The Mindful Place of Calm

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Oct 2019

What would you most change about yourself?  Can you honestly do this?   Fear is the one deterrent to changing ourselves.

Change takes consistency over a sustained period of time.  The willingness to look at your issue and the fortitude to uncover and deal with it.  Are you willing to make this effort to change yourself?  This is what the yogi’s and masters of times past did in order to remove unwanted patterns, habits and energies from both their physical bodies but also their energy fields.  Thank you Mr Miller for saying this in easy to understand language!

It sounds easy does it not?  It is when one is focused on change that is improving to both body and soul.  Focused intent, a willingness to look at both the issue and the self critically and in an unbiased way, with the Will (and this is important) and then the constancy to keep at it each time the issue to change appears.  Just remember everyone is able to change, able to make more beneficial choices for themselves.

What stops us from changing?  A technique we find, use and have success with, stops working after a period of time.  We get discouraged, we regress.  Why, did the the technique not evolve along with you?  There were no additional levels of assistance.    It may also be that in changing your perception and behavior you did not change the foundation on which your reactions or decisions stem from.  In changing ourself we must also change the foundation upon which what we are changing is based.   To change yourself you will have to change how you think, feel and act.

In building a home, one does not build on quicksand without making sure the house will last longer than overnight, a month or even a year.  Rather a builder finds ground that is firm,  level and solid.  Building our new foundation takes concentration, focus, determination and strength of will.

Meditation is a way to build this new foundation.  Three feelings manifest from a meditative practice; peace, calmness and stillness (this occurs when the mind is not racing).  The author names examples of meditations he teaches his students.  He describes in detail the Candle Meditation, then the Grazing Meditation and the Nose Breathing Meditation; there are other meditations placed through out the book too.

This book contains untold wisdom easily explained and condensed into a couple hundred pages.  How the author does it is through practice, application and becoming.  One cannot write about something one has no knowledge or awareness of.  To place so much into so small a space takes care, study, focus and will.

I thank the author for his insights, for sharing and most of all for his Renovatio Sutras.  I am humbled to come across his explanation and is it not so that when one changes themselves they rebirth a new Being, a new self?

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd through NetGalley. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
This just wasn't for me. It wasn't what I expected — like some other reviewers, I expected less self-help and more meditation and techniques and tips — and the narrative voice felt a bit dry and boring for my taste.

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
I found this book hard to read and boring. It came across as preachy in some places as well. I really wanted to like it as meditation and trying to calm my mind are very high on my priority list. I’m sorry that this book didn’t provide me with what I need.
As a longtime sufferer of depression and anxiety I appreciate that this was more of a self-help book. It was a fast read with good meditation instructions. The tips and techniques are ones that I will be incorporating in my daily practice.
There's a lot of good ideas and wisdom here. The author is a clear writer and has some worthwhile approaches to our many challenges. I learned some new perspective and was reminded about a number of ideas I should keep in mind. Good meditation instructions as well. Recommended for knowledge seekers. 4.5 stars rounded up.

I really appreciate the advanced copy for review!!
This was an interesting book. I thought the information presented was well laid out and flowed well. I really enjoyed reading it and want to try and start implementing some of what I read.
I was not vibing with the book like others might. there are some recommended resources to look at. Can be helpful for those who want to read more. I think I was expecting more helpful things and not going with interpretations of passages/quotes near the end of the book.
Usually when you read books like this you're prepared to roll your eyes or settle in for long boring spiels that you  did not sign up for but you push through because you know there's some good in it, a message that you want to depart with. I mean, you DO want to get your money's worth since you did buy this book right? This book was wonderful. I didn't feel as though I was forcing myself to read some convoluted mess and the techniques that Mr. Miller provided were wonderful and relaxing.

I suffer from depression and anxiety and this summer has been hell, I'm not going to lie. This book was light, funny, and a great guide for meditation and self help. It was a fast read and easy and when it comes out I will buy it for myself because it did help and I could use more than a few of these techniques in my day to day life.

Thank you very much to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this ARC. All opinions are my own.
Sorry for my possible English mistakes!!!
If you love teachings from Buddhism, or from teachers like Anthony De Mello, Ramana Maharshi or even up to some point from Osho...you will treasure this interesting book! For beginner it will open new wonderful world of awareness and for the experienced practitioner it will make clear some advanced considerations about meditation and general approach. Special thing in this book is that one will be able to trace all important stages of spiritual life and then be able to make his/hers own table which will make things more easy and enjoyable for understanding. Read it carefully and you will discover many gems in this text.
Thanks Llewellyn and NetGalley for allowing me to review this awsome book.
The Mindful Place of Calm is a great book with useful information, techniques,and advice. The book is well written and easy to read.
I thought this book was going to be focused more on meditation and mindfulness rather than self-help, but it turned out to be primarily  self-help based. I wasn't looking for a self-help book, but set that aside and I would have to say this is a well-written, well-composed and thoughtful work. Its tone is comforting, nonjudgmental and authentic. The tips given on meditative practice are unique and helpful. Four stars.