The Legend of Diablo

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Oct 2019

I've been a big fan of this series, and I loved this installment. The characters were great and I loved the world that was created.
The Legend of Diablo (The Devil’s Revolver #4) is the fourth and final book in The Legend of Diablo series. Set in the wild west of America in the 1890’s with a twist of the supernatural, fans of weird west fiction (and zombies) will find this a great read.

My favourite series of novels is Stephen King’s The Dark Tower series, so I was immediately attracted to this book based on the description. Anything with six guns and sorcery has to be good, right. With organisations titled, Division of Sorcery, The Blackthorn Rogues and Pinkerton Agency, you know that there’s going to be some mischief afoot without even knowing what the book is about.

The main protagonist is a strong woman with almost fatal flaws, Hettie Alabama. Unlike most traditional western novels, plenty of the characters in this story were strong and smart women. The previous three books in the series have had such strong inclusivity and diversity that you don’t normally see in western novels, and that structure continues in this fourth and final book in the series. It isn’t forced like you see in some writing where the author just wants to make everyone from a diverse background at the expense of the actual plot or pace of the story. This novel flows naturally with well developed and believable characters.

The story starts with Jane Pinkerton of Pinkerton Detecting Agency after the blood of Hettie for her murder of a large number of agency staff and police but having to take on other cases until a later date. The first case being one relating to The Devil’s Revolver. The Devils Revolver is a mystical firearm that was reportedly possessed by a demon, Diablo, which took over the wielder’s soul. It’s not long before the two main protagonists paths meet.

MacGrath’s character development is excellent and even if you haven’t read the previous books in the series you will still enjoy reading this novel on its own.  It is full of action and flows along at a fast pace.
If you haven’t read the first three books I’d highly recommend reading them as well as the series is just brilliant and if you enjoy this book you will love the rest of the novels.
4 ½ stars out of 5