Bad Memory

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Nov 2019

Second book I’ve read by Lisa Gray and I really enjoyed it. Love whodunnit/mystery books like this. Kept me guessing until the end. I love how fast paced it was and then how it just exploded at the end. A must read if you like anything with twists and turns.
I’m not sure why I took a chance on this second book in the series when I found the first one rather blah. I guess I hoped there would be improvements to pacing and structure and character development, but unfortunately this one was even worse than the first. I struggled through it and generally found all of the characters to be unlikeable, the dialogue unrealistic, and the plot flimsy. There were several points where a keen-eyed editor was needed including typos and one bizarre reference to “prohibition looming” which doesn’t even make any sense because the book takes place in the United States and bounces back and forth between the late 1980s and present day, both of which are incredibly far removed from Prohibition, which occurred 1920-1933. There were also a couple instances where something involving government procedure did not happen at all realistically and one of the characters would say something along the lines of, “even though it usually takes weeks to process the paperwork, I had it the next day.” Haha, what. Okay. Little things like that really threw me right out of the story and made me question the book, the author, and my own sanity. (Though, to be fair, I was reading an ARC, so it’s possible some of the issues I saw were fixed before final publication.) Even if some of these issues got fixed in the final version, it was still a slog to get through.
I decided to read this book because I loved the first Jessica Shaw book, Thin Air. I felt the different POVs added to the story. I would recommend this book and the other Jessica Shaw stories. I will now look for more by Lisa Gray.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley.

Overall, Bad Memory was an interesting read.   It was a tad predictable at times, but outside of that, I enjoyed this book.   I will definitely read more books by this author.
Private investigator Jessica Shaw is leading a quiet life in a Californian desert community, where she spends her days working low-level cases. But when a former resident asks Jessica to help her sister, Rue Hunter—a convicted murderer whose execution is days away—Jessica can’t resist the offer.
Rue doesn't remember what happened the night two high school students were killed thirty years ago, but everybody in town is certain she’s guilty. As Jessica looks for answers, she finds that local rumors point one way and evidence points another. And nobody wants to face the truth. Meanwhile, Jessica can’t shake the feeling that someone is stalking her—now more than ever, she knows she can’t trust anyone.
As Jessica digs deeper, she encounters local secrets in unlikely places—including the police department itself. But the clock is ticking, and Jessica must find the truth fast—or Rue’s bad memory may be the death of them both.

This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believeable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building that adds so much to the story.
Very thrilling read and I hope there is more to come of these.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
Another great Lisa Gray novel. I really enjoyed this one. I found it exciting, thrilling and a bit disturbing at times. Thank you Net Galley for the ARC, I will be recommending this one to my friends!
I requested a e-copy of this from Netgalley solely based on the fact it was by Lisa Gray and apart of the Jessica Shaw series. I blazed through this book once I had time to read it. I read 50% of it in one day. As I read this story I did not see part of the ending coming, which to me helps make a good thriller.

This book follows Jessica Shaw PI with a new case. Rue Hunter is on death row for a murder that happened. Her sister though has always questioned whether Rue really did kill her two best friends because it seems so out of character of her sister. Rue too now is wanted to know for sure whether or not she truly did with only a week to go before she is executed. As Jessica investigates she's finding more and more pieces to the puzzle that show small town too have their own problems and possibly cover ups.
I quite enjoyed this one. Even though it was book 2 of a series and I hadn't read book 1 I didn't think that this detracted too badly from the story. It felt like the book was a bit overly long during the middle section although this was made clear at the end when everything started to tie up. There were a lot of references to coffee!
I thought this book was okay. I thought the outcome was easy to figure out.  I liked the way the story went backwards and forwards in time.  The heading for each chapter made the timelines easy to follow.
I read this book straight after finishing Thin Air, the first in the series.  Both books were excellent, well written with interesting characters.  I love reading books about strong female-driven characters and this series doesn't disappoint with Jess Shaw as the protagonist.  In Bad Memory, Jessica is commissioned to investigate the case of a convicted murderer who is days away from execution, has Jessica bitten off more than she can chew?  I cannot praise this series enough
One question - Why did she ever wait so long?
We may never know the answer but the plea to find the truth may have needed plenty of time to sort out fact from fiction especially in this small town.
Guilt v Innocence - What ever happened to the idea of 'based on the preponderance of evidence' and 'everyone deserves a chance to defend themselves in a court of law?'
It seems more and more these days we are seeing innocent people being locked up on death row for crimes they never committed and worse still they can't get appealed or heard without some type of 'celebrity or presidential' involvement. Why?
In Bad Memory it's all about suppression of the mind and how each character has a specific role to play but that doesn't always lead to murder and Jessica is determined to get to the bottom of this mess.
She must because lives are on the line including her own.
It's crazy the things people do to hide from the truth but in the end the truth shall set you free.
I've always noted you can run but you can't hide and that is never more fitting than right here.
The entire money at the root of all evil and the hiring out to find the truth is perfect.
A great new read by the one and only Lisa Gray.
Great story, Maybe not as engaging as the first in the series but engaging none the less. Looking forward be reading other books by this author.
Will also recommend this book to others.
I really loved Bad Memory.  Great story, well told.

As soon as I finished reading this one, I bought her first book to find out the beginning of Jessica's story! If you love American PI novels, where the story is against the clock, get this one!
I read book #1 in this series but my memory was a little vague. Luckily, it didn't impact my enjoyment of this book. It's helpful to read the first book in this series, but it's not necessary. The plot of this book is a stand alone read.

I was definitely impressed with this second book. I'm so glad I decided to continue this series. I liked Jessica's character and really liked the plot (see book description). I like cold case plots and thought this one was really good. It was fast paced and I liked how Jessica's investigation progressed.

I recommend this book and I'm now looking forward to a third book in this series.

Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC!
I enjoyed the previous novel in this series, Thin Air, and on balance I'd say I liked this even more. Although it is the second in the series, it could be read by itself, but I think having prior knowledge of Jessica did contribute to my enjoyment of how this book unfolded.

Lisa Gray's writing is still excellent and the pace of the narrative with its many twists and turns kept me reading. I figured out a couple of things before they were revealed, but it was really satisfying to see how it all came together. My only complaint with Thin Air was that the solution seemed to come a little out of left field, but here I thought there was the perfect level of clues and twists.

A very good series. Recommended.
Great book! Definitely a good sequel to the first novel Thin Air. Any fans of the genres would enjoy It. Would recommend reading the first book before this one.
Another great book in this series. I was gripped the whole way through. The plot was really good and so were the characters.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
Jessica Shaw is lying low, trying to live a quiet life in little town, USA.

And as everyone knows, little sleepy towns tend to have secrets.

Jessica is hired to go over a 30 year old case, Rue Hunter is on death row and is due to be executed in just a weeks time. Rue's sister asks Jessica to go over the case in case anything was missed first time around.

Rue admitted to the murders at the time but claims she can't actually remember what happened.

Jessica is racing against the clock, upsetting the locals as she overturns stones long left undisturbed.

Her personal life is also under pressure as things boil up to a satisfactory conclusion.

An excellent tense read by a Scottish author who has an authentic American voice.

Recommended.
Jessica Shaw has settled in Hundred Acres, California working for a longtime area PI. She is approached on night by the sister of a woman who sits on death row for murdering her boyfriend and best friend 30 years ago. She asks Jessica to look into her sisters case- she believes she may be innocent and she is set to be executed in less than a week.  I am very into this series! I love a good hard-boiled detective mystery, especially with a female detective! Very satisfying read!
Bad Memory is the second book in the Jessica Shaw series about a prickly Private Investigator working cold cases in small towns in California. I had enjoyed Thin Air and this was another well-rounded and carefully plotted thriller. While you’ll understand Jessica’s character a lot better by reading them in order, this story stands alone.

Jessica has been working as a PI in Hundred Acres for six months when she is approached by the sister of a death row inmate, Rue Hunter, who is facing imminent execution for a double murder over thirty years earlier. As a teenager Rue confessed to killing her two best friends at a local lover’s lane while drunk and high, but now doubts her own memories. Jessica takes the case, which upsets her friend from the Thin Air case, Detective Jason Pryce, as his former partner, who was subsequently murdered, was the Sheriff at the time, but when he sees the inconsistencies Jessica finds, agrees to help her before time runs out for Rue.

This was an excellent mystery, with an intriguing cast of characters, and enough clues that the eventual denouement felt satisfying without being too much of a shock. I enjoyed the different character POVs and flashback scenes without having any difficulty following what was going in. There was a little too much reliance on coincidence but not in a way that felt annoying. Gray writes extremely well, with just enough scene-setting and character description for me to feel immersed in the narrative without getting bogged down by extraneous details. She manages to wrap up all the disparate plot threads very cleverly and deliver a pleasing ending. I will definitely look forward to the next book about Jessica’s adventures.

My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the arc which allowed me to give an honest review. Bad Memory is available now.