Cover Image: Witchy

Witchy

Witchy is a beautifully written, imaginative story about a world of witches with a unique magic system. I loved the diversity and acceptance throughout the story. I can't wait to read the next volume to see how the story progresses.
3.5

TW: death of a loved one, bullying, misgendering (challenged)

In the witch kingdom Hyalin, the strength of your magic is determined by the length of your hair. [...] However, those with hair judged too long are pronounced enemies of the kingdom, and annihilated. This is called a witch-burning."

I knew I was going to adore this just by the first chapter. Ries' wasn't afraid to make us sad and nervous about Nyneve and her struggles.

As you've read, your magic is determined by the length of your hair. The longer it is, the more powerful you are which can be dangerous. Nyneve appears to have short hair and her magic is difficult to control so she is constantly bullied at school.

The way the world is drawn, I was mesmerized. Nyneve's home was so cozy, I wish I could stay there and enjoy the surrounding views. And I adore her mother and how fiercely protective she is of Nyneve.

It was such a fast-moving novel and I can't wait to see what the future holds for our main character or overall, for this world!
Love it - especially the strength of magic depending on your hair length. I'd be a pretty great magician, then! Fingers crossed we get more to this story soon.
I absolutely LOVED this graphic novel! Unfortunately, when I first received a galley of it I wasn't able to download it to any of my devices and had to reluctantly set it aside, but I purchased a copy and fell in love. The strength of the characters, beautiful illustrations, and impeccable storytelling have all made me into a huge fan. I CANNOT wait for the next installment to find its say into my hands and on my shelf.
What a fantastic concept and so well drawn and illustrated!
Thanks to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an  honest review.
I enjoyed this comic a lot. Thanks for letting me read this before it was published to the masses!!!!!!

A beautiful and whimsical graphic novel set in a kingdom where the strength of someones magic is deemed on how long there hair is. Nyneve witnesses her father murder at a young age for having 'too long of hair'. out of fear Nyneve hides away, starting clear of the army.

The characters and world-building is fantastic, not to mention the art styles and colouring is exquisite and really help build the overall mood of the graphic novel.
I Also was so glad to see LGBT+ Representation within the story, for me it was excellent.
I cannot wait to pick up the next installment.
This was a pretty good story. I loved the witch aspect of it and the art was beautiful. Anyone considering picking this up, DO IT.
I've been following Witchy online for a while now, and it's lovely to see that it's available as a book! I love fantasy and am used to common tropes/plot elements, but I genuinely love the inventive and unique world that Ries has created. There's always an element of intrigue and expectation which makes it hard to stop reading. I hope that a wider audience will get to experience this story.
Graphic novels always interest me and this one is no exception. The art style is very nice, and the story is likeable. I'd definitely read more of this author that is yet to come, or has been published!
Enjoyed this one! The art was not quite my style, but the minimalism works and the story is solid and unique. Easy to read and it kept me interested  until the end. Would definitely read more in this series!
I love when I pick up a graphic novel and, within just a few pages, know that I’ve found a new favorite series to follow (at least, I’m assuming it’s going to be a series, based on the ending). Witchy takes place in a magical world where each person’s power is dictated by the length of their hair. Having watched her father burned when she was a child due to his hair being deemed too long by the government, Nyneve spends her life hiding who she is in hopes of going unnoticed by the army.
Witchy is a delightful tale that my teens are going to go crazy over! I can't wait for future installments; I may just have to go read the webcomic to get my fill! I especially loved the way that Ries created a completely believable trans teen who knows exactly who she is, and even though she doesn't have the greatest relationship with her mother, it doesn't seem to be the absolute worst and she has a teacher who stands up for her.
A charming comic, but not to my taste. This is through no fault of the author's - I was expecting something more akin to Ghibli and got something rather different instead. Clearly an "it's not you, it's me" situation, and therefore while I do give it 2.5 out of 5 stars, I urge the publisher not to consider this an indictment of the work itself (perhaps recategorization is in order?)
'Witchy' with art and story by Ariel Slamet Ries is a graphic novel full of beautiful art and an unusual world.

In the kingdom of Hyalin, the length of your hair determines how powerful your magic is, but grow it too long and you can be declared an enemy of the state.  Nyneve lost her father years ago, and now hides the length of her hair using a spell.  She attends a school that wants to recruit her, but she wants nothing to do with that.  She does something unthinkable and is on the run.

I really liked this world and it's pretty good world-building.  I loved the art which has a fluid and colorful style that drew me in on just about every page.  The style is kind of minimal, but that works well to its advantage.

I received a review copy of this graphic novel from Lion Forge, Diamond Book Distributors, and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this graphic novel.
I really liked the art and the world this story is set in is very interesting and sweeping. I got some major Arabian Vibes from the story. This is not a typical witchy story, because the witches in this case are everyone who lives in this world, only some are more powerful than the others, and their power lies in their hair, thus is forbidden both to cut and to have hair too long. Nyneve's father was burned for having too much hair and magic, and ever since that happened she has hidden within herself and stopped practicing magic so much, but preferred to study its theory. But in this world, kids are drafted to join  the army when they become of age based on their skill with magic and Nyneve will do anything not to help those who killed her father.

Part magical discovery, part magical games and part dystopia resistance storyline, this is a fun, easy to read and lovely story.

I really like the development that Nyneve's character is moving towards and I really hope there will be more books after this one, because it has potential to develop into a great series!
Explorations of magic aren't unusual in fiction, both traditional and graphic novels. Ries has taken a fascinating approach with this story, tying the characters' magic to their hair.  The length of their hair is a representation fo the strength of their magic as well as their respect for the spirits that provide their magic. Magic doesn't have rules, per se, but does have a direct tie to another aspect of the world. They don't fully understand their magic because they don't understand the spirit world. It's a complex mythology but Ries does not shy away from explanations and explorations. The progression of the plot only adds to the complexity of the world. The art is charming, cartoony and unafraid to take risks.
Beautiful artwork and story

Nyevne lives with her mother and she is kind of angry about school because it’s the year of the enlistment to battle for your country. Nyevne doesn’t like the enlistment because her father was hunted down by the magical government, per se.

She doesn’t want anything to do with Magic and fighting to keep her country save and people scorn her for it.

The book does lightly touch on transitioned genders which is good. It’s not bad entirely, it is brief.

Characters are strong-willed female protagonists.
Art work is also unique and amazing! Loved that each page was colorful and glowing!
I love graphic novels and I always get excited when a new one comes onto my radar.  I was really excited about Witchy but for me, this one just didn't really work.  I struggled a lot with the art style, and the pacing of this novel.  The world building in this one was really cool, but my struggle to connect with the characters kept me out of the story.
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for giving me access to this title!

This graphic novel follows a girl called Nyneve who lives in the kingdom of Hyalin where a person's powers are affected by the length of their hair.
Witchy has a fun art style, it wasn't my favourite, but I found it quite funny sometimes and I liked that it had lots of scenery.