Cover Image: Would Like to Meet

Would Like to Meet

An adorable read I loved this one.  All the reenacted romcoms were so fun to read.  Totally loved Rachels Winters writing and the romance was sweet and fun to watch develop.  Will definitely read Rachel's future reads.
This was a fun romcom but landed average for me in comparison to some of the other romcoms I have read. When I first went into the book, I though the romance would be between Evie and Ezra--but I am so glad it was a slowburn romance between Evie and Ben instead! The romance was really sweet, but it was a little slow of a slowburn at times. Ben was super guarded and I think we could've seen him open up a little more earlier. I loved Ben's daughter, Anette. She was one of my favorite parts of this novel. I also found Evie to be super relatable and I could envision myself in her shoes.

Rachel Winters is an author I do want to read more from and I think she does a great job fleshing out her characters and making them unique.

3.5 star rating-rounded up to a 4.
This was such a cute book! I really liked all the hilarious meet-cutes that Evie set up. Annette was the sweetest little girl and loved to hate both Ezra and Monty. The romance was a suuuuper slow burn, but I enjoyed the build up. This was a fun romcom for a newbie like me.
If you love romcom movies, you’re going to enjoy this story. Evie is an assistant at a film agency that represents writers. In order to save her job and the agency, she must get their star client, Ezra, to write a romcom he’s obligated to deliver. Ezra and Evie make a deal and she promises to prove that romcom meet-cutes really work by trying out all the famous meet-cutes in the classic romcom movies we love until she falls in love. Of course, the results are hilarious and humiliating. Evie has a great group of friends who are wonderful side characters that add fun dialogue to the story. They’re also the voices who always bring Evie back to focus on her real life, outside of her job.  Reading about her many attempts at meet-cutes kept me laughing and wondering what she would try next. The way this book is written, the story moves along quickly and smoothly. Would Like to Meet is a funny and sweet romance that would make a great romcom for the big screen.
Yet another book about a lover of romantic comedies who embodies every negative stereotype about women who love rom-coms. Reminds me somewhat of Waiting for Tom Hanks both in intent and flaws, but the attempted humor here made this one much worse for me. If you find the humor funny, then this book ought to be alright, but sadly it just made me cringe.
Would Like to Meet was an entertaining afternoon's diversion. It read like a Hallmark movie plot - and sometimes that's exactly what I'm in the mood to read! Rachel Winters offers readers the chance to explore "meet cutes."  I appreciated her quirky, interesting and fully dimensional characters. The dialogue always seemed to fit both situation and character.  The story itself was fun and entertaining. I would read more from Rachel Winters.
I received my copy through NetGalley under no obligation.
A romcom that features a character that re-enacts famous meet cutes in order to help some "nob" find inspiration to write a romcom?! It's so meta that I had to read it lol.

I went back and forth about my feelings for this book. Yes, the book is a slow burn. Yes, there's absolutely no steam and the couple doesn't get together until the very end of the book. But I think that's why this book worked out for me.

For some reason, I love the slow burning romances. I'm laughing at myself while I write this because usually if there's too much middle part and not enough action, I get a little annoyed. But my love for slow burning fantasy and science fiction somehow slithered its way into my love for romance. Now, slow burning romances are more my style than the ones when couples get together in the second chapter. I felt like the story between the romance was really fun and really what made me keep reading. I love rom-com movies, so reading about Evie testing out these meet cutes in real life and writing these scenes for Ezra brought a lot of story to the book. I mean, I don't think there would be story without Evie's journey to finding her career and taking charge. I love me a story where the main character finally finds their voice and speaks for themselves and wins the day. It makes me so happy.

And the characters! OMG, this is one of those stories with a fun cast of characters that help Evie out. I mean, they were her friends and their friendship wasn't perfect (I mean, what friendship is?), but I'm just such a fan of an ensemble of friends who always have your back and always tell you when you're going off the rails.

I also felt like this book was everything I was expecting from Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfred. It's got a focus on romantic comedies and it includes many different examples of some of my all-time favorite stories. While I'm a huge fan of Nora Ephron's work, I think there are definitely some romantic movies that can rival hers anytime. It made my heart sing to hear the names of so many beloved romantic comedies and also to hear them distilled into specific genres.

Overall, it was just a solid and fun read. I think I'll keep my eye on Rachel Winters and see what she comes up with next.
DNF

Yet another book about a lover of romantic comedies who embodies every negative stereotype about women who love romcoms. Reminds me somewhat of Waiting for Tom Hanks both in intent and flaws, but the attempted humor here made this one much worse for me. If you find the humor funny, then this book ought to be alright, but sadly it just made me cringe.
This book was a struggle to read. Not realistic at all and just couldn't suspend my disbelief. It is just so far-fetched and is trying to be so forcibly cutesy but ends up being entirely contrived. I didn't believe in any of these characters and the main character was just annoying, at best
A thoroughly enjoyable rom-com about funnily enough, the process of creating a rom-com. If romantic comedies happen to be your favorite genre, you'll recognize the familiar tropes and the usual cast. Quipy and with a great cast, some of the parts dragged a little bit but not enough for me to turn away.
This was such a cute and light romcom read, maybe a bit cheesy but overall, it was a decent read. I enjoyed the characters very much and Evie was relatable. My favorite character was probably the daughter, Annette! Would Like to Meet was one of those books that when you finished, it’ll put a smile in your face but then you’ll be able to move on to another book right away. A solid 4 star read :)
I'll admit I was drawn into this one because of the cover and the rom-com aspect. I'd hoped for a fun rom-com story, but I struggled to get into this one. I never connected with the characters. I ended up sitting it aside and don't plan to return to it. It's just not the book for me.
I started this book 8 months ago, read 20% and then put it down. I finally picked it back up a few days ago, restarted it from the beginning, and finished in less than 24 hours. I loved Would Like to Meet SO MUCH!

I am totally obsessed with romantic comedies in film, and this book referenced some of my absolute favorites. That fact alone would have held my attention, but the storyline and characters were so engaging and perfectly written. Evie is an assistant at a screenwriting agency tasked with getting her agencies most arrogant client to deliver the rom-com he promised. He agrees to write the script within three months as long as Evie proves to him meet-cutes can happen in real life.

I don’t even know if I can properly explain how cute and enjoyable this book was. Evie’s meet-cute antics were so funny, I laughed out loud multiple times. I loved her quirky group of friends, their group texts, and how involved they were. There’s some real swoon-worthy scenes here, which surprised me considering this is really not a romance! The reader doesn’t know for sure who the love interest is until the end of the book. I had a feeling who Evie would end up with in the very beginning, but the ending of this book was totally worth the wait!

I can see how some romance readers would be disappointed with how the book was not a romance, but a women’s fiction with a love story. But I completely fell in love with the way the story is told. I loved this book so much, I didn’t even miss that there was no steam and no obvious hero. Would Like to Meet was exactly the book I needed to read this week, it was charming and funny and heartwarming. Would Like to Meet deserves all the stars and was a five star read for me. Highly, highly recommend!
I have to admit, I wasn’t sure about this book when I first started getting into it. I was actually a bit thrown off at the beginning because it’s VERY British. You wouldn’t know from the description of the book. With all the talk about a film agency and Hollywood romcoms, I thought it was gonna take place in the states. Not that it’s a bad thing, but all the British terms like “Hen Do” would be confusing to some us reading in the US. But I was honestly surprised by this book. I thought it was going to be the typical enemies to lovers since NOB seemed to be set up as the love interest. Honestly I have a harder time categorizing this as a “Rom Com”. True it talks about Rom Coms and meet cites A LOT. But actual romance is really only secondary. I think this is more of a women’s fiction of Chick-Lit masquerading as a rom-com. A great story ultimately, but I understand why people get confused and put the book down. But in the end, I absolutely loved it!
Ok the idea for this book is absolutely delightful. I really loved the idea of acting out the meet cute scenes from old rom com movies. It sounds like the absolute perfect set up for the most adorable romance! But the execution was just okay. I really wish that the hero and heroine had more sexual chemistry and that their relationship had been fleshed out more. Ultimately this was cute, but just won't be one that I remember for a long time,
I can't remember the last time I cried tears of laughter from reading a book. Tears!

This novel is like a giant hug to all the romcoms that ever were. It sort of made fun of, but actually fully embraced, the entire romance genre; all the tropes and all the different kinds of meet-cutes, all that goes wonderfully right and all that goes horribly wrong. I mean how can u not love a novel that references and parodies pretty much every single romcom you've ever loved?

Let me back up and tell u what it's about before I plead that u read this ( because u absolutely must!). Would Like to Meet is about Evie Summers, assistant to a top agent representing the most recent Oscar winning screen writer, Ezra Chester. Only he hasn't written anything since... and he's locked into an agreement to write a romcom, one that if he doesn't write will probably tank Evie's entire agency.

Evie has been trying to prove herself capable of graduating her assistant level job and joining the ranks of agent for the past 7 years. When Ezra refuses to submit his script and blows off every meeting, she finally sees her chance- all she has to do is get Ezra writing. Except, he won't write because he doesn't believe romcoms are realistic.
Enter Evie with a deal to get him writing; if she could prove to him that it's possible to meet a man in real life just like they do in the movies, he will work on his romantic comedy script. So, she goes about staging her very own meet-cutes. You'll have to read it to see for yourself, but trust me she gets herself into some hilarious predicaments! What I will tell u is that I loved every single thing about this book, every nuanced character and every reference, every date and every disaster. Maybe it's because I just related to Evie so much... @frostycheeks1, this was brilliant, you have a forever fan in me😘 and I'm highly anticipation whatever u have in store next! Shoutout to @putnambooks for pairing me with the most perfect book every single time! It means the world to me, thank you❤
Hi yes so I’d like to formally announce this as one of my new favorite rom-coms. The CUTENESS that this book is? Can’t be explained. I have a new favorite book boyfriend and his name is Benjamin Michael Williams. I mean, what a SWEETHEART. (I’ve stayed up late to finish this and as such, my excitement just can’t be held in, apologies).
Evie, Evie, Evie. Our main character, yes, of course loveably quirky and somewhat putout with where life has landed her at the moment- is in the midst of staging meet-cures, in the hopes of having a meet-cute, to prove meet-cute’s can happen, to a screenwriter who doesn’t believe in meet-cites, but needs to write a meet-cute. Follow? It’s simple enough. And SO much fun!
A wannabe screenwriter turned wannabe agent is tasked with "handling" a superstar screenwriter tasked with writing a rom-com. This leads to her recreating rom-com "meet cutes" in an effort to prove that love exists and to get him over his writer's block. Would Like to Meet is a cute, romantic comedy itself with a charming heroine and some very funny scenes.
Would Like to Meet is an original, quirky, and hilariously entertaining brit chick lit romance that vividly explores a young assistant agent’s journey to rediscovering her passion for writing and fulfilling her dreams while tackling ups and downs in her career, friendships/personal relationships, love life, self-identity, and self-acceptance. With vibrant description, language, and a well-developed quirky cast of characters, Winters centers the story’s progression and the growth of the characters around examining our obsession with rom-coms and meet-cutes and how it influences our views of our lives and love.

After working seven thankless years as an assistant at a small TV/Film agency, Evie Sommers is finally on the verge of getting a promotion, but in the direst of circumstances. Her agency is about to go out of business unless they can get their biggest client to write his contracted romantic comedy follow-up to his successful debut. Arrogant, aggravating, and too gorgeous for her well-being, Ezra Chester is the bane of her existence, and the one thing standing between her finally making her dreams come true. Or close enough anyway. Evie did not get into the business to work as an agent, but things didn’t turn out quite like she expected so she’s making the best of it. Full of himself, Ezra believes he is above writing a Hollywood romance and refuses to do so, even if he is under contract. Evie convinces him to write the script in exchange for her providing him inspiration by proving that real love does exist and can be found just like in rom-coms by living out meet cutes from the romantic comedies we all know and love. Up until this point, Ezra and Evie know each other only superficially. But over the course of Evie’s meet cutes and the reports that Ezra demands she write up for him, they get to know each other a lot better.

Evie is long suffering, reliable, and endlessly selfless as Monty’s assistant running errands, dealing with clients, and getting him out of one bad situation after another. For all intents and purposes, she practically runs the agency, working all the time, so much so that she barely has a life of her own. In all areas of Evie’s life outside of her work, she comes across as self-involved, forgetting to keep her promises, being careless with people’s feeling and needs. Consequently, she misses out on spending time with her friends, frequently dropping the ball when it comes to her responsibilities in her own life, to herself and to her friends. While she has been working her life away, her friends have been growing up and getting lives of their own that she knows little about. She makes faulty assumptions about her friends’ lives and how perfect they appear to be to her. She’s become a missing person in her own life. As she undertakes the meet-cutes, her life plays out like a comedy of errors. But she does make new friends along the way, befriending a widower and his deaf/hearing impaired daughter, who get swept up into Evie’s crazy life and meet-cutes. She also gets more time to herself away from the office, reconnecting with her friends and her own life for the first time in far too long.

It turns out that having to plan the meet-cutes, see them through, and then write them up is just the shakeup Evie needs in her life. After being rejected creatively early in her career and facing other disappointments and obstacles, Evie gave up on creating, writing, and pursuing her dreams. But having to write up reports of the meet-cutes and with increasing pressure from Ezra to make them more personal, Evie finds herself writing again and rediscovering the joy and love she had for it. Being away from work and spending time with friends—both new and old—and the new adventures and experiences from the meet-cutes also help her to make some decisions about her life and future.

While the novel does focus on romance, with a love triangle that doesn’t exactly read as a one, it focuses more on Evie’s career, friendships, growing up, not being afraid of adventure and the unknown or taking risks, learning from mistakes and life experiences, and taking advantage of second, or even third, chances. Also, while readers might have their own ideas or hopes of who Evie chooses, you really aren’t sure whether or who she might choose as a love interest. Ben and Ezra couldn’t be more different and each help Evie in her journey in their own way, but one does so with unselfish motives and the other may only be a good match on paper.

They don’t know it but both Ben and Evie share the sad occurrence that a tragic event in their life has affected their ability to creatively express themselves and pursue their craft. For Evie it was writing. For Ben it was photography. I love how Evie is so resistant to writing the meet-cutes and how it slowly comes back to her, the comfort, the love of it, creativity, and fulfillment. Each chapter opens with a brief intro written in film format, which creatively sets the scene and is a nice touch thematically. Would like to Meet is a character driven, humorous, witty, emotional, and wacky, adventurous exploration of how life takes us down paths we don’t expect, and the journey is just as important as the destination.
Let me start off by saying I love Romantic Comedies in movie and or book form. This book was such a fun and fantastic read! With adorable characters and the perfect "meet cutes" this book will have you laughing and swooning at the same time. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a sweet and loveable story!