Good Husbandry

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Oct 2019

I adore reading books about farms. I could not tell you why, but I just love them. I could not have enjoyed this book more. It is a long read, so it will keep you company on many fall and winter nights. There are so many nuggets of wisdom peppered throughout this book and I just loved it. I enjoyed learning about the technicalities of farming and it was just truly a fantastic read.
Thank you to Net Galley for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I read Kristin Kimball’s first book about her farm, The Dirty Life, several years ago, and it has always stuck with me. When I saw that she had written a second book about the farm, I didn’t hesitate to request it.  I found this book just as interesting as the first, even more so because it gave me a look into the running of a farm several years in. I enjoyed hearing about Kimball’s daughter, Jane, and how she is cared for in the midst of running a good sized farm. There were a few sections where the horse or farming terminology went over my head, but it was all fascinating to me.  I like Kimball’s no nonsense writing style, because I imagine that’s how she is as a person.
I didn't love this as much as I remember loving Kimball's first, The Dirty Life, but it was still very enjoyable.
A very realistic view of family farm life.  The author takes us on a highly personal journey that offers insight into the importance of interpersonal relationships to the success of a massive collective undertaking like community supported agriculture.  Very well-written and engrossing.
I read Kristin Kimball's first memoir, The Dirty Life, back in 2016 when my husband and I were in our third year of homesteading.  Her writing was so lovely and while she shared the good and the bad, it was written in such a way that I had hope for the future and could see our own struggles as an adventure.

Kimball was a thirtysomething writer living in NYC when she met her future husband Mark, a farmer passionate about growing and providing food for his community.  Together the couple moved to the five hundred acre Essex Farm and Kimball chronicled their first year from planting to harvesting to their barn wedding.
Romantic, ambitious, and eye-opening, I loved reading Kimball's adventures so I was thrilled to learn about her upcoming memoir, Good Husbandry.

Kimball's second memoir, Good Husbandry, chronicles several years on Essex Farm.  Once again her writing shines with savory descriptions and most importantly: honesty.

Through the birth of their two daughters, harsh seasons, financial pressures, injuries as well as aging; Kristin and Mark's marriage suffered under the strain.  Kimball does not hold back when explaining both the beauty and the darkness that followed them as their lives changed in profound ways.
I loved Kimball's reflections on motherhood and how it changed her role on the farm and shifted her perspective about Mark and their home.

Her insight into caring and providing for a community is powerful.  I appreciate her passion and mission and am thrilled to see their story continue through her evocative writing.

Thanks to Scribner and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced reader's copy.  Good Husbandry: A Memoir is scheduled for release on October 15, 2019.
Kimball offers an honest look at life on a farm in upstate New York. She details the ravages of nature, the drain of debt, the strain it places on relationships. Life on a farm is rewarding, but the work never ends, especially when tending livestock. I enjoyed reading her story as I was reared on a farm. Family farms keep disappearing and I admire the Kimballs for not only sustaining theirs but rearing their children with solid work values. Farming is not for the feint of heart as her depiction reveals.
I absolutely loved Kristin Kimball's first book, and I was overjoyed to revisit her continued story. I know that my city librarian life does not parallel the author's on the day-to-day of things, but I felt so connected to her truthful depiction of motherhood and getting to that point in life where you all of a sudden become the mentor younger people. I will read anything Kristin Kimball offers to the world
I loved Kristin Kimball's "The Dirty Life," and I found her second, follow-up book, "Good Husbandry,” as engaging as her first.
I love Kimball’s simple yet descriptive writing, and every page to me was a fast turner.
I am fascinated by both the harsh realities and the pure rewards of living a farming life in and with nature. Her farming-family life is complicated, juggling marriage, mothering, and managing the daily demands of a working farm, and yet it comes across as so simple in its purity.
Reading this book left me with a wholesome feeling rarely found in our modern existence, and I hope Kristin Kimball will keep sharing her story in future books.
How many people stop and give any real thought to where out food comes from, how it was planned, planted or birthed, nurtured, gathered and prepped, and sent onto consumers? This book is a wonderful continuation of Ms. Kimball's story as a woman, as a farmer and as as a farm wife on a 500-acre farm in upstate New York. She shows you just how challenging and rewarding that kind of life really is - bumps, manure, and all.

Her skills as a professional writer prior to making this life choice clearly shine through. This isn't just an autobiography, it's an ode to rural life that most of us will never know. Bravo.
An authentic and open look at the struggles of managing a farm, two small children and a marriage. Kristin covers the challenges faced with weather, employees, customers, animals, etc with a willingness to share all of her feelings. As a gardener, the farm information was fascinating and the model they run Essex farm on is one that I wish I could find locally because I would join.

Kristin does a good job of sharing both the truth behind the myth of the happy modern homesteading moment, with the slog and weariness, but she also shares the wonderful high points that have kept her and her husband farming. Beautiful read, with evocative descriptions. You find yourself crossing your fingers that their farm and their relationship thrive.

Advance  digital copy provided by #netgalley but opinions are my own.
Good Husbandry by Kristen Kimball - I enjoyed The Dirty Life and looked forward to reading Good Husbandry.  The latest from Essex Farm is enlightening and educational to all not familiar with farming.   Ms. Kimball stories of life on her farm are at times heartbreaking.  There is so much effort and work for such long hours, you have to question if all this is worth any benefit they gain. No matter the difficulties that arise this family seems determined to continue farming.  I am thankful for the authors writing talent.  Thank you Net Galley and Scribner for the chance to read this book.
For those that loved Kristin Kimball's "The Dirty Life," her new book "Good Husbandry" fills us in on how things  went several years into owning their farm. This book takes a realistic book at the challenges, and blessings, of running large multi-faceted agricultural enterprise while managing staff, keeping animals alive, paying the bills, staying married, and raising children. This book kept my attention, and was both honest and eye opening. It is a great read for those interested in agriculture, local food, cooking, or life in the rural Northeast!
Kristen Kimball a New York City woman fell in love with her farmer husband Mark left the city gave up her urban life and moved to the farm.In her second book she shares open honestly life on the farm the difficulties the hard never ending work.The strain on the marriage Marks health issues& yes they have two beautiful kids to add to the fun pressure.This was an intimate fascinating look at their farm&personal life a behind the curtain peek at their lives .I book that kept me turning the pages following their lives.#netgalley#scribner
This book chronicles Kristin's move from New York City to the farm life with her husband Mark.  Kristin describes the process of getting their farm prepared to support their customer community, which includes land management, employees, community involvement, and all of the farming decisions required.  She touches on the joys of seeing a great harvest, and of bringing new animals into the world.  She also touches on the hard parts of farming - balancing work & family, the threats of weather, financial decisions.  I enjoyed this realistic view into the world of farming.