The Kosher Delhi

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Very easy to read and really engaging, would definitely recommend. The fact it included characters from different backgrounds was also a plus.
The Kosher Delhi is an engaging, fun, but emotional read. The prose was a little stiff for my liking, but the imagery is fantastic, particularly when it comes to describing the food. Would recommend; even if you think this isn't up your typical alley, let yourself be surprised.
This novel is one that seems just so refreshing, when you enter that deli, you don't need a drink to go with it. The words and story is enough!

It has the flavour of Slumdog Millionaire and Lion - someone triumphing and changing despite all the obstacles in the way. It's certainly a meeting of opposites Vik is Jewish/Indian and Yvonne is Scottish. This is their story as they move cities and places together with Yvonne fighting for the cause and Vik wanting to become a chef. They face racism and abuse and Vik is sadly used to it so he says nothing. But who was it said that 'evil will flourish when the good do nothing.' Vik is faced to change this way of thinking and that's when things get interesting and rather bittersweet.

Their relationships is a strange but nice one and it's fascinating to see two such different characters on their own and joint journey. The 1990s shine through with many references of food, music and politics, but it';s the everyday memories, a time when things seemed better, that make you smile as you read. The story of racism and struggle seemed a lot more real when they were in the UK but once they get to New York, the story changes somewhat. Nothing too severe but it felt like a different book towards the end.

There's lots to enjoy here but it felt too busy and a little preachy? They would have a got a smack around the legs from me for all the swearing that went on as well for jolting me out of the story. A good story however and one to enjoy and realise just what some people have to go through and how determination and grit are great travel companions
When you don't have a car for a month due to a predatory car insurance industry, you can get a LOT of reading done!!

"If you ask me now if it was all worth it, would I do it all again, then I know I am supposed to say, ‘Yes! I wouldn’t change a thing.’ I’m just not sure that’s true." Vik is a 20-year-old English boy of Jewish/Indian mixed heritage who meets Yvonne, a Scottish activist and hedonist who strives vehemently for social justice. Set in the early 1990s, the story follows Vik and Yvonne from Leeds to London to New York, tracking their journey and relationship: Vik’s culinary experiences of working in restaurant kitchens; Yvonne’s political ventures in the music scene; their exposure to racism and homophobia; and the pressures on their relationship.

As their relationship becomes strained, Vik is also increasingly exposed to bigotry and homophobia, with more violent and fatal outcomes. He reaches a point when he has to decide if he is going to stand up for what he believes in.

This was a cleverly titled book that I enjoyed. Unfortunately, almost 30 years later, homophobia and the caste system is still going strong in India and many other parts of the world. The characters are well written and the story enjoyable to read and I now want Indian food for lunch. (I find it interesting to learn that in Hinduism, domestic pork meat is forbidden as it is mostly fed on wastage & filth and since Jews do not eat pork both religions in India would be living off chicken and fish as cows are sacred in India and not sold as food). The early 90s resonated for me as I graduated uni in 1990 and remember those days well.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🐘🐘🐘🐘
This book ticked a lot of boxes for me: an interracial Jewish main character, restaurant life, England, the 1990s. Luckily these disparate themes all came together in one very enjoyable book. I thought the story and the interpersonal relationships were well-written and engaging. Despite some of the topic matter, it didn't veer into the maudlin.
The Kosher Delhi by Ivan Wainewright tells the story of Vic, an aspiring chef with Jewish and Indian roots. He wants to work in a kitchen and blend the two parts of his identity into delicious dishes. As he works on his craft, he faces racism, bigots, and abuse. He also dates a woman named Yvonne, a Scottish spitfire, who causes trouble everywhere she goes.

I liked a good portion of this book, but at a certain point, something about the voice and narration fell apart. It started to feel like "this happened, and then this happened, and then this happened" with very little reflection from Vic's inner monologue. While seeing Vic overcome challenges and perfect his craft was interesting, his relationship with Yvonne fell into cliches and less interesting character choices.

I think this is a good debut novel, and I hope Ivan writes more.

Thanks to RedDoor Publishing and NetGalley for the free e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is an era and "set" with which I have some familiarity and in great part this was an enjoable tale about Briutains recent past. The darkness of the racism here perhaps foreshadows our national shift to the right over the past ten years. the writing isn't flawless, but the characterisation is good and the book is definitely a finisher. Looking forward to reading more from this talented new author.
I was attracted to this book because of its unusual title, namely, the "kosher" part and, the play on the word "Delhi". As it turns out, the story is about so much more then a deli. It follows Yvonne, a Scottish want to be rockstar, and her beau, Vic, an aspiring chef, with Jewish Indian roots. While Vic has always been subject to a certain degree of discrimination because of his heritage, (and skin colour), he always chose to ignore the taunts as a way to keep the peace. Yvonne, from the outset, never condoned Vic's behaviour, and always encouraged Vic to stand up for his rights.  In London, Vic becomes the subject of a racist attack that will change his life forever. Despite this setback,  Vic still harbours his dream to be a chef, and he follows Yvonne to NYC. Their relationship begins to develop cracks, as each of their careers develop, and they are exposed to the nastiness of the real world, including. homophobia, sexism, and bigotry. But, there are also many moments of tenderness and heroism, that help keep your faith in mankind. You'll have to read the book to discover what happens to Yvonne and Vic.

I really enjoyed reading #thekosherdelhi, Ivan Waineright's debut novel Thank you #netgalley for the early digital copy. 5 stars!
Great read. The author wrote a story that was interesting and moved at a pace that kept me engaged. The characters were easy to invest in.
Ivan Wainwright has written a fabulous debut novel. Vic is a young man growing up in Leeds whose life will never be the same again once he meets Yvonne. The two are very different; not only their backgrounds, but their personalities and whole values in life.
Vic’s father is Jewish from London and mother is Indian. Yvonne is white and from Inverness.  Vic prefers to keep his head down and have an easy life, Yvonne thinks that everything should be challenged and believes in rights for all.  What will happen to Vic and Yvonne? How will they reconcile their differences?
This book is a real trip down memory lane for those of us who remember the early 90s.
I absolutely adored the character of Vic and travelling alongside him his ups and downs and seeing him develop on his journey in this book was wonderful.  A great read and superb debut novel.
Thanks to NetGalley for a Kindle copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
An intriguing and entertaining story, well written and interesting.
The plot is well developed and flows without any issue, the cast of characters is well written, I fond Yvonne not always likeable and sometimes she grated on my nerves.
It's a book that is entertaining but gives you a lot of food for thought as well.
It's the first book I read by this author and won't surely be the last.
Recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Title: The Kosher Delhi
Author: Ivan Wainewright
Publisher: RedDoor Publishing
Genre: General Fiction
Format: Kindle ebook
Language: English
No. of pages: 320

My review:
As the book opens, we are introduced to Vikram Cohen, aka Vik, who is an aspiring chef, with Jewish-Indian roots and Yvonne, a Scottish woman and a very politically conscious activist. In the first few pages we see how a small argument becomes something bigger, culminating in a sort of accident which makes them run away to London.
Vik seems like a person who is not as ambitious as we perceive Yvonne to be, and there were a few times when I was thinking that Yvonne held all the reins in this relationship – and not in a good way either. At times, I found her to be very aggressive and impractical, but she is also very passionate and it is something that you cannot help but be drawn to. Vikram is thus a foil to her in this matter- he is calm to her inflammable anger. Vik’s character growth – his arc is very significant and human development has been shown in a very real way through his story.
Throughout the next chapters we see how their relationship grows – there are certainly various ups and downs but Yvonne is a good girlfriend, always sticking up for Vik. Just as Vikram, I too was very curious and intrigued by the repeated mentions of Kirstine and the song named ‘K’. The issue of racism is very evident in the book – Vikram is a person who is always suffering for it, and it is truly eye-opining to see how his indifference is wrong. I loved how Yvonne brings in the example of Nelson Mandela to explain the importance to standing up against the wrong. The other issues we come across are homophobia, sexism, chauvinism, love, hate as well as bigotry. The book has tried to show that human nature is truly dynamic and everyone thinks differently.
I loved the easy flow of the narration – the author has done a great job in this and I hope that others will enjoy the writing just as much as I did. The reader is bound to fall into this land and read the events as if they were really happening to them.

Verdict:
This was a really enjoyable read and I rate it 4/5 stars!
The Kosher Delhi was not what I was expecting from the description. The character of Yvonne is extremely volatile and Vic is totally in thrall to her. I kept wanting to tell him to run away. Vic is hard-working and creative and the racism he suffers from is all too plausible. Yvonne is lucky not to have been in prison from the outset. I completely bought how captivating Vic found Yvonne although the red flags were there so early on. A more confident man would have left her in London.
I particularly enjoyed the section in New York, Where Vic starts to get what he deserves, and Yvonne finds her limitations. Four stars.
If there's a story that goes to show that people can indeed surprise you, then this right here would be one of those that I mention. We follow Vik and Yvonne from London to New York, and their struggles with finding meaning, acceptance and love in tumultuous times makes for an interesting read. However, what personally stood out for me was the growth that was evident in Vik's life and his perception of the racism and hurdles he encountered in his work. It's as engaging as it is melancholic, but one thing is certain, any reader is bound to grow with the characters at some point in the book, whether it's for good or for the worse, that's not in my place to tell.
Thank you Netgalley for the eARC.

PS: Oh, the ending!
I loved the first half of THE KOSHER DELHI, with its vivid descriptions of what it meant to be young and powerless in 1990s Leeds and London. There was a constant sense of tension, of disaster narrowly avoided, as the central characters navigate complex relationships and their efforts to find a place in the music and restaurant businesses. The decision to move to the US brings change for the young couple at the center of the novel, and the story became more predictable and less compelling for me when they traveled further from home and each other. But still, an intriguing story about grit and determination in a different era.