The Perfect Birthday Recipe

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I received an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

What a delightful book this is! I read this with my 7 year old and we both loved it.
The artwork is absolutely beautiful and very detailed too.
The story teaches us that having perfection isn't everything and sometimes just the opposite is more fun if you take the time to enjoy things and have fun with others. The end result may not be what you wanted but was more fun and worthwhile.
My little one's birthday was on the 4th of December so the timing was simply perfect.
And talking about perfection, so is this story about friendship, about the need for control and the desire for things to be perfectly planned.

*cough* Some of us can definitely relate *cough*

Katy Hudson is a top favourite of ours, her stories always make us laugh, while the colourful & cute illustrations give such joyful vibes. The kid fell deeply in love with these characters and he is eager to hold the actual book in his hands.

(Oh!) how I adore this book!
I was that child hoping for the perfect birthday, disappointed by the blandness and unpredictability of the world outside my own head, so I hope that it will help the little ones truly enjoy their birthday as it comes.

Happy birthday, my little love!
#ThePerfectBirthdayRecipe #NetGalley Everyone can learn from Beaver and his friends. I loved Beaver's finished product, but I loved the lesson even more. Perfection is not what we should strive for. Cute story with a wonderful lesson.
The illustrations for "The Perfect Birthday Recipe" are fabulous, so much detail gone into each page. The story is great for young readers as it teaches about compromise and friendships.
Katy Hudson does it again! Beaver is having a birthday party and he's planning it perfectly. The problem is his friends prefer to have fun rather than be perfect. Beaver has to decide whether it's better to be perfect or a good friend. Wonderful illustrations and lovable characters make this book a charmer.
My 4 year old loved this story as a read aloud for bedtime! So positive and fun! She has a summer birthday as well so it will be exciting to see how she does with all the school year birthdays.
This book touched my heart. It starts with Beaver, who is a perfectionist in every sense and in whatever he does. He is thoughtful, careful and perfect. So his birthday is approaching and his latest project is to make his birthday cake. He has already planned what flavor every layer will be, recipe to bake each layer, the color of the icing on each layer and how is he going to decorate them. On his birthday he is ready with all the ingredients and tools required.

His friends are in awe to see his plan and preparation. They all want to contribute to making his birthday cake. Hence they all start making Beaver's perfect cake and this concerns the Beaver since they are not perfect like him.

They end up with a cake which is perfect for them but seems horrible to Beaver. He wants to redo his cake again. He starts preparing the cake from scratch again and his friends are gone. By the time he is done he is sitting all alone with his perfect cake. Then he realizes that being perfect is good, but sometimes imperfection gives more joy to us. His friends made a cake for him which was imperfect for him. But they were all together and that brought happiness to him on his birthday and not the perfect cake.

This book may be for kids but it gives a life lesson to us adults as well. We may want to do everything perfectly but the joy of life is also important. So sometimes just leave perfection and enjoy the moment. It is okay to be imperfect.

The illustrations are good and the book is a good read for the ages 3+. The book is wonderful for kids who are learning to read or started reading themselves since it has simple sentences and vocabulary.
Thank you Netgalley and capstone publication for the advance copy.
I love the illustrations in this book, they are whimsical and charming. The story teaches readers the importance of friends, and that things don't need to be perfect to be perfect. I enjoyed this story very much.
I received a copy of this arc from NetGalley for an honest review. The perfect book for little ones about feelings and patience. Lovely illustrations too.
Have you ever wanted everything to be so perfect that you miss what is really important? Beaver does in this story about the perfect birthday cake. A tale to teach us that everything that is perfect (in our eyes) is not always good and everything that isn't perfect is not always bad. Sometimes spending time with friends or family is more important than having the most beautiful dinner or following a perfectly laid plan for the day. Just being in the moment can be perfect.
#Netgalley
This is a cute little book. I like the idea of understanding that each person has their own idea of what makes the perfect birthday party and that people need to learn to compromise to truly make the best party.
Cute story that teaches the importance of friendship. Sometimes you need to adjust and and let go of perfection to focus on what is the most important things in  life.
This is the story of a perfectionist Beaver and his not-so-perfect friends. Their plan is to make a birthday cake and... well... it doesn't go so well. At least not for Beaver. Next thing you know, he's doing it all himself. The right way. Except, now it's a little lonely.

The illustrations are colorful and delightful. There's a nice lesson, but it isn't too on the nose. A good reminder for all of us perfectionists out there. (That's me!)
This charming book is about an adorable beaver perfectionist and it includes a very valuable life lesson.  It's a story about a controlling disposition, animal teamwork and irreplaceable friendships.

Beaver meticulously plans out his own birthday cake.  When it's all ready to be made his friends Tortoise, Bird, Rabbit, and Squirrel decide that they want to be part of creating it. With everyone pitching in (literally) the cake evolves into flavours that aren't in the plan. Beaver finds this totally unacceptable and finally Beaver snaps!

"This is the the UGLIEST, most DISGUSTING cake I have ever seen! he yelled.  ... "I will have to start all over again - ALONE!"

While his friends sleep Beaver labours over remaking his masterpiece and finally it is truly is his PERFECT birthday cake.

"Perfectly baked, perfectly iced, and perfectly balanced."

But when Beaver sits down to have a piece he comes to a startling realization... his cake is perfect but his friends are gone.  He has nobody to share his cake with.  What good is a perfect cake that you have to eat all alone?  He comes to the realization that the important thing is not his perfect cake but the great friendships he is lucky enough to have.

"The Perfect Birthday Recipe" is the fourth and final story in Katy Hudson's best-selling set of seasonal picture books, including Too Many Carrots, A Loud Winter's Nap, and The Golden Acorn.  The illustration are fabulous, full of expression, detail and colour.  I highly recommend this book.
Hudson delivers another terrific picture book for preschoolers. As always her illustrations are engaging, the text flows smoothly, and she writes about what kids care about most- Birthdays! Kids will fall in love with Beaver who wants the perfect birthday and has a hard time letting go when his friends want to throw him their own party. For older preschoolers, this would be a great read before a birthday to help set expectations for their big day. And younger readers will be delighted with the 200 carrot cake and the pickled worm in the cake batter.

Not groundbreaking but a book preschoolers will love and identify with.
Character Development:★★★☆☆
Beautifully crafted, but characters I’ve seen plenty of times as the message of this book is very repetitive in children’s books.

Flow of the Story:★★★★☆
Nice flow that children would be able to follow easily.

Illustrations: ★★★★★
Loved how the characters were illustrated for this book.

Overall: I found this children’s book to be very cute. It would make a great read during a child’s birthday week. My favorite part was the illustrations. I will be honest, I felt that the message of this story has been crafted so many ways that I felt a little deflated. This is coming from a child welfare social worker that reads tons of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) books. Other than that this book was a very cute book about birthday traditions and friendship.
The Perfect Birthday Recipe, story and illustrations by Katy Hudson was absolutely adorable. I felt completely transported into Beaver’s world with his furry and reptilian friends thanks to all of the perky, colorful illustrations with mounting details of his den and recipe book. I thought the story, like the pictures, was sweet and to the point with a wonderful theme and lesson to be learned. The only downside I would say was that there could have been more dialogue between the characters, especially as there were numerous illustrations to go with the words.
Children will fall in love with the pictures and the perfectionist that is Beaver and all of his animal friends in The Perfect Birthday Recipe.

I received an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
The Perfect Birthday Recipe was a sweet story about what perfect really looks like. We all know someone (or at that someone) who likes everything just so so and Beaver is that someone in this story. He tries to include others, but it just doesn't go according to his plan and that is when he loses it. But when he does everything just how he wants, he discovers it isn't so perfect after all. That there really is something missing.
I love the beginning and end pages of this book. The illustrations were magnificent and it was a well put together story.
What an adorable book! Beaver is very Type A, which doesn't bode well for him when his friends take it upon themselves to help him bake a birthday cake from a recipe he has spent countless hours perfecting. Things don't go as planned, Beaver has a bit of a fit, then realizes that celebrating with friends is the most important part of a birthday.

I've read the same story, in different books, many times over. The concept isn't new. What makes this book a little different is the neurotic Beaver character and the darling illustrations.
This was a super cute book with a great story behind it. There was a lesson to be learned and it was done in just the right amount of way. With lots of good food, delicious sweets, and friends to help teach each other the true meaning of perfection. It's one my daughter enjoyed and learned even more from. And, both of us couldn't stop talking about the décor and beautiful craft room that belonged to Beaver.

The only thing, was wanting more of this little world and all the characters' involved. The beautiful highlights of the night, the interactions between the cuddly creatures, the growth of Beaver, it all made this that much more welcoming. And, how they came together in those last few pages are definitely what many of aspire to reach. Not only lessons learned, but strong bonds that become so easy to love.

***I received this copy from Capstone Editions via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.***