Cover Image: Mother Knows Best

Mother Knows Best

Wow! I've just finished this book and couldn't put it down. It was fast paced moving quickly between character's and time settings making "I'll just finish this chapter and put it down" very difficult. It will definitely leave you questioning what you thought you knew what right and wrong with the biggest question that faces all parents, how far would you go to have a healthy child? This is the first book I have read by Kira Peikoff but it won't be the last.
This was a very solid sci-fi, domestic thriller. Told in 4 perspectives,  Mother Knows Best is about what happens when scientific curiosity and ability is exceeded by vanity and greed.  Claire's life is thrown into upheaval after she agrees to participate in an illegal,  but innovative,  gene-manipulation insemination.  Her goal is an honest one: give birth to a child who doesn't inherit her fatal mitochondrial disease; the results,  however,  are farther reaching than she imagined.

I like that the story was told by past Claire, present Claire, her daughter,  and one of the scientists. Each character's motives were justified to the reader by the respective narrator.

The subject matter is definitely on trend, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this entire was a real case.
Review#58 MOTHER KNOWS BEST by Kira Peikoff and reviewing for Netgalley..
What could possibly go wrong when artificial insemination is done using three parents? Fast paced and an excellent story. I will be following this author! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Five stars!#Netgalley
A fabulous, fast-paced thriller that kept me flipping pages.  The science and research entwined into the story was perfect and made the twists even more thrilling and fun. I loved the characters, even the "unlikeable ones".  Fantastic ending!  Highly recommended.  I will be reading this author again!
Thank you to crooked lane books and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book. I am struggling for the right words to put into words how much I loved this book. Kira Peikoff hit it out of the park with this one. It was a twisty, turns thriller that kept me on my toes while making me think about bioethics and genetic engineering. Highly recommend and I am going to add her other books to my to-read list as soon as I can.
I have rather mixed feelings about this one. It is certainly a fast-paced read - though life intervened, I can easily imagine sitting down and reading this in just one sitting. But, despite its page-turning qualities, varied voices, I just never found a character that I really connected with. The plot takes some turns and relies on coincidental timing that crosses the line into the ludicrous. The genetic modifications described here to avoid congenital illness just don't seem very abhorrent to me... and the criminality seems like it's something that a lawful contract would be able to take into account some of the ramifications... The climatic ending fell a bit flat for me because it started to feel more like a plot ripped from Days of Our Lives... I didn't hate the book, and I certainly found it to be entertaining enough to finish, but it's not one that I think you should delve too deeply into afterwards because I am finding that the more I examine it, the less I liked it overall. The book is more like a medically inspired Fatal Attraction crossed with a soap opera. The characters never feel authentic and much like the villain, Claire to me didn't seem to be inspiring that much love (or even sympathy). But, if you are looking for a fast read, this does fit the bill.
Oh, this book was so good! It was so incredibly written! I had a really good time going on this adventure. Never a dull moment! Wrapped up everything so perfectly, didn't feel rushed. This one needs to be on everyone's tbr list!

Huge Thank You to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for this opportunity!!!
Her son died from a genetic mutation that was passed on to him from his mother, Claire.

Ten years later, she has a daughter ... free of any genetic mutation. How was this possible? It's a secret ... a secret that could put Claire, her doctor Robert Nash, and his assistant Jill at great risk. They have discovered how to eliminate inherited diseases ... but anything they do is entirely illegal.

When word of their illegal experiment leaks to the wrong person, Robert escapes into hiding with the now-pregnant Claire, leaving Jillian to serve out a prison sentence that destroys her future.

But Jill is now free .. and she wants her daughter ... and the doctor.

This is a complex journey into what could happen in our own future. The question is ... just because we can.. does it mean we should?. For every leap into the unknown, there are consequences ... and Claire, Robert and Jill are going to discover just how dangerous those consequences can be.

Well written, part science fiction, part crime thriller, this one is guaranteed to keep the reader glued to each and every page from the very first page to the very last. The story is told in alternating viewpoints and the pace never once slows down. The characters are somewhat credible ... but some of the story doesn't quite reach that level. An interesting and entertaining read nonetheless.

Many thanks to the author / Crooked Lane Books / Netgalley for the digital copy of this thriller. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Told from multiple points of view including, not one, but TWO unreliable narrators, Mother Knows Best has a unique perspective on manipulative gene therapy and its repercussions on the family. Readers travel briskly along two timelines to realize the motives (some twisted and some noble) that put a little girl's life in the balance.

I wanted more science, more suspense, and more... madness! Jillian was perhaps the best (and worst) part of the book and I don't think it would have suffered any by sharing more of her backstory. Intriguing and yet a little too predictable, Mother Knows Best is the perfect length for a cozy afternoon read that is full of suspense and an unexpected little twist!
This book got my attention right away and I immediately couldn’t wait to figure out what was going on. I love reading books that add some sort of scientific ideals to make the suspense stronger. This one deals with genetic modifications of embryos and I’m here for it! I think the characterization was great and the storyline was different enough to set it apart from other novels that might be comparable.

It did get a tad bit predictable in the middle, but I thought it was written well with a few surprises near the end.
This is a Sci-if thriller reminiscent of a Twilight Zone episode. A mother’s need for another child after her first child, Colton, passes away due to an inherited trait. Claire wants a second opportunity for a second chance to raise a child but does not want to run the risk of another child dying. She Pleads with a fertility doctor to try an experiment of adding a second woman’s genes (Jillian’s) with hers to have a baby. This story alternates point-of-view between Claire, Jillian, and Abigail, Claire’s second child. Keira Peikoff’s Book is fast paced as it explores the ethics of modifying reproductive science to have a perfect baby. It is a psychological thriller also as the book explores the effects of those involved. Many times while reading this book I could hear Rod Sterling in the back of mind saying “You have now entered....” Thank you NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for an electronic ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Very different type of book that I have ever read and I really enjoyed it! It will keep u on the edge of your seat. The title is perfect!
Thank you to @crookedlanebooks for this book, which was a really fast paced read and I devoured it in a single evening. I really enjoyed the multiple points of view and the current versus flashback narration. It was an easy read which liked even though I could perfectly guess the ending even before half way. I loved the writing style of this author. As this is about an infertility related situation, there is a bit more of scientific terminology explained but it did feel right in place to understand the concept of three parents for a child.

Yeah!!  That’s the synopsis - a kid with three parents and what happens when they end up in this situation without totally understanding the consequences.

Overall a good psychological thriller!

The review is available in my blog and Instagram:

Many thanks to NetGalley, Crooked Lane Books, and Kira Peikoff for the opportunity to read and review her latest suspense thriller - a great read!

Claire and Ethan are devastated when their son, Colton, dies from an inherited disease.  Ethan, an ethics professor, is desperate for another child; Claire is too but doesn't want to risk having another child with the same disease.  She hears about revolutionary genetic work being done by Dr Robert Nash and his associate, Jillian.  Claire eventually gets Dr Nash to use her as a guinea pig for his highly illegal project of manipulating the DNA to create a child from 3 parents' genes.  When Claire becomes pregnant, Ethan turns her in, forcing Claire and Dr Nash to go into hiding.  Jillian eventually has to go to trial and is sentenced to prison.  Ten years later, their child, Abby, starts realizing that her parents may not have been totally honest with her, leading to devastating results for all involved.

Told in multiple points of view in Now and Before timeframes, this is a book that will keep you turning the pages and thinking about what constitutes a parent or a mother.
I was so looking forward to this book , so when it became available thru Netgalley I was thrilled. The premised seemed interesting and I was not disappointed. Many twists that were predictable but that did not lessen my enjoyment. I loved this fast paced story.
Mother Knows Best was a fascinating mix of science fiction and domestic thriller. It was strong in scientific theory, but Peikoff kept it simple enough for those of us who may not understand all the science behind fertility research. The characters were strongly developed with the reasoning behind their decisions relatable to the reader. The plot moved very quickly and I never wanted to put it down. 4 stars
Can we talk about this cover? Because it is perfection. The braid, the title, the way the two are intertwined. I wanted this book before I even knew what it was about, and thankfully, the insides lived up to the out. A well-written, compelling read that blurs real-life science with fiction. I flew through this one!
I was so pleasantly surprised by this book.

Mother Knows Best is a psychological thriller surrounding the illegal creation of a child with three parents, created in order to avoid genetic disease. Claire Abrams has a rare mitochondrial condition which caused the death of her previous child, so she seeks the help of doctor Robert Nash, who is known to be capable of carrying out the illegal treatment. Following the conception of her genetically modified baby, the news leaks to the media, and Nash and his assistant Jillian are put on trial for illegal research and practice. This means pregnant Claire has to go on the run.

The book is set during that time, and also ten years in the future, when the child has been born and is a fifth grader. Looking into DNA for a school project shakes up new worries about her family history, and sets her on the path is discovering the truth that her parents have tried their best to keep hidden.

I really enjoyed this, and sped through the ARC. Claire’s character is so well thought out; I can feel the desperation for her to produce a healthy child. The concept behind this book is intricate and intriguing, and despite their being several medical terms and explanations included, I felt like I understood it all. The only downside I can see is that there weren’t too many shock moments, and a few predictable ones, but I was loving the concept and multiple POVs enough that it didn’t matter. Multiple POV is hard to do, but this book does it exceptionally well. Even with multiple POVs and a time jump, nothing was too confusing.

A brilliant concept and set of characters. Would pick up more books from this author.
My favorite genre is psychological fiction and often times books have the same type of plot done over and over again. Mother Knows Best had such a unique and different premise than most psychological fiction I have read.

The concept of genetically engineering a child to protect him/her from a disease was so interesting. Claire goes behind her husband's back to create a baby that has three parents so the mitochondrial disease Claire has doesn't get passed on to her daughter.

I gave this book 4 stars. The only reason it didn't get a fifth star was because it became a little far-fetched at the end.  Overall, an easy read that kept me on the edge of my seat.  Great book!

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Then: Claire and her husband, Ethan, are still grieving the loss of Colton, their 8-year old son who died due to a hereditary mitochondrial condition. Now the couple wants to expand their family and open their hearts to another child, but Claire is worried about passing her genes onto yet another child, only to meet the same fate as Colton.

So instead, Claire seeks out an experimental doctor that is using cutting edge science to prevent hereditary conditions via mitochondria. Instead of having 2 parents, Claire and Ethan’s baby will have 3. And since Ethan is against this type of experiment, Claire lies to him. Whatever it takes to get her baby, right?

Now: Claire, her husband and their 11-year old daughter, Abby, are making their yearly visit to Colton’s favorite place, in honor of the 21st birthday he’ll never have. But Claire is startled when she sees a familiar face that she hoped she’d never see again for the rest of her life. And seeing her sends Claire spiraling into a mental state that concerns her husband and daughter.

Abby is curious about her heritage and signs up for a DNA testing website. Her results bring up more questions than they provide answers to her. But when she brings up her results to her parents, their reaction isn’t what she would’ve expected. They don’t just seem surprised, but they seem concerned—almost scared, even.

One woman, two lives, 11-years apart. A past that seemed so far away is now coming back to haunt Claire after all these years.

Mother Knows Best by Kira Peikoff is a sci-fi mystery with a unique premise. I am always intrigued by books that involve DNA manipulation or DNA testing (like in John Marrs’ The One). I also really enjoy stories that center around mothers/pregnancy. So this story had the perfect recipe for pure enjoyment. But unfortunately it fell flat. I guessed almost every plot twist and saw where the story arc was going from the get go. I enjoyed this read but was left wanting more. 3/5 stars.

Thank you NetGalley, Crooked Lane Books and Kira Peikoff for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.