Cover Image: Mixed Feelings

Mixed Feelings

I absolutely adore the writing style of Avan. The poems in the book are very insightful and will shake you. This is a definite read. I believe Avan is voice of our generation today fighting against racism

We need this book so badly today.
This was a wonderful collection of poems about being mixed raced. I definitely relate to some of their experiences.
I was provided an electronic ARC by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

This beautiful collection explores themes of race, culture, religion, gender, identity and family. It's a mix of gorgeous illustrations and personal stories and poems that touch on these subjects elegantly, but also with the rawness they need. Throughout the book you see how crucial it is to stop labeling people and being utterly insensitive to one's cultural background. What was interesting, yet hard to read was the internal struggle of betraying your identity by not completely accepting or knowing your families' racial and cultural background.

My final thoughts are that this book is thought provoking and addresses subjects that should be discussed by all. It felt very honest, raw and full of emotions as it should. I recommend it to anyone, truly!
It was a wonderful book about multiculturalism, relationships, family and bonds all from the perspective of Avan. The illustrations are so aesthetic and they dialogue with the prose so beautifully. I really liked read this book and I'm forever thankful to have the opportunity to read it.
This was a beautiful collection of poems and stories that I could fully relate to. I come from a mixed-race background with a white-passing mom. Questions about my race and where I fit in have been a constant in my life for as long as I can remember.

Mixed Feelings by Avan Jogia made me feel seen but also understood. Something this relatable and beautiful needs to happen more. I can't tell you the number of times I read a book that made me feel out of place. As if my existence was less than desired to most people purely because I couldn't fit in anywhere or in a lot of places. I still don't fit in but I know who I am.

This collection is much like discovering who you are. Things make sense and you can't go back to where you were before. I've been bullied, insulted, hated, loved, disrespected and appreciated all for the wrong reasons. People have tried to define me but there is no one definition to anyone, especially multiracial people. There is interfamilial strife along with the way the world perceives you. You rarely get the chance to decide for yourself until you are lost and have to unknot the feelings deep inside to discover yourself.

The illustrations are colorful, emotional and beautifully in sync with the tone of the book. The book focuses on being mixed race and the intersectionality of religion, gender, and family along with identity.
i loved this book! an amazing debut by a wonderful canadian author. i was intrigued because i knew Avan Jogia from TV and had no idea he had so many feelings. this book is a very good idea of how he feels and how it feels to be biracial in this day and age.
This was absolutely beautiful and unexpected. It was touching,and emotional and it made me angry because I could feel how so many of those people feel. Avan used his words and pictures to add more depth and feeling to it all. We are more than our color and our race, and in terrible times like now, Avan makes an impact. I really hope this does well and he puts out more work, he deserves to be recognized.
Thank you NetGalley and Publishers for granting me early access to "Mixed Feelings".

I'm currently in the middle of a major move, but I  will definitely come back at a later time and write out a full review and rating. Thank you so much!
This was an exceptional collection of biographies, poetry, and nonfiction that left me agog from the first page until the last. I think that Avan has a gift for content collecting and I hope he publishes another text soon.
Thank you to NetGalley for an advanced copy.

I have always liked Avan Jogia, but admittedly I was a little worried that this book would not live up to the hype or would be a piece of work so obviously done with the intent of having a famous person's name stamped on it.

Fortunately, Mixed Feelings is a beautiful and interesting read with poignant pieces and lovely art. So many tough topics are tackled in the pieces, particularly the struggle of being mixed race and understanding/learning one's identity. I believe this is an important read for anyone looking for someone who can relate or put their feelings into words. As someone who could not personally relate, I still found the collection helpful and thought provoking. I truly appreciate the heart that was poured into Mixed Feelings and I highly recommend it for young adults and adults alike.
I think a better title of this book is Dear Diary. The author allows the reader into an intimate part of his life reserved for close friends and family. This is an expression of bottled up frustration that spoken word could not fully express. The passion of his history, the vibrancy of the illustrations, and the raw emotion in the stories only bring the authors point of view more validity. In reviewing this work, I had to see past my own biases be they about my understanding of those mixed race and the author in general Though in the end after reading, I am left where I began with Mixed Feelings. I would highly recommend if the reader is a fan of the author. I would also recommend if they have no idea what it is like being some one of mixed race.  The book is very eye opening.
The world we live in today is more divided than it has ever been before. In "Mixed Feelings," Avan Jogia wants readers to get a "societal overhead feeling," as he calls it of the earth. Like if you zoomed out as far as the moon and looked at space. To see the earth from there and to realize how connected we all really are from the "space" point of view.

As astronauts from the Apollo missions all have recounted many times, when they looked out of the command capsule at the earth almost 240,000 miles away, they could see how fragile the earth, how from up here, we are all humans and we are very much alike. That perspective is what Mr. Jogia is trying to present in her latest collection of poetry and stories, as he tries to explore the mixed up topics of race, gender, sexuality, religion and politics. It is a noble task he takes on in his book.

The book is a collection of personal stories of his family and those around him dealing with the struggles of finding their place in society that can be so hateful and so different and so afraid. He also takes stories from others who don't "fit" the stereotype and writes poetry to speak about "humaness" in a way that makes you stop and think and examine your own misconceptions and prejudices. This was a very thought-provoking book that caused me to see the world through new eyes. It helps me "see" that I need to withhold all judgments before I really get to know a person. It causes me to be much more lavish with empathy than to jump to conclusions about someone based on stereotypes or what the label the "culture" would stamp on a person.

We need to learn to replace hate with love and judgment with acceptance. We need to learn to see people as people, not as some label. We all breathe air. We all bleed red. We all want to be loved. We are all human.

I received this eBook free of charge from Andrews McMeel Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. I did not receive any fiscal compensation from either company for this review and the opinions expressed herein are entirely my own.
Not gonna lie, I only got this from Netgalley because I used to love Victorious so much (and pretend to fancy Avan Jogia when really I fancied Liz Gillies). But I was pleasantly surprised by this. It was powerful and I loved the use of colour and illustrations - it set it apart from other collections like this. I think Avan Jogia did a good job with discussing important topics such as race and gender and I recommend checking this out.
Very powerful collection. Made all the more important by the fact that it doesn't all come from Avan himself, but instead from so many people. So many voices telling their own stories, their own experience of being mixed-race. And all of them are different, but also the same as their core.

I wish more people read this and we could actually have a conversation, and start bettering ourselves when it comes to how we interact with race (especially us, white people).

I also love the use of color and pictures in this collection, it adds so much flavour!
Beautiful and full of emotion, "Mixed Feelings" is a collection that tackles race, culture, gender, religion, and what it means to exist outside of the rules society has created around identity. The illustrations and writing were gorgeous. Definitely a great collection, and I can see it being very comforting to people struggling with similar feelings and situations.
Feeling of being mixed race, told through poetry , stories and pictures make this a beautiful, vivid book. The illustrations were lovely, the words were lovely, the stories were meaningful. Easy to read, easy on the eyes, with a lot to make me think.
This was a beautiful collection of poetry that I found very relatable coming from a mixed race background! I always found their was an internal war going on with in myself that stemmed from a deep betrayed of my country but also the present day society. I can relate to the struggle of identifying with one side of myself more than the other and the difficult repercussions that comes with. The collection of poetry is very empowering and thought provoking. The poems all shed like on the divide and clear disconnect but at times a unified space. The entire reason for this collection and art was beautiful written and an important topic that needs to be discussed,
This poetry collection was a sheer pleasure to read. The collection is vibrant and colourful. Each page has bright, colourful borders and backgrounds and in many pages also contains photographs. This added to my enjoyment of reading the whole thing. The collection tackles such difficult topics as racism, mixed race marriages and growing up as a mixed race child and living in a world obsessed by racial identity. The poems really moved me and the artwork was beautiful at times. An impressive collection.
This was so invigorating to read as an adult having come to regard my mixedness pretty thoroughly but would have been even more world-shaking had I read it as a younger person. It suits this age best because of it's experimental style.
As a person of mixed race myself, "Mixed Feelings" really resonated with me. The tug of war of identifying as one or the other is both empowering and compromising. Pride in both and yet fearful to be too much of either. The images and language in these pages brings to light a lot of those feelings. It also sheds light on other factors that continue to promote divisiveness and at times unity. While poetry might not be everyone's cup of tea, the subject matter is important.