Cover Image: Resurrection Girls

Resurrection Girls

This is a weird and oddly fun book to read, when I first read the description I was very intrigued and knew it would be a darker read so I knew I would like it. The book centers on a new family who moves in next door of three generation of women. The youngest has a very odd hobby, she likes to write to men on death row, and as weird as that seems it works really interestingly in this book. Overall this is a fascinating look at family and family secrets, and is a great addition for anyone who likes a darker story.
Such an odd and freaky book but I really enjoyed it either way! Very much a sort-of YA horror/romance with some generational curses and love triangles thrown in. Some of the book is super detailed and beautifully written, while some parts almost seemed glossed over and ignored (hence the four stars rather than the five I wish I could give it). Has a bit of LGBTQ+ in there which always makes my bisexual heart happy.

Thank you NetGalley for the free copy in exchange for my honest review.
Resurrection Girls is all about grief. It almost feels like a study on it. It follows Olivia Foster who is stricken with grief and Kara, her new neighbor. Along with the exploration of grief there was also magic realism and a ton of darkness. I didn’t care for the pacing but the writing was solid.
I'm still not exactly sure what I read, but I know it was not for me. This was all over the place, with so many unlikeable characters and plot points that made me want to scream.
‘Resurrection Girls’ by Ava Morgyn was gritty, realistic, and poignant. Lovely, and heart-wrenching at once. It an incredibly moving story that will steal your heart.
(CW/TW: death of a child, substance abuse)

Ultimately, this book is about grief. This book is about what happens when grief overtakes everything. Its dark and depressing, but by the end there is a little hope. I thought this was going to be a bit more whimsical, but it's kind of heartbreaking and raw. Other than a part of the ending that I just don't understand, the story is good and I think the author did a good job of showing how grief can overtake you when left unchecked.
I received an arc from NetGalley for an honest review. This book was very dark and depressing and not at all what I expected.
A story about losing a loved one and barely surviving, and meeting someone who pulls you out of the fog.  A captivating read that I couldn't put down, read it and you won't be disappointed
**Thanks to Netgalley for the e-arc in exchange for an honest review.**

The cover is what got me. This story is about a teenager and her family, dealing with the death of a three year old boy. I really enjoyed the whole story. I understood the whole book, but the last chapters was where I went what the f*** just happened.
This was such a strange little book. I wanted to love it, but for some reason, it was like this entire book was just slightly out of reach. I couldn't fully connect with any of the characters, which I think was kind of the point, but it made it hard for me to get invested. It's not a bad book, but there's a lot of sensitive content and after finishing, I just feel heavy.
Thank you so much to Albert Whitman & Company and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy in exchange for my review.

This book pulled at so many of my emotions, I’m not even sure what to feel right now. I laughed, cried, got mad, and felt so much empathy for the characters I thought my heart might explode.

It deals with so much death and grief and a girl learning how to live again and let people in. I absolutely adored the character Olivia and my heart honestly broke for everything she had to go through. The friendships in this book were amazing as well as the romance and I’m so sad that it’s over with.

Definitely one of my favorite books of the year, hands down.
AHHHHHHH this book had so much potential and it physically hurts that it didn't live up to the hype. I'm a sucker for a beautiful cover and ultimately, that is why I requested it, but this story just doesn't work. Its confusing and wonky with unlikeable characters. Sadly, this was just not my cup of tea.
Thank you so much @NetGalley for giving me this eARC in exchange for my honest and unbiased review (Release Date | October 2019)

SYNOPSIS | Olivia Foster hasn't felt alive since her little brother drowned in their backyard pool 3 years ago. When Kara moves in across the street she realizes that herself & her parents have just been existing consumed by their grief. Kara however is intoxicating & Olivia quickly finds herself accepting her quirks & morbid hobbies (like writing letters to men on death row)

WHAT I LIKED:
- the unexplained magical realism
- character centric story
- the fact that I am still not entirely sure what I read
- the discussion around loss, grief, depression & the effect it has on relationships
- it has a really similar vibe to Burn Our Bodies Down

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
- the amount of drug use in this story
- I expected the letters to be a bigger focus
- this falls into the YA absentee parents trope
The premise of this book and the cover really drew my attention. This book wasn't really what I was expecting. This book is aimed at a middle grade audience and covers the topics of grief, depression, family, substance abuse and loss in a way that someone younger might understand.  I think I didn't enjoy this book as much because it was geared at a younger audience but I do believe 13-18 year olds will really enjoy it. Ava Morgyn uses magical realism beautifully to guide Olivia and Kara along on their journey.
I gave this one 4 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed it,. I loved all of the spooky witchy vibes. It is a well written, the plot is intriguing and the characters for the most part are likable. i also need to mention the cover, it's creepy and i love it! I will definitely be picking up more Ava Morgyn books in the future.
A unique story about dealing with loss and grief as well as friendship and finding peace. I had this book for a long time on my TBR shelf and kept passing it over. I don’t know why! I whipped through this enjoyable read on one slow Saturday.
This book would have done much better as a non-supernatural tale of loss and friendship and how mourning must eventually come to an end. As that book, it would have been almost perfect. It would have been a mean, morbid, punch-in-the-gut type book, but it would have been a better story. The tale of Olivia, a girl suffering the loss of a family member, and the new girl in town who throws Olivia's life into a chaos that helps her live again through wildness and kisses and a more normal type of teenage angst.
What was delivered instead was almost that, but with strange supernatural elements thrown in that did nothing but confuse and add a creepy element that didn't need to be there and didn't even get properly explored. They didn't ruin the book, but they left a mar on what could have been.
First of all, this cover is so intriguing and made me want to read the book. I really enjoyed the first 25% of the book, but something went wrong after that. It got confusing, and there was a disconnect for the rest of the book.
A real interesting, thought provoking debut that mixed genres in a way I've never seen done before. The writing was a bit choppy, as it is a debut, but a strong entry into the YA world overall.
Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgally for review purposes.

I...have no idea how I feel about this book. It yo-yoed so much for me. At times I loved it, other times I hated it, and then I was just sort of confused. It felt like at times it was building up to be a sequel because there felt like there was so much left to explore and explain but then it just sort of seems to end.

I enjoyed the first half of this book a lot, it felt like it was going somewhere but it just never really got there. I'd love to read more by this author - the YA element felt perfect, just the supernatural stuff felt a little flat to me.

Overall I didn't dislike it. Id give it a try for others who are curious.