Cover Image: A Question of Us

A Question of Us

I loved this book it had me laughing and a few times shouting at one of the main characters. The group of friends in the story were so good together and I loved how much they took the pee out of one another. Mary Jayne Baker has written another fantastic book which I will be recommending. A must read for anyone who loves a modern day love story.
Mary Jane Baker's A Question of Us is a sweet, friends-to-lovers tale about two friends who participate in a pub quiz team together. Simon won't stop asking Clarrie out. They are best friends, but he's asking for more. It's not a matter of if, but when. It's a charming, though slightly predictable, read that romantic comedy fans will enjoy.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.
My first book by Mary Jayne Baker, the story was warm and heartwarming  . I love when a book explores and shows me different facets of friendships and family.The connection between Si and Clarrie is obvious to everyone apart from Clarrie and at times I wanted to knock some sense into her, to see the obvious.Filled with great humour, really relatable characters and a great set up!
Love the title - so appropriate for the subject matter!

You know how some woman's fiction can be sweeter than a cake in a patisserie? And some can be earthy and much more real? This story falls under the latter category. The banter is so realistic, it's eyewateringly, gut-laughing accurate. Clarrie is one of the lads, and fits in perfectly, but she can also be girly, and I envied her the wonderful friends she had. At first glance, they don't appear at all supportive, but they SO are!

And Simon is a dish. Watching their relationship fall apart and come together again was a delight (nope, no spoilers - you know what;s going to ultimately happen because it's a romance, for goodness' sake!).

I'll definitely be reading more of this author's work in the future.
Really enjoyable read. Good characters and a Good story. Well worth a read. Think others will enjoy.
DNF @15% | No Rating or Fans

I'm not sure what to say about this story. The opening is exciting that we have a group of friends that enjoy competing in pub trivia nights. Between the friends, some crushes are harbored within the group, and there is a lot of British banter that drags down the story. Another thing that dragged down the story making it unbearable for me to read was that it was a very slow-moving story, and it felt as if you should know information about these characters already. This story just was not my cup of tea.

Video review available in Week 3 Jan 12 – 18 weekly book reviews.

For other video book reviews, check out my YouTube Channel: Steph's Romance Book Talk.
I love friends to lovers, but I wasn't too sure about this one. Simon seemed quite overbearing on Clarrie, sometimes to the point of harassment. Not a good look.

That said, I did enjoy this book. I love quizzes, so a book focused on a pub quiz league was something I would have lapped up.

Clarrie is roughly the same age as myself, and she comes across often as a lot of a Chandler Bing at times. Are we somewhat the same person?
I really enjoyed this book, I found it funny - really laughed out loud a good few times - as well as being witty and spiritied.
I liked (not loved) the characters and the witty, banter style dialogue. I think the storyline is cute, probably a bit predictable and not 'deep' but for a really quick read its nice to have something you can just read and enjoy without having to think too much.

I've seen reviews comment on the 'British-ness' of the book, and had no problem with it at all.
A Question of Us was a no finish for me. I actually only made it through the first chapter before I gave up. First, so many British references that it made for a difficult read. I don't mind looking up a few phrases, but I felt like every other paragraph had something to look up and that stopped all flow of the book for me. Second, so much inappropriate sexual innuendo between them members that I felt uncomfortable. Having guys offer to adjust my bra straps, etc, when were supposed to be equals? Not okay.

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC for an honest review.
A question of us. What is the question if us? Do we ajar it in this book? Is this a🥭🥘🎉 cute romance novel? I guess you’ll have to check it out to find out!
best friends turn to lovers is a recipe that I want to have. I like those kinds of stories. They have history and know one another. really liked this one.
A tale as old as time, but doesn't make it any less enjoyable to experience over and over again.

Thank you to Net Galley, the publisher, and author for the ARC.
Overall, this book was a did not finish for me. It wasn't bad, but it just didn't pull me in the way I had expected. I will be giving it another try soon. The character development was wonderful as was the writing, but I believe my mood was the reason for not being pulled in.
The age old 'best friends to lovers' story, they're always predictable and sometimes a little boring. This one was different! It had me hooked from the beginning. Light hearted and funny, and although not much actually happens in the book, I extremely enjoyed it. The main characters, Simon and Carrie, aren't the most likeable characters in the world. (Simon is a bit too over confident, and Carrie is too stubborn,) but they're likeable overall.

After a couple of darker books, this was exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for the ARC, and my apologies in the delay for the review!
This was great; readable, and a real page turner.  I really found myself intrigued from the first.  A great read, and one which I would recommend.
Entertaining and held my attention - thumbs up, y’all! The storyline and characters were spot-on.  Thanks to netgalley for this ARC!
I found myself struggling to establish the connection I was hoping for while reading and decided to shelve at this time.
This is one of the best books I have read for sometime. Charming, a quintessentially British setting and thoroughly enjoyable. It very much reminds me of the TV series Teachers from some years ago. Witty and fun throughout with warm, loveable characters. I adored this book from start to finish and miss the characters dearly already.

This wasn't a particularly memorable or quirky romance as promised. The characters are fun  and lovable BUT the story itself just drags on and on.
Pros: the pub quiz league, friendships, and pub culture in general.
Cons: the romance...which was why I picked this up in the first place.
The pace of this book was really slow and I struggled at parts to get through.