Cover Image: The Silvered Serpents

The Silvered Serpents

I received this book as an ARC through NetGalley.

I'm going to start this off by saying WTF WTF WTF!! I loved this book but that ending has me screaming. The exploration of grief in this story is very beautiful. I had to remind myself multiple times that these characters are young adults. That their processes for managing grief are so different.

I have enjoyed Roshani's other book and her writing style a lot and I cannot wait for the next story to come.

Oh and I've said it before, I'll say it again. LAILA AND SÈVERIN ARE IDIOTS
Silvered Serpents is a strong follow-up to Guilded Wolves.  Chokshi excels in building lush descriptions of both setting and characters. The narrative is an elaborate mystery that weaves a spell on the readers. Lovely pacing and a surprising, cliff hanger ending.
Absolutely loved this! It was even better than the first book. Which I honestly don't say often if at all. Sequels or second novels in a series never seem to have that...spark that the first ones do. The worldbuilding is just as incredible and detailed as the first. The characters are still amazing and diverse. Pace...the pace...I swear I went through 30 pages and didn't even realize it. Can we say engrossed?
This is an incredible story you can completely immerse yourself in as a reader. The first in the series, The Gilded Wolves, was an incredible read and this sequel hits that high mark as well. The characters, world, and plot are very well drawn and engaging. I absolutely cannot wait for the third (final?) book in this series, as this book left me waiting to see what happens next!
I was skeptical going into this book because the first one didn't really grab my attention. I have a habit though of having to continue series and was fortunate enough to get approved for The Silvered Serpents. I am glad I stuck with it because this book is fantastic and dare I say better than the first? That is a rarity for me.

Thank you Netgalley for an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I just love the characters in this series! Zofia is still my absolute favorite, I would be best friends with that girl. She is so literal and I love that.

This sequel to The Gilded Wolves is much darker as the crew is suffering through their loss. I don’t want to give away to much of the plot because I want you to experience all the ups and downs for yourself.

I had a hard time with the story flow, but I think that had more to do with the format of the ebook. The worst part of this book is that cliffhanger! Oh My Gosh, Why?! I am going to have to wait so long to find out what happens, and it is going to drive me crazy. I want to know now! That is the hardest part about reading ARC and new releases.
In this sweeping sequel to The Gilded Wolves, Roshani Chokshi has proven (once again) that she's the queen of lush and rich storytelling. As if I was not madly loving and  overprotective of the characters already, The Silvered Serpents gave me more reason to (it's so hard to speak spoiler-free, oh god). I cannot wait for the third (and final?) book (but if it's really the final book, am I ready?!).

Full review to come.
Roshani Chokshi still has me captivated with her stories. They're so lush and full of life. These characters continue to jump off the page, and her descriptions are seriously to die for. This web she's spun for her readers makes me want to spend my days speculating what's going to  happen next, but knowing that whatever I'm imagining will never compare to her work.
This was such a good sequel! I love this cast of characters so much and I love their dynamic. This series has such an interesting and different magic system. The new setting was well thought out and the ending left me shocked. How long do we need to wait for the next book?
The Gilded Wolves was one of my favourite books of 2019. I picked it up and fell absolutely in love with the world and its characters. And The Silvered Serpents was no different. I read most of it in one sitting and felt so immersed in this interesting, atmospheric world, filled with suspense and character development. While I'm SO happy I got to read this early, it's also going to be such a long wait for book 3!
I have come to crave Roshani Chokshi’s lyrical writing, but it’s not just the writing that makes The Silvered Serpents excellent – as a second book, it more than lived up to the expectations of its predecessor. The Gilded Wolves gave us a tantalizing steampunk world with memorable characters and heaps of adventure.  The Silvered Serpents ascends the story to the realm of treasure hunting, secrets, and more than ever, the group races against the clock.

There is so much to like about this book, I’m faltering about where to begin.  A bit of context – I’m writing this review on Saturday at 5:30am, because I woke up at 3:45am and rather than go back to sleep, my first thought was, “You know what I could do?  I could read The Silvered Serpents.”  That’s how much this book hooked me, and how much I’ve looked forward to sitting down and reading it.  The story swallowed me whole from its first pages, and after that, it was so easy to traverse down into the belly of the leviathan.

For one, I love this cast of characters.  I know the crew from Six of Crows gets a lot of love, but I like this group better.  I love every one of them – from Severin’s icy exterior and desperation to Hypnos’ insecure flourishes, to Enrique’s lectures (he’s so precious) and Laila’s careful knowing.  And Zofia?  Zofia is one of my favorite characters of all time.  Period.  They all come to life in their own ways, have their own independent stories weaving in and out of the main plot line.  We got to know them in The Gilded Wolves, but they really get their footing in The Silvered Serpents.

Then, of course, there is the story itself.  I often criticize second books for their nature of offering a means to an end, a bridge rather than a story.  Not the case here.  The Silvered Serpents stands clearly as its own story.  The only exception to this rule is the ending, which is a major cliffhanger and I am absolutely dying because not only is this book not released until September 22 (I’m writing this review in May), but also, I have no idea when book three will be arriving.  And I’m certain there will be a book three.  There has to be.

But in regards to the story itself, I continue to appreciate the way each character is vital to its progression, and the way Rosh effortlessly weaves in subtle nuances and twists.  Her mythology and history adds to her world and while the setting of The Silvered Serpents is starkly different from L’Eden and the Paris catacombs of the first book, it is still marvelous played.  She finds the balance between artistry and directness in her descriptions, and balances out the intricate world with playful banter even in some tense situations, and generally the whole thing flows perfectly and I am just utterly in awe of her.  Seriously.  I’m so excited for all of you who haven’t read this yet.  You’re in for a treat.

Without giving too much away, expect the stakes to be higher in The Silvered Serpents.  Expect more obstacles, more duplicity, and more tension.  Come for the characters you loved in The Gilded Wolves, and stay for the sharp edges of this world and the secrets to be unlocked.  You won’t regret it.
In this the sequel to the Gilded Wolves, We travel with Severin, Laila, Enrique, Zofia and Hypnos to Russia to find a magic artifact that can safe at least one of them.
I liked The Silvered Serpents  considerably more than The Gilded Wolves, which was a fine action heist story.  I think the reason for that was the concentration on fewer point of view characters, 4 rather than 6, and moe time spent with Enrique and Zofia who are more unique characters, or have more unique thought processes than with Laila and especially the rather sullen and broody Severin.  I am a very character focused reader and if I can't connect with the characters I won't connect with the story, I did so here more than the first book and will as a result continue with the trilogy(?).
I also enjoy the writing style of this book, it is not overly flowery and the mystery is paced out well through out the book.
Overall I would rate this book as 4 stars.
The Silvered Serpents is the second installment in author Roshani Chokshi's The Gilded Wolves trilogy. The book picks up 2 months from where the first installment left off. The story opens with a Prologue from 13 years ago with a revealing secret regarding Séverin Montagnet, House Vanth, & House Kore which I won't spoil. If fairness, this was hinted to at the end of the previous installment. Séverin, Enrique, Zofia, and Laila are reeling over the death of someone Séverin swore to protect.

The Silvered Serpents deep dives into the character's emotional lives and the repercussions of the notable death at the end of the first book. As a reminder, the Order of Babel hired Séverin and his crew to find the Fallen House's treasure trove. They have done so to a point. The Fallen House has shown their cards and it's not the last time we will hear from them. To top everything off, The Divine Lyrics holds the secrets of joining the world's Babel fragments which would cause irreparable damage to the world.

Séverin summons his crew back to L’Eden with the news that he’s discovered a clue that could lead them to the Fallen House’s store of hidden treasure - including the Divine Lyrics. It's fair to say that this Séverin is not the one you've met in the opening installment. Séverin's urgently needs to find the Divine Lyrics which might lead to godhood for himself and his friends. The idea of attaining godhood for himself and his friends leads him to doing some very bizarre and terrible things including making a deal with the devil. This group heads off to St. Petersburg, Russia, Siberia, and the Sleeping Palace which is expected to host the Winter Enclave in a matter of weeks.

Meanwhile, Laila, who can read an object's history, is literally running out of time. She has 21 days before her 20th birthday in which magic used to forge her comes unraveled and she'll no longer exist. Though she's resolved to tell no one about the whole dying thing, her resolve is starting to falter. Laila needs The Divine Lyrics in order to live. She was told all she needs to do is open the book in order to find a way to live past her 20th birthday. Laila also may be the key to opening the book.

Enrique is trying his hardest to fit in with the Illustrados, only he’s not having much by way of success. Then there’s his relationship with Hypnos, who seems more interested in being included as a fully-fledged member of the L’Eden Gang than he is in Enrique. Zofia is back in Poland tending to her gravely ill sister Hela, and is ready to quit the gang altogether. The L'Eden gang is on the verge of dissolution but Zofia desperately needs the money to send back to her sister.

As the team struggles to come back together to find a mysterious book that could be their salvation...or their downfall, there are old enemies, new enemies and twist and shocking surprises that await them in Russia. There's some really horrible surprises in store for this group which leaves a rather large hole in my heart until I am able to read the sequel.
I honestly don't know if I am reading a different series to everyone else because I seem to be missing the wow factor in these books. After reading The Gilded Wolves I was intrigued to see where the story went and how it developed, but The Silvered Serpents did not impress me.

I found the book boring and many elements just slapped together. Only the last 10% of the book had me on the edge of my seat. For me, that last bit really saved the book and pulled it all together. It went from being a 1 or 2 star read to a 3 star in the last few chapters. So much of the plot is based on all these weird mythologies, symbols and gods all smashed into one narrative based in 19th century France. It was a little hard for me to keep my brain wrapped around these weird concepts, like ice palaces, steampunk machines, Egyptian gods and forging.

I like that we get in depth looks at the characters in this book. I loved Zofia and Enrique's chapters. They were funny, had some awesome one-liners and kept the story interesting for me. However, Severin absolutely annoyed me throughout this entire book. He was sour, uncaring, rude and helped destroy his so-called friends. Initially I liked his character in the first book but this really put me off him. Laila and Severin's romance wasn't interesting in this book at all. It felt very forced. There was also introduction of other characters into the team dynamic and while they helped progress the story they felt superficial.

The plot was quite straightforward to follow, albeit a bit tedious. There were a couple of twists and turns that I really enjoyed and it ended in a way that made me want to pick up the next book.

I will read the next book, or at least the start of it, to see where the story goes. As I said the last few chapters really caught my attention and kept it. Overall though the book could have just had those last few exciting chapters and a summary of the events that happened prior to that and it would have worked just as well, instead of being dragged out and confusing.

This book just wasn't for me unfortunately!
Where do I even start with this book? Besides to scream in rage at yet another cliffhanger!!

Séverin, Laila, Enrique, and Zofia are all dealing with their grief over the death of Tristan, but none of them are especially healthy in their coping methods. Séverin has ripped apart the garden his brother grew and made a garden of mirrors that show images because he can’t stand to look at his own face. Laila is still dancing, but when she sleeps with someone she’s taken to telling them that she’s dying in the hopes one day she’ll be able to tell the people she actually cares about. Enrique has been focused on being accepted into the Insturados and just wants his thoughts and learnings to be heard. Zofia had gone back to Poland because her sister, Hela, is sick and Zofia has to help pay for her care. But when Séverin gets a new lead for the Divine Lyrics, he makes it so the band is back together for one final acquisition.

This book honestly breaks my heart repeatedly and barely offers any glue to put the pieces back together. It aches to see Séverin especially dealing with his grief, and there are mentions of the fathers he and Tristan once had, but with a new understanding of Tristan. Séverin is also zealous in his pursuit of the Divine Lyrics because he hopes by becoming a god, a divine being, he can undo his mistakes and bring Tristan back.

One of the things I especially enjoy with this book, and series, is the discussions of colonialism and racism. There’s several lines about how history is taken by western colonizers and forgotten because they hide it away in museums. There’s also really great discussions about how colorism and racism play a part in how people are perceived. Both Séverin and Hypnos are mixed Black boys, but because Séverin has a lighter complexion he is able to get to places Hypnos is not as welcome. There’s also themes of belonging because Enrique is the child of Spanish and Filipino parents, but has more Spanish (European) features which, again, allow him access to certain circles, but he also navigates his Filipino identity through the lens of also being descended from their invaders. Just a lot of heavy topics addressed and I like the way these themes are addressed and expressed.

Zofia is still one of my favorite characters, and her neurodivergence feels relatable, as do her feelings of not wanting to be a burden for how her mind works.

This was another great adventure mystery and leaves me wanting more in this world ASAP. Chokshi does a fantastic job blending magic, mythology, and history into a story of ambition and love. Silvered Serpents with break your heart along the fault lines left by Gilded Wolves, but it is impossible to deny the love these characters have for one another. If you loved Gilded Wolves, this will pick right back up and leave you wanting more!
Thank you so much for eARC copy of this book. Unfortunately, I think I have lost the desire to continue with this series at this time.  I wish this book all the success and I look forward to working with you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Brittney
The only problem with this book is that it leaves you desperately waiting for the next installment.  I love all the characters and the story arc.  Can't wait to see what happens to Severus and the team.
“Maybe for girls made of snow, love was worth the melt. But she was made of stolen bones and sleek fur, grave dirt and strange blood – her heart wasn’t even hers to give. Her soul was all she had, and no love was worth loosing it.”

Earlier this year I read and adored The Gilded Wolves, the characters dove straight into my heart and there they will stay. I freaked out when this book became available for review and I continued to freak out the entire time I read it.

The Silvered Serpents is a fantastic sequel that was even darker and more magical than its predecessor. I loved getting to see more of this world and magic system, I loved that most of this book was set in Russia, it was so interesting and so different from The Gilded Wolves setting of Paris.

“To him, Laila was like a fairy tale plucked from the pages of a book – a girl with a curse woven into her heartbeat.”

By far my favourite aspect of this series is the characters. I love each character so much, each POV offers so much insight and plays such an important role in the story. There isn’t a character whos POV I don’t like, I never get any one confused, each character has such a distinct personality.

Grief plays such an important role in this book and each character deals with it in their own way, it was so heartbreaking and raw to see each character deal with their pain.

The romance between Severin and Laila is so full of angst, pain and hope. The way these two characters care for one another makes my heart swell. Severin and Laila have such a rich history and have been through so much together, they know things about each other that no one else does and they know how to help each other in such a deep way. I love every single one of their interactions, I care for these characters so much I just want them to be happy.

“Love does not always wear the face we wish.”

Hypnos, Enrique and Zofia all have such an interesting and complex bond, their storyline went in directions I wasn’t expecting and I liked it a lot, the banter they all have is everything to me. We got introduced to a few new characters in this book and I didn’t really like them, I liked what their introduction meant for the story but I didn’t care for them the way I care for our POV characters.

Roshani Chokshi truly has one of the most beautiful writing styles I have ever read, the way she writes prose is like no other and it took my breath away at times. Chokshi does a great job of discussing religion, morality, colonialism and so many current topics, it added so much to the story.

When I read this arc the release date was still set for February, it has since been moved back to September and after that ending I have no idea how I’m going to wait for book 3. All the twists and turns kept me on my toes, I never predicted anything and I am so scared (and excited) for the direction this story is going in. I’m also ridiculously excited to see the cover for this book, I know it will be stunning.

Overall, The Silvered Serpents is a wonderful sequel that had me falling further in love with these complex, well written character and this amazing world. I can now confirm that this is one of my favourite series of all time, I can’t wait for book 3 and for this book to be out in the world.
Ok, wow. Phew! I just finished this book a few minutes ago and I’m just sitting here trying to come to terms with everything that happened in the last 10%. This book was a wild ride!

The Silvered Serpents is the sequel to The Gilded Wolves, which was one of my favorite books of 2019. I was so excited when I got the arc of TSS later last year, but I also knew that I wasn’t emotionally ready for whatever was going to happen in this sequel, so I put it aside for a few months and decided to wait for my summer break to read it. Not only did this book wreck me, but it was definitely a worthy sequel to TGW and added so many extra layers not only to this world but to these amazing characters.

I do want to point out that I think I loved TGW a liiiittle bit more. Although I understand the reason behind it, I think The Silvered Serpents lacked character interactions and romance, which was my favorite part of the first book. I thought group was so funny together, and some of my favorite scenes from The Gilded Wolves were of moments between all the characters. Like I said, I understand the reason behind the lack of said scenes, but I still missed them.

This was also a much darker book than the first. The characters are dealing with a painful loss, and they all deal in their own ways. It was heartbreaking to see what Tristan’s death did to the group as a whole.

I also think that, although I thought this book had a beautifully executed plot, it dragged a bit in some areas. Some moments I couldn’t stop reading, meanwhile there were some parts where I do have to admit I had to force myself into picking the book up and continuing. But, the later situation didn’t happen as much, and didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the book.

I also expected more of the Laila being Severin’s mistress, since The Gilded Wolves ended in a way that made me expect this plot point to be an important part of the sequel. We got so little of this plot and I was expecting more from it! Quite honestly, this might be biased, but I just wanted more of these two together overall!! I felt like I didn’t get as many scenes as I hoped, and I was left hoping for more.

Lastly, like I mentioned in the beginning of the review, the last 10% of the book were WILD. I found myself gasping so many times. I honestly predicted a few of the twists, but I still enjoyed their reveal even without being surprised. The last 3 chapters made me so frustrated, nervous, sad and obviously excited for the 3rd book! I can’t wait to see where Roshani takes us next!

*i received an arc of this book by the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
I wanted to love this, but Severin is just an extremely annoying character. He pushes everyone away who is close to them thinking it is for their betterment. How can he lead people when he can’t even face his own demons?! I wish the plot was more focused on the puzzle aspect of the heists versus the emotional. It was a bit too dark for my liking.

Severin: French-Algerian. Leader of the group. Supposed heir to House Vanth.

Tristan: Severin’s foster brother. Botanist. Pet tarantula Goliath (yikes!).

Laila: Indian. Chef. Dancer. Can read objects.

Enrique: Spanish-Filipino. Historian. Bi.

Zofia: Jewish-Polish. Lab rat. Autistic? OCD.

Hypnos: French-African-descent. Heir to House Nyx. Enemy to friend.

Things I Liked:

Growth. We start to see the characters’ flaws and how they came to be the people they are today. We see their weaknesses, as well as, them overcoming their fears in the form of strengths.
Not everything goes right. So many young adult novels have characters with essentially no faults. It is nice to see things not work as they are planned.
The puzzles. I love them! It was so fun to try to figure the puzzles out before the characters.

Things I Didn’t Like:

People who think they can decide what is best for someone. Severin is a guy that you love to hate. He has the best interests of people close to him in his heart, but he doesn’t always execute in the best way. He takes responsibility for things he has no control over and let’s that fear of hurt for those he loves takeover his life. People can decide for themselves if they want to take risks, they don’t need someone else choosing for them.
Forbidden love. Man loves girl. Girl loves man. Man can’t be with girl for fear of hurting her and vice versa. This is so stupid! You’ll make things work with someone if you truly love them.
Dark. The Silvered Serpents was a lot darker than The Gilded Wolves. Readers can find more foul play, deception, and a look into the darker parts of the human mind.

The Silvered Serpents is a story about deception, love, and friendship. People who enjoy heists and a loyal gang of misfits will love this novel.