The Autoimmune Protocol Comfort Food Cookbook

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Sep 2019

This is a great cookbook for people suffering from gut problems and autoimmune issues. It is well documented and easy to understand. The recipes are straightforward and the photography is very appealing. However, ingredients are not standard to most cupboards and they are more expensive to buy. The cost and extra time to make the food may be too difficult to maintain for some people.

This cookbook is a great addition to anyone's personal library. Thank you to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing for the opportunity to read and give an honest review.
Everyone treats inflammation reduction cooking a little differently. I was very excited to add some comfort recipes to my collection, but sadly I wasn't over the moon with a lot of them. As someone who is a vegetarian this book swayed very much on the meat heavy side of the track. If I was a meat eater I would have found more usability for this cookbook in my collection.
The Autoimmune Protocol Comfort Food Cookbook is a great resource for anyone with an autoimmune disease. The author goes over the details of an AIP diet and lit's out the foods to avoid or eliminate from your diet as they may cause flare ups in your body. There are some ingredients that are specific and need to be purchased, such as nightshade-free ketchup or "tomato" sauce. But there are also a lot of great recipes that make use of normal grocery store ingredients, such as my favorite the  recipe for Avocado Pesto Chicken Salad. YUM!

Filled with wonderful, full-color photography, this book will inspire you to try new recipes as you make the journey on an AIP diet. I highly recommend this book for your cooking library.
Easy to follow recipes that actually turn out as good as they look.  I found myself utilizing this book more than once when planning menus for the week.
3 out of 5

**OMG!  I cannot believe that these reviews haven't been done!  I am so sorry they are so late!!!**
I enjoy the wide range of the types of recipes. I think the recipes are written well and they are easy to understand. I enjoyed the photos that were included, but I wish that all of the recipes had a photograph. But other than that good.
The recipes look great in this book. Easy to follow, with both volumes and weight measurements provided for baked goods so you can measure however you're used to measuring. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. and the variation is great. My only 'complaint' is that I like cookbooks that provide basic nutrition information, e.g. calorie count, sugar count. This is very helpful information to have, especially for people on a diet protocol.
This book would be a fantastic guide for someone changing over to an Autoimmune Protocol diet. There are a ton of substitutions for those "normal" foods that you would miss when changing over. I recommend this only if you are absolutely going to change over to a complete AIP diet. Many of the ingredients are things most kitchens would not have under other circumstances, so if you are going to do this, you need to be all in. Not for the passive, try a particular diet some days type of cook.
This is a beautifully designed cookbook. The variety of recipes is pretty expansive, and several of the building blocks can be used in many of the other recipes. The style of cooking is "comfort food," although for many of us it probably just registers as typical American--waffles, chicken wings, soups, and salads. I have several family members with different dietary restrictions that involve avoiding grains, so I was happy to get some new ideas for making more "normal" foods, rather than just grilled proteins and vegetables.

Thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for the digital ARC!
I was excited to get my hands on this cookbook. ๐Ÿ‘ Since being diagnosed many years ago with PCOS I am always on the lookout for good specialty cookbooks. ๐Ÿด Every recipe featured is free of gluten, dairy, eggs, legumes, and refined sugars (just to name a few). โ›” A little more limiting than I am used to, I still found plenty of yummy sounding recipes to choose from. ๐Ÿ‘

-- CHICKEN BONE BROTH ๐Ÿ—
-- NIGHTSHADE-FREE โ€œTOMATOโ€ SAUCE ๐Ÿ…
-- BLUEBERRY WAFFLES ๐Ÿช
-- ORANGE CRANBERRY SAUCE ๐ŸŠ
-- GINGERBREAD COOKIES ๐Ÿฅ
-- โ€œCHOCOLATEโ€ CHUNK COOKIES ๐Ÿช
-- FROZEN GRAPEFRUIT MARGARITA ๐Ÿน
Delicious sounding recipes I canโ€™t wait to try in my own kitchen. If youโ€™ve done Paleo or Whole 30, and discovered removing certain fruits, veggies and grains allow your body to fell better, pick up a copy of this book to add to your library of what to make when you have food sensitivities..
I really enjoyed this book. The breakdown in the first few chapters were so helpful. As someone that has lived with an Auto Immune disease basically all of my life I have always been very careful with my diet. My mother who also has Lupus has not been as careful and it shows. I love that there are classic recopies in here. I can't wait to try some of them. Diet makes such a huge difference in every aspect of my health and i think it will help my mom as well. This is broken down in an easy to understand way. I will be getting this book for my mother.
This is a beautifully put together collection of recipes for people that follow an autoimmune protocol diet. There are tons of options for replacements of comfort foods and they all sound really tasty!
Fair Winds Press and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of The Autoimmune Protocol Comfort Food Cookbook: 100+ Nourishing Allergen-Free Recipes.  I was under no obligation to review this cookbook and my opinions are freely given.

Gut health is tied to our body's overall health and, when triggered negatively, it can cause an autoimmune response.  The autoimmune protocol (AIP) is a healing diet, including good fats, proteins, vegetables, and fruits that are essential for a healthy body and mind.  There is an at-a-glance chart at the beginning of this cookbook, showing foods that are in the AIP diet, as well as which foods to avoid.  The author goes through the importance of the diet short term, the process of reintroducing troubling foods, and a good description of different cookbook ingredients that may be unfamiliar to many.

The section named AIP Basics has recipes for items such as bone broths, nightshade free ketchup, and nightshade free tomato sauce.  These building block recipes are very useful later in the book, but also can be used as a jumping off point for cooks looking to be creative.

The section titled Breakfast in Bed contains out of the box type recipes, as the AIP diet does not use eggs or grains.  Eaters will be surprised to find great recipes such as Blueberry Waffles, made with alternative flours and coconut oil, as well as Apple Chicken Sausage, which is a healthy alternative to the store bought version.  The Turkey and Carrot Breakfast Hash is quite nutritious and filling with a great combination of ground turkey, bacon, and vegetables.

The Appetizers, Dips, and Snacks section has varied offerings, like Mini-Mediterranean Chicken Skewers, Scallops with Bacon Jam, Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Dipping Sauce, and Kid Friendly Veggie Tots.

Soups, Salads, and Sides has interesting recipes, like Broccoli "Cheese" Soup, with the aforementioned bone broth, coconut milk, and coconut cream as a base.  The recipe that I am most excited to try when the weather turns cool is Immunity-Boosting Chicken Soup with its plethora of vegetables, chicken, and bone broth.  Other soups that look equally as delicious are Italian Wedding Soup, Pork Belly Ramen, and Chicken Pot Pie Soup.  There are also dishes like Traditional Hungarian Goulash, Cauliflower "Mac & Cheese", and Avocado Pesto Chicken Salad.

Craveable Mains and Sides boasts such delectable dinners that readers may never eat out again.  This section contains variations of classic dishes like Swedish and Italian-style Meatballs, Zucchini Lasagna, Bolognese with Zucchini Noodles, as well as unique offerings like One-Pan Egg Roll and Lamb Gyro Skillet.

The final two sections are Holiday Favorites and Decadent Desserts & Drinks, both of which have finished dishes that will have readers thinking differently about "restrictive" diets.  Overall, there are many beautiful photographs of finished dishes, which are inspiring.  The biggest thing that I took away from reading The Autoimmune Protocol Comfort Food Cookbook is that healthy eating does not mean not eating well.  I would highly recommend this cookbook both to readers that need to follow the AIP and to those just looking for a healthy way of eating.
The Autoimmune Protocol Comfort Food Cookbook is an action plan and recipe collection for allergen free comfort foods by Michelle Hoover. Due out 10th Sept 2019 from Quarto on their Fair Winds Press imprint, it's 192 pages and will be available in paperback and ebook formats.

Most of us have comfort foods; foods which make us happy or are associated with special memories or family recipes which are tied up emotionally with our life experience. Getting a diagnosis which includes an auto-immune component can literally turn our lives upside down. This cookbook tries to replicate some of the comfort foods which are also autoimmune diet protocol compliant.

The book follows a logical progression. The introductory chapters explain what the AIP diet is, some history, a very basic explanation of the mechanics behind auto-immune responses, along with a list of non-inflammatory foods and foods to avoid. The intro includes an explanation of the four phases of the diet. The author (and many dieticians) recommends keeping a food journal to gauge the body's reactions to reintroduced foods.

The next chapters contain recipes arranged by meal category: breakfast, appetizers, soups & salads, mains & proteins, holiday dishes, and desserts & drinks. There are over 100 recipes included as well as a massive amount of supporting information. Many (many!) of the ingredients will probably be unfamiliar to readers who haven't followed an anti-inflammatory diet before. Some ingredients will probably be difficult to source outside of special order or a specialist grocery.

Each recipe includes serving yields, special notes (cocnut-free, one pan, simple to prepare, and made in under 45 minutes), along with estimated prep/cook times. Recipe ingredients are listed bullet point style along with optional ingredients. All measurements are given in American standard and metric measures. The directions are given step by step, numbered sequentially. Special notes about the recipe are given in sidebar boxes.

Roughly half of the recipes are accompanied by serving photographs. The photography is lush, appetizing, clear, and appealing. The typesetting and layout are clear and easy to read. It's a well written, content dense book.

Four stars.
I personally wasn't a fan of this book; too many "facts" they present have been debunked. Plus, the second you cite Tom Brady, even anecdotally, as a source, I question whether you're actually attempting to help people or make a buck off of the (understandably) desperate-for-relief chronically ill community. However, strictly as a recipe book, it's fine. Some of the recipes look interesting, some look absolutely disgusting. Some, based on my own autoimmune issues, seem like they might do more harm than good. If people who try this find relief, great, more power to them, I'm glad you found something that works. Otherwise, this is a highly restrictive diet that cuts out a lot of foods that actually provide vital nutrients to the body and immune system plus it's massively expensive, so I'd have a long and thorough conversation with my doctors before I'd even consider it.

I received a free copy of this ebook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I have 3 autoimmune diseases. Medicine can only do so much to control my symptoms. I have tried paleo in the past but slipped back into my old diet in a couple months. Iโ€™m looking at trying the AIP diet now. This cookbook has some excellent recipes. Ingredients may be hard to find locally but many of the unusual flours such as tigernut can be purchased online. I do have access to excellent grocery stores that does carry most of these ingredients but it may be off-putting to the reader with little experience with ingredients other than what we typically use in our kitchens. Thank you for allowing me to see an advanced copy.
This cookbook is for people with autoimmune disorders.  There's a huge list of foods to avoid or eliminate, because they will cause an immune response in your body leading to a flare up.  She lists alternatives, and provides recipes for common foods using alternative foods.  It's well written, and she explains everything very well.  The recipes are something that I'm going to try.  I have an autoimmune disorder, but I haven't tried food moderation or replacement.  I think the first recipe that I'm going to try is the buffalo chicken wings.  The book has beautifully illustrated pictures of the food.  Anyone with an autoimmune disorder should buy this book.
The author starts the book discussing autoimmune diseases and shares her journey of being diagnosed with Hashimoto and how she used food as one of the major sources for her healing. She then goes on to talk about the foods that can be used for healing when following the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP). Following the AIP seems pretty strict, but it's good to note that it's not meant to be long term and that you can gradually reintroduce foods. For me personally I would need to modify quite a few of the recipes because of dietary reasons. I did make the cauliflower "mac & cheese" and it was delicious. The recipes seem easy to follow and not too difficult to make. The book was full of beautiful pictures of many of the foods described in the book. Thank you to Netgalley and Quarto Publishing Group โ€“ Fair Winds Press for an ARC copy in exchange for an honest review.
This book contains 100 allergen free recipes for those with auto immune diseases, inspired by the authors diagnosis of Hashimoto disease, and her quest to reduce inflammation and heal her body through eating whole foods and removing inflammatory foods.  The Auto Immune Protocol is meant to be followed for at least 30 days, with foods gradually bring reintroduced and symptoms monitored.

She starts by providing lists of foods to enjoy, and those to avoid, with information on why these choices need to be made. The information provided on AIP is readable and very easy to understand, and to me, with a compromised immune system, make perfect sense.

The recipes are not too complicated and include things that everyone can enjoy, and notes for suggestions on equipment, ingredients or use of leftovers.

The chapters and just a sample of recipes included in them are:

AIP Basics (e.g. stocks)
Breakfast in Bed (banana bread French toast, Apple chicken sausage)
Appetizers Dips and Snacks (scallops with bacon jam, queso blanco)
Soups, Salads and Sides (chicken potpie soup, butternut leek risotto)
Craveable Mains and Proteins (Mongolian beef, zucchini lasagne)
Holiday favourites (cauliflower stuffing, cranberry cheesecake bars)
Decadent Desserts and Drinks (mint chip brownies, southern fried apples)

I particularly like the full colour photos provided for almost every dish, which look absolutely yummy.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in healing inflammation in their body through healthy eating, or someone who wants to learn more about the affect certain foods have on our immune system, and therefore our overall health.

This book is published on 10 Sept.  I received an eArc from the publisher via Netgalley, but this review is entirely unbiased and the words are my own.