Royal Street Reveillon

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Sep 2019

Greg Herren has been writing his Scotty Bradley series for nearly two decades. I’ve read a few of them and always find them fun and enjoyable, especially compared to a lot of the more hardcore crime fiction I read.

Scotty Bradley is a private investigator in New Orleans who lives with his two same-sex partners and one of his nephews. The stories are always full of quirky, unique characters, such as his stoner parents and his friends he’s dubbed the Lesbian Ninjas.

In the latest installment of the series, we find Scotty and his nephew, Taylor, attending a live premiere of The Grand Dames of New Orleans. The show is part of a franchise of reality shows focusing on the lives and partially fabricated rivalries of well-to-do women in major cities across the US.

But shortly after the New Orleans premiere, people involved in the show turn up dead. Scotty decides to delve behind the scenes of the show and hopefully prevent more of the Grand Dames from turning up dead.

Meanwhile, Scotty’s boyfriend, Colin makes a brief, but troubling appearance, possibly putting their unique family in the cross-hairs of international terrorists. Scotty turns to trusted family members and friends to handle the issue. But when the dead body of a Russian spy turns up in a waterway, Scotty finds himself in legal jeopardy.

Royal Street Reveillon is as exciting and charming as the city of New Orleans itself. The characters are fun, diverse, and sometimes larger than life. While on-screen violence is minimal, the story does bring up some very serious issues, such as conversion therapy and sexual assault, but does so skillfully without devolving into preaching.

If you’re looking for an entertaining cozy mystery, especially one set at Christmastime, you won’t do wrong by diving into Royal Street Reveillon. And if you haven’t already read my interview with Greg Herren, you can do so here.
There's just too much background info to keep me interested in the current story line. I think I shouldn't have tried to start with a book so far into a series.

Not going to post a review.
What a treat to be able to read a brand-new book from Greg Herren featuring one of my favorite sleuths, Scotty Bradley. It's been a long time since Scotty's hit the go-go pedestal, and he's settled down with Frank and Colin. Scotty's world is full of love, family, community, pride, and of course because it's a mystery - dead bodies! Herren's new book includes a murder from a reality TV franchise which takes place in New Orleans. From the way Royal Street Reveillon ended, it looks like we still have at least one more in the series. Thanks to NetGalley, Bold Strokes Books and the creativity and love for life of Greg Herren. 5 out of 5 for this favorite gay mystery series.
I liked this book, it's a sort of love letter to New Orleans and I liked the descriptions of the city.
It's a well written, entertaining and engrossing book that kept me hooked till the end.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Recommended!