Cover Image: A World Full of Spooky Stories

A World Full of Spooky Stories

I think I kept forgetting that this book is for kids.  So if I was a kid, I would've loved this book.  I was quite the reader then.  Still am.  But I digress.  Fun book to have for kids who like to shiver a little before bedtime.
This was a cute volume of scary stories that I feel you could read every Halloween if you wanted to. I thought the illustrations were beautiful and I loved how it was truly 'a world' as it included stories from many different places. I think if I owned this I would pick it up again and again throughout the year whenever I needed a little spookiness.
This collection of spooky tales is wonderful, with engaging illustrations and fantastic writing. This book would make a great gift for kids who are interested in the paranormal, as well as those who enjoy learning about other cultures.
I really enjoyed this collection of stories!! It was SOOO amazing! So many stories, from so many places with unique artwork! Simply must own this!
Things I love about this book: spooky stories, kid friendly, enough depth to captivate adults too, arranged by geography with cultural context, charming illustration, a mix of familiar characters and deep cuts.
Spooky tales to read and learn about from other countries and their culture in the world.  I found the tales to be fantastic!  Some of the tales I have never heard of or read before.  There are ghosts or demons in the stories.  While the tales can be spooky, I don’t think it will give young children fear that will turn into nightmares.  Fairy tales can often be much more scared and horrific in comparison.  It’s an excellent representation of stories with lovely illustrations.   If you are looking for books that can scare you so that you have to sleep with a light on, this book is not for you.  This book a sweet, gentle type of spooky tales that are fantastic!
This was an enjoyable collection of myths from around the world. Pretty much all myths are fairly spooky (eerie, grisly, terrible) at heart, so not many are ruled out from this collection. But there were quite a few I'd never read, and I enjoy that. I found the groupings not *quite* intuitive, but that's ok. The artwork was a perfect companion to the stories and I enjoyed it greatly.
A World Full of Spooky Stories does exactly what it says on the tin! Full of traditional spooky tales from a wide range of countries and communities around the world you really do find stories from each continent that have a bit of a spooky slant! I enjoyed reading each of the tales and learning a little of the oral tradition of different parts of the world. There were even stories from the UK that were completely new to me.

I received an eARC of this book from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
My two kids and I absolutely adore this book.    It's the perfect mix of creepy & intriguing.  ..   I may buy this one in person for us!

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.    Thank you NetGalley.
*thank you to Netgalley, Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln Childrens and Angela McAllister for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

4 stars.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. What a wonderful collection of 50 different stories from around the world. I don't think I would have classed quite a few of them as 'Spooky' stories, feven for middle grade readers, but I enjoyed them so much that I didn't mind. This collection has a few tales that I knew of, such as Hansel and Gretel, which was a nice touch to have that be the first story. It was well chosen. For the most part though, I hadn't heard of them.

So many short story collections come with a bunch of stories that I tend to not enjoy but I was pleasantly surprised by this lot as I didn't actually not like any of them. Yes some where better than others but I enjoyed them all.

One other reason why this isn't 5 stars is because I didn't love the illustrations. Yeah they were alright. They weren't bad but they just didn't really make me care for them all that much. But, they were ok.

This would be a great book to have around that you can just pick up and read from any page as the stories were mainly only a page or two long. I would definitely recommend this.
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a fantastic collection of creepy tales. I really enjoyed it and I think kids will too.
A lovely book filled with spooky unusual stories perfect for the run-up to Halloween. I love the drawings, very in keeping with the hard edges of the stories.
A world full of spooky stories es una recopilación de cuentos de todo el mundo, divididos en localizaciones. Angela McAllister ha hecho un trabajo excepcional en este libro, logrando crear un pequeño tesoro que vale la pena coleccionar. Junto a la ilustradora Madalina Androni, han creado algo único.

Si te gustan los cuentos infantiles de toda la vida, los que te lían de pequeña en la cama o los que devorabas las tardes de verano, este libro es para ti. No son los cuentos más alegres, sino que son los que dan un poco de mal rollo y que tanto nos impresionaron. Muchos no los habrás escuchado nunca y es que se ha preocupado de meter historias de tantos lugares que estoy segura de que os encantará. Las ilustraciones, además, consiguen crear esa atmósfera tan propia de los cuentos infantiles, aunque con un toque adulto.

Lectura recomendadísima para este otoño.
You might wonder why your child’s home, school, or public library needs another book of fairy tales and fables, a fair sentiment given the number of volumes on the subject. However, A World Full of Spooky Stories stands out for a few reasons. For me, illustrator Madalina Andronic, who has worked with Angela McAllister on other books, transforms this into a bona fide work of art. Her drawings are colorful, detailed, and amazing and do such an excellent job reflecting the essence of the narrative.

The book’s collection of spooky tales also will thrill young readers who will be frightened in what I think is a fun instead of haunting manner. The tales reflect their original, darker plots and include battles, cemeteries, and death, but these are much tamer than that found in most of today’s entertainment. A final praiseworthy attribute of the collection is the diversity of source material. While there are some traditional fairy tales like Hansel and Gretel and Little Red Riding Hood, most of the stories are rarer and come from countries around the world. In “The Enchanted Apple Tree,” a story from France,” an old woman named Misery cheats death. Russia’s “Vasilissa the Beautiful” pits the kind daughter of a merchant against the feared Baba Yaga in her house set on chicken legs. The collection includes tales from Egypt, Brazil, Japan, Tibet, Iran, Greece, and more. Most of the stories emphasize honesty, kindness, and cleverness, giving rewards to those who embody those virtues and punishments to those who do not.

This beautiful volume will be a treasured book that guardians can share with their children and read over and over again finding new delights with each pass.

Thanks to NetGalley and Frances Lincoln Children's Books for an advance reading copy in exchange for an honest review.
Confession time. Once August knocks on our door and long before my summer holidays are completed, I begin to think of Halloween reads, Halloween decorations, Halloween films and pretty much Halloween everything. This beautiful volume is a perfect addition to the autumnal festive atmosphere (and yes, I am hasty and weird…) of the most wonderful time of the year and an exciting choice for the fairytales/myths aficionado.

Tales of the woods and the water. Enchanted places, farms and fields, oceans and frozen lands. Stories of spirits, graveyards and the strangers at the door, from every corner of the world. Absolutely beautiful illustrations by Mandalina Andronic. They reminded me of the decorative pictures found in Medieval manuscripts and made the book a pure joy to read.

The reader finds classics like Hansel and Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood and Rumpelstiltskin from Germany, Vasilissa the Beautiful from Russia, the Scottish tale of Tam Lin and the Elf Queen, the Seal Wife, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. But the real treasure of this collection lies in lesser - known gems a few of which I’ve chosen to present you:

Yara: A spirit of the forest lures young men on the eve of their wedding. A tale from Brazil.

The Cold Lady: A sad wintry tale from Japan.

Morag and the White Horse from Scotland.

The Dance of Death: A tale of a young girl’s foolishness from Canada.

The Water Witch: A French tale of transformations and the intelligence of a brave girl.

The Enchanted Apple Tree: A tale from Flanders. An old lady called Misery, who tricked Death, bargained with him and gained immortality. If you’ve ever wondered why there is still such an awful misery in the world, you’ll find one of the answers in this tale.

The Blacksmith and the Devil: ‘’If I respect God, I ought to respect the Devil too’’, said an old blacksmith. But his son had a different idea...A very interesting tale from Russia.

The Blind Man and the Demons, an eerie tale from Korea.

Old Nick and the Girl: A battle of dances, running races and wits, from Norway.

Herne the Hunter, a haunting tale from England.

Counting Out the Bodies: A funny tale of misunderstandings from Bermuda.

The Giantess and the Stone Boat, an Icelandic tale of an unfortunate queen.

Esteban and the Ghost, a humorous tale from Spain.

The Old Ogre: The story of a brave mother from Tibet.

These are only a handful of the beautiful tales, legends and didactic myths included in the collection. My only gripe is that I would have loved to see tales from the Balkans. Greece, Serbia and Romania have given birth to some of the darkest tales and yet the Balkan region was totally overlooked…

Angela McAllister has included a handy Sources section and overall, she has done a marvelous job. Many of the stories don’t have a traditional happy ending and I loved that. Life itself isn’t a particular friend of happy closures, after all. Having said that, I am not certain that young children will be able to fully comprehend and appreciate the themes of the stories but middle-graders will definitely adore them. The writing is vivid and not simplified and I intend to use the volume for my classes.

This is a book that is pleasing and special both in terms of writing and aesthetics. A brilliant work by two very talented artists.

Many thanks to Frances Lincoln Children’s Books and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

My reviews can also be found on https://theopinionatedreaderblog.wordpress.com
Get a taste of the spooky stories from around the world in this delightful little book! It was a great little read, and my boys enjoyed the stories from all over the world that have been giving little kids chills for decades.

We enjoyed the read!
Anthologies of folk tales with such global sweeps as this should be things to love, and this comes with a hearty dose of illustration, variety and nous from the compiler.  And while there is eventually much to love about this book – not the least its truly global enthusiasm – it does stutter here and there.  I didn't find too much at fault with the first couple, but a tale from Egypt regarding a graverobber was a little too bland, and that was nothing compared to Little Red Riding Hood, which bluntly as possible got to the gran's being eaten and nothing else.  It was almost as if the designer had said "right, you've got one page and one page only, what are you going to do?"  "Er… I've got half a story that might fit."  Tam Lin, and a Nepalese mountain ogre, are almost as poor in their abrupt endings.

Still, as time went on with this book I have to say that such early blips were ironed out.  Fun tricks played on Old Nick for the sake of some dancing shoes (and a soul as well as some soles), and even English stories I'd not read before, proved this book's worth.  You get a siren song from the Brazilian jungle, a Chinese Rapunzel, and more you won't have had in your similar books as a child but will immediately engage with.  You have to hope for a more consistent style in these volumes, however, for one bum note could send a child elsewhere, or scupper the adult reading aloud.  It's all a matter of principle – such as not making a dog-snouted bunyip look like a sabre-toothed something on one page, and an owl on the other, and never at all canine.  But while the author does hiccup when thrusting a whole story into a couple of paragraphs for her one-page efforts, it is if anything front-loaded with weaknesses and generally of a very high quality, and overall I certainly do wish it success.
This collection gets an A+ for diversity. It's definitely a comprehensive volume of spooky tales from all around the world. Some of the illustrations really do capture the mood quite well, but some seem whimsical rather than spooky. All in all, it would be a great addition to any home or classroom library. Four stars.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me a DRC of this book, which will be available for purchase on September 3rd.
I like that this has lots of spooky stories from various countries. It's a nice little collection to have. The writing is a little bland, I personally would have like a bit more of a lyrical tone. But, overall, I say this is a neat book to have in bookstores and one I would definitely recommend.
Not only is this book visually beautiful it also full to bursting with different tales from around the world. There were a few old favourites but there were so many that I hadn't read before! My favourites were:
Grandfather's Eyes  from Czechoslovakia - I've never heard of this one before. It's delightfully gross and clever.
The Story of Yara from Brazil - moral of the story listen to your Fiancée.
The Bunyip from Australia - ever since the cartoon Dot and the Kangaroo that I watched when I was a kid I've loved the Bunyip, it scared me but I loved it. Reading this story I was definitely on the side of the Bunyip.
The Talking Skull from West Africa - That last line made me chuckle.
Pretty much every story in the In Graveyard section, ghost stories have always been my favourites.
With beautiful illustrations and a wide variety of stories this is a great book to get to read at bedtime.