Cover Image: Nothing Ventured

Nothing Ventured

Having read all of the Clifton Chronicles, it’s always fun to then be able to read a book written by their main character. It was a great mystery that kept you guessing and left you wanting more!
Nice addition to the series and has a strong “can’t put down-ness”. The characters were authentic and the plot believable. I would recommend to anyone who likes mystery and espionage.
This was alright.  I read it because I loved the series that this is a spinoff from, but some of the mystery dragged in the middle.  I had a tough time caring about the art thief as there was no real menace to the "villain."  I liked the writing, though, and did finish it.  I may continue the series just to see what happens to William Warwick, but I would really like more in the original series continuing their stories.
William Warwick was expected by his father to become a lawyer. Instead he fulfilled his dream to not only become a police officer, but to also become a detective. Joining London's Metropolitan Police Force is the career William began after finishing university. He did not have it easy when he joined Scotland Yard, especially so since his first case involved the high theft art of a Rembrandt painting.

William was assigned this case because of being assigned to the Arts and Antiquities unit. With his excellence in academics, he has an edge when it comes to digging into the background that might be behind the theft. In so doing, it is hoped that he can investigate every clue that he uncovers, no matter how deep he has to dig.

Having not read the prior, connected series, the Clifton Chronicles, I was not familiar with this bestselling author's style and I definitely believe I have to give this series another chance. Despite the fact that this book didn't fully catch my attention, I am always willing to give a new series a second shot. So, I do look forward to giving Hidden in Plain Sight, which is book two in the William Warwick series, when it is released.

Many thanks to St. Martin's Press and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.
I love Jeffrey Archer's Clifton Chronicles series so perhaps that is why I found myself slightly disappointed with this book.  I didn't feel the connection with William Warwick that I had with Harry Clifton, but I do have hopes that the next book in the series will provide that.

Overall, while the story failed to deliver any action packed punches, it was a tolerable ride through the world of art fraud and introduction to a character I hope will be fleshed out more in the future.
This was my first Jeffrey Archer book, and, having heard so much about the author, I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it took several tries to get ‘into’ the book.  When I finally did, it did get better for a while, and then wasn’t. I didn’t find the characters or the narrative(s) compelling, and hated the (obvious) ending.
I won’t be posting a review. Thank you, anyway, for the opportunity to read this.
William is going against the grain by wanting to become a detective.  Both his father and sister are lawyers and it was assumed that William would follow in their footsteps.  In this first installment of the William Warwick series. we follow William along on his early years of being a street cop and then as a new detective with Scotland Yard.

This was a delightful story.  William is dedicated to becoming the best detective possible, but that doesn't mean that there aren't a few hurdles along the way.  He is smart, funny and open to learning from his more experienced peers.  There is a real sense of teamwork and I really liked William's coworkers.  The author gave us a nice little twist at the end that left me hanging.  I looking forward to the next book in the series to see where Williams career will take him.

My thanks to St. Martin's Press and Netgalley for this ARC.
This is an enjoyable start to a new series, and I enjoyed learning the backstory of this character. It starts off a little slow, but it gets more interesting as he starts investigating cases.
I keep trying Jeffrey Archer novels and am going to throw in the towel with this one. Cardboard characters, dull, simplistic writing--how does this guy win so many readers?  I was bored early in and stopped there. There's too much good stuff out there to bother with this.
Jeffrey Archer is brilliant. A master story teller and I am such a huge fan of his work. I recommend this book ... you won’t be disappointed!!!!
How can you not love a Jeffrey Archer book?! I was so sad when the Clifton Chronicles was brought to a close...but we get a second chance to enter the world of Harry Clifton, through the fictional protagonist of his famous detective series, Detective William Warwick. This is such a clever concept. This is the origin story for William Warwick. I found it a little slow to start, but quickly became hooked but the multiple cases going on and the battle of the brains between our novice detective and a criminal mastermind. There were also several side cases going on, which initially was a bit confusing, but would be exactly how a detective would be working. It made it more realistic to see how different cases are being worked at the same time and the different teams of detectives involved. I hope Mr. Archer writes another story so we can continue to follow William Warwick's path that was made so famous in the Clifton Chronicles.

I received a copy of this title from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
The Clifton Chronicles set a standard for family drama, allowing us to follow several generations through history.  This is the first book in Jeffrey Archer's new family drama.  In this first installation, we meet the main characters and learn the beginning of the story line that will take us into the conflict of wills that challenge family dynamics while changing history.  If you compare this book to the first book in the Clifton Chronicles, you'll find the same exciting future for Nothing Ventured.  Jeffrey Archer is back on my "watch list" for new titles!
This was a great start to the Detective William Warwick series, as it really focused on how he became who he is.  I like when you know the backstory of a character, as it makes me feel more invested in the story.
I've been a fan of this author since the Cliffton Chronicles. This new series is another great historical drama. It focuses on William as he begins his detective career. His father is a successful, well know barrister along with his sister. However, William feels a different calling much to his father's distaste. The story is easy to read, suspenseful and involved an intriguing mystery. I am excited to read more about William Warwick in this new crime drama set in the late 1970s. I received a complimentary ebook from Netgalley.com
Review featured at www.books-n-kisses.com

4.25 Hearts This is a new series by Jeffrey Archer and I found it really interesting. First, I have a problem with British stories. Mainly it takes me a time or two of reading the same sentence once in a while to understand the different meanings of the same words between Britain and the USA.

That being said it was still a quick interesting read. It kept me wanting to keep reading. The new character of William Warwick I found very interesting to read. The best part was he wasn’t proficient at his newly acquired private eye job and it was fun to see him learning the ropes.

Highly recommended if you enjoy suspense. Can’t wait to read more in this series by Archer.

Disclaimer:
I received a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Very interesting and insightful tale of how a detective came to be. Just further proof that Jeffery Archer remains one of those storytellers whose work you automatically buy because his name is on the cover. Diehard Archer fans will not be disappointed.
“Nothing Ventured” by Jeffry Archer expands the background of William Warwick a reader favorite from Archer’s Clifton Chronicles. This is not a detective story; this is a story about a detective. Warwick is a detective with a rich history and a complicated career.

“Nothing Ventured” opens when Warwick leaves school and, much to his father’s dismay, decides he wants to join the Metropolitan Police rather than become a pupil in his father’s chambers. Readers follow Warwick’s life and the varied and interesting cast of characters who cross his path, some good, some not so good, as he becomes a detective and eventually transfers to New Scotland Yard.

Archer brings Warwick to life for readers through the detailed background of Warwick’s education, training, and early work on the police force. The narrative is filled with cordial, friendly, family conversations about the present, the future, and the state of the government. The style is sociable, flowing, easy to read, and compelling. Archer develops a lasting relationship between readers and Warwick.

Warwick knows he is fortunate to have a supportive family. At work, he is just ordinary guy doing ordinary things, having lunch, compromising with parents, conversing with friends watching his budget, and looking for bargains. He certainly does not share with colleagues that he attended one of England’s leading public schools, or that he has a degree in Art History from King’s College London, and he positively does not mention anything about his father’s occupation. He walks, takes the tube, and watches James Bond movies. He is both ordinary and extraordinary at the same time. He worries about what to wear and what wine to drink, but can immediately spot a forged art masterpiece.

Readers follow him into the dark world of Art and Antiquities theft when he starts working at New Scotland Yard. This is a world where insurance companies ransom their stolen paintings, and forgers create everything from fake Rembrandts to counterfeit first edition books. Opportunities for criminals seem to be unlimited in an arena where people with too much time and money on their hands need an expensive hobby.

Archer creates a character-driven mystery that encompasses the world of art, the work of police, and the drama of court. It builds in intensity, and keeps readers turning the pages through twists and turns, triumphs and tragedies. I received a review copy of “Nothing Ventured” from Jeffry Archer and St Martin’s Press. Warwick is set to do battle against all manner of criminal elements, and is certain to become an enduring new character for Archer and eager readers.
Many thanks to NetGalley, St. Martin’s Press, and Jeffrey Archer for an ARC in exchange for an honest book review of Nothing Ventured. My thoughts and opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advance copy.

Nothing Ventured is about the origin story of detective William Warwick. He has a background in art history and has just made detective at Scotland Yard. His father had hoped he would follow in his family's footsteps and become a lawyer but William has a passion for law enforcement. This story is basically about an art heist with a ring of thieves involved. Warwick meets a pretty girl, Beth, who works as the curator of the museum. Her father happens to be mixed up in the art theft and is in prison for murder, but Beth claims he is innocent. There is a lot riding on the department to solve this crime so William can’t afford to split his loyalties. As things heat up, there is only a small window of time before the real painting will be lost forever.

This was okay for me. I liked all the characters very much and would love to continue reading about Warwick’s adventures. The supporting characters were equally strong and kept the story interesting. His father and sister, both attorneys, were key players as well as Beth as his love interest and I would hope they would be included in future books. The story was well written with lots of action and with the sequence of events leading to an exciting finish.

Some of the elements I didn’t necessarily jive with. Either I thought they clouded the story or they were out of character. One small one, as an example, is when William sleeps with the rich wife so that he can get his hands on the painting. Everything, up to that point, showed William to be a stand-up guy. He even felt like he had to be honest with his boss that he was getting serious with Beth when he thought he might have a conflict in the investigation. So there were things that just didn’t make any sense. I also don’t know why it was necessary for the story to have him sleep with the woman. A few of those affected my feeling overall about the book. However, I still enjoyed it as a mystery and would look forward to reading the next in the series.
A Matter of Honor is the first book I read written by Jeffrey Archer, and I’ve remained a diehard fan ever since. After the Clifton Chronicles, I’m really looking forward to the William Warwick series. Nothing Ventured doesn’t disappoint and sets up Warwick as a character to watch out for. The villain of the story, Faulkner, is also very interesting. The ending was unexpected and added a nice twist.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the arc.
There are some writers that are master storytellers, and Jeffrey Archer is most certainly in that category.  Nothing Ventured is the first book in a planned series featuring William Warwick.  As readers of Archer’s last series, The Clifton Chronicles, will likely recall, William Warwick is the protagonist of Harry Clifton’s series of novels.

Like most of Archer’s work, Nothing Ventured is a story propelled by characters that are generally upstanding, with the occasional flaw.  We are introduced to William, his family, and associates, with the expectation that they will reappear in future volumes.  It is easy to invest in this likable and interesting assortment of characters, as they contribute to the resolution of the cases William works on as a young detective.  Despite an intriguing tease for the next volume in the series, the novel ends on a high note.

This is the perfect series for readers who like mysteries/thrillers with lots of plot twists but want to avoid blood and gore.  I highly recommend this for anyone looking for an entertaining, enjoyable read. Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the opportunity to read an electronic ARC in exchange for an honest review.  Indeed, it was a pleasure.