Crypt Suzette

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Aug 2019

What a wonderful book to help you get lost in a story. A definitely well worth read for everyone. This is a cozy story that I’m planning on reading again.
Crypt Suzette by Maya Corrigan is the sixth A Five-Ingredient Mystery.   Val Deniston is catering the grand opening of Title Wave which is the new bookstore owned by Dorothy Muir.  There is a costume contest as part of the festivities with a gift card to the bookstore as the grand prize.  Suzette Cripps, who has been renting a room from Don Myers, Val’s grandfather, enters the contest and wins with her creative entry.  The next morning, Chief Earl Yardley visits the house to notify them that Suzette is dead from a hit-and-run driver.  Val has a feeling that it was not an accident and decides to learn more about Suzette.  After someone tries to run Val down, she has a feeling she is on the right track.  There are multiple suspects, good misdirection and discreet clues.  You will have to pay close attention if you want to solve this case before the reveal. While Val is working on Suzette’s case, Grandad is busy with his new ghost hunting business.  He has two women who have had items disappear. Both mysteries are cleverly done and interesting to follow.  We can always count on Grandad to provide humor and he does not disappoint in Crypt Suzette.  He is certainly busy with his Codger Cook column, private investigating business, and now ghost hunting.  Bayport is celebrating Halloween and the festivities help provide Val with a vital clue.  Bram Muir has come to town to help his mother with her new business venture and Val has caught his eye.  While Crypt Suzette is the sixth book in the series, it can be read alone.  There is cooking a plenty in Crypt Suzette and the author provides a couple of recipes at the end of the book.  I always enjoy the banter between Val and her grandfather.  I like that they have a close relationship and share the same interests (cooking and investigating crimes).  The ending of Crypt Suzette will have you laughing.  Crypt Suzette is a spirited cozy mystery with clever costumes, devilish delights, a crafty killer, Halloween hijinks, morbid moaning, and a phantasmal plunderer.
I've been enjoying this series and it just keeps getting better and better! It has truly gotten me in the mood for Fall lol!!
I especially love the cover!! I like the cover because of the cat. I used to have one when I first moved to Kentucky many years ago.
 The content inside the book is very entertaining. I enjoyed the storyline and I love each and everyone of the characters!
I really love the relationship between Val and her grandfather. It reminds me so much of the close relationship between my grandfather and I on my mom's side. When he passed i felt left out in limbo. I think it was then that my grandma and me grew closer together. For that, I will always be thankful.
I love a book that keeps you turning the pages don't you? This book has all of that. You'll want to be in your cozy place to read this.
My thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book. NO compensations were received. All opinions are my own
The sixth book in the 5 ingredient cozy mystery series is another terrific fun read by the author. Val is living with her Grandfather Don and the two of them make a great pair. With wonderful humor and sarcasm, Val and Grandad together pursue the case of the hit and run of their college age boarder. While the police think it is an accident, Val and her granddad believe Suzette was hiding something and could that have the reason she was hit and killed? While Granddad has his businesses including the Codger Cook column and ghost hunting, he also is involved in working with Val in finding who would have wanted to kill Suzette. With lots of twists and turns and secrets Val and Grandad Don have their hands full while also preparing for Halloween at the bookstore and meeting Bram, the bookstore owner, Dorothy's son who likes to be a take-charge guy! What will the future hold, will Val and Don be able to find the killer? I can't wait to see what the next adventure the next book will bring. I love this series and you will too. I received and ARC from the author but the opinions expressed here are strictly my own.
When a young woman is killed due to hit and run, was it an accident or murder?  Val the local caterer works with her grandfather and friends to solve the mystery and bring justice to the town.
Val Deniston is back at it again. When her grandpa's tenant, Suzette Cripps mysteriously is killed by a hit-and-run car, Val undoes her apron strings and picks up her detective instincts again to help solve it. Along with her grandpa who takes on the new position of ghost hunter, along with his previous roles as a private investigator and cooking journalist for the local newspaper, they set off to get to the bottom of who, what, where and why Suzette was murdered.

A charming novel to get you right into the upcoming autumn and Halloween spirit with a lighthearted mystery to help solve. As an added bonus, some delicious recipes are shared at the end. If you're looking for a light murder mystery story, the Val Deniston series are the ones to delve into.

I kept looking forward to picking up this book to continue going on the adventure right along with the no-nonsense, but amiable Val and her fun-loving grandpa. It helped me take a break from reality as the story was thoroughly entertaining with its quirky characters in a lovely setting. Although the mystery was almost obvious toward the last quarter of the story, you still were left to be unsure as new revelations come to play. The way Val eventually figured out who the murder was seemed a bit too far-fetched, but it didn’t deter from enjoying the story.
Food and books, what a great way to spend Halloween.
Crypt Suzette by Maya Corrigan is marvelously written story with mystery, family, friendship, a hint of love and lots of food. And would make a fabulous Halloween read if you are looking for one.

Val Deniston
Val is our sleuth and main character. She is very inquisitive, yet, friendly and she has a knack for cooking, Val runs a café at the fitness center and does catering on the side. I like that Val isn’t willing to let something go easily. She tries to get to the bottom of things with her Granddad’s assistance, of course. I also like that she takes care of her Granddad in a very respectful way.

Suzette
Suzette is a beautiful young woman, and sadly, she is the victim. She is living with Val and her Granddad until she saves enough money for an apartment. Suzette didn’t have a great life as her father left when she was young, and her mother had issues with Suzette.

However, Suzette was a hard worker, and she had dreams of being a writer which she was working at achieving. She was also an advocate for those who were wrong. I like Suzette and could see us being friends.

Mystery
I enjoyed the way that Val and her Granddad worked together to find out who killed Suzette. The clues were hidden very well and I didn’t pick up on them at first. However, I did guess who did it, and my guess was correct.

4 Stars for Crypt Suzette by Maya Corrigan
My rating for Crypt Suzette by Maya Corrigan is four stars. I truly enjoyed reading about Val and her Granddad’s adventures and look forward to the next installment. There are a few recipes, including one for Crypt Suzettes.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy from the Great Escapes Book Tours. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Thank you for dropping by! I hope you enjoyed this review of Crypt Suzette by Maya Corrigan.

Anyways, until next time,
Karen the Baroness
Happy Reading

If you would like to see other reviews like this one, check out BaronessBookTrove.com.
Crypt Suzette is book six in the Five-Ingredient Mystery Series, I haven't read the previous book and though it would have been advantageous to have read them you can still read this book easily as a stand alone.

Val Deniston lives with her her Granddad Don Myer, both are involved with cooking in their own way and they both also get involved with some sleuthing on the side. Val has solved several cases in previous books, and she seems to be quite adapt a proving who the guilty party are, and it would appear she has no problem in doing so in this book.

Set around my favourite holiday - Halloween, I was drawn to this book by the cover and the story.  We don't get to know much about Suzette as she is killed fairly early on in book, whilst I was disappointed as to have not known her  character we get to know her after death as Val is convinced that she her death was not an accident and Suzette's past is revealed.

The story flowed at a nice pace, was a good clean cozy mystery and I had no idea who the culprit was until it was all revealed!

At the end Maya Corrigan has provided us with some truly amazingly mouthwatering 5 ingredient recipes that I can't wait to try!

5 stars
Crypt Suzette is the sixth installment in the A Five-Ingredient mystery series set on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay and featuring cafe owner and caterer, Val Deniston and her grandfather Don aka the Codger Cook.  Halloween is around the corner and Val has been asked to cater a costume party for the opening of the new bookstore, Title Wave owned by an old friend of Don.

Suzette Cripps is a local college student renting a room from Don and Val, while very friendly she is also very secretive and neither know much about the girls past.  Suzette and her writing club friends attend the party and Suzette is overjoyed to be awarded the best costume.  Unfortunately, her joy is short lived as the next morning she's run down and left for dead while out for a jog.  Suzette and Don aren't sure if her death was an accident or murder, but the clues left in the manuscript she was writing lead the two to suspect the later.

A fast paced plot from the first page featuring series regulars and the introduction of Dorothy and her son Bram, owners of the Title Wave, may mean romance is in the future for both Val and Don.  Plenty of suspects will leave you guessing whodunit.  A great addition to the series.

I received an advanced copy of Crypt Suzette from NetGalley via Kensington Publishing.  While not required to write a review I am happy to offer my honest opinion.
First I would like to thank Netgalley and Kensington Books for the opportunity to read and review this book.

I have enjoyed every book in this series and I think the series just gets better with each new story. It may be because I feel like I know the characters better now, but either way this is a series that every cozy mystery lover should read.

It is Halloween and Val's catering business is getting very busy. Her Grandfather, The Codger Cook is working on his new sideline as well, PI/ Ghostbuster. Between the 2 of them they uncover 2 mysteries and make these books such a treat.

I eagerly await the next book in this series, I can't wait to see what Val's grandfather gets up to next, and I am interested to see where the next potential love interest goes.
CRYPT SUZETTE is the sixth book in Maya Corrigan’s “Five- Ingredient” cozy mystery series. Although this book is part of a series, it was the first I’ve read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Val Deniston is a 30-something chef living with her grandad. Val is catering the new bookstore’s Halloween event when tragedy strikes. I always like it when an author makes the reason that the amateur sleuth gets involved in a murder investigation seem believable. For Val the victim, Suzette Cripps, was renting a room in Val’s granddad’s house. Maya Corrigan does a good job of making the reader care about the victim in the short time before she meets her unfortunate end.

Both Val and her grandad are interesting and realistic characters who work well together in trying to solve the murder mystery and the mystery troubling local thefts. The bookshop is a fun setting, despite all the murder and mayhem. In order to figure out who the murderer is, Val must figure out who Suzette really was and what led up to her death. The supporting characters and potential suspects in CRYPT SUZETTE add a lot to this story and several of the men are an assortment of suave, sinister, and sympathetic – leaving Val to sort out which are which. I enjoyed being able to fully immerse myself in the investigation as I read along.

CRYPT SUZETTE is a fun assortment of tricks, treats and terror for mystery readers. Maya Corrigan balances the mystery elements with the charm of small-town life. Although this story has all the beloved cozy mystery trappings, the element of danger builds as the truth about the murderer’s motive is gradually revealed. I like that Maya Corrigan leaves the door open to romance in future books. I look forward to reading Maya Corrigan’s next “Five- Ingredient” mystery.
"Crypt Suzette" is the perfect introduction to the fall season ! I adore the name and the beautiful cover.
This is the sixth book in the "Five Ingredient Mystery series."
 Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the ARC for review. My opinions are  my own.  I highly recommend this series.
This is my favorite of the series as I love fall themed cozy mysteries.
 This is the perfect read for a early fall afternoon with a spiced tea and a blanket!

Its Halloween season in Bayport on the Chesapeake Bay . Our  protagonist, Val  and her beloved Grandpa Don are excited about the festivities and looking forward to the haunted house and all the decorations in town .  Grandpa is not your average senior as he has many endeavors that keep him busy even hunting for ghosts.  Val and Don have a wonderful relationship and share a home. They have rented out a room to a mysterious quiet young college student who refuses to speak of her past. She seems haunted so they leave her alone and do not press her for information about herself.  When the girl is killed by a hit and run Val has suspicions that it was murder.  Soon clues abound and Val knows she had solid intuition and her suspicions soon prove right.

This is such a well crafted multi layered sleuth that I was unable to figure it out . I loved the conclusion and how the author built layers of clues upon clues. Each aspect of this cozy mystery was done to perfection ! I loved the Halloween theme,  the mysterious sleuth and the charming charcters. I am so looking forward to the next in series ! This is a fun series that I highly recommend.

Five-Ingredient recipes are included . They are delicious and I cannot wait to make them all.  Well done to the author and thank you for a terrific mystery !
Crypt Suzette by Maya Corrigan is the 6th book in A Five-Ingredient MysterySeries, and a very enjoyable read. Val Deniston lives with her grandpa, where he rents a room to a college student Suzette.  When Suzette is killed in a hit and run, Val and Grandpa are on the case.  There are twists and turns around every corner. Just when I thought I figured out who the murderer was, I'm proved wrong. I found this book to be a quick read, with a well developed plot and characters. I especially enjoyed Val and Grandpa relationship.  If you love cozy mysteries, I strongly recommend this book and series.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and Kensington Publishing. Thank you.
The 5-ingredient series keeps getting better and the characters are improving and adding to the reading enjoyment!

There have been two changes in town, Val and her grandfather have a lodger in the form of a local student (Suzette Cripps) and a new book store has opened, the owner of the store has asked Val to cater her Halloween opening bash and has decided to do a costume competition with the prize being a fairly substantial gift certificate for the store. So far so good! Suzette is lucky enough to win the competition (meaning buying college books will be easier) but the next day she is the victim of a hit and run.  Now Val and the Codger Cook need to find out if Suzette was just unlucky, or if the hit and run was more sinister, oh and the Codger Cook has expanded his repertoire into ghost busting!

What are the links between Suzette, the local hotel, the book store and a book writing circle? Read the book and find out!
It's Halloween and Val's grandfather has gotten her a job catering a Halloween party at the new bookstore in town, The Title Wave. Part of the festivities involve a costume contest. The winner turns out to be Suzette, the secretive young woman who is renting grandfather's spare room. Tragedy strikes when she is found dead the next morning, killed in a hit and run accident - or was it really a murder? Val and her grandfather start following the clues to bring the killer to justice.
The relationship between Val and her grandfather is wonderful. I can think of only one other mystery series I have read with such a great connection between generations. They share a house and team up to solve a crime or two. When not tracking a killer, grandfather, Don Mayer, writes a column called the Codger Cook, with five ingredient recipes. He has also branched out beyond that by becoming a ghost hunter. Truly an active senior citizen.
Sifting through their clues and trying to uncover the many local secrets, Val and Don work well with the local police. I find that refreshing. Too often the amateurs see the police as a bunch of incompetents. I don't want to give any more details because I don't like spoilers. Also, this works well as a stand alone so brew up your beverage of choice, find a comfy chair and settle down for a very entertaining read. Then line up the previous five books for a binge read. I'm already looking forward to the next entry.
While we really don't meet or get to know Suzette, of the title reference, while she is alive, the unraveling of her untimely death will keep you fascinated and turning pages late into the evening, no matter what time of day you begin this book. Taking place at my favorite holiday season and with plenty of involvement at some of my favorite types of locations, including a book store and a Haunted House, this book will make you reflect about favorite classic reads as well as being intrigued by this series as a new favorite.

Val Deniston and her Grandfather are both involved in food, in different ways, and sleuthing, also, in individual ways. Even Val is surprised by the creative ways her grandfather can come up with to become involved in investigating mysteries.
I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone because there is so much to enjoy.
Believe me you will be wondrously surprised and delighted by the complications involved in this tangled plot.

At the end of the book author Maya Corrigan treats us to MANY mouth watering delights.
Crypt Suzette by Maya Corrigan is book 6 in the 5 Ingredient Mystery series. I have only read book 1 and 2 but was able to get up to date quickly.
When college student, Suzette, a boarder in Val and her grandfather's house, is ran over in a hit skip while she is jogging. Val sets out to find out who was behind the wheel. Since Suzette was very secretive with her past life, Val has her hands full. Was it someone in her writing group, at her part time job, or from her past. Even when Val is targeted, she still has plenty of suspects on her radar.
Corrigan gives twists and turns to have you guessing until the end. There is also humor, a hint of romance, and recipes. Everything a great cozy needs.
Crypt Suzette will have you in the Halloween spirit.
.I was given an ARC by NetGalley and Kensington Books and this is my honest review.
I always love a spooky mystery or anything related to Halloween. This cozy delivered and was very well written.
After reading Crypt Suzette and I found myself very interested in finishing this book to see who was the killer! There were lots of facts and clues which I enjoyed as I kept reading, plenty of twists and turns which I liked yet I was still surprised when it all came together!
Val the protagonist was one of the busiest females I've ever encountered, with her cafe, catering, sleuthing, taking care of others which all were intertwined with the mystery.
I liked Val and her granddad who shared a large house and their interactions they had. It sounded like a loving relationship.
It's a nice clean mystery and good to read this fall, since the setting surrounds Halloween.
I received a complimentary copy of this book. No review was required.
Crypt Suzette by Maya Corrigan is the 6th book in the A Five Ingredient Mystery Series. The series which follows Val Deniston a young woman who lives with her grandfather. Val also works two jobs one of which is her own catering service she uses as a ruse to help her solve a murder. Val seems to spend most of her time working and sleuthing. It does not seem like she has a very active social life or love interest to start with.

The story takes place close to Halloween. But it is not heavily Halloween themed. If you are reading this because of the Halloween element you may want to know this beforehand.

I have read no other books in this series. Since this book was far along in this cozy series, it surprised me it was easy to follow along. Val and her Grandfather have a tenant living with them Suzette Cripps. When Suzette is the victim of a hit-and-run Val and her Grandfather investigate. What threw me off a bit was how everyone reacted to the victim's death. Val and her Grandfather namely did not seem too broken up or upset over it. Vals lack of previous romantic entanglements help. Also not having the other murders mentioned often made it easy to read along.

I felt Val was more concerned with solving the murder than anything else. That and her possible new romance. One of the main settings is the town of Bayport's newest bookstore Title Wave. Which Val and her Grandfather have a personal connection to.

It bothered me that Val and her Grandfather did not feel shaken more by the death of Suzette. Someone that lived in their home. I felt there was a disconnect and lack of emotional connection between characters. I would have enjoyed the story more they had shed if a tear or two.

What sets this cozy series apart is a few things. Val and her Grandfather are friends with Police Chief Earl Yardley. So they are not often scolded for their investigation. Like in other books. There were a few common tropes in this book that reminded me a bit of Joanne Fluke’s Hannah Swensen Mysteries. The writing styles are not similar. Still if you like the Hannah Swensen Mysteries you will like this book.

I also did not figure out who the killer was on my own which rarely happens. However, the motive was weak and shallow. That and the pack of remorse over Suzette’s death is why I rated Crypt Suzette four out of five stars on Goodreads.