Law and Addiction

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Really good!  Well written, interesting.

Like the title says it's about law and drug addiction, a real epidemic, a real big crisis.

A really good thriller with interesting characters, fast paced, captivating from page one.  You don't want to put it down.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me access to this book.  This is my honest review.   All opinions are my own.
This is a timely legal thriller. Our country is facing a crisis in the our communities as we deal every day with new opiod overdoses. The cost is more than we should be willing to accept.

I had some complaints about this book, but after closing it, I realized my complaints were perhaps petty, but also a good strategy to sharing the more important message of this story.

We are given a perfect hero. He has had some challenges in his life, but he is a crusader and he's smart and kind and able to get things done. He interacts with other perfect people who cherish their wives, work upstream, but still have plenty of money to fly around on private jets. Some of this was hard to swallow in the moment. However, what this group of really good people set out to accomplish and the battle they have on their hands may require really good people.

What Papantonio does very well in this novel is to shine a light and humanize the opiod crisis. We go into West Virginia and see all of the different mechanisms at work. As readers, we get to see the desolation and heartache the influx of drugs have caused. We get a taste of addicts, people in recovery, drug mules, and people who take advantage of the situation financially.

There was a lot of sitting around and discussing next steps as our dream team of lawyers plotted their next moves, but this never felt unneccessary or repetitive. During the course of the story there was also love, friendship, humor, grittiness, twists and turns.

The author is clearly well-versed in this type of law and in this growing crisis. This is a book people should read to help understand why the opiod crisis is not going away and why each of us should care.

I want to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
I’ve read a couple of books by Mike Papantonio  and have enjoyed them all. They are all easy to read and fast paced. I highly recommend this book.
Excellent mix of thriller, law, corporate greed, drug addiction epidemic. The timeliness adds to the tension of the excellent writing and authentic characters.