The Homestead Brides Collection

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Dec 2019

Homestead on the Range

This story was so adorable! I love Mary Connealy's writing! She always writes with such spunk!

Elle is a fierce and determined lady who has endured the hardships of prairie life but is still a kind and tenderhearted woman! Colin is a wonderfully kind doctor who gets in a little over his head with prairie life. Together they form a team that is unbreakable and completely wonderful!

Priceless Pearl

Rick & America's story was very well written. I loved how Rick always seemed to come to the rescue even if sometimes it exasperated him. America was determined to be a good prairie woman and learn all she could. She seemed to have more sense about prairie life then her parents. Rick had big dreams and was doing all he could to attain them.

Proving Up

Ok I loved Nils & Elsa's story. It was full of laughter and warmth. I thought Nils was such a gentleman and had such big dreams. Even when it seemed like everything was falling apart he never the less persisted. Elsa was such a kind and compassionate lady, I picture her with a lot of spit and spunk. She could stand up to her brothers and anyone really. It was such a beautiful story!

Prairie Promises

Bridget is as tough as nails but as compassionate as ever too. I loved how she met Jack, way too funny. Jack is a very stubborn man but he has a heart of gold. I loved how this book dealt with all sorts of issues, war, prairie life, widowhood and learning to be kind. It was so well wrote and I wasn't ready for it to end.

This Land is our Land

This story is one that just makes your heart flip! It is so adorable! I loved every second of it and did not want it to end at all. Seriously this story can go on for several books as long as it is centered on Lasso and Mollie. Mollie is so brave taking her family across the country on her own. She never looses faith in God. Lasso is a true cowboy. Seriously how could you not fall in love with him. There story is just so beautiful and I loved it.

Flaming Starr

I loved this story of God's love and redemption. God will forgive sin from a repentant soul. Starr was trying to flee her past on her own, little did she know that she needed God to forgive her and help her along the way. Aaron was trying to raise his children on his own the best he could. God gave him more than he thought to ask for. This story is a definite must read.

A Palace on the Plains

Elizabeth was pure spunk and sass. She had no trouble standing up for herself. I loved how kind she was and that she was always willing to learn and help. Cyrus was such a kind man who carried the weight of the world on his shoulders. God brought them together at just the right time. This story is so good and I honestly didn't want it to end.

Waiting on A Promise

Oh I enjoyed the mystery and intrigue of this story. I loved how stubborn both Marta and Karl are. They are absolutely perfect for one another! I now want to make strudel. I loved how Karl wanted to protect Marta no matter the cost. Marta wanted to help but sometimes trusted people a little too much. There story was so lovely and I am glad that they included an epilogue.

The Bogus Bride of Creek

Well I wasn't sure where this story was going to end up. It was really good. I liked Iz slot. He was such a kind man regardless of the situation and he always wanted to do the right thing. Cora learned that lies eventually catch up with you. She was trying to correct a wrong but learned the hard way that honesty always is the right way to go.

I recieved a copy of this book in return for an honest review. Thoughts and opinions are completely mine
4 Stars:  4/5 Star Rating
Ohhh, I love novella collections!  I can read them quickly and I can pick the book up and choose one when I only have a short time to read.  It fits this busy grandma's life for me!  I also like getting to meet so many different characters and different circumstances.
The Homestead Brides Collection takes us to a different time in our country's history and allows us to experience life as new homesteaders were putting down roots.  Life wasn't easy and it definitely wasn't easy for our delightful heroes and heroines, but that makes it more realistic.
I highly recommend this novella collection to romance lovers and those who love historical fiction.
I received a complementary ARC from netgalley and Barbour Books.  I was not required to write a review and all opinions expressed are my own.
This was a wonderful collection of pioneer stories with romance. This introduced me to new authors and I appreciate their work. It was a great escape for an afternoon at the beach.
Many thanks to Barbour Publishing and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
What a great collection of novellas! I enjoyed each one. I'm definitely going to seek out some of the Authors I've never read books by.

Each one made me smile!

I have received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley on behalf of the Publisher and was under no obligation to post a favorable review.
I was super excited to start reading Homestead Brides! However once I started reading the first story I was unable to get into the story and felt like key events in the characters lives were happening at warp speed!! It was really unfortunate because each of the novellas seemed to have been set up for success with the plot lines. In my opinion, In order for books complied stories like this book to work, there needs to be less stories and more pages given to each author so they adequately flush out characters and story.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
One of my favorite time periods is pioneer frontier times. This collection visits that time period. ALl stories are around the late 1800s. Each story was unique - and they were all tied together by the homestead theme. I am familar with all the authors - and their work - and they all pen stories that flow nicely. All created original characters and intriguing storylines. These stories transport you back in time. To what real homesteaders had to deal with. I highly suggets this book.

Thank you to Netgalley and Barbour for the opportunity to read this book.
I received an ARC of this book from Barbour Publishing, Inc. via NetGalley, this review is my personal opinion.

So prepare yourself for a treat, on this collection we have nine with great authors and different stories of men and women that decide to homestead and the challenges they face in order to reach their dreams. Fullied with faith, family, romance, drama, funny situations I believe that this collection is no doubt a great choice for  Christian historical fiction lovers.
I enjoy these novella books more than any other novellas I’ve read. The stories aren’t cheesy like other collections I’ve read.
I like that you can read each one in an evening.

Homestead on the Range by Mary Conneally is a cute story about two widowers in the wilderness of Nebraska with seven children between them. Probably my favorite in the collection because I loved the whole Parent Trap thing that happened.

Priceless Pearl by Darlene Franklin showed how hard homesteaders worked. This one was a little harder for me to enjoy as the girl was so young for marriage.

Proving Up by Carla Olson Gade had some good awkward moments, also some sad moments. I liked the unexpected kiss and the unexpected twist.

Prairie Promises by Ruth Logan Herne I enjoyed and it was more or less believable that living out on the prairie taking care of his mothers farm a man would fall in love with the women helping his mother. This story flowed well and I liked how it came together.

This Land is Our Land by am Hillman is a good one about the land claim and blizzard.

Flaming Starr by DiAnn Mills didn’t keep my attention as much as the others and I ended up skimming.

A Palace on the Plains by Erica Vetsch I liked how the sewing machine usage was portrayed. This one wasn’t as exciting to me.

Waiting on a Promise by Becca Whitman I loved Marta’s stubbornness in this story. Their drama kept me wanting to know what was going to happen next. I enjoyed this one a lot probably because of their banter-and the sleazy guy.

The Bogus Bride of Creed Creek by Kathleen Y’Barbo confused me at first because I didn’t know who the main character really was so I didn’t know if I could trust her. Not as relatable as others in the book.

Overall this book is perfect if you like historical happy endings, a little humor, a little suspense, but something light and quick to read when you don’t have time to delve into a long novel.
I truly enjoyed this collection, and felt like there wasn’t a weak link in the entire book.  Each author had their own unique point of view, while keeping the common thread of romance and  homesteading.  I particularly enjoyed Mary Connealy’s story, since it was full of humor and wit, setting the tone for the rest of the novel!  I enjoyed the settings especially, and felt like I learned a lot about travel in the American west and mid-west, and what living in a soddy must have been like.  I have read several of this series, and thoroughly enjoy them as light, yet uplifting reading.
Each story takes you back to a simpler time in life where the Lords word was common place and people where eager and bold to stand up for what was right, and somewhere in the mist of these stories these strong  women find love and happiness. A wonderful read and highly recommend to family and friends….Lisa / Mom
I really enjoyed this collection of Homesteading stories. Each story was well written. It was nice that they were not cookie cutter stories and were all very different. A great collection of authors.
This book has 9 stories in it which makes it interesting to review as the stories are all unique.

“Homestead on the Range” is a lively tale of two families, one with 4 children and a Mom, the other with 3 children and a Dad.  Will they ever see themselves as one cohesive unit or are they always to be two separate ones?

“Priceless Pearl” is about mistletoe berries, grandma’s ring, perseverance, endurance and surrendering.

“Proving Up” shows us the determination that many Swedish Emigrants had who settled in the prairie states of Kansas and Nebraska.  This story takes place in Nebraska which like Kansas was devoid of trees.   Here is one determined man who faced hardship several times but managed to adhere to the tenets of the Timber Culture Act of 1873, was granted land, 40 acres to be planted with trees.  In 1878 the law was amended to read 10 acres.  A person receiving such grant had eight years to file proof of meeting the requirements of this law to receive all land free.

On April 10, 1885 he filed notice of final proof in support of his claim after receiving three extensions after experiencing prairie fire, grasshopper infestation and drought.   He appears before the Register or Receiver at Wahoo NB with his Timber Culture entry information and 2 witnesses who had counted his trees per acre.

As the story unfolds he is presented with a child  that he did not know he had from a deceased wife and finds love residing on the adjoining land.

“Prairie Promises” is the story of two women homesteading in Nebraska.  One is a mother with grown sons living in Philadelphia the other a pregnant widow.   Between them they own three homesteads; the mother owns two, one hers and her deceased husbands, the other is from a son who returned back east giving up on the harshness of life on the prairies.  The third is the widow’s from the estate of her husband.

The mother’s middle son arrives to bring his mother home but to his dismay she refuses to leave.  Winter is swiftly arriving, gardens are being harvested and hay cut and winnowed.  Will Mom return east with her son?  Will the young widow be left on her own?  Does the prairie win and all go back east?  The author answers all these questions.

“This Land is Our Land” finds a lone cowboy heading to the Double M ranch when snow turns to a blizzard.  Heading to an abandoned cabin he encounters a family in a wagon riding out the storm.  Together they find said cabin and hunker down for a few days to ride out the storm.

A lost child, a dog and her puppies, a land claim, and an attempted robbery make for anxious times and happy endings.

“Flaming Starr” tells of a soiled dove, a card game, title to land in Texas, a sore loser, and a misunderstanding.   Who really owns the land, is a soiled dove any less a sinner in God’s eyes?  What does God see when He looks at us; our outer appearance, our reputation, how much power or money we have or is it our hearts?  Will anyone other than God truly see who she is?

“A Palace on the Plains” where a bride groom pays a seamstress to come to his homestead to sew a wedding dress and trousseau for his bride to be.  Envision her doing this in a soddy on the prairies where there is one large room which acts as a kitchen, a living space and as bedrooms for two children and three adults, none married to each other.

The seamstress, use to moving often with her father, a tailor adjusts easily.  The wedding dress is finished first then the rest of the trousseau follows.  There is a “soddy raising”, a wedding and a blizzard to make for interesting reading.

“Waiting on a Promise” has a man homesteading, leaving his lady at home waiting for the letter asking her to come west to marry him.

A letter more a note, arrives but does not say the words she has waited over 15 months to receive.  Knowing  something is wrong she packs and goes anyway.  What does she discover when she arrives?  Who is the person causing trouble and why does he covet the homestead and then discredit the prospective groom?   Interesting developments unfold as the bride to be becomes enmeshed in the coveter’s schemes.

“The Bogus Bride of Creed Creek” is a lady looking to recover the land and house that was swindled from her deceased father in a card game.  Marriage to a bigamist, expecting a baby, and a conflict over who owns the ranch all make for a great read by one of my favorite authors.

I wish to thank the authors, NetGalley and Barbour Publishing for allowing me to read this book.
The writing was good, each author had a very interesting story! My biggest problem which is probably just a personal preference, is how fast the love story happens. They were so fast paced and I wanted more resolution in the story lines. But I think that is just something to be expected from novellas. The writing was solid and I did enjoy all the characters!
The Homestead Brides Collection is a collection of 9 short Christian romance stories set in pioneer days, when Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Texas were first being settled. Each of the stories is about 50 pages long, and each is by a different author.
For the most part, I did enjoy reading the Homestead Brides Collection. Of course, each author has a different style, so there were some stories that I connected with more than others. My only real criticism is that 50 pages doesn’t give a lot of room for character and plot development, so the story lines have to stay fairly simple. (I would probably prefer there be fewer, maybe 3 or 4, novellas that are 150 pages each and have a little more character and plot development.) But overall, the stories were enjoyable, and each of them had a strong focus on God and Christian principles.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
I love historical fiction to begin with and these authors are the best at what they do! Each story will hold you a little closer and find you cheering along and a couple I even found myself shedding  a happy tear! I love the length of each story. I didn't feel rushed for the ending as can happen with some shorter stories. I felt like the entire story was there beginning to end. Great book to read and share with friends that love reading but might find the time in their life where a full novel is too much for them as in the case with myself lately. Thank you NetGalley for the ARC copy of this book and my review is my honest opinion.
The Homestead Brides Collection was indeed a exceptional book! I found each story to be just as wonderful as the one before. The characters were so relatable. I enjoyed learning about how hard homesteading was and all the hardships that went with it. The romance in each story was sweet and tender. The couples worked beside each other to run households and work the land. I had to stop between each story and just ponder on what I read, I didn’t want any of the stories to end. I would love to be able to give this book 10 stars, beautifully written!
Barbour Publishers has once again gathered some heavy hitter novelists to participate in a collection of novellas about settling the western frontier. From the plains of Nebraska to the Oklahoma Land Rush, there’s plenty to read about as pioneer women and the men in their lives fall in love while working hard to claim the land they want.
I enjoyed each story, but the ones that stayed with me were Homestead on the Range by Mary Connealy, and Prairie Promises by Ruth Logan Herne.  The heroes from these two particular stories were strong and well-intentioned, but definitely scared off by things out of their control that didn’t seem to faze the women too much (ahem, sheer number of children or child birth anyone?).
Stories included:
•	Flaming Star – DiAnn Mills
•	A Palace on the Plains – Erica Vetsch
•	Waiting on a Promise – Becca Whitham
•	The Bogus Bride of Creed Creek – Kathleen Y’Barbo
I hope Barbour keeps these collections coming. I’ve read several of the collections already and haven’t been disappointed once. I prefer longer novels, but these novella collections are convenient when one wants a “quick” read. It’s also a great way to discover new-to-me authors.
I received an ecopy from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.
Sweet and clean stories with inspirational messages to read this fall and each can be read in one sitting. These stories are all about homesteading out west and the trials and  romance  that came along the way.
When this novella collection from Barbour appeared on NetGalley I requested it instantly, thinking I would enjoy it based on the description and even more on the list of authors. I was right.  Because it is a new edition of the very first Barbour novella collection that I read and reviewed through NetGalley in 2015.
Reading back through my review (which you can read here), I found myself agreeing with slightly younger me.  The brief descriptions brought the stories right back and some of the opinions about the authors or their writers now seem slightly prescient.

While “Homestead on the Range” was not the first story I'd ever enjoyed by Mary Connealy, I've gone on to read every new release of hers since.  And loved them.  I've also gone on to read more novellas by Carla Olson Gade, whose Scandinavian homesteaders I enjoyed in "Proving Up," and by DiAnn Mills whose "Flaming Starr" I described as being the closest to conveying a true sense of danger, not knowing that she is also an accomplished suspense author.  And after reading “The Bogus Bride of Creed Creek” by Kathleen Y’Barbo, Darlene Franklin's “Priceless Pearl,” "Prairie Promises" by Ruth Logan Herne, “A Palace on the Plains” by Erica Vetsch, "Waiting on a Promise" by Becca Whitham, and Pam Hillman's "This Land is Our Land," I've gladly gone on to read more by each of these then new-to-me authors.

All this to say, this collection was a great choice for reprinting on Barbour's part and for readers who enjoy historical inspirational fiction novellas.  And it is may also, based on my personal experience, serve as a good introduction to nine talented authors.  Dare I say it, even new favorite (cough, Pam Hillman, cough) authors?

The publisher graciously approved my request on NetGalley once again, but this post is mainly based on my original review of a digital galley read in 2015.  All opinions expressed are my own.  Again.
While reading the blurb of this collection, Prairie Promises intrigued me. It wasn't the usual set up, and I have to say, it was my favourite book in this collection. I found the collection fascinating, I had never heard of the homestead laws before this. Yet another brilliant collection!