The Jane Austen Society

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 May 2020

Firstly, chapter 11 has a continuity problem. The woman, Adeline is speaking to Dr. Gray. He gives her a gift and then leaves. In the very next paragraph, she is speaking to Dr. Gray and Adam. It is a sweet little story. If I had to rate it on a five star scale, I would give it 3 stars. My criticism is that it gets bogged down a bit with numbers - numbers of books, money amounts - and logistics of sales, meetings, etc. I liked the characters. I was a bit disappointed in the ending for Adam. Was he gay? I wanted him to be happy.
📖 BOOK REVIEW ⁣⁣
Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for this amazing ARC! ⁣⁣
The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner⁣⁣
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5⁣⁣
Pub date: May 26, 2020⁣⁣
Good with: A nice cuppa ☕️⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Brief synopsis: Just after the Second World War, in the small English village of Chawton, an unusual but like-minded group of people band together to attempt something remarkable.⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
One hundred and fifty years ago, Chawton was the final home of Jane Austen, one of England's finest novelists. Now it's home to a few distant relatives and their diminishing estate. With the last bit of Austen's legacy threatened, a group of disparate individuals come together to preserve both Jane Austen's home and her legacy. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
Review: This book was like a nice, warm blanket on a rainy day—funny, romantic, dramatic—everything you would want in a historical fiction novel! ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
I love Jane Austen, so I cheered on the establishment of a society that celebrates her books. I loved the shifting point of views and how all of the characters intersect in this book. I love how books bring people together—people from all walks of life. ❤️⁣⁣
⁣⁣
The village of Chawton has so much charm, and so does its people! I wanted to jump into the book and be a part of the society myself! ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
I also loved the Austen-esque themes that the author brought to her book. The humor, the romance—it reminded me of Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility 😍! It was lovely that she included her own Austen-like twist. Such a great book—those who love Austen should definitely scoop this one up! 🤓📚✨⁣
⁣
Question: If you could make a society for any author, who would you choose and why?
After reading the premise of this book I really wanted to love it but sadly I didn’t. For me there were unnecessary descriptions of people and places which slowed the flow of the story. The author is clearly a fan of Austen and I sometimes felt like she was using the novel as a way of showing just how knowledgeable she was. I found it hard to believe that in every day life people would start comparing what they were doing to a passage in a book. I also think that better research of England after the war wouldn’t have gone amiss. At one point a character is described making tea with a tea bag. It is 1945/46 and teabags weren’t introduced into England until 1953. Also, I doubt that an English woman would say that they had “quit” their job and they would go to the pictures not the movies.
For me, the second part of the book was better than the first.
I’m ready to join the Jane Austen society!  Natalie Jenner’s debut novel, was extremely entertaining. I’ve already pre-ordered the book for when it’s released so that I can add it to my collection.

I love the way the characters in the become so invested in the lives of Jane Austen’s characters, as if they were people, something we sadly lose far too often once we’re done with school.

Set in the small town of Chawton, Hampshire, where Jane wrote her last 3 books, the town has changed very little since she lived there.

It’s  right after WW2 and you feel how their losses in the wars have effected everyone in the town to some degree.
The society is formed by eight very different people, brought together by their love of Austen and her books.  It is devoted to the preservation of her memory and their work to create a museum to honor her and her works.

In her novel, Natalie Jenner brilliantly mirrors her characters with that of Jane Austen’s.  I was looking forward to reading this book based on its description, what I found was even more than I hoped.  I will be thinking about the characters and this book for a long time and I hope to visit Chawton on my next visit to the UK.

Thank you to St Martin’s Press and NetGallery for providing this copy.
I loved this! The author obviously really cared about her characters, and so, as a reader, I did too. I felt I was living the story along with them, and all the Jane Austen references were a lovely bonus. It was entertaining and moving. My favourite characters were Dr Grey, Mimi and Frances.

I really want to give it five stars, but there is just one problem - the 'world' of a British village in the 1940s didn't ring true. It was as if a group of modern Americans (very engaging modern Americans!) had been plonked down in that setting. They talk about someone having 'passed' rather than 'died'. (Just after the war in Britain, there would have been no such preciousness about death!) They wear vests rather than waistcoats and 'go see a movie' rather than going to see a film, and say things like 'Because why?' and 'It's like, come on now...'. The village itself also seemed curiously untouched by the war, other than the odd mention of rationing and people having been killed (or 'passed'!).

This was such a shame, as it definitely had the potential for five stars, if only the author had done some research into how people thought, behaved and spoke at that time in that sort of place.

Another tiny niggle - the text of the letter was never revealed. I kept waiting, thinking that the suspense was being heaped up nicely, but then... nothing.

That said, it was a wonderful read and I enjoyed it very much! The ending was very satisfying, although I was sorry to say goodbye to the characters.
I am a very big fan of Ms. Jane Austen.
I enjoy the originals, the retellings [own link], the “inspired by,” all of them.
I was thrilled to receive an ARC of this book from NetGalley.
I found myself very frustrated with this book. Overall, it is a good book, don’t get me wrong.
Somewhat reminiscent of Ms. Austen’s works themselves, this book starts with a quick-paced scene to create much interest.
Following that, though was several chapters of introductions of characters and events and I repeatedly found myself thinking, “Why is this important? Where does this fit in? Why do I care?”
We know there is going to be a Society formed – the description tells us so, not to mention the title tells us so. We can safely assume the individual characters we are meeting are going to be instrumental in this society.
But, it took nearly 100 pages to get them all together. That is a lot of character development for reaching a major plot point provided before you even start the book. #frustrating
I will say, this is a good book, but I don’t know if the lead up in the first half of the book is worth it.

Stars: 3.5
Would I recommend? Yes
Loved this book. A story about how people can come together to save something they love and find out it makes them a family. It’s hard to describe this book. You just have to read it!
I really enjoyed Natalie Jenner's novel. The little fictional world she created was cozy, charming, and romantic -- inspired by Austen by not derivative of her work. I found myself captivated by the characters Jenner created. Definitely recommended!
Now this is something to truly to keep on your shelf. Such a truly heartfelt novel. I will give a review later on once released. Just know, purchase this if you are a Jane Austen fan!
I like Jane Austen books, I have read several of her books: Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and sensibility…
In her book Natalie Jenner gather a country doctor, a widow, a young maid, a bachelor farmer, a solicitor, a movie star and an auctioneer in the little village of Chawton who have one thing in commun: they love Jane Austen books. They all have their own struggles and reading Jane Austen help them to deal with their pain. They path will cross through different circumstances to create the Jane Austen society and preserve her work and the place where she lived.

This was an interesting story, the characters had different backgrounds but two point in commun their predicaments and their love for Jane Austen, creating that society allowed them to share what they were going through and create a friendship with each other, or deeper relationship for some of them. It was like an open door for healing and new beggining for them.
The Jane Austen Society is a delightful novel, detailing the lives and disappointments of a diverse group of Austen enthusiasts who set up a society to preserve her cultural heritage. In doing so they forge new and rekindle old romances. Their stories are engaging and wrapped in allusions to Austen’s novels. This is a light but deeply satisfying read that I very much enjoyed.
This book is a sweet and charming slice of post-war British life.  The plot details the (fictionalized) formation of the Jane Austen society and their attempts to obtain and protect Austen-related properties and memorabilia.
The members go through heartaches and troubles, and ultimately find romance, friendship and success. Rewarding, but a bit predictable. Definitely recommended for fans of Austen and British historical fiction.
Jane Austen Society
A wonderfully refreshing read about the establishment of the Jane Austen Society in a small town Chawton in England.
A band of unlikely Jane Austen readers decide to form a society on her 150th anniversary as a way of keeping her writing alive  and allowing lovers of her books to see where she lived and wrote.
Following WWII the lives of all the Chawton villagers has changed dramatically. There has been many lives lost and families broken but to the members of the society reading Jane Austen heals those wounds.
This is a really lovely read. I loved the characters; they are all so different and they have a story to tell whether it be grief, love or just living.
Thank you to Netgalley and St Martins Press for the copy to read and review. Highly recommend it.
I love Jane Austen.  When I read her books it is like I am getting to spend time with an old friend and we are catching up.  This book is no different.  Some of Jane Austen's relatives are trying to diminish her legacy.  To save her home and her place in history a group of people that are as different as night and day band together to save Jane Austen.
What a fun book. People coming together to have a place to share Jane Austin’s history. I loved it.
Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for an ARC.
Thanks to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for this eARC!

Do you participate in the Jane Austen extended universe? I dip in and out - I've read some books from most of the big genres: Jane Austen rewrites/sequels/continuations, books wherein Jane Austen is a character, and books where Jane Austen's books bring people together/heal damaged hearts. This title falls firmly into that last category, and I think most readers know if this kind of book is for them.

This is a complete reimagining of the push to create the (real life) Jane Austen museum and to collect Jane Austen artifacts in Chawton. In her author note, Natalie Jenner makes it clear that these are purely fictional characters. This book brings together a Hollywood actress, the local doctor, a solicitor, a farmer, a very precocious housemaid, a Sotheby's employee, and a member of the Knight family (the family descended from Jane Austen's brother), people who are all deeply kind and nice, but damaged, mostly by grief. They all love Jane Austen the MOST, of course, and band together to celebrate her legacy through the powers of Roberts Rules of Order! The society discusses the books a lot , so some pages read like a transcribed book club, which might annoy some readers, The characters are also unfailingly good and kind and hew very strongly to their professional oaths (and talk about how they have to hew very strongly to their professional oaths) - I liked them, but this occasionally meant that the characters didn't feel as multidimensional as they could have.

Clearly, I have quibbles, but this was actually a pretty enjoyable entry into the Jane Austen heals people genre and a nice picture of English village life after the war. If you're into this part of the Jane Austen extended universe, I think you'll like this one.
If you're an Austen fan (and why wouldn't you be?) you will love this book.  A set of diverse and sympathetic characters rally together to maintain Austen's legacy in her hometown of Chawton.
A surprisingly delightful story of a small group of villagers who want to preserve any memorabilia concerning Jane Austin and form the Jane Austin society.  Each member of the group has their own hardships and joys in their lives, but it matters to them that they preserve their love for Jane Austin.  Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for the opportunity to read an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Netgalley provided me with an advance copy of this book  in exchange for my review.

I usually love Jane Austen stories, but I could not get in to this one. The beginning felt too descriptive for me, and I am more of a character and plot reader. I tend to skim if a writer tells me too much like what kind o shirt, what direction hair is parted, etc. This book didn't go that far I think, but something just didn't grab me at the beginning. I am liking to try it again to see if my attention is better.
Loved this book! I was a little confused with the back and forth, until the storylines began weaving together, but that could have just been me and my attention span. I adored the story and the familiarity of the Austen world, reading about characters that have a common interest of mine!