Cover Image: Deborah

Deborah

I honestly wasn't sure about Deborah's story, I knew little of it and I was quite pleasantly surprised by how quickly I was drawn into it. I loved this look into Deborah's life and her becoming not only a prophetess but a judge in Israel. The immense study into life back then by Moore lends an authenticity to the story and brings the reader straight into the everyday life of the Israelite people. The oppression they were under by the Canaanites was shocking and sickening. I wanted the Israelites to rise up and take back their freedom. Training armies, being a judge and a mother, Deborah seemed to balance it all wonderfully. Her story is powerfully told and is one I keep reflecting on even days after I have finished it. Bold, powerful, and majestically written, Deborah Prophetess of God will leave you wanting more.
I received a copy of this book for via Netgalley; all thoughts and opinions are my own.
To preface, I don't normally delve into the Biblical in the Historicals I read, but I was given this one by the publisher and decided to give it a real chance. I was not disappointed.

I could feel the weight of this mantle that she carried. As depicted she was sensitive to God from a young age and was able to pray with a faith that I don't quite grasp myself.

The characters were very real to me as they were written in a way that anyone can relate to. I could see the turmoil surrounding them and the need for a strong leader. The story was old and yet fresh and new. I found it difficult to put it down as I wanted to learn more about this strong leader.

H.B. Moore did a wonderful job of keeping the tone and the reverence in the book. I can't imagine writing a book about someone who was mentioned in a chapter or two. By using the setting of the novel, the author was able to bring life into Biblical figures that may otherwise be overlooked.
I'm always fascinated by H.B. Moore's biblical fiction books because they bring these people to life, allowing me to visualize them as real people with real struggles, strengths, and weaknesses.

Deborah definitely has gifts, as all of us do, but she's humble, living a quiet life with her father and brothers. I loved watching her fall in love, rise to accept her calling in life, and becoming the woman she was meant to be, all while maintaining her dignity, faith, and gentleness. She's a legend and it's easy to see why, as her greatness is clearly obvious in this story.

The setting and characters are vivid and I felt transported to another time and place. A big thanks to this author for helping me understand this story better, making it real and relatable.

Content: mild romance (fade to black between a married couple); mild+ violence (times of war and self-defense); mild+ religion (as this is a Christian biblical story)

*I received a complimentary copy through Netgalley from the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own and were voluntarily given.*
I enjoyed this book about Deborah. Moore stayed true to the Biblical account and added a compelling backstory about events that might have led up to the events in the Bible. I found myself interested in this story and read the KJV version and a couple of other non-fiction sources about the events.
Deborah: Prophetess of God was a great read. I loved how the author's imagination brought me to this time in history and feel like I was right there seeing history unfold. Four and a half stars.
Opening line:
"Laughter echoed against the hillside where Deborah crouched as she watched the two dozen Canaanite soldiers set up camp."

Another fantastic Biblical story told by H.B. Moore. She knows how to weave setting, language and characters into a believable story.

Deborah is a woman from the Bible who scared off Canaanite soldiers, killed a lioness with a bow and arrow and later, became a judge in Israel and led them to victory over the Canaanites. She's basically a She-Ra in Bible times.

What I love about H.B. Moore's Women in the Bible stories, is that I want to know more about these women. I go back to the scriptures and I learn and come away wondering how I could've forgotten such an amazing story.

Keep writing these stories! The world needs more amazing women to write about more women.

Thanks to netgalley for the early read.
H. B. Moore did a good job in helping the reader view Deborah as a real historical figure, and faithfully followed Deborah’s story as outlined in the Bible.    I enjoyed reading about Deborah’s life  as it “might have been”.  Through reading this, I came to understand much better the times in which Deborah lived, and just how unusual it was for a woman to be a judge over Israel.  I was reminded again of Deborah’s great  faith and courage.  Her story is an encouraging reminder to me that God is always at work in the lives of His people, even if we don’t always see or understand how He is working.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
This book was amazing!  I actually felt like I was there - in the Middle East.  I love that Heather knows what it is like there - that she can write something so on par with the works in the bible!  I loved it!  And the romance was swoon-worthy and not at all inappropriate for a story of old!
I was not at all familiar with the story of Deborah.  I thoroughly enjoyed this historical fiction.  Moore did a great job of creating the time period & making me invested in the characters.
Deborah is one of the most fascinating people in the Bible. We only have a few pages of her story and much is left to our imagination.

I have read several Biblical fiction authors renderings of this beautiful story, and each one has its strengths.

This one is my favorite so far. It's not as dramatic as some, but I connected with it on a deeper level.

Maybe because the way Deborah hears from the Lord is something I can relate to. I have had similar confidence in an unexpected thought or idea, usually after praying.

It encourages me to read about other people who have had the same. Whether or not that was the real Deborah's experience, the author didn't come up with the idea on her own.

Maybe I enjoyed the fact that while we encountered Sisera several times, we did not spend much time with him. And we never had to go inside his head.

Sometimes spending time in the bad guys head is interesting, or necessary. But I prefer to avoid it whenever possible!

I like the list in the front of the book, naming the main characters and identifying the Biblical and invented individuals. This is a great feature for Biblical fiction.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to draw closer to God in their own life.

Note: I received a copy of the book from @netgalley and chose to review it here.
Where do I begin? I'd never read Biblical fiction until three years ago, and now I look forward to each book H.B. Moore writes. She makes these biblical figures come to life for me. I didn't remember the story of Deborah from the Old Testament but loved reading about her.

Deborah showed she had a spiritual gift when she was a young woman guarding sheep. She recognized where the thoughts and inspiration came from and how it helped her and her family whenever she followed the promptings from the Lord. She was blessed to have a husband, Lapi, who not only loved her, but respected her gift and followed her advice. Her father and brothers also respected her gift from the Lord. I loved that these men knew where her gift came from and listened to her counsel.  It was wonderful to read how Deborah became the Fourth Judge of Israel, gave counsel to her people and went on to lead them to a great victory over the Canaanites. This isn't just Deborah's story, the story of Barak's family is also woven in.

I always learn so much when I read these Biblical stories and this time I learned a small part of what the Israelites suffered at the hands of the Canaanites. I can tell that the author does a lot of research, and as I read I could picture the characters going about their lives. I love reading about some of the lesser known women in the Bible.

Thanks to NetGalley and Covenant Communications for allowing me to read this wonderful book. All thoughts expressed in this review are my own.
A decent story that fleshes out more of the Song of Deborah from Judges 5 in the Bible. I would have liked to see more about Deborah becoming a Judge and how she handled that. It’s titled Deborah but there was so much more about Barack than I thought was necessary.

I was provided with an ARC of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Deborah by H.B. Moore, 232 pages.
Covenant Communications, 2019. $17.
Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: PG13; Violence: PG
BUYING ADVISORY: HS - ADVISABLE
AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE
Deborah was the fourth -- and only female -- judge of Israel and is called a prophetess in the Bible. With so little known about her life, Moore offers this book as a suggestion of what Deborah’s life might have been like as she was prepared to help the Israelites battle the Canaanites for their freedom.
Moore brings these little known historical figures to life in this captivating story that makes readers remember that Bible characters were real people, too. While it’s very possible that none of Moore’s imaginings really happened, I found myself very invested in Deborah’s and Barak’s lives as they faced fear and difficult choices. Even knowing how the battle would end, I was hanging on to every word of the story. Reading the Biblical account and believing the Bible to be true are not prerequisites to enjoying the hopeful tale of Deborah and her people. The mature content rating is for mentions of rape.
Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen
Deborah by H.B. Moore, a great fascinating read. This book captures the imagination and gives us a story come to life of the prophetess Deborah.
Deborah - the only named prophetess of Israel (I think!). What was her life like, other than the one incident we hear about? How did she come to be judge, and what did that mean? What was her family like? This book develops a potential background for Deborah that answers all these questions in a way that is unlikely to be correct, but is perfectly plausible and didn't stand out as being against what the Bible tells us in any way. If nothing else, it's the sort of book that can make one think about the characters in the Bible as real people - and I think that can be a good thing, as long as it's not taken too far. If you care about veracity, the vast majority of the contents of this book is made up (I think the battle that we hear about in the Bible makes up about the last 5-10% - and it's fictionalised too) - but there's nothing that can be shown to be incorrect, as far as I saw.

All in all, an enjoyable story quite apart from the way that it brings Bible characters to life as real people - interesting historical fiction as well as Biblical fiction. Thought-provoking, well-written, and recommended.

Note that I received a complimentary copy of the book from NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review and this is my considered opinion of the book.
A fictional account of the biblical story of Deborah, the Fourth Judge of Israel, from Judges in the Bible. I was drawn into this story pretty quickly. While the main focus of the story is Deborah, we also learn about Barak, who is mentioned in the scriptures as well. We also learn about both Deborah's and Barak's extended families. There's a little bit of a love story for Deborah and Lapidoth, Barak's cousin, as well. The time also covers when Deborah is younger and the Israelites' earlier struggles with the Canaanites to when she is a grown woman, a mother and a homemaker, to when she becomes a Judge and the battle with the Canaanites and Sisera's death (pretty gruesome!!)..

My personal struggles with the scriptures is the language and trying to relate to the stories when sometimes it's hard to understand what is being said. I would love to read more scripture stories written this way. Even though this is fictional, I have a desire to revisit this story in particular in the Bible to learn more about it and re-read it with new eyes. As such, I was glad to see the inclusion at the end of the book of some of the King James' Version of the scriptures about so that I could see the scriptural account alongside this story as well to help put the story into perspective with the scriptures.

Moore's father is a biblical scholar, so I am sure that the research she put into this book was tremendous so that she could bring Deborah's small story (only 2 chapters in the Bible) to life as accurately and as realistically as possible!! I look forward to Moore's books, of any genre. I've only read 3 now of her scriptural fiction, but I definitely look forward to more.
I enjoyed this story of Deborah. It was entertaining and action packed. I was tired when I got done reading it. The poor Israelites suffered so much and I was getting anxiety anytime some one else was coming! The love story was so sweet but this was more of a story of a people and their leader. This is the first of Moore's woman of the bible I have read and I think I will read more. This is a story that could be read by any religion and understood. There is some violence and talk of what happens when a people concurs another. I would let my older teen read it.
Biblical history comes to life with this look at Deborah, a Prophetess of God. An ordinary shepherdess, encountering extraordinary experiences, submits her life to the will of God. Early in the story she admits to praying to God when questioned about how she does remarkable acts. While her prayers are commonplace to herself, others quickly recognize something is very different and special about Deborah. I enjoyed the creative take on what her life may have looked like as well as getting to meet her family and friends. Fans of Biblical fiction will enjoy this quick-paced story.
*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.*
This book starts out with a seemingly ordinary shepherdess named Rachael.  Her story is anything but.  She is courageous, strong, intelligent and spiritual. Rachael’s most important attribute is her ability to receive direction from God.
A second story unfolds regarding a young man, Lapi, defying the oppressive Canaanites by secretly training ordinary people how to fight. Lapi has the ability to protect Deborah by listening to promptings he receives from God.
The two stories intertwine, weaving a tale filled with love, adventure, and even war.  Triumph can only be achieved through God’s hand.
A great bible story brought to life.  I highly recommend this book.
I will admit I didn't know much about the prophetess Deborah before reading this book. However, now I feel excited to read more about her! HB Moore has written a gripping story that follows the life of Deborah, a prophetess. I really enjoyed the subtlety of her gift and how she is so strong, gifted with a bow yet feminine too. I really appreciated the whole balance to her character. I also enjoyed the other characters in the book and didn't realize until I re-read the front, how many were real persons! The story is engaging throughout, a lovely mix of adventure, sorrow, and romance. I know I will be re-reading this book.