A Million Dreams

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Jan 2020

This is the first book I have ever read by Dani Atkins, and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was beautifully written and I did get choked up in places. I felt for both Beth and Izzy but I did find it a bit predictable in places and I found the ending quite odd which is my reason for the 4 stars.

Thank you netgalley and the publishers for an ARC copy of this book.
I've spent the past 24 hours extremely resentful of real life separating my from reading at times,  regretful that I didn't read this while I was on holiday and would have been able to read it in one sitting,  and regularly on the verge of tears, due to the sheer emotion and power behind the words of this book.

It has really got to me, and is easily one of the best books of the year so far for me.

A lot of the power and emotion I feel has come because I had no idea what to expect. The blurb gives very little away, and even the first thing to be revealed, not too far into the story, I think I appreciated all the more because I had no idea it was coming.  (OK, I had an inkling perhaps a chapter before but wasn't convinced, and I had the same realisations at couple of times in the book, but never more than a chapter before it happened).  And even if I did think i knew what was about to happen, nothing could have prepared me for the way it was written and the impact it had on me.

I was completely immersed in this powerful story, and its one that will hopefully stay with me for a long time.  It covers something that would be completely and utter worst nightmare scenarios for the two families involved,  and really does take you on a roller coaster of emotions.

I suspect I would have been crying for most of the book if I had my own children, instead I just had a massive feeling of empathy regardless and really did love all the main characters.

For this is an epic love story - but not romantic love, but of a mother's love for their child.   It is written from two perspectives and  from that you great insight into how both Beth and Izzy cope with a situation that I've never read about before anywhere.

A uniquely wonderful story from an author who always writes powerful stories that grab your heart and don't let go.

Or in short, it left me speechless, I have no idea how anything else I read for a few days will compare to this and just wow!!!  If you are a fan of anything with an emotional kick to it, you need to read this book.

Thank you to Head of Zeus and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
I enjoy stories with a hefty bit of emotion and a moral dilemma, so 'A Million Dreams' by Dani Atkins did not disappoint!
The story is based around two couples. Pete and Izzy are separated, but remain the doting parents of Noah, a much-wanted child conceived using IVF. Beth and Tim had just a few short years together and several failed attempts at IVF before Tim died of cancer; there is one frozen embryo remaining, Beth's final link with Tim, and Beth wants to try and conceive Tim's baby one last time - even if Tim is gone.
BUT, here's the dilemma; due to a mix up at the fertility clinic, Beth's last remaining embryo has been used and her dream of being a mother now belongs to someone else!
A very believable story in the modern day world of IVF, embryos in storage and designer babies. Inevitably human's err - but this human error comes at enormous cost to Beth.
The first half of the book was the most enjoyable in my opinion; it lost a little of its emotional weight as the story progressed which due to the very nature of the content would be difficult to sustain over hundreds of pages. Otherwise, a very good read.
I was given a copy of A Million Dreams by Dani Akins in exchange for an honest review. I have read other books by Dani before and this one definitely didn't, in fact I would say it's her best book yet. I can't say too much about it or it will give away the story. Its based around two women Beth lost her husband 5 years ago and Izzy would has recently split from her husband. Both were very likable characters and had their own problems to deal. This is a brilliant book, definitely worth a read!
One heck of a book!
Having been a fan of all of Dani's previous books I was prepared for this to be another amazing read, however I wasn't prepared for the emotions it would evoke in me and the intensity of the story.
I was drawn into Beth's and Izzy's stories immediately and didn't foresee the way their lives would come crashing together. Both of the characters were amazing and became even stronger as the book went on and you could really empathise with both of them.
This book certainly packs a punch and the author isn't afraid of a tough storyline and more than once had me sitting there with tears running down my face!
I totally loved it and the storyline will stay with me for a long time. Amazing!
Thank you to NetGalley and Head of Zeus for allowing me to read this in exchange for a totally unbiased review.
I've been in a bit of a reading slump the last few weeks but this book has well and truly brought me out of it.
I have loved every one of Dani Atkins' books so I was excited to read this book.
I loved all the characters and was very torn at times. I could empathise with both Izzy and Beth and felt for them given the circumstances.
This book was a pleasure to read and I can't wait for her next book.
From the time Dani Atkins had me reeling when I finished Fractured, she has managed to impress me with each novel she writes. So I was excited to hear about the publication of A Million Dreams. The synopsis sounded interesting and I couldn't wait to check it out. What I found inside was not what I expected and it kept me guessing the entire time.

At first, I worried the story would be predictable based on the initial build-up to the conflict. However, it went in directions I wasn't expecting. There was a Jodi Picoult feel to part of the story and I didn't know which woman to root for. Both were sympathetic characters who had compelling cases in their favor. I love how Dani brought about the Christmas mood at one point in the novel.

Overall, it was a sweet story about motherhood and love that was enjoyable throughout and carried a strong emotional appeal. The only downside, if I can even call it that, was that I kept getting a song from The Greatest Showman in my head. Quite the ear worm...

I believe I still have some other books of Dani's on my shelf that need attention and now I am even more eager to add them to my TBR!

Movie casting ideas:
Beth: Felicity Jones
Izzy: Laura Haddock
Pete: Gwilym Lee
Liam: Luke Evans
Dani Atkins has done it again. What can I say about this fantastic book. I just couldn't put it down and read long into the night as I couldn't wait to see how it would end. So powerfully written, emotional, poignant but heartwarming, this book pulled at my heartstrings - as all of Dani's books do.
Superb characterisation, I felt as if I know the characters personally. This book made me cry but also smile too.

I did not want this novel to end and can't wait for the next novel by Dani Atkins. Dani has become one of my favourite authors. I can't recommend this book highly enough. Fabulous.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review
Dreams. We all have them. Moving to a different country. Getting a mortgage with a killer rate. Become a pirate. Meet Taylor Swift. Be a mother. Find love. Win the lottery. Open a bakery. Feel free to add yours!

Beth and Izzy have led different lives. One is a florist, the other works at a vet’s. Their personalities shine and their voices are clear and poignant throughout the book. I could not help but fall for both of them, each tugging at my heartstrings in separate ways. I hate assumptions about women, that generalization which make us sound as if we are all the same. Dani Atkins did a perfect job creating two faces of a golden coin sitting on its fence.

Beth lives surrounded by the smell of flowers and the memories of a life stolen from her. Izzy is fighting for her broken marriage and wrapping her son Noah in a blanket of love as best as she can.

They have never met but their fates are intertwined. I swore at the unfairness of life. I found myself clutching at my Kindle in disbelief. I am pretty sure I walked through all steps of grief along with Beth, and felt a constant fear gnaw at me. How? Why? I am not lifting the secret veil to let you in on that!

What does it mean to be a woman? What does it mean to be a wife? What does it mean to be a mother? The author doesn’t give you computerized answers. She subtly gives life to days and weeks filled with hardships no one should have to go through. The aim of A Million Dreams is not to shout loud about how to obtain what you want or tell its readers that only one way is the right way. Dani Atkins is not pointing fingers, looking for people to blame, or giving lessons. Through the emotional journey that is this novel, she reminded me how strong women are. She also nudged me and said it’s okay not to be strong every minute of every day. She whispered in my ear that we are dealt cards and it is up to us to make the best of our hand. Sometimes it hurts, often it is confusing, but it also brings warmth and joy, days when things don’t look gloomy but blindingly shiny and hopeful. We learn from every day that passes. Our steps lead us to places we thought we wouldn’t visit.

I couldn’t let go of those characters. I was absorbed in lives that taught me so much. I felt safe, I felt outraged, I felt… everything so vividly thanks to an intelligent writing that pierced through my defenses.

A Million Dreams is a beautiful contemporary novel about the price we pay, the losses we carry, the smaller and bigger pictures of life. It is a novel about the importance to listen to your feelings, your instinct, and the power of love in all its disguises. I was left with a smile on my face, and the feeling those characters have made me grow in a way I didn’t know was possible.
I really didn’t know what to expect with this one, but it sure as hell wasn’t this!! Oh my goodness me!

Two different women, both connected by one devastating move.

Two strangers, both connected by the loss of their beloved partners.

One story, connected by the journeys of multiple people, all with conflicting and powerful emotions. Nevermind a million dreams, a million THOUGHTS went through my head reading this, with the main one being ‘what would I have done in that situation?’. Looking back now, i can’t help but think that that was a very stupid question of me to ask myself, because how on earth would anyone know what they would do about a situation they may never find themselves in? We can only surmise about situations, but can any of us really put ourselves in a particular position when our lives are completely different?

Tough one to answer. I couldn’t even begin to imagine what went through the minds of the individuals involved, even though as readers, we had more of an insight to personal thoughts than the other characters. One wrong move caused so much devastation, not just for one person, but many. A decision made by people who have a lot of faith invested in them by communities.

Dani Atkins is incredible. Her attention to detail in this book is second to none and her empathetic tone shone through her words like a beacon. Not only that, the way she described such a rare, yet life changing situation, was both gutsy and very poignant. Atkins didn’t seem to sugar coat the frustration, the motherly instinct, nor the fear of wanting to flee to protect who you love. Her honesty was outstanding, which just goes to show just how much research was done to get the storyline bang on.

As a reader, I felt as though I was intruding on such a personal moment, yet on the other hand I couldnt tear my eyes away from what was unravelling before me.

‘A Million Dreams’ is a story that will have you invested in its poignancy in no time. A story that will test your emotions, whilst also questioning your own choices. A story that puts grief in the spotlight in a way that rendered me speechless, and even THAT is no mean feat.

Beautiful beyond belief, and probably the best book that Dani Atkins has written to date – outstanding and life changing, I loved it. This is a book that is going to stay with me for a very, very long time to come.
Oh my word! Let me tell you.. This is one of the best books I have ever read!
It is extremely emotional and will have you in tears so many times but my goodness it is so heartwarming and just a beautiful read.
Absolutely loved these characters especially Beth, she is one strong woman!
This book will stay with me for life, a story I will not forget!
Stunning!
I loved Fractured so was so happy to be sent a copy of Dani Atkins’ latest novel, A Million Dreams.

The plot focuses on Beth and Izzy. Beth is a widow and longs to be a mother. Izzy is separated from her husband and they have young son called Noah. There are secrets in this book and the 2 women in particular are hurt by particular events.

I was gripped by the synopsis and loved the beautiful cover straight away. I KNEW I had to download it. I was sucked in by Dani’s powerful storytelling which was so emotive I found it hard to fight back tears at times.

The characters are real and the settings are so realistic I could actually imagine myself there with the characters.

I don’t want to give too much away as there are so many sensitive and meaty issues here that are dealt with sensitively and with empathy yet the pace was quick but never rushed and I was just hooked from beginning to end.

I did not want this novel to end and am looking forward to the next novel by Dani Atkins. Dani has become one of my favourite authors.

Huge thanks to Dani Atkins and Head of Zeus for my ARC in exchange for an honest and voluntary review.

5 sparkling stars.
A Million Dreams is absolutely gorgeous. The story is narrated by two women: Beth and Izzy and at the beginning it is not clear how their stories are going to relate to each other. Thanks to this dual narrative, I got to really know these two characters and I felt really connected to them, I understood what they were going through and how it affected them. So when I discovered how they were linked, it shocked me to the core. Their story really brought up so many emotions!

I think the plot for this story was really original and surprising. It made me wonder a lot what I would do in their situations and question what is right and what is wrong. Definitely a very thought-provoking story. I really didn't know how the story was going to unfold but I think the author made a magnificent job with it. I closed the last page with tears in my eyes but a huge smile in my face. A highly recommended read from me.
It’s a delight to be taking part in the blog tour for A Million Dreams, the latest book by Dani Atkins. My thanks to Vicky of Head of Zeus for the tour invitation and for the Netgalley copy to review.

There are two things that can be guaranteed with a book by Dani Atkins. One is the need for tissues. The other is that the reader is in for a heartrending read.  Having sobbed my way through a previous book (Our Song), I was in no doubt what I was letting myself in when I was offered the chance to review A Million Dreams.

You need to go into this unprepared and as the blurb gives the minimum of details, it would be unforgiveable of me to reveal any more of the plot. What I can say is that yet again Dani Atkins has created an emotional and sensitively written powerful story which has at its heart a dilemma of epic proportions.

All the characters are so well written they made a long lasting impression on me and my heart ached for all of them – especially the two women – Beth, who has finally realised her dream of having her own florist shop, but at huge personal cost and Izzy whose over protectiveness of her son Noah has shut out those around her. Both women find themselves in an extraordinary situation and my sympathies were with both of them but for different reasons.

Characterisation and pace is faultless, Atkins certainly puts all her characters through the mill and no-one gets an easy ride.  This may be a poignant and emotional read but there is a little touch of humour throughout together with a strand involving two characters that kept me captivated wondering how it would end up!

I did ❤️ this and I really want to say more but I daren’t because I don’t want to reveal something that could be a spoiler. A Million Dreams is currently only 99p to download on Amazon UK –  this would be a wonderful read at any price but for 99p, come on, you can’t pass this one by!
Oh I absolutely loved this novel from start to finish. As usual for a Dani Atkins novel, this one really tugged at my heart strings and I couldn't read too much at a time for fear of getting emotionally overwhelmed. Since I have read all of Dani's previous work I was prepared for this but if this is your first of her books then be warned, this can get a little intense.

I loved the premise for this story. It is almost impossible to talk about the plot as a whole without giving spoilers but this is something that you could totally see making headlines and totally see happening to someone you know. This also goes in directions you never even thought possible and I really wasn't prepared for some of the choices these amazing characters made.

I loved Beth and Izzy as characters because they were so easy to relate to and easy to find in your own friendship group and yet at times each of them think the other is the villain of the piece. I loved the fact that they had entire back stories of their own as well as true motivations to be the main player in this novel. I really enjoyed getting to know them and spending time with them and I still in awe of just how strong each of them is.

Although this is an emotional novel it isn't necessarily sad or depressing. I loved the feelings wrapped up in each and every paragraph and I definitely felt very hopeful and even upbeat by the time i finished their story. I loved going through all of this with Beth and Izzy and I am sure you will too.
Oh my giddy aunt, this book has broken me; in fact A Million Dreams hasn't just broken me, it has shattered me into a million pieces.  I have to admit that as a HUGE fan of The Greatest Showman, I picked this book up solely because of its title without reading what it was about and, even though Hugh Jackman's not even mentioned in it, I am delighted to say that it completely exceeded my expectations.  I was absolutely floored at the end of Chapter One and continued reading with a lump in my throat that didn't go away and resulted in tears on several occasions.

Dani Atkins has created two very strong female characters in Beth and Izzy who each have to deal with their own inner turmoil.  Beth's story is heartbreaking but she's so pragmatic that I couldn't help but admire her.  I wasn't really quite sure what was going on with Izzy; it felt as if she was pushing her husband away with no good reason to do so.  As their two stories intertwine, Dani Atkins puts the reader through an emotional wringer; not only was I predominantly heartbroken but I realised that I had also felt a myriad emotions ranging from devastation to hope.

I can't say any more without spoiling the story but seriously, take my word for it and read this book; I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed.  There are so many things to think about and I wondered what I would do in the same situation.  I know for sure that A Million Dreams is a book that will stay with me for a very long time as I've found myself thinking about it long after I finished it.

A Million Dreams is completely heart-shattering, incredibly thought-provoking and surprisingly uplifting; I'd give it a rating of a million stars if I could as scooping the full 5 stars doesn't seem nearly enough.

I chose to read an ARC and this is my honest and unbiased opinion.
There are some authors you don’t even need to glance at the blurb of their upcoming new book to know that you’re going to read it; Dani Atkins is one of those authors. I fell in love with her beautiful writing and most emotive and affecting storytelling back in 2013 when a little book came out that went by the name of Fractured – from then on in it has become a highlight of my year whenever a new book is released. But as a reader we all know that sometimes, even from our favourite authors, you don’t always click with a story, so whilst it’s always a most exciting time opening a new book from Atkins, there is also much trepidation… but I’m so pleased (and relieved!) to say that she has once again absolutely SMASHED it with A Million Dreams!

The blurb for A Million Dreams is brief – something you find with all Atkins books, and an author wouldn’t do that unless there’s a reason for it. Personally, I’ve found going in blind is the way forward with her books to get the utmost enjoyment and surprise from your reading journey, and as a reviewer I would also never forgive myself if I revealed more than an author wanted. So what CAN I tell you about A Million Dreams?

Well, A Million Dreams is about two women, two strangers – Beth and Izzy, who are to become connected to one another in the most unthinkable and devastating of ways; turning their world upside down in an instant and taking them on the most toughest, emotional and bravest journey of their lives…

But in spoiling us, alongside the above is another story… two strangers, Beth and Liam who are to become connected to one another by their losses and grieving of their beloved partners.

Dani Atkins writes about tragedy, yet in the most beautiful and uplifting of ways. It’s this winning formula that she takes on again in this new novel, however, one thing you can NEVER predict is which twisty road she’s going to take you down. I feel I can’t even talk about any of the difficult topics covered in this novel in fear of giving too much away, but what the author has done (again!) is taken on such a unique and unthinkable of situation – a situation that in today’s world would probably never happen but with anything in life, there is ALWAYS that fraction of a percentage of the unthinkable happening, which instantly asks you as the reader the questions: “What would I do?” “What side am I on?” “How on earth can this possibly be solved fairly?”.

A dual narrative by Beth and Izzy is used to tell this story, cleverly ensuring you have perspective on both sides – just when you wholeheartedly agreed with one woman, you were left questioning and looking at things from a whole other angle. I’m a woman, and I’m also a mother and this story tore at me; it was just utterly soul destroying to see these women go through this – a situation in which there was no fair outcome. I also really enjoyed the legal aspect in the novel, I’m a sucker for anything like this so found those moments really interesting – a new direction for Atkins that played it’s part extremely well. A Million Dreams would make a fabulous book club discussion; as I was reading I was often left wondering how opinions and sides would differ between parents, non-parents and also male views on the topic.

I don’t know many who can write about human emotions as well as Atkins; she gets to the deepest core of them and it’s this that ultimately goes towards her characters finding a place in your heart and you carrying them around for the rest of your days. Beth was definitely my favourite of the two women. Of course I truly felt for Izzy – you can’t not, and what I most envied about her was her nature – her pure honestly of just wanting to pack up and flee in that overwhelming need to love and protect her child. Beth on the other hand was much more of a mellow character but not afraid to fight – her generosity, heart of gold and braveness throughout stole my heart.

Yes, this novel is full of pain, angst and heart-shattering moments – you’ll be on a constant battle with choking back the tears, which mark my words WILL defeat you in the end, but there is also many moments of humour and a most tender, sensitive and romantic budding of a relationship between Beth and Liam – a character pivotol to this story and impossible not to adore. Atkins always creates this amazing intimacy within her writing and her characters, you not only feel you know what their thoughts are, but you sometimes feel you’re actually intruding on their most personal and intimate moments.

Dani Atkins storytelling of the most heartbreaking and unthinkable of tragedies has once again proved to be powerful, beautiful and uplifting; A Million Dreams is a tale of grieving, the very best of humanity, and LOVE in it’s purest, rawest and enduring of ways.

Whether like me, you’re a long standing fan of Dani’s work, or if you’re thinking about making A Million Dreams your first taster, I cannot recommend highly enough! There’s a reason why Dani Atkins is my favourite author, and there’s a reason why she’s won the Romantic Novel Of The Year Award back in 2018… all you have to do is open her books and find the magic of her words!
A book that redefines the word unputdownable, award-winning author Dani Atkins’ latest novel, A Million Dreams is a powerfully written, brilliantly told and absolutely outstanding tale of love, loss, hope, despair and courage that is so completely and utterly compulsive it will take over readers’ lives and have them thinking about this book weeks after they’ve finished reading it.

Eight years ago, something had happened to Izzy Vaughan and Beth Brandon and although this event occurred almost a decade ago, something is about to bring these two women together in a way nobody had previously thought possible before. Beth cannot remember a time where she did not want to be the owner of a florist. Having always loved flowers and having always been passionate about nature, she has always sought comfort in the beauty of flowers, however, today not even the brightest bouquet can cheer her up. A worried Beth has something she wants to share with her husband and she is absolutely petrified. On the other hand,
Izzy has got her own problems to contend with. Having always believed that marriage was forever, she thought that she was going to be spending the rest of her life with her husband, but in the last year, the affection and love which they had for one another has started to fade. The only thing keeping them together is their son Noah, but is a child enough to keep a marriage going? Should Izzy simply admit that her marriage is over? Or should she hang in there and try to salvage it?

As shocking events from the past come rushing to the fore in the most surprising and unexpected of ways, what will Izzy and Beth do? Will they take a leap of faith and make the right decisions for their future? Or will they always be haunted by their past?

A book that will break readers’ hearts and lift their spirits at the same time, A Million Dreams is a haunting, poignant and captivating read that packs plenty of emotional punch. A book that will take readers through an entire gamut of emotions, A Million Dreams is a stunning read readers will want to tell their friends about as it is a spellbinding, thought-provoking and mesmerizing tale that gets under their skin.

Dani Atkins is a fantastic writer who is simply brilliant and A Million Dreams is an outstanding novel that will take everyone’s breath away.
This is a lovely honest book that depicts a Mother’s love in its entirety.  I thoroughly enjoyed this pacey page turner and devoured each chapter. The storyline is a heart breaker that had me on an emotional roller coaster complete with plenty of ‘lump in throat’ moments.

Beth Brandon, a widow, decides to try for a much wanted baby by using her final stored embryo but due to a terrible mistake by a worker at the clinic she discovers that is was given to another couple Izzy and Pete, resulting in a child Noah who is now 8 years old.

A Million Dreams describes the dilemmas and almost impossible decisions that have to be faced head on. There are of course no winners or easy solutions in this situation with two Mothers fighting for their child. Emotions run high with plenty of agonising tears along the way. Heart strings are pulled in every direction as the two women’s lives are thrown together in the most compelling situation.

A beautiful book that I happily give 5 stars to and would recommend to readers who love Women’s romantic fiction. My thanks to Net Galley and Head of Zeus for the ARC digital copy  in exchange for an honest opinion. My gratitude extends to Julie Boon for including my review on her blog tour spot on boonsbookcase.blogspot.co.uk
Beautifully written, Beth & Izzy have an interesting connection, which is told so lovingly & with heartfelt meaning, thoroughly enjoyed it