Before the Devil Fell

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Nov 2019

I was very intrigued by the premise of Before the Devil Fell, but I'm just not able to get into the story. Too much telling and not enough showing; stopping at 30%. Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
I really enjoyed Before the Devil Fell. This is the perfect read for halloween and fall. This book has everything, the occult, secrets, witchcraft, magic and a suspenseful mystery that I won't soon forget. l

The setting is a small New England town and was perfectly described down to each chilling detail. I have lived in New England my whole life so the accuracy of the setting quite impressed me.

The characters were complex and well fleshed out.

A great read that I highly recommend.
When Professor Will’s mother, Abigail, falls down her back steps and into a coma, he is forced to travel back to his small hometown in Before the Devil Fell.

The village that Will grew up in is full of secrets. Were Abigail’s friends from his childhood doing something more sinister than having a new-age’y “spirit circle”? What happened when he was five to destroy the family feeling of the town? Is there still something supernatural lurking there?

I have mixed feelings about Before the Devil Fell. On one hand, the mystery was good and I was surprised by the perpetrator. But on the other hand, I wanted more from the supernatural element. For horror, I want it to be balls-to-the-wall scary. This was just “creepy” in an atmospheric sort of way. Perhaps I read the book synopsis incorrectly but I was expecting more New England shenanigans. You know like witches or demons or something. Possibly that is because it is Halloween month. I think as long as you are not expecting that aspect of the book to shine, this would be a 4 star read for the mystery. However, for myself, I would rate it as 3.5 stars rounded up.

Thanks to Hanover Square Press, Harlequin Books, and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for my honest review.
When Will Connor returns home to care for his injured mother he finds himself looking deeper into a tragic incident that happened years before during one of his mothers spirit circles. New England witches and a family full of dark secrets. This was pretty creepy at times and I really liked it. I recommend it for a perfect October read.
Dawnny-BookGypsy
Novels N Latte Review
Hudson Valley NY
Before The Devil Fell is a promising mystery that will leave readers creeped out!

I was extremely excited to get my hands on this mystery by Neil Olson. I absolutely loved the setting and atmosphere to this creepy small town. There are plenty of moments that will leave you creeped out in this story.
I at first wasn't sure where the author was trying to take this story but felt that there was a bit too many details that caused the overall plot to diminish for me.

I was hoping for the author to elaborate within the plot of aspect of the seven families and felt the characterization was a tad weak.

Overall, it wasn't a bad mystery just nothing that special in my opinion.
3 stars!

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Harlequin/Trade Publishing for the arc in exchange for an honest review.

Pub day; 10/8/19
Published to GR: 9/24/19
Before the Devil Fell is one of those books where the premise is promising, yet finds itself bogged down by details that cause the plot to unravel a bit at the seams. I'm the type of reader where oversights, such as problems having the ability to be solved by a few simple questions or baseline communication, can break a reading experience for me. While these issues did cause me to lower my rating, I still enjoyed the atmospheric element that the suffocating small town brought to the table. If you enjoy witchy stories during the fall season, I recommend you consider this one, as it's an easy, quick read with chills and thrills abundant.
This book was not what I was expecting at all. But I absolutely love reading stories that are so different than what the synopsis tries to tell us.

The author did a marvelous job weaving a story with so many little threads and hints of what was happening nd a foreshadowing of what was to come. I truly did not figure out anything until the ending. I was just absorbed in the storytelling.

The story is completely unique. I’m obviously not a expert in the writings of authors that tie witchcraft into their story. But I love the psychological build up and the bits and pieces that drop along the way that build into those suspenseful thrills we love.

The conclusion was unexpected but also very fitting. Those secrets eventually come out and get you!

There was several areas in this book that are definitely creepy. A lot of my updates I posted as I was reading it use that word specifically. But it’s also somewhat of a nod to the history of the eastern states. Stories that get passed from generation to generation fuel this novel.

Unique, engrossing, dark, and definitely a bit ominous! Loved this story!
Will returns to his hometown to care for his injured mother. He had spent many years distancing himself from his hometown that haunted him in many ways. Are the things he sees all in his head, or is there a reason behind these things? As will digs into his family's history, he finds that there might be something more to the witchcraft that he always thought was just some "fad" that his eccentric mother and her coven was practicing. Forced to stay and face his demons, Will has to figure out what is real and what is not.

The mystery kept me intrigued. At first, I wasn't sure what to make of the paranormal aspect. Was it real or imagined? The story developed at a great pace and the conclusion was good and surprising.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. These opinions are my own.

William and Samantha met as children in a town populated by seven families from Wales.  According to folklore, a demon is among them.  Unexplained deaths and near misses propel the friends to search into the families' pasts in order to stop the violence.
Will was happy to escape his hometown. When his mother becomes sick, he goes back. It is hard for him to accept the truth of what is happening to him and who the people he grew up with really are. While there, the truth about his childhood slowly unravels.

It was the mystery that kept me interested. At first, I wasn't sure if the paranormal aspect was real or imagined. There was a life changing event in Will's childhood. More and more clues about what really happened were gathered as the story went on. The conclusion was good. I was surprised by who the bad guy was.
This book is the perfect read for the Halloween season! I could have used a family tree because there were a lot of people and their relationships to each other to keep track of, but it is a minor issue and the story flowed along regardless.  The pacing was good, the premise was engaging, and the characters were interesting.  I enjoyed it and would recommend Before the Devil Fell to readers who like a mystery with supernatural elements that is set in the real world.
Thanks to Net Galley and the publishers for this ARC.  This is a spooky tale about witchcraft. Will Conner goes back to his hometown after his mother has an accident. He soon begins to remember and wonder about one horrific night in his childhood.  It seems the whole town knows something he does not. Something about him? About that night? He and his childhood friend set out to discover what really happened and what it means for Conner.
When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing cool to do but reading as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader.

Will Connor returns to his hometown, a village north of Boston, to care for his injured mother. He’s kept his distance from the town since high school, but once home he finds himself reexamining a horrific incident that took place during one of his mother’s “spirit circles.” His mother had embraced the hippie generation’s fascination with New Age and the arcane, but the unexpected death of a close friend put an end to the meetings of the modern-day coven.

Or did it?

As Will looks deeper into his family’s history he discovers that her practices weren’t so much a passing fad but the latest link in a long tradition of New England witchcraft, which still seems to hold a strange power over the town. Will hopes that unearthing the facts about the death will put his questions to rest, but there are those willing to resort to violence to keep those secrets buried.

Ooooh ... covens.  New England. Hallowe'en. Witchcraft --- cool things to read about in October when the book comes out. (I have always wanted to go to Salem,  but not in October as I hate tourists.) The book is spooky and ethereal and had a gripping plot - once I picked it up, I could not put it down. The characters were interesting and the premise a perfect conundrum - this is the perfect book to suggest to your patrons or to read yourself!

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🎃🎃🎃🎃 in honour of my favourite holiday!