Whole in One

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Oct 2019

WHOLE IN ONE by Ellie Krieger streamlines meals by minimizing the number of pots and pans needed to produce tasty recipes.  The recipes I tried were all indeed tasty, and many more caught my eye to try in the future.  The serving sizes are generous for a “healthy” or “diet” cookbook and organized by protein then by pan required.

Categories include
Plant Protein, eggs, and Dairy
Seafood
Poultry
Meat (pork, beef, lamb)
Desserts
Most of the ingredients are readily available at most grocery stores, and Krieger uses spinach, bell peppers, and zucchini quite a bit throughout the book.  Full nutrition information is included.  I tried the following:

Scallops with Zucchini, Corn and Miso Butter.  Straight forward, simple, easy and quick.  I would definitely make this again.

Herbed Pork Tenderloin with Delecata Squash and Brussels Sprouts.  This came together easily, and the results made a super mouthwatering fall meal.  The leftovers reheated well.  I did supplement the generous servings of vegetables with mashed potatoes (mostly to appease the hubby).  This is my favorite of the recipes I tried.

Thai Curry Chicken and Vegetables.  This is not the unctuous thick stew-like curry you get from the corner Thai restaurant, but it is appetizing, full of vegetables and Thai flavors.  The light coconut milk makes a very thin, scant sauce that is barely enough to cover the chicken and veggies.  As written, the recipe is relatively mild but tasty.  The green beans and spinach are surprisingly complementary.  Overall, this was a wonderful light meal, but leftovers were not very good.

Carrot Lentil Soup.  At two cups, the suggested serving size for this soup is huge.  Instead, we each had 1 cup of soup with salad and nana on the side.  It took about 45 minutes to an hour to prepare.  The curry flavor is almost too prominent, and the coconut flavor is mostly missing.  I am not sure I would make this again.

Lamb Skewers with Herbed Bulgur Pilaf. For the sake of variety, and because hubby really likes lamb, I gave this a try.  The servings are large, and neither of us could finish our plates.  The feta is necessary to balance the lamb and mint flavors.  In fact, it is mintier than I like.  Grilling or broiling the lamb would give it nice carmelization and better flavor.  If you are a fan of lamb and Mediterranean flavors, you will find this delicious.

Roasted Pears with Ginger Cookie Crumble and Mascarpone.  Super easy yet sophisticated and really delicious.  That said, since Mascarpone is pricey this will be more of a special occasion dessert.  It would be a wonderful light finish to a holiday meal.

Overall, WHOLE IN ONE is worthy of a spot on your cookbook shelf.

I gratefully received an ARC of this title through NetGalley and voluntarily shared my thoughts here.
Lots of yummy recipes from the Ellie Krieger I know and love.  They all have very simply instructions but still come across as something new and fun.
This cookbook is divine! It's filled with recipes that feel like new comfort foods. The recipes all feel like really fresh ideas and sound like they fit well into the seasons. Not being a meat eater the first two chapters are all plant based and seafood/fish and there are so many great recipes that it honestly felt like a complete pescatarian cookbook. But that is not to say the meat based recipes weren't luscious looking - because they were as well - and many looked easy to omit the meat and still have a great meal.
Simple but healthy meals that look easy to prepare, therefore saving time. Just what a busy person/family wants and needs. I'm looking forward to trying many of these.
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. Great new cookbook from Ellie Krieger with vibrant pictures and easy to follow recipes.
Super easy laid out instructions! I really enjoyed the different recipes in this book. Great for those nights when you need a good easy meal. Got a busy life and still want a home cooked delicious meal, then this is the book for you.
We do not have a dishwasher in our home, so I am always looking for easy meals to make that do not make a million dishes for me to have to wash, because who has time for that after working all day?  The recipes in this book can all be made using minimal dishes and taste amazing!  Highly recommend!
So glad I gave this cookbook a try. Very balanced approach to nutrition with delicious recipes. I love these are all one pan meals. Love the pictures beautifully done they make the food look amazing and I’m thrilled to add this to my collection. I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review. This book is a keeper and I’m glad I found it.
I love all of Ellie Krieger's books and the vast majority of her recipes. This book is another hit, with healthy options and quick and easy options to make. This book will become a staple in our house.
This cookbook contains lots of colored pictures and the recipes include Serving Size, Calories Per Serving, and what vitamins and minerals are obtained from the ingredients. Each dish can be prepared in one pan, which should appeal to most.

As I browsed through the recipes, most of the dishes looked yummy. And it wasn’t hard to decide that I’d love to have someone fix them for me. Especially since they also looked healthy. Yes, I said fix. I know from experience that if a recipe can turn out wrong, I’m the one who can make it happen.

Unfortunately, I have a definite sweet tooth, so I would risk making Maple Pecan Dessert Pancake myself! It can be served warm or when “chilled becomes more of an elegant flanlike tart, thanks to its custardy batter and caramelized sugars.” Now that recipe is calling my name!

I think many will be drawn to the various types of recipes and the fact that they won’t have to dirty a lot of dishes and pans.

My thanks to #Netgalley and Hachette Book Group for the ARC of # This #WholeInOne. This book review is only my opinion.

What Concerned Me:
Most of the titles are beautiful but sound foreign to a non-cook, who still has to cook! But in my case, the titles felt greatly intimidating, such as Polenta Cake With Red Grapes or Creamy Caldo Verde With Mushrooms. Those things sound like a chef needs to prepare them!

Without reading through the recipes and looking at the ingredients, the titles would have me swearing the book wasn’t mine. But truly, there is nothing overly scary about them. (I thought I’d throw that in so people like myself would know the book is totally safe to handle!)

What I Liked Best:
I am a great fan of keeping my cooking limited to one pan. (Or better yet, another person.) I also liked the fact that the instructions were straight forward and easy to follow.

It’s a yes, folks! Head to the store and check out this great new cookbook.
“There is no one ideal diet (despite what many marketers like to tell us). The truth is, humans can thrive on a wide spectrum of different eating patterns when they have a selection of wholesome foods to choose from. ...Tailor your choices to what works best for you at any given time.”

Yes, she advocates not labeling any food as “never eat”. This makes so much sense. I agree it is healthy to allow ourselves a variety of foods, even ones that we may deem unhealthy occasionally.

The somewhat processed ingredients in this cookbook’s recipes include fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Ellie does recommend a couple substitutions such as cornstarch instead of flour. The recipes in Whole in One uses ingredients from all the major allergens so some people may need to substitute ingredients. The Complete Food Substitutions Handbook: Including Options for Low-Sugar, Low-Fat, Low-Salt, Gluten-Free, Lactose-Free, and Vegan by Jean B. MacLeod is a nearly complete list of food substitutions I bought to simplify this process for my children when they cook.

The great part about Ellie’s recipes is she use sweeteners sparingly. Honey and maple syrup are most commonly used with some brown sugar and a tiny bit of confectioner’s sugar. I love that the recipes call for lots of antioxidant spices and fresh herbs.

The promise of using only one pan or pot for cooking was very alluring. I was a little disappointed some recipes use several mixing bowls or a food processor so the dish cleanup is more than I imagined. None would be great, right? However, the Chocolate–Chocolate Chip Sheet Cake recipe really uses just one pan. All the mixing is done right on the baking pan. Cool!

I tried Maple Pecan Dessert Pancake recipe with a couple substitutions. My family loved the end results. I will definitely make it again. I am looking forward to trying Black Rice Coconut Pudding next. There are several dinner recipes that also look tempting.

One feature I really like is the nutrients especially available in each recipe are noted. Ellie does a great job combining healthy whole foods with spices and herbs for interesting flavor combinations and boosted nutrition.

If you have allergies, multiple food sensitivities, or are trying to get rid of inflammation or candida this may not be the best book for you unless you are used to substituting ingredients. It might still be fun to check out from the library though for some new recipe inspiration.

I will be enjoying more of the recipes from Whole in One very soon.

I received a free advanced reader copy of this book. All opinions are completely my own.
Good, solid recipes that sound warm and inviting.  They sound especially inviting as we go into the colder months.  The book is presented well and broken into respective groupings.  I would have liked a few more images, however.  I like to have one photo per recipe, and at least in my copy, some recipes did not have images.  I love the idea of being able to cook if all in one vessel.  I myself use many pots for cooking ,so an all-in-one is welcoming.  Thank you for this advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
I included this book in a post about new cookbooks for October. The details will be supplied directly to the publisher in the next round.
I am very picky when it comes to cookbooks but I am so glad I did pick this one because I love it.

The recipes are easy enough that even I can do them.  That says a lot because I am horrible at cooking.

I do highly recommend
I definitely liked this selection of recipes. I'm a big cookbook collector and would definitely buy this in paperback to add to my cookbook collection.  It is all about one dish recipes which is one of my favorite types of recipes because it makes it so easy, less dishes, simple, delicious. Cant wait to start trying them all!
Many of these recipes look great -- simple to make and tasty.

For the vast majority of people, these recipes will help them meet their nutritional goals.  For me, personally, many of these recipes are either too high in calories or too low in protein.  I still find this book to be useful, but it won't be one I reach for often.
I have a lot of Ellie's cookbooks in my collection purely for food inspiration. This cookbook like her many others did not disappoint. Ellie manages to explain cooking for the most introductory cook in the kitchen in a simple way. The only downside was that I thought there would be more meatless options in this book. Other than that this cookbook is a winner to add to your collection.
This book first appealed to me because it has recipes to be prepared using a single pot/pan or skillet.  I love easy recipes and easy cleanup.  But, as I began to browse the recipes, I found an added benefit:  the meals are healthy!  For example, I'm not a big pancake fan, but the zucchini pancakes with yogurt feta sauce appealed to me.  The recipes seemed simple and included nutritional information and notes about how long it would keep in the refrigerator.  It would also be nice to know whether it's freeze-able!

The book is organized by main ingredient (plant protein/eggs/dairy, seafood, poultry, meat & desserts).  I found the first chapter the most appealing (and I'm an omnivore).  The recipes were different and appetizing, such as Loaded Potato Nachos, Coconut Curry Carrot Lentil Soup, and Broccoli Cheddar Skillet Strata.  My one complaint is that there was a lot of white space on the pages and this could have been used to illustrate each recipe.  Visual appeal is important!
4 out of 5

**OMG!  I cannot believe that these reviews haven't been done!  I am so sorry they are so late!!!**
I liked all of 5 things in this cookbook and 4 of them were in the dessert section.
#Wholeinone #Netgalley