Cover Image: North! Or Be Eaten

North! Or Be Eaten

Book 2 in the Wingfeather Saga delivers action-packed adventure & suspense from the very first page. Having narrowly escaped the Fangs of Dang at the end of Book 1, the Jewels of Anniera (Janner, Tink, and Leeli Igiby) are on the run along with their mother and grandfather headed to the Ice Prairies where the Fangs cannot survive the cold.

With the Fangs in hot pursuit, the Igiby's once again narrowly escape with their lives and soon face the next predator: Stranders intent on keeping them hostage. With some clever sleight of hand, the Igibys manage to make their escape but soon become separated. And as Janner and Tink begin to quarrel, it's not clear whether the family will all arrive safely together.

Before the book is done, one or more of the family has faced imprisonment, servitude in a fork factory, transformation into a Fang, and the wrath of sea dragons. Moreover, their grandfather's unsavory past comes back to haunt him and threatens the safety of the whole family.  How can Janner possibly carry out his responsibility to escort his heir-apparent brother to Anniera with enemies and obstacles everywhere they turn?

Readers will be on the edge of their seats, riding a roller coaster of fear, relief, nail-biting suspense and the uncertainty of the future of the Igibys. I did find some parts of the book to be pretty scary and parents may want to consider previewing before reading to children under 10 years of age.  This series definitely needs to be read from the beginning to fully understand the characters and the fantasy world that Peterson has created. I highly recommend this imaginative fiction full of adventure, peril, and deep family bonds.

Disclaimer: I received a free digital copy of North! Or Be Eaten from NetGalley for the purpose of review. No other compensation was received.
I loved this series. The author wrote this book perfectly.  I couldn't put it down until I had finished it. I loved the way the story went and just wish the story would continue. This was a good series and this book was a wonderful read.
The series got new artwork, tons of new illustrations. Even more maps! It also is in hardback. So now my shelves have full sets of BOTH editions. WOW.

So, I'm hooked on the characters. There's action and adventure. Chasing, and running, and danger, and rescues along with friendship and creatures and have I yet told you this is an amazing series that isn't lacking anything at all? Our female lead rocks, and the morals are fantastic. You can read and re-read this series and not get tired of it. Most of all, you will understand why -- North, or be eaten, and by what, and why, and what happens when you get to North?
I really enjoyed this book. I think this series would be excellent for reading out loud as a family or as a group. There is much activity; things to be conquered, things to escape, things to learn. Towards the end, I hit a point where I couldn't put the book down. I received an e-copy as part of a book launch
Cute, but sillier than I was expecting.I think it'll be great for a younger crowd who already love humor. Suggesting it to my Children's Lead.
This book is not for the faint of heart. It's full, it's descriptive, it's another world. The story can be dark at times, but not unusual for a young adult novel. I think it makes it all the more interesting of a read. You'll definitely want to read the first book, so as to get a sense of the world, the characters and the creatures. Imagine jumping into the LotR story right in the middle. You'd have no clue of what was happening. So definitely grab the first book before jumping into the second one. Great imagery and storytelling.
This book was amazing as are all of the other books in this series. Definitely recommend for my friend’s children. Highly entertaining and well written. A mush read!
In this story, Andrew Peterson continues the Wingfeather Saga. After falling in love with the characters in the first book, Peterson continues to build on the characters and their dynamics as well as introduce us to new characters along the way.
The plot moves along at a great pace and is sure to keep readers (and listeners!) involved.
Another powerful entry in the Wingfeather Saga. I'll admit, I skimmed some of the sillier/descriptive parts, but for the target Middle School audience, it's really good. I could relate to Janner's frustrations, disappointment, and snap judgments. He is shaping up to be a great older brother slash throne warden, one trial and trouble at a time.
Leeli is as impressive as ever, and I'm enjoying getting to know her and her heart of kindness and courage.

This story is one mishap after another, one crisis after another, and yet there's plenty to laugh at and be challenged by. I wasn't sure I would be, but I am definitely looking forward to the next part of the story. It wasn't quite a cliffhanger, but close enough that I'm ready for the next part.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley, and chose to review it here. All thoughts are my own.
Andrew Peterson is an amazing storyteller!! It captivates  you and drags  you into the story. His books are full of adventure with beautiful messages. Each book of the serie  is better and better and more exiting.... OMG,This book really surprised me.  Cant wait to read the next one!!!
Be prepared. The action rachets up in this portion of the series. There are some gut wrenching scenes but hope will light the way. The illustrations will add depth to the scenes as they unfold beneath your eyes or ears. Bravo.
If I was worried for the Igiby's in the first book, it was nothing compared to how I felt in this second installment of the Wingfeather Saga! The difficult journey to the Ice Praries begins and no one expected it to be so hard, not even me.

The author really put them through their paces and had me suffering for the fate of the 3 kids, and their family. It was very hard seeing them tested like that but I love the character growth that we are seeing especially with Janner, he is growing up so fast and I'm loving the man he is becoming. We still need to see how Tink is going to go but his last experience is going to define him as a character and I'm excited to see how he will evolve in the next book.

The only thing that bothered me slightly was the same thing with the last book and that is the grandfather's attitude sometimes. He exploded in anger, particularly against one character (never with the kids or his daughter), and while I understand the reason that he didn't like him, it seemed he never even tried a little. I still love Podo, he is an amazing, strong and loving character, but I would like to see some change in him.

I seem to have a lot of expectations for the other two books and I can't wait to dive in to the third volume.
The adventure continues with the Wingfeather children in book 2! I enjoyed learning more in depth about Tink and Janner in this book. The adventure really picks up from page one and doesn’t let up the entire story!
2.5/5 stars

When I saw the Wingfeather series on NetGalley, the covers immediately enchanted me. I looked it up at Goodreads and saw that they were just new editions and the old ones got very good and high reviews. Since lately my favourite genre is MG fantasy, I knew I would love these, too. That’s why I requested the whole series in NetGalley.
Then came the surprise, and the first book got 3 stars from me. I’m not saying I didn’t like it, but it was so boring and nothing special to me, I suffered reading it. But when I read it, I moved in, and I didn’t have a lot of mood for it, so I decided to give the series another chance.
That's how I started in this book. I told myself that I was going to enjoy this book, I was just in the wrong mood when I read the first one... Well, it didn't happen that way. I enjoyed the beginning of the book a bit more, but then I started to get bored again. I think if I hadn’t suffered with the first one and wasted so much time on it, I would have loved this book better. But I just felt like I was still suffering in this world and I had enough of it. The characters were annoying now, I didn't care about the story at all, and didn't like where the story was going. By the end, I was so tired of the book that I hated reading it.
I have a rule: I don’t DNF any book from NetGalley. So I couldn't DNF. I admit, I just bought an audiobook in the end and finished it in that way. If I hadn't listened to the audiobook, I would break my "not DNFing" rule.
I was also disappointed because this edition should contain illustrations. The first book was full of pictures, which gave me something special. In this one, there were only a few pictures in it and they were illustrations about some creatures. I guess it was only the NetGalley version like that, but it’s a little disappointing that there wasn’t even a map.
I didn't match with this series, I will not continue it.

Hungarian version:
Amikor megláttam NetGalley-n a Wingfeather sorozatot, rögtön elvarázsoltak a borítók. Utánnanéztem Goodreadsen, és láttam, hogy ez csak egy új kiadás, és a régiek nagyon jó értékelést kaptak. Mivel mostanában kedvenc műfajom a MG fantasy, tudtam, hogy én is imádni fogom. Ezért az egész sorozatra jelentkeztem, hogy elolvasom.
Aztán jött a feketeleves, és az első rész nem túlzottan jött be. Nem mondom, hogy nem szerettem, de annyira unalmas, és semmilyen volt nekem, végig szenvedtem az olvasását. De épp költözés közben voltam, nem volt hangulatom nagyon hozzá, ezért úgy dönttem, hogy adok még egy esélyt.
Így kezdtem bele ebbe a könyvbe. Én teljesen próbáltam bemesélni magamnak, hogy ezt én élvezni fogom, csak rossz passzban voltam az elsőnél... Hát nem így lett. Igazából az elejét még valamennyire élveztem, de aztán kezdtem újra megunni. Szerintem, ha nem szenvedtem volna az elsővel, és nem pazarlok el rá ennyi időt, jobban szerettem volna a könyvet, de így csak azt éreztem, hogy még mindig szenvedek ebben a világban. A sszereplők most már idegesítettek, a történet meg cseppet sem érdekelt, és nem is tetszett merre halad a történet. Végén már annyira elegem volt a könyvből, hogy utáltam olvasni. De NetGalley-s könyvet nem hagyok félbe, ezért megszenvedtem rendesen vele. Bevallom, végén már kerestem egy hangoskönyvet, és úgy hallgattam végig, mert ha csak olvasni kellett volna, megszegem a nem hagyok félbe szabályomat.
Ezenkívül csalósott is voltam, mert ez a verzió illusztált kellett volna, hogy legyen. Az első rész tele volt képekkel, ami kicsit feldobta, de ebben csak pár kép volt pár lényről. Gondolom, hogy csak a NetGalley-s verzió volt ilyen, de kicsit kiábrándító, hogy még csak térkép sem volt.
Én és ez a sorozat nem találtunk egymásra, tovább nem fogom folytatni.
Andrew Peterson has created a believable fantasy world in The Wingfeather Saga. The world and its creatures maintain a consistency throughout the two books in the series I have read so far. In North! Or Be Eaten the characters learn there are consequences for their actions, even actions from many years ago. They also learn what happens when they are selfish and do not put others before themselves. Readers will be challenged along with the characters as they try to figure out who they can trust among the people they meet on their journey.

There is much in North! Or Be Eaten to appeal to fantasy lovers – mythical creatures, an epic quest, and adventure. There is danger along with quite a bit of fighting – another aspect that will appeal especially to the boys.

North! Or Be Eaten has a satisfying ending although readers will wonder what comes next. I can’t wait to read other books in The Wingfeather Saga. I recommend reading the books in order as the stories do build on the previous book.

There would be no problem adding  North! Or Be Eaten and other titles in the Wingfeather Saga to a  K-12 Christian School library. I think the book has appeal for fantasy lovers grades 5 and up.

I received an advanced copy as a member of the launch team. This is my honest review.
Book Review: North! or Be Eaten by Andrew Peterson
For those of you not following along, I’m reading the Wingfeather Saga to mark the release of new collectable hardcover editions being released this year.  Specifically, books three and four being released on October 6.

Alas, rather than hardback I am reading them on Kindle so I am not getting the full effect of the new covers, maps, and illustrations by Joe Sutphin.  Kindle reading does make it easier to read in bed at night without disturbing my wife so it has that going for it.  And it does give me a sense of the added material even if not quite as grand as the hardbacks.

I am pleased to report that the books seems to be getting better as we go. I enjoyed On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness and found the second half of the book more engaging than the first.

And that pattern continued with North! or Be Eaten

Janner, Tink, and Leeli Igiby thought they were normal children with normal lives and a normal past. But now they know they’re really the Lost Jewels of Anniera, heirs to a legendary kingdom across the sea, and suddenly everyone wants to kill them.

In order to survive, the Igibys must flee to the safety of the Ice Prairies, where the lizardlike Fangs of Dang cannot follow. First, however, they have to escape the monsters of Glipwood Forest, the thieving Stranders of the East Ben, and the dreaded Fork Factory.

But even more dangerous are the jealousies and bitterness that threaten to tear them apart. Janner and his siblings must learn the hard way that the love of a family is more important than anything else.

I think I enjoyed this second book in the Wingfeather Series more than the first because there was more action and much more of the larger picture was revealed.

The focus continues to be on Janner, his character and perspective, but we also finally learn more about Peet/Arthur. The second book also includes more about the history and geography of Skree and the myths and legends of Aneiria.  The big picture really starts to come together and you see how the children’s story connects with the larger world.  The complexity is starting to develop even as the tension and excitement grows.

It is still a fantasy adventure for younger children so there are some improbable escapes but also some nice twists and turns as well. Mixed in with this are some well done portraits of what it means to be a family.  Sure, not every family has to deal with fantasy adventure type action but the dynamics of siblings and family are universal and Peterson explores them without slowing the story down or getting too cheesy.

I’m glad I decided to revisit this series and am excited about pushing on to book 3.
Andrew Peterson has once again blessed us with a world of adventure with his creativity. His The Wingfeather Series is a series of books for young adults. The books are rereleasing with new covers, new illustrations, and maps. The first two released in March and books three and four will release in September. If you have not had a chance to escape to this world of adventure, this would be a great time to dive in.

I have young children and I cannot wait to introduce them to this series. I recommend it for audiences of all ages. Many of adult friends really enjoy the books along with their children.
North! or Be Eaten is the fast-paced sequel to On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness. In this story, Janner, Tink, and Leeli Igiby learn that they are the Lost Jewels of Anniera. The only way for them to survive is to flee to the Ice Prairies.  But the journey won't be easy.

I fell even more in love with the Igiby children in this second installment of The Wingfeather Saga. This story was fast-paced and more danger-filled than the first story. But the Igiby's learn that love of family is more important than anything else. As they learn to lean into that love, they realize it is this love that will help them overcome all the odds.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. This review is my own, honest opinion.
In <i>North! Or Be Eaten</i>, Andrew Peterson's writing matures and deepens -- at times with an almost cinematic quality, especially in the scene at the bridge near the beginning of the story.

Like its predecessor, this is not a book for the faint-hearted: both because of peril and because of mystery. I'm not talking mystery in the sense of "Who done it?" but in the sense that life can't always be explained -- and yet it clearly has purpose and beauty. There are moments of deep sadness and astonishing bravery, especially among the children in the story, who in many ways take center stage.

There's still a lot of humor in this story, as well -- perhaps more closely integrated than in the previous book. I'm especially fond of the whimsical word-play when it comes to names of places and creatures. To fully enjoy Andrew Peterson's use of dialect and accents, I recommend finding the free online videos of him reading this (and the previous) story aloud in the spring of 2020.

Thanks to Netgalley for the digital ARC.
North! Or Be Eaten is a middle-grade novel written by Andrew Peterson and is book two in The Wingfeather Saga.  This is not a stand alone book.  You need to read the first one to understand and enjoy this one.

Summary: The Wingfeather family has been hiding out in Pete the Sock Man's castle for as long as they can.  Now they must flee to the Ice Prairies or risk being captured by the Fangs.

But the journey is not an easy one.  A dangerous forest, monsters, Stranders, Fangs, Trolls, and evil men stand in between them and the Ice Prairies.  Can the Wingfeather family make it there safely, or will the family be splintered apart forever?

My Thoughts:  I liked this book much better than the first one.  I think because I listened to the first as an audio book, it was a little different.  Also, this series really is entering a whole new world.  Andrew Peterson is an extremely creative writer and has imagined an entirely new world of characters, settings, and beasts.  It takes a bit to get into the story and what is happening.

This second book is packed with action, drama, and an epic journey filled with perils.  I especially enjoyed the monster illustrations with the humorous descriptions.

This book is well-written and easy to follow.  There are tons of interesting characters and battles.  I think adults and kids 12 and up will enjoy this book, and probably boys even younger would like it too.

The only caveat-the author has SUCH a good imagination, the monsters are pretty creepy.  If you have a kid that is squeamish, or scares easily, this book might not be the one for them.  Even I got a little grossed out by one of the monsters-yuck!

That being said, I enjoyed the book, and have already started the next one!

I would like to thank WaterBrook & Multnomah for providing me with a free digital copy of this book in exchange for my review.  Thank you!