Cover Image: The Neighbours

The Neighbours

Not for me unfortunately. I didn’t really like the main character all that much which meant I struggled to enjoy it all that much.
I'm a sucker for books about sisters and/or  friendships and The Neighbours checks the friendship box really well.  Two women, with an age difference enough for them to be mother and daughter, form a bond and help each other recover from setbacks and humiliation.  This book was funny, sad and heartwarming and really focused on these two women who have nothing in common become friends and learn what it is like to have real friends.  I would have like to have seen more character depth but overall I really enjoyed this book.  Glad I had an opportunity to read it.
This was such a lovely read! I quickly came to care for both main characters; recently cheated on, and as a result now out-of-work Ginny and her curmudgeonly once-a-famous-actress. Their friendship, which grows slowly and almost reluctantly, is a real joy to follow. It's a quick read as you become so invested in their story and such a pleasure to enjoy - witty, funny and very relatable.
Two women, Ginny, 34, and her downstairs neighbour Cassie, 55, join forces. PR Manager Ginny had just had her heart broken and lost her job, former actress Cassie is going through a social media crisis. They start working together to polish Cassie's image, which is the start of a wonderful friendship.

I really enjoyed this one.
What a nice find. This was the first book I've read from this author and I really enjoyed it. The story was different from anything I've read recently and really captured my attention. It was so well written and the characters were fantastic.
I really liked the idea of this and found it an easy read that tackled some tough issues (not all of them in as much depth as I would have liked). It’s about a woman who decides to help her neighbour, a troubled reality star, get back on her feet.. More in video: http://www.betterthandreams.com/2020/05/march-2020-book-reviews/
The Neighbours is a story about two unlikely friends who develop a great bond. It brings together young and old, shy and outgoing as well as friendly and a little bit rude! This is a well written, feel good story about two ladies who find happiness in their friendship with each other. It’s a great book to read if you need some uplifting literature as it made me laugh and cry throughout. I liked both characters and felt they bounced off one another well which helped to move the story forward. Would recommend this one.
Loved these characters. Such an emotional book with all the feels. Sometimes the subject matter was uncomfortable but such is life. At times very humorous and I would definitely recommend.
It took me a while to get to like these characters but once I did I really enjoyed this story. There were slower parts, but all in all it was a great read.
very cute book that i enjoyed over two sittings. there are some triggers, like suicide, that readers may want to be aware of. that one in particular usually turns me off a book, but i was able to look past it and still really enjoyed this book.
I found this very difficult to read. I did not finish it because it did not capture my attention.  The characters did not interest me nor did the plot. I was disappointed because this looked like a novel I thought I would enjoy. The plot seemed to drag on, and it was very easy to put this book down.
A wonderful and truly delightful read. A pure feel good book. Heartwarming! Definitely recommend if you are looking for a short and sweet read, that leaves you with a smile on your face.
The Neighbours by Nicola Gill is relationship fiction with a sense of humour. This is the story of two women with absolutely nothing in common, who form an unlikely bond that changes their lives. Ginny, 34, has lost her job and her boyfriend at the same time. Cassie, 55, is an actress of a certain age who has ruined her own reputation when she humiliated herself on television. The two women live in the same apartment building and, when their paths cross, their relationship permanently changes them, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the not-so-good. The Neighbours will make you laugh and it will bring you to tears, sometimes at the same time. This is a delightful and entertaining read and we can all use a little fun. Thank you to Avon Book UK and NetGalley for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I loved this book about neighbors who come together to help each other.  This was a fast read about a friendship that spans generations.
Although it took me longer than I hoped to get round to starting this book, as soon as I picked it up I could not put it back down. It was a really great read, with some harder hitting moments as well as some really heart warming moments, and I loved hearing about the lives of both Ginny and Cassie, and their unexpected friendship.
An unpredictable gem! On the surface The Neighbours by Nicola Gill is a witty and entertaining Bridget Jones-esque romcom about one woman navigating the emotional rollercoaster of life, but underneath it's a beautiful and honest testament to the power of friendship and the hardships that come with it.

Gill's writing is warm and authentic and I adored the unlikely friendship between Ginny and Cassie, but The Neighbours is so much more than your average romcom. Touching sensitively on issues surrounding loneliness, depression and suicide, Gill's book is full of heart, hardship and heartbreak as much as it is funny and uplifting.

A brilliant debut from an exciting new author who I'll definitely be looking out for what she does next!
I struggled with this one -- it didn't pull me in right away. However, there were some very funny parts and I did feel the characters were well drawn.
When Ginny finds out her boss & boyfriend are having an affair she is crushed.  But maybe what she really needed all along was a great friend.  Ginny meets her neighbor Cassie and life takes some twists and turns!

Great story if you're looking for something light and funny!
The Neighbours focuses on Ginny and Cassie. Although seemingly worlds apart - Ginny is unlucky in love and in a job she hates, whereas Cassie is an ex movie star who’s recent appearance on I’m A Celeb... have made her public enemy #1. Despite their differences, when Ginny reluctantly agrees to become Cassie’s PR, they both go through plenty of changes they would have never expected.

I wish we had had more from Cassie, more in-depth about her past and her depression. I loved her character but this would have really made her stand out. Cassie goes from one big mistake to another, I really wanted to give her a shake.

The book felt a little predictable at times, but I don’t know many romcoms with an unhappy ending!
It took me some time to get into the story but I really liked the friendship between Ginny and Cassie and how the tables turn and yet they are there for each other. Ginny's character growth is amazing, she becomes a stronger person but is still the Ginny we meet in the beginning. She doesn't lose her essence. Cassie's story was a bit sad in the middle of the book but it shows you how the world of showbiz works; one minute they will have you on a pedestal and the next you are being showed in the worst light ever.