every country in the world - I am not sure how "regular" adult readers would feel about the book as it is pretty basic: perhaps ESL students would get something out of it as it shows how far an immigrant can go.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🗺 🗺 🗺