Cover Image: Last Request

Last Request

Say hello to a brave new main character D.S.Nikki Parekh. A woman with a mission, that of protecting her family and keeping the streets of her home town safe. Neither come easy but then life is not easy for her, she’s a single parent juggling her family life and that of a police officer. When those two worlds collide she must do her best to solve not only the murders that threaten to tear her life asunder but figure out how to deal with the local Mr Big who is making his presence felt. The. author has created a greatly realistic character, one you can dislike yet root for as she makes her way through the mire of her life. I say dislike her in the way she treats those around her but that just the way she protects and loves them. It’s gritty, darkly realistic in portraying cities that have not only diverse cultures but also criminal elements. There are so many threads within the plot that all merge together in perfect harmony to create a cracker of a book. We also get to hear the voice of the murderer as they replay the murders, its a murderer that i never expected so kudos to the author for the ability to keeping us guessing. A new character that i hope we get to see more of so bring on book two
#LastRequest #NetGalley
Perfectly written thriller.
When human remains are discovered under Bradford’s derelict Odeon car park, DS Nikita Parekh and her team are immediately called to the scene.
Distracted by keeping her young nephew out of trouble, Nikki is relieved when the investigation is transferred to the Cold Case Unit, and she can finally focus on her family.
Nikki kept me hooked and forced me to read till the end.
Characters, dialogues and narration were best in this book.
Thanks to NetGalley and HQ Digital for giving me an advance copy of this awesome thriller.
A must read.
This is the first novel of Liz Mistry's featuring  D.S. Nikita Parekh, and I'd be more than game to read another one. In fact, I'm game to read any gritty mystery that has a strong and complex female lead at the forefront. D.S. Nikita Parekh does not disappoint in this regard. I find it interesting that some readers/reviewers had a problem with her. In this sort of book, I'd rather have a main character that divides opinion than one everybody universally likes. The former are far more interesting.
I loved that we got to have the killer's perspective in the book, an approach that I've seen in other novels, but not always this well done.. Will be looking for more from this author. Unbelievably, this is the first one of her books I've read!
Full review at https://www.shekillslit.com/2019/12/16/last-request-by-liz-mistry/
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Last Request is the first book in a new series by Liz Mistry. Released 16th Oct 2019, it's 352 pages and available in paperback, ebook, and audio formats.

This is a gritty police procedural set in West Yorkshire, featuring an ensemble cast and a multi-thread plot which is taut and well written. The main protagonist, Nikki, is fearless, female, intelligent, and irascible after growing up as multiracial in a lower income area full of crime, factions, and gangs. She's a DS after having fought her way up through the ranks, promoted after she'd cleared a high-profile previous case.

There are a number of recurring themes here including racism, domestic violence, drugs and gangs, and a long time serial killer who is watching everything the police do. The book is written in the third person, with occasional interludes from the serial killer separated from the main text by being written in first person PoV, in italics.

This is a very well crafted mystery and after the introductory backstory for Nikki and co., moves along at an accelerating tempo toward a dramatic (but not unexpected) denouement. I am looking forward to the next book(s) in the series. Readers of gritty procedurals won't be shocked or dismayed by the language or violence (or drugs, etc), but readers who are unhappy with strong language or content might want to be aware that this book contains both.

Four strong stars. I love the ensemble cast.
Last Request by Liz Mistry was just a brilliant read and I read it in 2 sittings. I was hooked from the first few pages. This is the first book I have read from this author and I loved it. It wont be the last book I read from Liz.

Last Request is the first in a new series featuring DS Nikita Parekh shortened to Nikki. She is a tough character and has a tough job to go with it. Plus, she is juggling raising two children and looking after her extended family. She is one tough cookie in this book and I loved her character.
DS Nikki Parekh and her team are called to a derelict Odeon car park when a human remains are discovered. She is distracted by keeping her young nephew out of trouble and she is trying her hardest to keep him out of trouble. Nikki becomes relieved when the investigation is transferred to the Cold Case unit so she can be there for her family and extended family.
Nikki is told the identity of the victim and she is drawn back to the case. The victim has a big link to her painful past she wants to forget.
The body counts starts to rise, Nikki is getting concerned what her colleagues will find out, and what she has hidden from her past. She has to try her hardest to stop this killer before they hurt or kill anyone else.

Will Nikki stop them in time?

Will her colleagues find out what she is hiding?

What a brilliant book Last Request was. I highly recommend this. Plus, looking forward reading more my Liz Mistry in the future

5 Star book

Big Thank you from HQ Digital via NetGalley and Liz Mistry for letting me read and review this brilliant book.
Last Request is the first in a new series by accomplished crime writer Liz Mistry featuring DS Nikita Parekh (Nikki). As this is the first book of hers I have read, I am wondering why I haven’t picked up any of her other books before now. What have I been doing and where have I been!?

Nikki and her team are immediately called to the scene when human remains are discovered under Bradford’s derelict Odeon car park. Busy Nikki has also been keeping her young nephew out of trouble and she is relieved when the investigation is transferred to the Cold Case Unit, so she can focus on her family. But after the identity of the victim is revealed, she’s drawn back into the case. The dead man is a direct link to her painful past. As the body count begins to rise, Nikki must do everything she can to find the killer before anyone else gets hurt – even if it means digging up untold secrets.

As is usual in a new series, this first book sets up the recurring characters and though there seemed to be an abundance of them, I didn't feel too overwhelmed! The author's descriptions of the setting were impressive and the pacing was spot on. There was always plenty going on and there was certainly never a dull moment.

Liz Mistry, a seasoned crime writer, clearly knows how to write a story that is compelling, entertaining and all-consuming, with characters that I grew to love. Although it was a wee bit slow in the beginning, the author’s characterisation was brilliant. I really took to Nikki who was feisty, bold, vulnerable and flawed, yet always real.

Nikki's partner-in-crime, DC Sajid Malik, also left an impression on me; he was caring, straight-talking and protective; a gay man living with his boyfriend, Langley, who ought to have been blissfully contented but is living a double life. I really appreciated the banter between Nikki and Sajid and I loved the way Liz Mistry's clever use of the Yorkshire dialect helped bring the story to life. All of the characters had a great part to play, whether or not they were likeable and all had plenty of audacity and spirit. Although Nikki was the main protagonist, I loved that some of the chapters were written from the killer's perspective, as this allowed the reader a glimpse into an ever darkening mind and hear the chilling voice of a true sadist.

Liz Mistry delivered an unrestrained and exuberant story of drama in this clever police procedural - a toxic concoction of harboured secrets, menace, evil and familial dysfunction. Taut and compelling, it was a cracking story and a book that I revelled in all the way through. It brought no disappointments and the clever plotting enabled me to fully grasp the situation and motivations of the protagonists. The masterful twists paved the way for an enthralling denouement. I would love to read more from this gifted story-teller and I am delighted to recommend this book

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from HQ Digital via NetGalley at my request and this review is my own unbiased opinion. Thank you also to Pigeonhole and Liz Mistry for giving me the opportunity to read this book!
A thrilling police procedural which caught my eye with its cover. My first book by this author, I was immediately gripped with the main character DS Nikita Parekh.

Human remains found with links to her past, led to her team to investigate. As more Murders occur, the race against time started with Nikki wanting to stay one step ahead of the killer.

My first book by Liz Mistry, I loved the way the writing drew me in. The characters were many and did my head in initially, but soon I could get them sorted. The writing flowed as the story was revealed one page at a time. The road of investigation had many twists, it was fun to see Nikki trying to find her way to get to the killer.

Nikki was the one who caught my eye. She was strong yet vulnerable. Bold yet flawed. But always real.

The first book of the series did make a fab read.
3.5 stars. I had not read this author’s prior series but looked forward to this book. DS Nikita Parekh Is your typical damaged protagonist. There is a big back story which is hinted at in this book, which is the first in this series. I both loved Nikita and frequently wanted to smack her due to her terrible treatment of her daughter and partner. I did appreciate the cultural diversity of the characters and that there were two gay couples. I would definitely read more in the series if they come.
A great start to a new series,  I was gripped from the first page to the last.

I'm looking forward to reading more from this series.
A new series and new character Nikki Parekh. Set in Bradford as is the authors' brilliant Gus McGuire series. Detective Nikki Parekh, mother of 3 children, is certainly a force to be reckoned with. She  seemed to be everywhere doing everything for everyone. A good plot and some downright nasty characters kept me on the edge of my seat.  Not sure I warmed to Nikki, but I did love the character of her sidekick Saj.
A serial killer  with a different reason. The writing was good, the suspense was well maintained. The only aspect I didn’t like was the self harming nature of the lead character. As I have not read the previous books I couldn’t follow the personal life of the protagonist. Overall a recommended book. 4.5 stars
Well written, fast paced, captivating crime thriller.
Interesting storyline with strong characters.
I was into it from the start.

I hope to read more by Liz Mistry.

Thank you to NetGalley and HQ Digital for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
Fantastic novel. Really enjoyed the introduction to Nikki and hoping that she’ll get a few more novels. Fast paced drama throughout.
Here is another great read by Liz Mistry.  DS Nikita Parekh struggles in her private life with being a single parent to three children, her sister, and mother who all need her strength and a stressful job in the police force.

Set in Bradford, this is a town that knows Nikita well, it is where her memories are and the people she loves the most.  Her eldest child, daughter Charlie, is very like her father.  He disappeared just as she discovered she was pregnant and she hasn't felt love like that since.  Even with two more children and boyfriend Marcus, she cannot get back to how she felt all those years ago.

A skeleton is found whilst builders were at work.  She discovers that it is her first love Khalid, who had not returned to his family in Palestine as she thought.  His father flies to the UK looking for answers that she cannot give.  Charlie discovers, via the radio, that he was her father and not a one-night stand as she had been told.

Alongside colleague Sajid, she investigates more skeleton's that have appeared over the years and they finally can work out how they are disposed of and the method used.  Even though she is officially off the case, it doesn't stop her from investigating every avenue.

Living on a rough estate she is used to drug dealers and others ruling the area.  Keeping her family safe is her main objective even if it means putting herself at risk.  Her desire to protect her family is at the forefront of her mind.  This is exciting with many twists.  I had to read it in a day.  I just had to.  All praise for the author.

I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are all my own and completely unbiased.  My thanks to NetGalley for this opportunity.
Watch out Bradford, there’s a new detective in town and she’s a force to reckoned with!

Nikki Parekh is a copper with a huge heart. She loves her family with no bounds but she is dedicated to the job and that is her downfall. Two massive pulls in her life but at opposite ends of the spectrum. I for one love the feisty Nikki, she’s someone I’m going to cling to as Mistry develops this series.

This is a cracking police procedural that suddenly out of nowhere we get a voice, the voice of a killer… a killer who knows Nikki… This killer has been operating under the radar, the question is for how long?! Can Nikki track this killer before any fresh victims are made to suffer and give their Last Request?

Meeting Nikki, Sadiq and those around them made me feel like I need to return to this community…soon!! It’s like returning to a northern version of The Bill! Can’t wait for the next one!
This book was fast paced. Hard to put down. It flowed well and it was very well written. It caught hold of me and had me hooked from the start . I was literally on the edge of my seat reading this book.
This is the first in a new crime series by Mistry. Her main character DS Nikita Parekh pulls no punches and is a determined fighter for her family, herself and for the victims she encounters. She is torn between family loyalty and problems, and her career. At times she is like a demented ping-pong ball bouncing back and forth from one thing to the other.

Kudos to Mistry for bringing an important point to the table about the lack of awareness the wealthy or any social class above the working class, especially those living in poverty, have when it comes to living a daily struggle. If you have never lived from payday to payday, struggled to feed yourself and loved ones or as in this case, had to face the miscreants of society on a daily basis - then you have no business judging those people or have the right to a sanctimonious opinion.

DS Nikita Parekh and her family have to deal with these kind of situations on a daily basis. It's a dog eat dog world and she struggles to keep her loved ones out of the clutches of the type of criminals who think nothing of maiming and disfiguring kids and young people.

To make matters worse her the majority of her colleagues treat her with disdain, especially when she becomes the main suspect in a murder case.

It's a fast-paced urban crime series with a strong female lead. Mistry doesn't shy away from uncomfortable truths our society has to deal with. The way she melds fact, fiction and realism results in a gripping read.
My thanks to HQ Digital for an eARC via NetGalley of Liz Mistry’s ‘Last Request’ in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first in a series of gritty police procedurals set in Bradford featuring D.S. Nikita Parekh.

When human remains are found under an Odeon car park, Parekh and her team are initially called in. She is relieved when the investigation is quickly passed over to  the Cold Case Unit allowing her to return her attention to dealing with her troubled nephew.  Yet when the remains are identified she is drawn back into the case and has to come to terms with her painful past. Then the body count starts to rise.

D.S. Nikita Parekh wasn’t an easy character to like as she was initially very guarded and prickly when first introduced though over the course of the novel Mistry did a brilliant job of revealing the foundations of her guarded personality and winning me over.

There was no doubt that Parekh is passionate about her community and determined to protect it and her family from the dangers presented by illegal drugs on the estate where they live.

It’s a fast paced story that presented some interesting twists and kept me guessing.

This is the first novel that I have read by Liz Mistry and certainly enjoyed it. Therefore, I have already obtained the first in her D.I. Gus McGuire series and will be on the lookout for future books in the D.S. Nikita Parekh series.
When the author of one of my favourite detective series starts writing about a new detective I just know I'm going to love it - and love it I did! Set in Bradford, human remains are discovered under the derelict Odeon car park and DS Nikita (Nikki) Parekh and her team are immediately called to the scene. Since the bones appear to be quite old the case is passed over to DS Springer ("the Spaniel") in the Cold Case Unit. Nikki is somewhat the "golden girl" since bringing down a trafficking ring which also implicated her old DCI. Springer doesn't try to hide her hatred of Nikki and when the body is identified with a painful link to Nikki's past she wastes no time in trying to sully Nikki's name. Fortunately Nikki's DCI, Archie Hegley, and loyal partner DC Sajid Malik have her back, and as the bones begin to pile up it looks like Bradford has a serial killer - one who has been perfecting their craft for donkey's years. Whilst trying to investigate "under the radar" there are also problems at home for Nikki and her sister Anika when drug dealer Franco makes a reappearance. Someone that needs removing at all costs. So can Nikki protect her family whilst stopping a killer? A single mother of three kids by two different men, my goodness, this girl has issues by the bucket load! Admittedly some of them are caused by stubbornness and her refusal to open up or trust people, but then the past has given her some pretty good reasons to be the way she is. Loyalty to her family comes above everything else and as the story progresses she becomes easier to like and understand. One of the things I love about this author is the way that the characters, settings and storylines are so realistic and current. She portrays the great diversity of the city with an in-depth knowledge and although grim and gritty in places, Bradford really comes alive in an accurate picture of society there today. The dual stories gave a never ending stream of action that meant I did not want to put this book down for a moment, and even the initial "getting to know" the main characters didn't slow the pace at all. The main plot was clever, and even though I partly guessed who was responsible, there were plenty of surprises in store in the run up to a great ending. I really hope that there will be more books featuring Nikki and her colleagues. There were lots of enticing hints in the book concerning events in her childhood which we have yet to hear about fully and which are just begging to be explored in the future.
A strong single mom is our protagonist who rubs people the wrong way and creates havoc when a body is located with a connection to her past.
Add to this mix is trouble with her daughter and her nephew with drugs that just compounds the problems already on her plate.
With hope there's faith and the fate must be determined as this case turns up more than a few questions while more bodies are being uncovered.
It's a quick paced novel that starts off extremely slow with difficult characters and twists to comprehend but once in you don't want to get out.
A great new read from Liz Mistry .