You Matter.

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 Feb 2020

You matter looks at the way you can build on your self worth to make a better life.  It's a really great self-help book, that covers a lot of the basics that can encourage yourself to deal with your worries and create a bit of self-esteem to build on.
It does touch on journalling and talks about murder and suicide and more and there are some jarring areas in the book itself, but that's ok.  Overall it was good.
This book just didn't do it for me. Maybe I¨m not its target audience. I don't know. I found it spent too much time talking about his life in California and not enough on talking to the reader. And the tone it was written in jarred with me.
You Matter is a self-help book that would be a good recourse for those stuck and doubting their own self-worth. Matthew Emerzian shares what he's learned in practical and applicable ways so the reader can start making changes and see the ripple effect grow into a richer life for themself. =-------

Many thanks to the Netgalley & Shambhala Publications for the advance copy.
This was a quick read, but I found myself feeling irritated the entire time. This book seemed like more of a memoir with an opportunity to name drop and emphasize his status than it did to communicate to people their worth. It read like a series of blog posts or a transcript from a cheesy expensive seminar under the guise to better yourself. I recognize that this is a harsh review, but I don't think there is anything about this book that stands apart from what is not only already out there, but what has been repeated over and over again. I think it is great that he found principles and values to live his life by, but this genre is becoming incredibly saturated with the same information. I won't be recommending this.
If Santa wrote self-help, he would sound like this book. Lucky for us, Matthew Emerzian wrote this book instead and I can't love it enough! This book starts off ordinary enough and I thought it sounded charming. But as Emerzian proceeds to tell his story, he has the most amazing experiences and outlook on life. This guy has obviously worked hard and found himself in situations that would make most of us feel uncertain and possibly terrified. Yet it's so clear that Emerzian is living from his deep core values of honesty, respect, and kindness that you can't help but wonder what crazy situation he's going to talk about next and how he is going to model being the best human he can be.
I usually quibble with inspirational books that don't spell out how to apply what's discussed in the book, but not this one. While the author is clearly an amazing person, he has given me enough inspiration for me to want to try even harder to live by such a strong moral code.
This book is no preachy: it's for any person to pick and help them remember who they really are inside.
I have already sent it to a couple of friends and it's already on my Best Books of 2020!
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book. A full review will be posted on Amazon and Goodreads
I received an ARC through NetGalley, provided by the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis:
Transform the way you live your life with a message of unexpected hope, radical joy, and deep connection.

You matter. Not because of what you earn or how you look or what you've achieved, but because you are inherently valuable. Author Matthew Emerzian takes this seemingly simple premise and shows readers how truly understanding their own worth will change every aspect of their lives. You Matter is a call to empathy and a joyous celebration of the value of each and every person.

The book is structured into three sections, each of which expands the concept in ever widening ripples. In the first section, "I Matter," readers come to terms with their own worth, in "You Matter" that awareness expands to acknowledge and celebrate the value of the people around us, and finally in "We Matter" Emerzian explores the power of a thriving community with those around us. Each chapter features exercises, journal prompts, and conversation starters to help readers dive deeper.

Author Matt Emerzian is the founder of Every Monday Matters, a not-for-profit dedicated to spreading the message of self-worth and compassion to people throughout the world. Every week 1.2 million people--from elementary school children to employees at national corporations--engage with ideas and concepts from Every Monday Matters.

You Matter is a manifesto of self-esteem and call to action for people to find their meaning and live fully--and change the world while doing so.

Review:
I have been studying psychology for 6 years. As a graduate student, this book was right up my alley. It isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea but it was mine. The book to some may read like essays but it was very informative on a subject that is near and dear to my heart - letting everyone know that they do, in fact, matter. The author encourages readers to look at themselves, look at their own experiences, and realize their worth. I can see reading this one again and/or having others read this one!
You Matter is a memoir, self pat on the back, by a man who says he wants to help others learn how to pat themselves on the back as well (thus its inclusion in the self-help genre).

Matthew Emerzian may in fact have genuinely turned his life around, and if so, I'm very happy for him. I also understand his excitement and zeal in wanting to help others. But in reading this book, I felt it had a strong tone of self-aggrandizing, and that grew to be really irritating. For me, this definitely skewed the balance of the book, making it more about Emerzian's story than about helping others. Not what I was looking for.

My thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for allowing me to read a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. Opinions stated here are my own.
I wasn't able to get fully into this book and kept meaning to read more. What I have read is very uplifting and I loved it. I can see this being a great gift to buy yourself to help yourself out or gifting to a friend.
In You Matter, Matthew Emerzian shares personal stories, suggested activities, journal prompts, and conversation starters to help you understand how much you and your actions matter. Some of the stories resonated with me more than others, but overall, I found this an inspiring read. I particularly enjoyed some of the inspirational quotes included throughout the text.

To get the most from this book, you need to allow plenty of time to try the suggested activities. Some may feel quite challenging, and others are good fun. I loved the suggestion to memorize an uplifting theme song and sing it often.

Try this if you enjoy introspection and are seeking to live with more meaning and joy.

I was provided an unproofed ARC through NetGalley that I volunteered to review.
You Matter is a self-help book on understanding your own worthy, valuing your uniqueness, and finally realizing all you have to offer the world. It is divided into three different sections; "I Matter," "You Matter," and "We Matter." At the end of each chapter, the reader will find exercises, journal prompts and conversation starters that will help with fully grasping who and what truly makes the reader happy.

This book and its stories made me smile, laugh, cry, dream, and above all else believe in myself. It is definitely up there on my list of favourite self-help books I have read over the years. I felt a connection to the message this book is conveying and felt I could relate. After a rough 2019, this book allowed me to see a clearer vision of the intentions I outlined for 2020 of living a more fulfilling life and practicing gratitude. I want to live my life, and so this book helped me to realize how to align with what matters in my life. Too many of us stand on the sidelines and watch life pass us by. There were also lots of realizations about human nature, as we often turn the other cheek and avoid seeing things. But we need to actually be the change. In my opinion, this book is superbly put together, and is written in layman's terms, so that anyone can relate.

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built, not what you got but what you gave.
What will matter is not your success but your significance.
What will matter is not what you learned but what you taught.
What will mater is every act of integrity, compassion, courage or sacrifice that enriched, empowered or encouraged others to emulate your example.
What will matter is not your competence but your character.
What will matter is not how many people you knew, but how many will feel a lasting loss when you're gone.
What will matter is not your memories but the memories of those who loved you.
What will matter is how long you will be remembered, by whom and for what.
Living a life that matter doesn't happen by accident.
It's not a matter of circumstances but of choice.
Choose to live a life that matters." - Michael Josephson

I would recommend this book everyone! However, especially to those doubting their place in the world. I specifically think the exercises, prompts and conversation starters are all super helpful and an added bonus to this. Sometimes we may not like the answers, but that is all part living a fulfilling life.

Thank you to St. Martin's Press for providing me with an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoy a good self help book as much as the next person, but unfortunately this was more of a memoir, and more of a "here are things that I have done in my life that don't really relate to self help". I found the stories not very engaging and go more and more off topic throughout the book.

Most of the book can be summed up in "spend time with other people and make them feel like they matter, and then you will feel like you matter".

I did like that he had practical tips and challenges at the end of each chapter, but overall this was not what I was hoping from for this book.
You Matter is about learning about how to love yourself, but also about loving others. I enjoy reading self-help books like these, not because I necessarily need a self-help book, but because I like learning new ways to better myself and how to better treat others. I say ‘these type of self-help books’ because they are not just about bettering yourself, you also get to learn about how the author figured out all the things they are trying to teach you. You get to learn about them and why they want to share what they have learned.

Each chapter of this book has one or two stories from the author, a way to take action, a journal prompt, and a conversation starter. The stories he tells about himself and the things he’s been through help you better understand what each chapter is about. The author gives you ways to help you take action and help others take action toward taking steps towards bettering yourself. Each journal prompt makes you think and dig deep into yourself. The conversation starters help you to include others in your journey.

I enjoyed learning about Matthew Emerzian very much. He talks about all the people that have changed his life and the lives that he has changed. He talks a lot about his wife and their marriage. The main thing he talks about the most is how it’s not about us, it’s about loving ourselves through loving others and I think that’s beautiful.

I highly recommend this book, whether you think you need it or not.

Thank you, NetGalley and St. Martin’s Essentials for an Advanced Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
A very hands on action based book on living out your purpose. Well written and very readable. He writes honestly of his struggles and his path to finding his true self by helping others do the same.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley.

You Matter was a different sort of book than what I'm normally into.   BUT, I wanted to give it a shot.

While the topic is truly important... You DO matter..  you DO have a reason to be here.      The book just fell flat..   and I don't think it would truly help anyone in their time of need.
Before I get to my review, I want to say you truly do matter. If at times where you don't feel like you do reach out and get help. it could be as simple as making a phone call to a friend or family member or you can call the national suicide line at 1800-27308255. They also have an online chat option if you don't want to speak to someone. You can find out more information here on their website  https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/ . The crisis text line is also a great resource.  Just text HOME to 741741.

Now as for this book here's my opinion. Pros : the author talks about his experiences and shares advice.   Cons :  it's just like any other self help book and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is going through hard times.  Now with that said, don't let this stop you from reading this book. Everyone has their own opinions :)   I am glad I received this in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.
I think that the best thing about this book is its title. I recommend that if you are browsing self-help books and this book sparks your interest that you purchase the print copy, rather than the kindle version. The whole purpose of this book is in its title: You matter. The author constantly reminds his audience of this phrase. I have not read many self-help books like this, so I don't know if repetition is common for this this type of book (personally, I was not a big fan of it). But I recommend the print version because then you will get that visual/phrase "you matter"... even if you don't even read the book! I read the kindle version of this book, but I think I would have enjoyed this book better in print.

I generally enjoyed the positive outlook that the author, Matthew Emerzian, has on life that he is trying to push on to his readers ('push' sounds negative, but I feel this is really an accurate way to phrase it. It's why I don't like repetition!)

Part memoir/ part self-help, this book asks us to think about what makes us unique. It talks about finding value in helping others. It talks about how everyone comes to their path of life differently, and how it is important to embrace it. The highlight of this book was reading about the relationships between people and considering how I can incorporate more positive interactions with others in my life as well.

People who are looking for a journaling/self-reflective approach will really enjoy this book. I was not looking for this, and honestly spent only a few minutes on each prompt before moving on. I enjoyed many of the author's stories, but since this is part memoir, it felt like a lot of the "you matter" stories ended up as the author's way of saying "I matter."

There were a few stories that rubbed me the wrong way. For one, the author talks about befriending an autistic man at his local swimming pool and how this man made such an impression on him. From his story, it sounds like they lost contact after the author moved- but it also sounded like their relationship started by text message, and that he should have been able to reach out before including the story in his book. It's probably weird of me to nit-pick at stories since Emerzian is using them to prove his points. At the same time, as a reader we only get these brief interactions and I wanted to know, "...but what happened to that person? What happened to the relationship later? What about those people you only met briefly and now claim to have a better life?"

I would consider this book a 3.5 rounded down to a 3- I definitely think that a book like this can inspire others to be better, which makes it an important read, but it wasn't the type of book I enjoy.

Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This book was a nice, general, self help book.  I love this genre, and read it regularly. Although I wasn’t particularly inspired by this book, there were nuggets of wisdom in there.  This book wasn’t written specifically for parents, but I found the reminder that “giving our attention is the greatest form of generosity”, to be an excellent reminder with my children.  I also loved the advice that “to have a friend, you have to be a friend”.  This was a really helpful way to encourage my daughters to build relationships.  Overall, this book was not earth shattering, but it covers the basics of being a good human.
I enjoyed this book. Not utterly life changing but there were definitely some aspects that I will be able to incorporate into my daily life.
I was able to read You Matter for free from Netgalley, the publisher and the author for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
You Matter is a quick read that will make you think about your life.  This book is about realizing how much you matter to the world and then taking that realization out into the world and making it about the world and the people in it.  The book is divided into three main parts: I matter, you matter and we matter.  It shows the power of friendship and living authentically.  I enjoyed "You Matter"! I'm grateful to St.Martin's Press and Netgalley for the advanced reader's digital copy.