Work in Progress

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2019

I received this as a free ARC from NetGalley in return for my opinion.

The book describes the behind the scenes of the Ford family such as childhood, dreams, goals, etc. that readers and viewers are not able to possibly get from a one hour tv show. Told in alternating voices of Leann Ford and Steve Ford. it gives insight to the siblings family, childhood, relationships, dreams, goals, etc. I enjoyed the book to a certain extent as I liked it enough to finish it. However, I do have some cons about the book. I wondered if some of the comments/banterings between the two siblings  would be better suited for tv than a book. I was disappointed that it didn't give decorating tips. I was also confused about the nature of the book. Is it autobiography? Is it a manual on how to achieve your dreams and goals, as at the end of the chapters there are questions to ask about your own journey?  This book would appeal to ans of the show who want to learn more about the siblings and how they came to have a hit HGTV show. If you're looking for decorating tips, this is not book.
Told in brief, alternating voices, this is a positive book about following your dreams and working for what you want in life. It also tells the story of a supportive family which allows for creative growth.
I did find much of the content repetitive and felt it could use more substance and editing.
Just okay. Not that interesting biography.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
Try as I might, I just cannot get into this book. I enjoy seeing these siblings on HGTV on other projects like A Very Brady Renovation and Rock the Block, but have not watched their own show. Now.....Not sure I will. The book is definitely for those who enjoy watching them and understand their rhythms and how they work together, so maybe I need to see them to understand, but I just cannot get past the half way point in this book.

Unlike the Property Brothers, who have a rhythm to their writing that is similar to how they speak on TV, The Fords' book feels stilted. There is no flow, and it feels poorly designed. They should stick to their strengths, which are definitely on visual design and construction, and not delve into the book world until they can get a better working flow in their writing.
2.5 stars really.

I enjoy their show. My mom more so than me. So when I saw that this was up for review, I grabbed it.

I’m a little confused by this book. For one, it an autobiography of the siblings on how they got to having their own tv show doing what they love to do. For another, at the end of almost each chapter is a bunch of questions aimed at you the reader on how to handle your own work in progress. Not to mention the tips of Leanne and Steve on a lot of things, not just for your home. So is this book about the Fords? Or a book the Fords wrote to help others achieve their dreams?

That’s my real beef with this one. It’s like they didn’t have a focus for the book.

Otherwise it was nice to know that it took them a while to get where they are now. And they stayed true to themselves throughout their journey. And how lucky are they to have grown up in a nurturing environment that celebrated their individuality.

Thank you Thomas Nelson - W Publishing for the arc of this book.
A charming book, with sections alternating between the siblings, that recounts their journey up until this point. Although the Fords are best known for their decorating, thanks to HGTV, this book is not about home decor. Instead it's about family, and the strange twists your life can take until you find where you need to be.
Disclaimer: I am from the Netherlands, and I had never heard of Leanne and Steve but, I was interested in this book because what they do is part of my day to day life as a home stager, interior photographer and decorator. Work in Progress tells the story of a brother and sister that always have seized their opportunities and are not afraid to fail both hopping from job to job to find their passion in interior design and construction finally. I like the set up of the book a lot; it's like Leanne and Steve are sitting on the couch telling their life stories, filling in the blanks for one another from childhood until the end of the season of their first HGTV show.

So far so good, it's a beautiful story of a happy family but, I miss the depth in their story, the pain that their lives inevitably have offered (except for their father passing, that part is the only hard life event in the book). The parts where things get more interesting: For instance living in New York, working as an intern with no income. I cannot imagine that life was as easy as it appears in the book. And that's with almost every story: It's too shallow. I do appreciate the positive vibe in the book, but, without the dirt, life has to offer the questions for the readers to answer, feel out of place. Since it is such a quick read, I would not have minded another 60 or so pages to make space for more real-life experiences.
The book is all about not being afraid to try new things. I liked that they stressed it is okay to fail and  failure is the best teacher. You will never know if you do not try it.
3 out of 5

**OMG!  I cannot believe that these reviews haven't been done!  I am so sorry they are so late!!!**
I really wanted to love this story, as I love tuning in to watch Restored by the Fords! I appreciate and commend the positive message and the hard work, but felt  like the content was just okay. Steve and Leanne take turns sharing short stories and insights, all throughout the book. There are some great moments, but overall it felt like something was missing.
I  My best friend introduced me to Leanne& Steve’s Hgtv  show she said they are real talented the homes they work on our gorgeous and their fun.She was absolutely right getting to know their life’s story their supportive parents their go get it attitude how they were recruited for their tv show& their positive life attitudes  Avery inspiring  life story a lovely book.#netgalley#thomas elsonbooks.