Cover Image: Eat Yourself Healthy

Eat Yourself Healthy

Very informative and insightful. Easy to read and understand.
Also includes some great recipes.
4 stars from me!
I choose to read this book because I am interested in health and nutrition. I unfortunately found this book hard to read on a kindle however the parts I did read were informative and interesting. I will never think about gut health in the same way again. Megan Rossi knows her stuff and relays that information in a straight forward and understandable way. The recipes also all sounded delicious.
A fascinating and practical guide to gut-health. I loved how the book explains complex biology in a simple way and offers plenty of healthy recipes that would be easy to adopt.

I first 'discovered' Megan whilst listening to a podcast and was immediately interested in what she had to say. I was so glad that her book delivered really useful information.
What a great cookbook! The material is well written and presented in an easy to follow manner. I look forward to trying out several of these recipes.
It was a okay read some helpful information . But found a bit boring . So I would not recommend to friends .
I am really interested in gut health due to having IBS and DD. I have read other books which I have found really helpful so I was interested in reading this and looking at the recipes also.
I was somewhat disappointed as it seems to be a vehicle for Dr Rossi to have lots of glamour shots of herself throughout the book! There were a lot written but little said.
The facts about Yoga for IBS were odd and there was no looking at alternative for people with disabilities or if you have allergies to certain foods etc

There were repeated pages, which just seemed to help ‘fill out’ the book as did the ‘all about me’ at the beginning.  Because the author is Australian some of the ingredients wouldn’t be readily available in Britain.

There was also a lot of "do this survey on this website" which I didn't like. I went on the website to do the assessment but was unable to put in the page number stated to get a password as with a Kindle it will be different than a paperback book. I gave up. It seemed a lot of work and it would just be giving her ‘hits’ on her website.

I have read far better books on this subject. Didn’t deliver for me but if you’ve not read any other books on the subject and want a short book it will do.
As others have said the formatting of the book in kindle is not particularly great. It's much shorter than I expected and you can't really dip in and out of it.

Edit: After my review the publisher got in touch and sent me a free copy of the paperback book!

There's a lot of information regarding gut health, but nothing I haven't already read on the Internet or found for myself previously. There's a whole section on yoga but personally I don't ike yoga so not helpful for me. I expected more recipes but there are only a few and they are not things I would d cook or eat so unfortunately this book was not for me.
A great introduction to gut health and how you can start to heal your gut. It's well explained, in an easy to digest writing style. Loved the recipes section too.
A great selection of recipes throughout. Easy to follow step by step instructions. Interesting to now see it being used as a sample diet on ITV.
I enjoy skimming through this book although I didn't agree with a lot of it - I always try and read a broad spectrum of people's ideas of what constitute healthy eating. It is worth looking at but not, in my opinion, a final book on eating yourself to health.
I chose this book because I have a keen interest in healthy eating. I'm not a major healthy eater (I'm the wrong size and shape for that) but I try to make good food choices, I like cooking from scratch, and i'm interested in the science of food. 'Eat yourself healthy' also appealed to me as it didn't come across as a standard diet and weight loss book, this seemed to just be focusing more on the whole health of your body.
This is a really informative book, Megan Rossi knows her stuff and relays that information in a straight forward and understandable way. The book is also interactive, as you can follow links (if you have the e-book version, hardcopy readers will just have to do it the old fashioned way and type in the web address) to take different types of self assessments. So you can learn where you are within mind and body at the moment of reading, and take re-assessments along the way to track your journey.
Of course this wouldn't be a complete healthy eating book if it didn't contain some recipes, so of course it does. There are some 'interesting' recipes within, not all to my taste, and some contain ingredients way beyond my standard shopping list but they could be worth a try. (The sautéed Brussel sprouts and tenderstem broccoli with pesto and wild rice sounds tempting)
My top take away from 'Eat yourself healthy' is the suggestion for gut goodness bowls. Rossi provides you with various ingredients divided into columns like 'Fibre Base' 'Fermented Flavours' 'Healthy fats' and 'Dress and Coat'. You then essentially mix and match ingredients from these columns to create your own gut goodness bowl. I think its a great idea, you know you're making healthy choices, and with just a few ingredients you can create a whole variety of different choices.
On the whole 'Eat Yourself Healthy' is a useful and informative book, not exactly ground-breaking in the science and diet department but still a great source of information.
At times Eat Yourself Healthy felt like a plug for the author’s website and nothing more, particularly as the assessments mentioned by her were predominantly only on the website. Otherwise, this was an interesting and informative book and I would purchase it.

The author has broken everything down into easy to understand section and explains any technical language in a way that is easy to understand. She is clearly very passionate about her subject as well which helps to make it more fun to read.

Eat Yourself Healthy is all about gut health and your gut microbiota or GM.

“Your GM is incredibly powerful- in fact, this newly appreciated organ is pretty much essential to whatever your health goal is. It’s not only capable of thousands of functions, going well beyond what we could achieve on our own, but it has also been linked with successful weight management, improved fitness levels, healthier skin, boosted immunity and even our happiness.

What really blows my mind is that, unlike our genetic make-up, over which we have no control, we have the ability to shape our GM simply by how we treat it- which means that a bit part of our personal health is in our hands.”

Gut health is a lot more complicated than just increasing probiotics and these can actually hinder gut health for certain people.

I found her seven principles for gut health were useful. In particular, emphasising that diversity is key and that whole and natural foods should always win out over processed

Finally, there were some useful and delicious looking recipes in the back which I will be using.
This book was ok. The information given was vast but I felt the recipes were complex and not accessible to the average person
As a woman in her fifties and not feeling quite as healthy as I once did, following major surgery which affected my gut, I committed to reading up on looking after my insides. This book is great, not only does it have some delicious recipes but it’s educational. I couldn’t see the assessments so I intend to purchase a paper copy to get the full benefit of the book’s offerings. Thumbs up from me.
I have wanted to try this for quite some time so this book is now my bible. So out with the bad in with healthy eating and here's to a new me in 2020. Wish me luck.
This book has been such an eye opener. Unlike other "health" books this one gives you so much information on the science of the body and how it needs to be treated to be healthy. To learn about the body to be able to be healthy is so much more important than just going on a diet but to be able to change your diet for the best. Definitely recommend to those who want to change the way they see their body and want to be more healthy.
A short book about our gut health. The Dr talks through triggers that can exacerbate bad reactions from the gut and explains how to overcome and adapt our lifestyles to improve gut health. Interesting book with recipes to try
Initially I thought this was a recipe book but it’s not solely that. There are some recipes and information on understanding the gut and the science behind it. Well worth a read if you suffer any issues but alas this wasn’t for me.

Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
A very interesting introduction to how to look after your gut - and yourself as a whole. Ms Rossi's advice might be centred on your gut but her advice (eating a more plant based diet, managing sleep and stress and getting some exercise) is going to improve your whole body heath too. I felt more confident reading this too, given Ms Rossi's medical background. A good read
Sorry, this book  did not come up to my expectations. I found it hard to read and I don’t think that I learned anything new. Unfortunately I did not enjoy it.