Cover Image: Flowers for the Dead

Flowers for the Dead

Thank you to Netgalley, Harper Impulse and Killer Reads and C.K, Williams for this e-copy in return for my honest review.  Dark and creepy book with well developed characters and plot.  Drawn in from the start. Really enjoyed this one. Would definitely recommend.
Almost twenty years ago Lin Wilson was attacked in her home, her attacker has never been caught. Forever traumatized about what happened, she now hopes to find some answers.  This was so good! Dark,disturbing and so compelling! Great writing and intense characters
I found this one to be a bit creepy would be a perfect Halloween read. I really enjoyed how fast paced it was and got hooked early on in the novel.
Nineteen years ago, Linn Wilson was attacked in her own home. Her attacker was never found and Linn suffered for years never getting any closure. Every time the doorbell rang it brought her back to that night leaving her with panic attacks and crippling anxiety. Nothing could get through to her, not even her childhood friend and husband, Oliver. Linn needs to find out what happened all of those years ago and the only way to find out the truth was to move back into her old childhood home. But, now that she is back will she ever be able to find out the truth or is Linn putting herself in danger once again.

This story had a really good premise and had a lot of parts that scared me especially when it came to the doorbell ringing. Every time I read “ding ding ding,” I wanted to jump out of my seat. Needless to say, I probably should not have read this story at night. Every time I passed a window in my house I imagined someone staring through my window. I actually had to put this book down and read it in the light of day. Much safer and less scarier for me!

Although I thought the story line was good I found it to be a bit disjointed for me and I never really connected with any of the characters. Sure, I felt bad for Linn especially with what she had gone through, but I also found her pretty courageous for moving into her childhood home all alone in the middle of practically nowhere. But, I still wouldn’t say I necessarily liked her. Then, there is Graham, the Detective Inspector, along with her other childhood friends back in the town. I think we really just scratched the surface with all of the characters.

I do have to say though the suspense was eating me up inside and while I had my own ideas of who was behind it all (once again, I was wrong!), the way it all tied together was pretty shocking. So the story definitely gets an A+ on the suspense/thriller factor.

All in all, Flowers for the Dead was an okay read for me. It wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t for me.
Nineteen years ago 17 year old Linn Wilson opened the door of her home and was attacked and left traumatised.
Linn decides to go back to her childhood home to try to find out what happened to her.
The villagers won’t tell her the truth what are they hiding
Thanks NetGalley
Nineteen years ago Linn, was 17 and living in the Yorkshire Dales. After a party, she goes home alone, her parents are away and her doorbell dings. Opening the door will change her life. She is brutally raped and doesn't remember who did it when she regains consciousness. She left home and moved to London to make a life with her partner Oliver. Now, aged 36, she decides that she needs to return and finally solve the puzzle. At the time, the police, led by DI Graham Walker, conclude that it was a stranger and the case is closed. But as Linn talks to her friends, Anna and Teo, Jay and Miss Luca, she starts to suspect that they are lying to her. Something is at the edge of her mind, fuzzy, but crucial. The truth is about to hit home and when she discovers the identity of her attacker, it is a twist that I for one, did not predict. Edgy and intelligent, this is a brilliant new thriller.
This one was a bit of a slow burn for me. It took awhile to find out what really happened. The chapters where told from different points of view which I do enjoy. I like the repetition of the doorbells throughout the book, it made it dark and twisty.
🌿Definite mind games thriller:  rambles a bit😒

3.5-4🌟stars
I found the actual storyline a good one, tension building and fairly creepy,  but the execution could have been a lot better.  Told from multiple points of view, you can tell, as the story unfolds, that Linn, the main chaacter, is not the only person involved with psychological problems.  The rampant sexism related to the violent crime committed against her when she was seventeen, and then the efforts to rationalize it away and protect the perpetrator - very disturbing but all too unfortunately believable.  I can't really say I liked any of the characters, including Linn, but their flaws and efforts at rationalizing and self preservation made them oddly compelling, especially husband Oliver and Graham.

I found myself halting and distracted numerous times as a narrator's thoughts scattered and rambled.  I would have enjoyed the book more had the pace been a bit faster with less digressing reminiscence and detail.  The ending is a real kicker - strange though apparently totally cathartic for Linn!

Thanks to publisher One More Chapter and NetGalley for providing a complimentary advance copy of the book;  this is my voluntary and honest review.
A bit of a strange story for me not my usual type of story but did keep me reading to see how it turned out.  It is about a woman called Linn Wilson who had been attacked when she was 19. He was never found. later in life she decides to find closure and find who it was but she opens a can of worms instead and things aren't what she expected.
Flowers for the Dead by C.K. Williams is an electrifying read, and a very good example of a clever psychological thriller.

Linn Wilson, then 17, was attacked in her home while waiting for her friends to arrive. But when she opened the front door, it wasn't her mates standing on the doorstep, it was her assailant. The culprit was never determined, but now, having returned to her hometown in Yorkshire after 19 years, Linn is intent on establishing her attacker's identity.

Although this was a slow burn novel where the plot tiptoed along rather than leapt forward, I was still very much invested in the story. Told in the past and present, 19 years ago and now, old memories are brought to the fore and and new questions are posed, as Linn tries to find some form of closure. With its fair share of lies, harboured secrets, duplicity and deceit, Flowers for the Dead certainly held my attention. The author's characterisation was good, with the prerequisite number of loathsome individuals as befits a good thriller. All in all, an exhilarating and gripping read that I confidently recommend.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel at my request, from One More Chapter via NetGalley, and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
This was incredibly creepy. Linn Wilson was brutally raped 19 years ago in her home in Yorkshire. Since then she has built up a life of sorts in London with husband Oliver, who was her boyfriend at the time of the rape. She is a shadow of her younger self, and put her life's ambitions on hold to live in the protection of Oliver. A package received from former family friends and neighbours takes her back to her younger days and that fateful night. Linn realises this attack was not carried out by a stranger and she returns to her childhood home to find the truth. Although I worked out almost straight away who the attacker was, the writing style kept me questioning my assumptions, and rethinking. By the end although I knew she couldn't possibly have resumed her former life I was not prepared for the final outcome. Strangely written, much of it in interview form, I felt this was effective in building the tension. #netgalley #flowersforthedead
At seventeen, Linn is viciously raped within her own isolated home. Nineteen years later, Linn is finally seeking her rapist by moving back to that, now vacant, house. Initially, her attacker was thought to be a stranger. However, Linn’s memory of that night is slowly returning. Thanks to a special doorbell ring, she knows her rapist must have been a close friend or neighbor. So begins the new thriller, Flowers for the Dead.

The sense of dread is palpable throughout the shivery tale. Linn is an emotionally fragile character taking on a task well beyond her skill set. This is her first time really out in the world since the incident. Her husband, Oliver, has always taken care of everything. But she has to do this task alone.

The swiftly changing point-of-views makes for a twisty and slightly off-balance tale. However, it is worth whatever confusion you may have when you get to the slam-bam and exciting conclusion. Wow, I loved the perfect ending where all the threads come together into a beautifully woven plot. 4 stars for Flowers for the Dead!

Thanks to One More Chapter, Harper Impulse, Killer Reads and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for my honest review.
I always feel that the psychological thrillers that most get under a readers skin are those that have a premise that could happen to anyone, and that is certainly what CK Williams’s debut Flowers for the Dead does with considerable aplomb. It's been almost two decades since Caroline Wilson, known as Linn, was brutally attacked in her own home. She had been awaiting some friends calling around so when the doorbell rung she was primed to welcome them in with open arms. Unfortunately, what greeted her was something far more horrific. Now, she returns to the small Yorkshire town where she spent her formative years to try to get to the bottom of who so cruelly affected her life in what seems a lifetime ago.

This is very much a slow burn novel where the plot creeps rather than surges forward yet manages to keep your attention throughout. Living in a rural town myself I felt the author conveyed superbly the nosiness and gossip-mongering often rife in places where everyone knows everyone. This creates an intense, claustrophobic atmosphere as you can sense that Linn is closing in on the truth of her rape. It's dark, chilling and deals sensitively with some important issues but is Linn really strong enough to handle the shocking truth? A compelling read full of secrets, lies, deceit and duplicity and an interesting and totally unpredictable conclusion. Many thanks to One More Chapter for an ARC.
This is a bit of a slow burner as it takes a while to find out what really happened.
Nineteen years ago Lin was attacked at home. She was brutally raped one night when her parents were out and her attacker was never found.
All these years later she wants answers so she goes back home to find her attacker.
She is sure that someone must know something so starts to ask questions of those in the village.
The chapters are told from alternating points of view which made it a bit slow for me, however I did enjoy the book.
Thank you to Harper Impulse and Killer Reads and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
Nineteen years ago Lin Wilson was attacked in her home. Her attacker had never been found. Years later she decides to get closure and tries to find out whom her attacker was. She is  ow married to Oliver. She is still traumatised by the event that took place that night and relies on Oliver for everything.

Lin had to return to her hometown to try and discover who had attacked her. I did guess correctly early on who he was but that doesn't spoil a read for me. It's quite a dark and chilling read in places. Not all the characters are likeable. I didn't like how the book ended but apart from that, it's an enjoyable read.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Harper Impulse and Killer Reads and the author C.K. Williams for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This has got to be one of the worst books I've ever read. The writing was nonsensical, each chapter was focused on a different character that we were told very little about, and had more descriptive points about locations instead of pertaining to the plot. Everyone has there own opinion and I'm sure there will be some who will like this book so do not just take my word as gospel. 📖
Linn, Anna, Jay, and Teo played a doorbell ringing game they thought was fun until it wasn't.  Linn answered the door in the middle of the night and was brutally raped; her rapist was never identified.  You, however, might figure out who it is and then wait to see if you are correct.  Told from alternating view points, this moves the story ahead 19 years, when Linn returns home.  Williams has a nice way with building suspense and I liked the reptition of the doorbells throughout the story,  It's dark and twisty.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ArC.
When Linn was 17 she was brutally attacked when her parents were out. Linn was drunk and couldn't remember exactly what happened. No one was ever caught and the official line from the police  was that it was a random attack by a stranger.
19 years later Linn is living in London with Oliver her husband. She receives a parcel from her old neighbors which brings back old memories. Waiting until Oliver is away at a conference Linn returns to her Yorkshire home, abandoned since her parents died a year ago, to try to piece together what really happened the night she was attacked. Linn needs answers but is going back to the small village she grew up in a good idea or will she find out more than she wanted to.
I struggled with how this was written and I couldn't get a true sense of where it was set.
I have shivers down my spine. A really good thriller which had me on the edge of my seat. I sat up through the night reading this. I had guessed the ending but that did not take anything away from the build up of suspense and the compelling need to keep reading. There are so many lies and betrayals. I will remember this book for a long time.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
It was really good book! I enjoyed it very much...

I believe that some of them are lying and didn’t know what they doing to Caroline aka Linn...hard to know the truth will already comes out...

Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy...