Cover Image: Mother Knows Best

Mother Knows Best

Thank you to the author, the publishing house, and NetGalley for allowing me an electronic copy in exchange for an honest review.
Although only a 3, I did like it. My score is mostly due to predictability.

Clare and her husband want a child. Their first child, a son, died of a genetic mitochondrial mutation as a small child. Clare is desperate and finds a maverick scientist who has discovered a way to combine to women's DNA in order to remove the defective DNA. So essentially, the child has 3 genetic parents. Not exactly common practice and Clare's husband has "moral" issues about such an "experiment". So away runs Clare and the scientist with her pregnant belly. But, the scientist's assistant is held accountable and imprisoned. Guess what? Fast forward 11 years and she's out! And she wants her baby back. The baby who is now a smart 11 yo girl who is learning about DNA in class.
There’s only room for one mother in this family.

Claire Abrams’s dreams became a nightmare when she passed on a genetic mutation that killed her little boy. Now she wants a second chance to be a mother, and finds it in Robert Nash, a maverick fertility doctor who works under the radar with Jillian Hendricks, a cunning young scientist bent on making her mark—and seducing her boss.

Claire, Robert, and Jillian work together to create the world’s first baby with three genetic parents—an unprecedented feat that could eliminate inherited disease. But when word of their illegal experiment leaks to the wrong person, Robert escapes into hiding with the now-pregnant Claire, leaving Jillian to serve out a prison sentence that destroys her future.

Ten years later, a spunky girl named Abigail begins to understand that all is not right with the reclusive man and woman she knows as her parents. But the family’s problems are only beginning. Jillian, hardened by a decade of jealousy and loss, has returned—and nothing will stop her from reuniting with the man and daughter who should have been hers. Past, present—and future converge in a mesmerizing psychological thriller from acclaimed bestselling author Kira Peikoff.

A good psychological thriller about a controversial scientific experiment that involves genetically modifying an embryo to eliminate genetic mutations by creating a three-parent baby.
Thank you NetGalley and Publisher for this early copy!

Did not finish - I could not connect with the plot or writing so I decided to put it down.
Just the cover of this novel was so amazing that I was so happy to start reading it! A quick and great read. Suspenseful but also thrilling at the same time.
This book was soooo interesting and such a unique story! I’ve never read any other book with a story line like this and will definitely recommend it to some friends.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley.

The cover and title drew me in immediately.     The writing kept my interest.   The characters were well-developed and easy to relate to at times.
If you read the summary, you'll know that this book covers an extremely unique topic.   The first baby with three genetic parents.   Crazy, right?     There's a sci-fi element to the book, but don't worry..  the author made it all easy to follow and understand.

Seriously, read this book.   It was fabulous.
This sci-fi thriller came out of no-where and I really enjoyed it! This book had such an original concept - the first baby was made with three parents, via a lab (so extreme IVF). I was surprised by how well written this book was, and I even understood all the sci-fi talk (maybe because I'm familiar with IVF/IUI and infertility in general), which I really appreciated since sometimes science fiction books really just go over my head.
The twists in this book were good, even though I did see some of them coming, they weren't just lazy twists. I feel like this author could write some great thrillers in the future! I definitely recommend this book to thriller lovers because it was a really short and fast read, had some good twists, an original story line, and I just thought it was a well-rounded thriller!
🤰BOOK REVIEW🤰
Mother Knows Best by Kira Peikoff

-DESCRIPTION-
Thriller and sci-fi meets the age old question...how far would a mother go for her children or to ensure healthy children? And when the experimental research is leaked...what happens?

-THOUGHTS-
1. It was very fast paced.  A page turner.  Easy read with many twists and turns that you won't see coming.
2. I thought the characters were ok.  Many times I was frustrated by the mother and has a hard time relating to her.
3. It would make a great discussion group/book club book with all the ethical questions that come into play!

-RATING-
⭐⭐⭐⭐
I recommend this read.

-SIMILAR RECOMMENDED READS-
Miracle Creek
The Book of Essie
The Woman in the Park
This book was definitely a mixture of thriller sci fi for me!! From losing her child from an abnormal gene she passed on to him to meeting a dr. who is offering her an experimental option to having a healthy second child, this book leaves you questioning where are we going wIth science in this day and age and should we be a little frightened of it!!
Okay, so I will be up front and honest. I hate not being able to give at least a four star review.  However, I just could not get into this story even after trying a couple times. It didn’t pull me in or keep my attention after the first few chapters.
How far would you go to ensure you had a healthy child when you have a predisposition to a potentially fatal hereditary illness?  And how far would you go to protect your child?
This was an interesting idea and I enjoyed the story throughout. However the ending felt rushed and a lot of the actions the characters took in the final part made little sense.

I've rated it 2 stars but would really like to give it 2.5 as it did grip me until the end. 3 stars would be too high though.
Well written and enthralling thriller. Fast paced, believable characters, and good twists. This would make a great book club book, as others have mentioned, since it elicits so many opinions and thoughts.
Thanks NetGalley, Kira Peikoff, and Crooked Lane Books!

This is a perfect book for a book-club meeting. I can see how it would definitely spark some controversy from a moral perspective. As a mother, I understands Claire's yearn to make sure her child was healthy. I have to admit that her character some times frustrated me!! There are quite a few twists and turns that you don't see coming.

Overall, a great read.
A fast paced, hard-to-put-down psychological thriller. I stayed up way past my bedtime reading, and didn't regret the lack of sleep. Highly recommend this book, as it's  EXTREMELY well written.
This was highly interesting and suspenseful psychological thriller.  It explores the questions of how fa a mother will go to have a healthy child and how far she will go to keep her safe.  It kept me on the edge of my seat and there were a lot of unexpected twists.  I highly recommend this to fans of the genre and I look forward to reading more by Kira Peikoff.  Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the digital ARC.
"𝓦𝓮 𝓭𝓸 𝔀𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝔀𝓮 𝓬𝓪𝓷 𝓽𝓸 𝓼𝓾𝓻𝓿𝓲𝓿𝓮 [𝓪𝓷𝓭] 𝔀𝓮'𝓻𝓮 𝓼𝓽𝓻𝓸𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓻 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓲𝓽."

TL;DR:
What happens: Claire Abrams is devastated when her son dies of a genetic mutation. Fearing she will pass this on to any other child, she searches out Robert Nash, who helps create the first baby with three genetic parents. Thing go awry, however, when their illegal experiment is leaked and research assistant, Jillian, seeks revenge.
Plot: Really entertaining mix of science and thriller
Writing: Endlessly readable, great pacing, interesting back and forth chapters
Characters: Well-characterized, relatively complex

Pros:
-interesting bio-ethical concept
-super readable writing
-hard to put-down with some good twists

Cons:
-i'm of two minds about J; I like the concept but some of the characterization seemed over-the-top
-nothing really blew my mind- there's nothing to keep me thinking about this book after I put it down.

I received an advance readers copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review
In MOTHER KNOWS BEST, author Kira Peikoff puts a disturbing spin on the classic saying and asks readers to consider not only what it means to be a mother, but what it means to be human --- and how far we can push science to its limits when creating humans. Told from three shocking and compulsively readable points of view, this novel is equal parts gripping thriller, thought-provoking science fiction and emotionally taut family drama.

Claire Abrams wants nothing more than to be a mother. Like many women, not only does she feel her biological clock ticking, she constantly worries that her family will be incomplete until she and her husband, Ethan, can have a baby. But one thing sets Claire apart: she has a genetic mutation that she can pass on to any offspring --- a fact she knows all too well, given that she lost her first child, Colton, to her genes when he was only eight. Now, three years later, she is ready to give up --- until she learns of Robert Nash, a controversial genetic scientist who believes he can isolate the risky parts of her eggs and combine them with the healthy parts of another woman's. There is only one catch: any resulting child will, genetically, have two mothers and one father.

Even worse for Claire, her husband is morally and ethically opposed to genetic experiments on humans, believing all mutations to be a slight against the miracle of life. So when Claire finally meets Dr. Nash and his cunning, brilliant assistant, Jillian Hendricks, she keeps her choices a secret, believing everything will work out if she can just get pregnant. Together, she, Dr. Nash and Jillian steam ahead full force, resulting in the first-ever fetus created from one father and two mothers. But her decision, of course, has disastrous and devastating consequences --- for her family, the law and the future of genetic science.

Flash forward a decade later: Miracle child Abigail knows she is loved by her parents, but she cannot help notice their idiosyncrasies and whispered anxieties. None of them have a smartphone, her mother almost never leaves the house, and they live basically off the grid --- save for one outing to the city each year, when they celebrate the life of her deceased brother. Frustrated by her parents' secrecy, Abigail is delighted when she does a DNA test and uploads her results online, only to learn that she has several distant cousins, including one who is desperate to meet her.

With the past knocking at her door, Claire realizes that the jig is up. The controversial procedure she had done to create Abigail has kept her prisoner in her own home, but now another woman is involved: Abigail's other mother. Desperate to protect her daughter and wild with grief, Claire will stop at nothing to keep her daughter safe --- but then again, neither will her other mother, a woman who has lost years of her life to Abigail's creation and is ready to get back what she feels she deserves.

Alternating timelines and voices, Peikoff guides us through not only the procedure of Abigail's conception, but also the resulting media explosion, Claire's grief, Abigail's confusion and, of course, Jillian's fury. The scientific explanations are riveting and just believable enough, but never get bogged down in academic jargon, making for a fun but poignant exploration of the science of birth and genetics. Peikoff keeps her pacing tight and guides readers through the book at a breakneck speed --- all while debating such serious and controversial ideas as nature vs. nurture, the rights of humans to procreate, and how we can ensure that our children will be healthy without delving too far into the uncanny valley.

MOTHER KNOWS BEST is a fast-paced, intriguing novel with terrific, believable characters. Though it may be light on the science at times, it is never light on the suspense and will make for an enjoyable evening or two for readers of all genres --- especially during spooky season.
When Claire Abrams buries her eight year old son after he dies of a genetic mitochondrial disease, she vows not to have any more children so she cannot pass on the genetic mutation. That is until she hears of Dr Robert Nash whose pioneering work in genetics means he has found a way to create a baby with three genetic parents - meaning that genetic mutations can be eliminated.

With the assistance of Dr Nash and his partner, Dr Jillian Hendricks, Claire is able to conceive a healthy baby. But the science isn't exactly legal, and when word leaks out, Claire and Robert must go into hiding to protect the child they've created, leaving Jillian behind to face the full force of the law.

But ten years have passed, and Jillian is back. And she is determined to make Robert and Claire pay. Jillian wants the man and child who should have been hers, and she will stop at nothing to get them back...
Th story is told from multiple POVs, which I am always a fan of as it gives a more complete and nuanced perspective. I wasn't the hugest fan of Jillian's character as I felt she was a little too over-the-top villain for me, almost a caricature. That having been said, it was a unique premise, and I enjoyed the way the storyline unravelled.

I could have done without Claire's son's ghost, and there were definitely moments where you had to suspend your disbelief as a reader, but I think the author did a good job of ratcheting up the tension.

Thank you to NetGalley, who provided me with a free ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This book was fast paced. Hard to put down. It flowed well and it was very well written. It caught hold of me and had me hooked from the start . I was literally on the edge of my seat reading this book.