Cover Image: VanOps

VanOps

This book had me thoroughly gripped from beginning to end.  The story starts in 1057 at a battle, and then flits to present day where Maddy and her twin brother, Will are paying a visit to their Dad. Both called there to see him, and not sure why, the day doesn’t turn out as expected…….

What unravels is a action packed, edge of your seat adventure where the twins are finding out secrets about their family, and are sent on a quest to find an ancient weapon that could cause some serious issues for the world, and particularly the USA…….but will they get there in time? Who is hunting them? And will they be worthy of the final prize?  To get there they have to pass some serious tests, and endure some trying and emotional times.

Honestly, this felt like Indiana Jones/Lara Croft/The Da Vinci Code and is absolutely fantastic! This is one of the books that I would absolutely love to be made into a film! From the moment I started reading, I didn’t want to put it down.  There is never a dull moment, and the story is continuously engrossing.

I love the mix of history, action, adventure, intrigue and mystery!  The author tells us at the end which bits are based on fact too!  The story is really well written, easy to read and follow, and thoroughly enjoyable to read.  I felt connections with the characters and particularly love how strong and amazing Maddy is (love a bit of girl power!).  We see some serious growth in her as a character, but it’s not just her – all the characters grow and progress in their own ways and it brings you ‘closer’ to them.  And Bear……I just LOVE him!

I’m am genuinely excited that there will be more of these, and literally CANNOT wait to see what action, adventure, and quest the guys get up to in the next novel!  if you’re a fan of any of the above mentioned film/books then you NEED to check this out! Absolutely brilliant!  Check out the first 3 chapters below…..and then get BUYING!!!
DNF. I couldn’t get into it. Maddy felt abrasive to me, Will didn’t feel like he was truly  affected by his wife’s murder er al.
Oh, my goodness.  What a ride this book is.  If you like National Treasure, The Da Vinci Code and The Tomb Raider you are going to love this book.  It is a thrill ride from the first word.  Do yourself a favor and read this book!!  I am eagerly waiting for the next one.
Da Vinci Code meets Tomb Raider YES please. Unfortunately I never got into VanOps. I started this on Oct 31st and finally finished it yesterday.

The historical beginning was a chore to get through. Not kidding it took me 2 weeks and a lot of skipping to get past it. Maybe that was why I never connected to the story. Maybe the skipping is what caused me to walk away for weeks at a time but every time I returned I would force myself to read until I couldn’t do anymore and I’d move on to something else.

With all that said I don’t feel comfortable providing details.

Thank you Books Go Social & NetGalley for providing this book in exchange for my honest review, I wish I could.
As a fan of The Da Vinci Code, and basically any puzzle-based mystery, especially those with historical links, then I knew VanOps: The Lost Power would be right up my street. I wasn't wrong.
A family reunion, at the request of their father, sees twins, Maddy & Will head to Napa, only for disaster to strike immediately with the sound of gunshots. The story is fast-paced, with them coming under fire themselves from the moment the quest is revealed to them by their dying father. A little bewildered by the whole idea of this "Lost Power" that can only be saved by them, they find themselves joining up with an old school friend, Bear, whose presence gives them the benefit of his military training, though he is not exactly what he seems. Fortunately, Bear's presence also breaks up some of the friction between the siblings.
Maddy and Will are "interesting" characters. Maddy seems to be able to do anything and everything with ease, and do it well, whereas Will is a bit of a whinger, and is envious of his sister's strength - both physically and mentally. It comes as no shock, therefore, that when tested, only one of them is up to the task. Weirdly, Maddy harbours a great deal of resentment towards her brother too. Theirs is not a regular sibling relationship, and the reasons for their disconnect are not explored in great deal. Maybe, the next book in the series will be more revealing on that front.
The constant reference to Maddy's limited Aikido skills does drag at times - as if it is the only reason she manages to complete some of the challenges. Also, some of the situations they find themselves in appear to be a tad far-fetched - the connection with the Spanish Royal Family in particular - but fiction is just that: make-believe, and it's no more unusual than the plotlines of similar stories.

This is an action-packed thriller as they cross borders and continents to save the world, testing their relationship constantly. The story is engaging by virtue of its settings and history as well as the quest, and the pure escapism will draw you in, if only to see how it all ends. I'd be interested to see how the series develops.
I received a copy of this book via Partners in Crime book tours; my thanks to the author and Netgalley also. My review is given voluntarily.
This book was very atmospheric with lots of action. It was well written and I could not put it down!
Many thanks to BooksGoSocial and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Wow! Historical fiction meets the Da-vinci code!! I was totally gripped right from page 1!

Twins set off on a journey to recover Alexander's ancient weapon. Nowhere is safe for them.  With no one to turn to and no one to trust, they must rely on each other and a friend with allegiance to VanOps.

I loved the fast pace and the intrigued. I couldn't put the book down!

4 out of 5 stars!!! I wasn't sure I was going to like it but I was pleasantly surprised
DNF at 30%. The "similar to Rollins and Preston/Child" hook got me, but it had a number of ridiculous happenings right off the bat and though I tried to push past it, I couldn't get over even more once they get to Spain. And honestly, I'm used to that in both of those other authors, but not to that extent. :'(
This is a new author to me through Net Galley. Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the opportunity.
This was a non stop thrill to read. I was unable to put it down until completion.  I found it very reminiscent of The Da Vinci Code.  The story revolves between present day and a thousand years ago. I loved the historic aspect, the complex charcters and the wonderful settings.
Maddy Marshall and Will Argones, twin sibling visit their  father's old vineyard in the Napa Valley of California. Just as they arrive, their father and Will's wife Maria are killed by gunfire. A young boy named AJ that was traveling with Maddie sees a black BMW hurry away from the scene. The twins are on a hunt to find the killers and the reason for their death but have no idea what a remarkable journey they are to set out on., This is so well crafted and well plotted that it kept this reader in its thrall to conclusion.  I highly recommend this book for all that love historical adventures and thrillers.
Can Maddy learn to wield the power of the dangerous weapon in time to stop the Russian scheme? Failure means the fragile world peace will be forever shattered…

Going into this book I wasn’t sure what I was in for but I knew that this was one long book! I was nervous starting the lost power and very intimidating so when I started it I honestly put it down for a week.

This was a really fun, adventurous, enjoyable read but unfortunately this story wasn’t amazing. It didn’t blow me away and that’s why I gave it three stars.

Although I am looking forward to picking up the second book I feel like the tension and stakes could be built more to put me on the edge of my seat.

Following multiple perspectives within the lost power I enjoyed seeing the different sides of the coin, seeing the different thought processes and emotions. We follow two characters trying to deal with grief while fighting for their lives and we also follow a character with a secret he is trying to hide from the other two main characters.

This was such a good adventure story but it didn’t hit the mark for me. BUT I’m still looking forward to book two.
VanOps starts promisingly enough with the historical snippet about a powerful artifact. Then there are the main characters to be assembled to track it down in the modern day and prevent it from being used by evil factions. What VanOps is, isn't immediately clear, and plays a small part in the novel, but the assumption is that this organization will play a larger role in subsequent books in the series.

I am giving the novel 3 stars because it never really grabbed my attention. I didn't care much for the main characters and found their conversations annoying. I also didn't buy the way they hooked up with Bear, or some other aspects of the story. The historical stuff was interesting and all, and some may find the book much different than I did, however, it just didn't grab me like I hoped it would. Just OK for me.
Starts out with a quick paced battle and steps right into a fast paced story. The character development was a bit empty. Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy for honest feedback.
Outstanding! Exciting and emotional! A masterpiece of storytelling that is surprising for a first novel, we'll written and intriguing. I found myself captivated and invested from the first few chapters. A devastating loss that ripples through the twins sends them on a quest for an unbelievable object that may just have unimaginable powers. Passed down from one generation to the next, from the first King of Spain until now. Every new generation is given the clues, but only the worthy will discover where it lies, only the worthy will find it. Chased across the globe, hunted, shot at, with losses coming one after the other, the twins with their friend Bear face them all head on.
Exciting. Action-packed. Emotional and tragic. I could not put it down! I cannot wait to see where it leads to next! Five stars is the least I could give to it!
I personally don't like it when publishers and authors promote their books by saying: "X book meets Y book in this story!" In my opinion it creates fake expectations that at the end would affect negatively the experience that the reader would have with the book.

About the story: I liked how it started, Avanti did a good job introducing us to the main characters and developing the trigger of the story, however, that "Tomb Raider" part of the book unhooked me from the story. I personally felt that the two vibes (Da Vinci Code and Tom Raider) didn't connect well and it felt like the story was divided in two.

Good character development and story setting. Avanti did a lot of research and she demonstrates this through the pages of her novel. I liked that she decided to center the story around the spanish monarchy and taught her readers some history about it, this topic is not that common in novels lately and it feels good to have this diversity as a reader.

Overall the story was good and entertaining, I wouldn't put it in my list of best books of the year but it was a fast read that got me hooked for a week in a nice story.
I enjoyed this thriller- way better writing than the Da Vinci Code yet it would appeal to people who enjoy that type of adventure.
This thriller has it all: international intrigue, secret societies, ancient power packed artifacts, super mental abilities, intense tests of worthiness, deadly adventures, foreign locations, and more. And the best part for me was that the person upon whose shoulders rests the task of preventing terrible destruction is a woman!

I always like to learn something when I read a novel and this one was packed with information. I like that Centrae included an author's note clarifying the many aspects of the plot based on actual historical events and scientific discoveries. I appreciated information about European kings, historical events like the Crusades and facts about superconductors.

Readers who like high stakes adventures featuring amateurs being hunted by professionals will enjoy this novel. You'll travel to exotic places and meet societies who for centuries have been dedicated to fighting evil. Centrae's writing style is good and kept me turning pages to the very end, an end that sets us up for a sequel.

I received a complimentary egalley of this book through Partners in Crime Virtual Book Tours. My comments are an independent and honest review.
VanOps: The Lost Power byAvanti Centrae  - 3 Stars
Publisher: BooksGoSocial
ISBN: 9781644371961

This is a fast-paced action novel. Obviously, a lot of research went into its creation. There is extensive historical background, detailed setting descriptions, and more than I cared to know about aikido. However, I found the plot often illogical, contrived, and hard to believe. I realize that action fiction involves some suspending of belief, but this was over the top for me. The characters stumble on signs and secret societies that have been around for many centuries just waiting to be found by two distant descendants of Spain’s royal family. It isn’t an awful action novel or a great one. It is just okay.

Reviewer: Nancy
Being a fan of thrillers and writers like Dan Brown, I was eager to try out a new author and was looking forward to a new adventure series.  VanOps: The Lost Power is the first book in what appears to be a possible series.  The story was very quick paced with the main characters, Maddy, Will, and Bear running for their lives while on a quest to find a lost ancient weapon with the power to take down the security of the United States. I did enjoy the numerous locations that the characters found themselves running too. That being said - I was kind of disappointed with most of the story plot.  The situations that the characters kept finding themselves falling into seemed mostly contrived and hard to believe.  They were constantly the target of sniper gunfire and despite family and loved ones dying  - they were able to keep  moving forward with seemingly little emotional effect.  When their family connection to Spanish royalty was revealed it seemed just  too convenient and a little over the top. I love a very strong female character but Maddy was too much of a Mary Sue.  Her quick evolution into a Lara Croft transformation seemed slightly implausible even with her Aikido skills. Also, Maddy was harboring a lot of animosity toward her twin, Will, which did not endear me much to her character and I didn’t understand the reasoning for it for the story-line.  I gave the book three stars because I felt the author was knowledgeable but I would have like to have seen more plot twists.

I’d like to thank Netgalley and the author for giving me a free copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
A wonderfully crafted action-packed story with twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat right to the last page. The amount of historical information given in the book shows that the author has done her research. The wonderfully developed characters continually provide surprises as the story unfolds as each one deals with their strengths and weaknesses. This is a genuine page turner with lots of adventure, action and plot twists. I look forward to reading more by this author.

Thank you to NetGalley who provided me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to BooksGoSocial and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is a very fast paced adventure story which at times felt a little too fast in the aspect that I felt like there wasn't enough detailing in some scenes. The pace was almost too frantic to be entirely enjoyable, leaving the characters a bit flat and somewhat unlikeable for me. In saying that, I will be looking for the next book in this series as sometimes it takes me a couple books to warm up to some main characters.