Christmas Shopaholic

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Nov 2019

I was able to read Christmas Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella for free from Netgalley, the publisher and the author for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I am a huge Sophie Kinsella fan and of the Shopaholic series.  In this book we get to experience Christmas Shopaholic style since Becky is hosting Christmas for the first time.  I enjoyed this book and it was another great read, it did not dissapoint.  Everyone should read the Shopaholic series.
4.5/ 5 stars

I am a big Sophie Kinsella fan and a huge fan of the Shopaholic series. Christmas Shopaholic is the ninth book in the Shopaholic series. The eighth book was written in 2015. So it has been a few years since I read the last book (I read it when it came out).

I was so excited when I found out that there was going to be a new book in this series. This series is Chick Lit. The narrator is Becky (1st person POV).

Can you read this book without having read the previous books in the series? You would definitely be able to follow the story without having read any of the other books. However, I feel like this book was meant for fans of the series. You would not know any of the backstory or know any of the characters. For me most of this book is about Becky and her relationships. And I don't feel like it would be the same experience to read this book without knowing any of her story.

In Christmas Shopaholic Becky is supposed to host Christmas for the first time. The book is about all of the mishaps that occur during the time leading up to the holiday. And then we get to experience Christmas Shopaholic style.

Becky can be a bit much at times. The author has to balance her crazy buying habits with humor. There is a fine line between finding Becky charming and adorable ... and finding her spending ridiculous.

This book features all of our favorite characters. We get to see Becky's husband Luke, her daughter Minnie, her mom and dad, her sister Jess, her best friend Suze, and her mom's best friend Janice. It was honestly so nice to be able to revisit all of these amazing characters. They made this book so special.

This story takes place around Christmastime. And there is some really funny stuff in this book. In the very beginning I found a few things annoying. But the author knows exactly how to write this character. And the last half was superb. The stuff with her new friend Steph was amazing. The stuff with the billiard's club was beyond funny.

One of my favorite things about this series is how the author seems to tie so much stuff together. Becky will buy something or do something ... and it seems ridiculous at the time. But then somehow it will become relevant later in the book. There were so many things that happened earlier in this book that got brought back into the story in a brilliant way. Kudos to the author for being able to do this seamlessly.

Overall I really enjoyed this book. The last chapters of this book were perfection. And the ending was epic! If you loved the previous books in this series then you will love this newest book!
There are three things that are guaranteed in a Shopaholic novel by Sophie Kinsella:

1.	It will start off with the words – OK. Don’t panic.
2.	Becky Brandon (née Bloomwood) will become embroiled in some kind of financial fiasco.
3.	You will laugh.

This book had all of those things – the iconic opening words (plus the email replies to inquiries Becky has sent out that show you plainly what she wrote in her original email and just how comical they are), Becky spending more than she means to (but over the course of the series she really has learned and improved!) and many laugh out loud moments (it made me cry several times too, and I actually gasped out loud in surprise at one point.)

In this book Becky is somehow roped in to hosting a big family event, and of course chaos and fun and shenanigans ensue.  Becky’s daughter Minnie is getting older and has lots of funny lines.  The book also shows that even though she has shopaholic tendencies, Becky is warm and kind and caring, and wants to help in any way she can.

I don’t want to spoil any of the events of the book, but I will say that one character’s idea to give words as gifts instead of physical objects, which at first seems like it would turn out to be underwhelming, actually really pays off emotionally.

Sometimes, when a series is several books old, it can lose steam, or not be as good as at the beginning, but this book is not like that at all.  I think it almost might be my favourite in the series.  I think that a person could read it even without reading the first 9 in the series.  You can enjoy it on its’ own.  I think I am going to go read it again now!

Note: I received an advance copy of this book through Netgalley.
I never got the hype surrounded Sophie Kinsella or the Shopaholic series until this year.
Yes, I know. Bad me. It's especially bad considering my mom is a huge fan of hers and always had one of the paperbacks laying around the house and raved about her constantly.
It was only earlier this year that I picked it up and fell in love. I really, really fell and fell hard. They were witty and had my laughing out loud hard and actually helped me through some hard times. I'm always grateful for books like that.
It's September and the holidays are right around the corner. Aren't you feeling the Christmas spirit?
This is a fun addition to the Shopaholic family and Sophie Kinsella does not let us down. I have to say this would be hard to get into if you're a new fan of the Shopaholic series but is perfect of the OGs.
So sing a carol and happy holidays!
Thanks very much to Netgalley and the publisher for this copy of my ARC.
Although I don't generally enjoy reading books that are written in the first person, I do love Sophie Kinsella's books.  Especially the Shopaholic Series.
This installment follows Becky Brandon (née Bloomwood) as she hilariously prepares to host her first ever Family Christmas celebration.  Very little goes as she hopes which makes for a very amusing story.
From her easy going husband, to her dysfunctional family, to her ex and his crazy girlfriend with ulterior motives, this story keeps you reading.  At times I laughed so hard, I cried.
Although it would be best to read the earlier books in the Shopaholic Series, it is not necessary.  With enough references to the previous stories in the series, this book stands on it's own as a very enjoyable read,
I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a fun holiday read.
Keep up the good work Sophie!
This is the continuing saga of shopaholic, or those of us who have come to love and cherish her, Becky Brandon nee Bloomwood.  She gets into all kinds of trouble this Christmas season, as is her usual style.  That's why we love her, right?  I do have to warn you, please read the others in this series first, so that you don't have anything ruined for you!

All of the favorite characters are back, her quirky but loving parents and my favorite people, Suz and Tarky.  All Becky wants to do is have the perfect Christmas, but so does everyone else who joins the scene and includes each of their opinions along with it.

Then throw into the mix precious little Minnie, her daughter, the demands of all her school and you have a comic but heartwarming novel on your hands.  At times I did want the book to move faster for me, but the ending truly did wrap it all up for me in one big present, just like Christmas!

Jess does make a wonderful appearance, which is Becky's sister, and I definitely won't tell you more than that! I do want to quote something from the book that I think sums it all up quite nicely.   Becky herself says the following.  "I decide instantly that I never want anything for Christmas again except a word.  Words rock.  Words rule.  Words are the best present ever."

Why does she say this?  The shopaholic queen herself?  Has she given up shopping forever?  Read the book yourself and find out!
I was unable to finish this book and thus will not be posting a full review on my blog.  Unfortunately, the shtick with Becky Bloom is overdone at this point.  For a series to continue with so many books and over so many years, there has to be some progress and some growth of its main character.  This has not happened with Becky Bloom.  This book recycles several problems with Becky and things she has done in the past.  Thanks for your consideration but perhaps this series should not continue.
I love all of Sophie Kinsella's books.  They are like comfort food in book form!  Christmas Shopaholic is just as good as all of its predecessors and then some.  Of course there are the moments where we all want to shout "NO Becky!" And we laugh at her justifications for shopping and buying things...and buying things...and buying things.  This book has all of the hilarious Becky Brandon 'nee Bloomwood moments and I feel like this installment went a bit deeper with Becky's character.  Kinsella shows us just what a good heart Becky has and what a good person she actually is.  I laughed and I even teared up a few times, a first for a Shopaholic book! I flew through this book and recommend it to anyone who wants a feel good, pick me up!
The Shopaholic series continues with yet another book that I couldn’t put down! Although it’s still months away from Christmas, this book brought me so much Christmas joy. Sophie Kinsella did a fantastic job of capturing the warmth and coziness that comes in December. This book had a ton of hilariously fun moments (especially anything with billiards), and I always love seeing Becky, Luke, and Minnie being happy together. There were many struggles that Becky went through for her perfect Christmas, but it all led to an ending that was one of the best endings I’ve read for romance this year, even beating out romance standalones I’ve read. It was so sweet, and I can’t believe I never expected it!

Christmas Shopaholic is a book that’s sure to get you into the Christmas mood as much as Becky does with her family and friends!
This is my first shopaholic book.  I loved it.    The characters are wild and fun. Becky.s adventures are funny and interesting.  Becky is everything Christmas.  I loved the ending.   Great read. Now to go read the previous shopaholic books.
Thank goodness the real Becky Is back. After years of wishing for her return, I was happy to have a story worthy of her.  Yes she has grown up a bit — but not that much. I truly enjoyed this crazy story and hope there will be many more Shopaholic stories in the future. Thumbs way up.
The Shopaholic series has always been one of my favorites, and Christmas Shopaholic did not disappoint! This was a quick and fun read that is perfect for the holidays!

Title: Christmas Shopaholic

Author: Sophie Kinsella

Pages: N/A

Format: eBook

Published: will be published October 15, 2019

Summary: Becky Brandon (nee Bloomwood) adores Christmas. It’s always the same – Mum and Dad hosting, carols playing, Mum pretending she made the Christmas pudding, and the next-door neighbors coming round for sherry in their terrible festive jumpers.

And now it’s even easier with online bargain-shopping sites – if you spend enough you even get free delivery. Sorted!

But this year looks set to be different. Unable to resist the draw of craft beer and smashed avocado, Becky’s parents are moving to ultra-trendy Shoreditch and have asked Becky if she’ll host Christmas this year. What could possibly go wrong?

With sister Jess demanding a vegan turkey, husband Luke determined that he just wants aftershave again, and little Minnie insisting on a very specific picnic hamper – surely Becky can manage all this, as well as the surprise appearance of an old boyfriend and his pushy new girlfriend, whose motives are far from clear . . .

Will chaos ensue, or will Becky manage to bring comfort and joy to Christmas? (from website fantasticfiction.com)

Rating: 5/5 stars

Review: I read this book via eBook from Netgalley.

As all of the Shopaholic books are this one was fantastic. I found myself wanting to laugh out loud at points, especially with Becky’s emails to stores and all the chats with her family and friends. However, I had to control it because I read this book on my lunch breaks at my desk.

The writing was clear and concise and easy to understand. This book is #9 in the series and I feel that you should read the previous 8 because there are some things that happen in the previous books that are mentioned in this one.

I have to say I loved the ending of this book. I am definitely looking forward to more Shopaholic books ( I really hope that Sophie writes more).

This is a wonderful book to read around the holidays but it is also a wonderful book to read any other time of the year as well.

I highly recommend this book to any one that loves a good, funny read or any one that wants a lighthearted holiday read.

Happy Reading!
Christmas Shopaholic is the most current installment in the Shopaholic series, featuring the main character, Becky Brandon, nee Bloomwood.  In this story, we find Becky in charge of planning the Christmas festivities for her entire family as well as several additional family friends.  Many mishaps ensue as is expected from this series.
Becky hasn't changed much over the course of this series, and we find her to be quite true to herself here as well; flighty, quick to jump to conclusions, and a master at believing all will be well if she just does enough shopping.

I'm conflicted about this particular story.  It was at times laugh-out-loud funny but at other times it was so over-the-top unbelievable, I could hardly stand it.  If you're looking for a quick holiday read that is fairly entertaining and requires very little of you as a reader, this might be a good fit.  If you want something more substantial, you might want to look elsewhere.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this Advance Readers Copy .
Wonderful romance from Sophie Kinsella!! I love her witty dialogue and clever plot twists.  In the Shopaholic series, this can be read as a stand alone because she gives you background and laughs!  I enjoyed the holiday theme  and the laughter!!
I was given a free copy by #Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.  Shopaholic books are always fun!  Becky is in charge of Christmas this year, and shops abundantly for it!  But everyone wants input into what makes a perfect Christmas, and soon she's overwhelmed.  Follow her escapades to an unusual but enjoyable Christmas holiday for her family and friends.
Before there was 'Becky with the good hair', there was Becky Bloomwood Brandon with a credit card. This is a delightful continuation in the life of Becky and Luke. The whole cast of characters are weaved through out this story. You don't have to read the series in order, but I recommend it. This is a great heartwarming story ready for the holidays!
I was so excited to read Christmas Shopaholic because I consider Becky Brandon née Bloomwood a good friend. I was wonderful to read about Becky’s fun and surprising antics again. In this novel Becky is in charge of hosting Christmas for her friends and family and as usual in Becky’s world things go a tiny bit wrong. But don’t  panic, Becky can handle it. I really enjoyed Christmas Shopaholic and am so happy Sophie Kinsella took us back to Becky’s familiar and exciting world.
I'm a big fan of Sophie Kinsella's book, so I was thrilled to read an ARC of her newest book and delighted that it was next in the Shopaholic series.  All the beloved characters are back.  Becky Brandon (nee Bloomwood), her husband Luke, and toddler Minnie have left London for a quieter life in Letherby -  closer to Mum and Dad, and best friends Suze and Tarkie Cleath-Stuart and their three children.  Becky works for Suze at the Letherby gift shop, in sales and designing imaginative displays.  Their children attend the same school so they share babysitting, PTO and carpooling as well as a little gossip here and there, especially when Becky's rockstar former boyfriend shows up out of the blue, renting a cottage on the estate..  Becky's sister Jess and her husband Tom are coming for Christmas from Chile where they are working and trying to adopt a child.  Becky's folks loaned Jess their home for the visit and rented an apartment in Shorediitch, a hip part of London.   So Becky agrees to host Christmas for the ENTIRE FAMILY including Tom's parents, who are Becky's parents  best friends.  And this is all in the first few chapters!

Christmas Shopaholic is full of shopping, fun and family, with lots and lots of Christmas cheer..  Becky gets in to and out of scrapes including breaking a centuries long tradition at a men's billiards club.  She has to deal with the ex-boyfriend, her parents' introduction into hipster life, and helps a desperate single mother.  She tries to put on a perfect Christmas and please everyone, all while shopping for the Christmas dinner, the must-have Christmas ornament, and the perfect presents for her family.

While staying true to the Shopaholic canon, Kinsella has created a fresh, new Christmas classic.   Readers can enjoy the book without having read the others in the series, but why deny yourself the pleasure!!  Perfect for putting you in the holiday mood!
Sophie Kinsella did not disappoint in the lastest installment of the Shopaholic series.  Becky's love of shopping has moved online and with Christmas right around the corner, she once again gets herself in some precarious situations that often leave me cringing and laughing at the same time.  I hope this series continues on as it is my favorite!