Cover Image: Cartier's Hope

Cartier's Hope

I loved "Cartier's Hope" so much more than I expected to! I enjoy historical fiction and romance well enough, but this story is so empowering. It's a wonderful reminder of how far feminism has brought us and how far we still have to go, all with plenty of sparkling jewels and decadence thrown in.
The story follows a spinster socialite whose secret is that she is also a well-known journalist by a pseudonym and disguise. When she discovers a secret about the truth of her father's recent demise, she sets out on a single-minded course for revenge. What she doesn't expect is to fall in love with someone at the center of her story along the way.
I highly recommend this book to those who enjoy historical fiction, New York City at the turn of the century, grand wealth and decadence (think "Crazy Rich Asians")...and a little bit of light bodice-ripping!
I have chosen not to read/review this title as I was not able to connect with it or recommend it to the readers of our blog page or those who follow my reviews on Goodreads.

I apologize for the delay in this, as sending the negative reviews is something I (clearly) avoid doing for an embarrassingly long time.

Thank you, as always, for the review title.

Laura
Something never quite gelled for me with this book.  I kept waiting to be drawn in more and I would get so close and bammo the moment lost.  I read an ARC (thank you Netgalley) and am hoping some of the things were cleaned up before final release.  Things like traffic lights being mentioned several times when NYC did not have traffic lights in 1910.  It may seem like a small thing to some but it stood out and added to my meh feeling on the book.
The Hope Diamond is in NYC and Cartier's has it.  Vera Garland, a New York socialite is entranced by it.  Her alter ego, Vee Swann, a reporter, is also entranced but for different reasons.  Vera must split herself between her two personas in order to not get caught as she protests injustices.  The Gilded Age had strict rules for what was expected of the upper society women and protesting was not one of them.  The book could not find it's focus and the flow was off as a result.   I want historical fiction that draws me and makes me learn more.  This book did neither.

Thank you Netgalley for the ARC.
This is the second book I have read recently set in a similar time period that deals with women fighting for a right to be more than they are allowed to be & this was well written & researched. I felt like I was in NYC during the early 1900s sneaking around with Vera being a reporter. This book has intrigue, romance, & a great relationship between a daughter & her father. I recommend reading this book!
Cartier’s Hope takes place in New York City during the Gilded Age in 1910. The main character, Vera, is a socialite from an upper class merchant family but has a secret life an investigative journalist called Vee Swan so her work will be taken seriously.
Vera (Vee) explores the mystery of the Hope Diamond and its history and curse and its connection to the deaths of her father and uncle. She enlists the help of Jacob Asher, Cartier’s assistant and his mysterious past.
In addition to unraveling the mystery, the novel dealt with the different social structures at that time and how an ambitious woman has to deal with the male dominated society.
It was a great read – adding some unknown history in the process. Those that enjoy a little mystery with a strong woman main character will enjoy the book.
Thanks to M.J. Rose and Atria Books for an advance copy in exchange for an unbiased review.
Another beautifully written, well researched book by Ms. Rose.  I loved how she even tied in a little something from her other books.  The characters were well developed, the research of New York City in the early 1900’s beautifully described and she even managed to touch me on a personal level with words from a father to a daughter that seemed to have been written just for me. I look forward to reading Ms. Roses’s next book - whatever that may be.
I thought this was really good. It has a lot going on. There is the fight for equality for women and better treatment for factory workers, there is a bit of a mystery, there are same sex relationships, a love story, and, like Pandora's box, it all ends with hope.

This tells the story of a woman from the upper echelons of society who takes on an alternate persona in order to pursue a career in journalism without bringing shame to her family. When the desire to seek revenge takes over as her first priority, Vera needs to reevaluate her motives. Does revenge really take precedence over everything? Or is there something more important that she may lose in its pursuit?

It's entertaining and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
This was another outstanding book by the author M.J Rose.  This one touched on many of societies issues in the late 1800"s and early 1900"s.  The characters were will formed and you could relate to them.  The many threads that were woven together kept the reader on their toes.  This was a interesting look in the lives of the characters during a fast changing time.  A wonderful read.
A very slow build, but a wonderful story of mystery and intrigue.
This story captures the almost taboo of women journalists in the early twentieth century. Vera, forced to take a pseudonym to protect her identity and family's pride. Still reeling from her father's death, Vera discovers dark clues that hint to his death not being .an accident, but a result from black mail. Black mail that could destroy her family and father's reputation. Vera concocts a clever scheme using the "cursed" diamond to uncover the black mailer. But along the way, she starts to fall for the jeweler that happens to help her along.
A beautiful mystery and romance in this historical tale.
Thank you for the ARC.
1910 New York City has not come to all of the changes that soon will happen but Vera Garland whose father was a well respected department store owner died leaving her the apartment on the top floor of the store. She loved her father very much and missed him everyday. He had a secret that she did not know until his death.
Vera is a newspaper reporter under the name of Vee Swann. Her family knows but not many others do. She goes to Cartier's Jewelry store with her sister one day and sees the Hope diamond. Eventually it gives her an idea for a story. The book is about Vera and her alter self Vee and of course, the Hope diamond. Learn about both as you read the story seeing what Vera has yet to learn about herself and those she loves.
Thanks to Netgalley for an advanced reader copy.

This is a huge departure from my normal style of books, but i really enjoyed this story about the Hope diamond. I particularly liked the time period and the vintage NYC setting.
The premise of the story sounded very interesting to me. Set amongst the backdrop of NYC Gilded age .
Mystery,romance,family secrets,lush wealth,the Hope Diamond. It all make for a compelling historical read. Vivid descriptions and lush writing make this a sure fire winner!

Published January 28th 2020 by Atria Books
I was given a complimentary copy. Thank you.
All opinions expressed are my own.
**Thank you to Atria Books for the free copy!**
⁣
CARTIER’S HOPE falls into my *unexpected delight* category and, while it is my first experience with author M. J. Rose, it will not be my last. The historical part of this novel was both fascinating and highly intriguing. An infamous jewel, the Hope Diamond, and it’s sketchy backstory?! Yes, please! I also truly loved the protagonist, Vera, who loves nothing more than challenging the status quo and fiercely protecting those around her. ⁣
⁣
I’m not usually a huge fan of historical fiction, but this was such a fun read and I’m so glad I was able to enjoy it over an amazing weekend with powerful women by my side. Hope you all have a great start to the week!
I love New York and am always searching for new books to read that takes place in NY so I was excited to read this book when I was approved for it.  I've also never read any of this author's books before but will be reading the back list soon.  I like a strong, feisty heroine that goes after what she wants and I also like reading about the different social and economic classes and this book brought all to the table and more.  Some of the characters seemed really shallow and I guess that mirrors real life too.  I liked all the descriptive writing about NY and the Guilded Age.  There wasn't really anything wrong with it, it just wasn't a 5 star book for me.  I can't define what it was that kept it from being a great book, but it was a good read.
Set in a time where women were supposed to be submissive in a male dominant world. This book is somewhat historical fiction about a reporting chasing after the missing hope diamond while digging into the lives of New York's Elite. There were some descriptive moments about the couple having intercourse which is why I think it got in the Romance category.

Overall I had a hard time connecting with the story and the characters. I am not much of a fan of romantic suspense and historical fiction. Thats just my personal preference!
Wonderful book that captures a lively heroine and a  well known  legend. Amazing book, as are all of M.J. Rose's stories.  Thank your for the review copy.
Creating a woman reporter who takes her covering of women's interests and activities out of the ordinary, Rose has done an excellent job in Vera, who is determined to show that Cartier is not always truthful in order to increase the price of the Hope diamond.
Rose's book is captivating, with a heroine that you find yourself rooting for immediately. Family secrets, undercover identities, and mysterious gems -- what more could you want from a great historical novel?
I had a difficult time getting in to this book and in the end could not finish it. Perhaps later, I will try to start it again.
The period details in this book are what really make it a worthwhile read. From real details about female journalists to the working conditions faced by NYC’s desperately poorly underclass, Rose leans in to the atmosphere of the city in 1910 and crafts a story that is inextricably informed by her choice of setting.