Cover Image: Avidly Reads Theory

Avidly Reads Theory

Unfortunately could not make use of this filetype to read the book. Disappointing as I'd like to read it. Publisher please consider the standard kindle option in the future.
Avidly Reads Theory by Jordan Alexander Stein is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early October.

Theory as the interpretation of the abstract and facing fundamental (perhaps rhetorical) questions (i.e. delineating what is absolutely true versus undeniably false, like the dumbed-down language of a meme, for example) that should be approached carefully with a sense of humility, rather than seeming over-smart, trivializing it, or being confounded/intimidated by it. Alexander Stein makes mention of multiple theorists, instead of unpacking an individual’s theories one at a time, so it gets a little scattered.
As someone who's studied literature and had theory as required reading, I loved reading this book. This is something I could've used in college to get me more interested in theory, especially with anecdotes that relate to the real world. I found the way it was structured to be quite ingenious. Before reading this, I'd only encountered theory in a purely academic context. This book goes beyond that.

But if you're not very familiar with theory, this might not be the place to start as it's not very accessible to all readers. It's not a book you can breeze through either, it requires and holds your full attention, making you think about the ideas presented in the book. I also liked that the theories presented are both numerous and diverse. It's not only introduced me to some works that I hadn't heard of before but also made me curious to read them.
Theory?  Fun?  Yes affirms author Jordan Alexander Stein. Avidly Reads Theory approaches complex ideas in chewable (and understandable) pieces...and even manages to entertain in doing so. I would gladly add this book to the recommended/required reading list for any general theory course. Useful and informative.
I know that this much is true, I loved reading this book and wonder what it says about me for I have never been swayed by Kant, but quickly found myself drawn to reading "The History of Sexuality" by Michael Foucault.
It's refreshing how the author explores theory and in so doing delves into history and culture and how this in essence shapes our lives.
Thanks Netgalley for the eARC.