Our Autistic Lives

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 Jan 2020

Superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

This collection of narratives from autistic adults is structured around their decades of experience of life, covering 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60 and 70s+. These are varied and diverse, spanning different continents, genders, sexualities and ethnicities, yet the author highlights the common themes that unite them and skilfully draws out these threads.

Each chapter is based on accounts from one age group and includes accounts from people of that age, giving an insight into the history of autism and signifying how gaining a diagnosis (or not) has changed people's lives over time. The book is about ageing with an autistic mind, and helping the reader find connections between neurotypical and neurodiverse people by acknowledging the challenges we all face in our past, present and futures.

It is never easy to be autistic - but this book can show people, especially teens, that they can thrive with it, not just suffer from it. The narratives were enjoyable and each person was fascinating on its own - it is a book that you can read it bits here and there and still get a lot from it vs. reading it through and deciding what to take from it then.

This book is an essential buy for libraries and schools:  people are getting diagnosed to be on the spectrum at all ages these days so it is a good idea to keep an open mind about the people in your life and whether they may be autistic or not.
Being recently diagnosed with autism as an adult, reading the experiences of other autistic adults was inspiring. It's always good to be reassured you're not alone and that others have and still do go through what you are.
I work with children with Autism so this book appealed to me massively. I enjoyed reading personal experiences from adults all over the world and it was incredibly eye-opening. It's a really easy book to get stuck into and I couldn't put it down. I loved how the book was broken up into ages too!
Our Autistic Lives by Alex Ratcliffe is a collection of accounts of people on the autistic spectrum throughout their lives, a snapshot from different people in their 20's - 70's. If you're looking for a book that tells you about autism from a medical or profession point of view this isn't the book for you. This is a book for those wanting to experience autism from the inside, how it feels to be autistic and the different experiences individuals have. It is a book that also helps people on the spectrum find common ground or understanding of their condition from reading what other people experience. It gives a wide variety of different genders, sexuality's, ages and experiences of how the condition has impacted the individuals.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome last year. This came at the end of a breakdown and a number of mental health diagnosis's like OCD, Body Dysmorphia, Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, anxiety and depression. For me, it was a feeling of relief to gain an understanding into my quirks and issues. I now can give myself permission as it were to be autistic and to find ways to manage the difficulties that come with it. It can also be isolating as a 40 ish year old with a diagnosis like this. That is where this book comes in. I found it fascinating and helpful to gain an insight into other peoples lives, I guess people like me. It is comforting and in many ways gives hope that difficulties can be overcome. Obviously, not every bodies experience is positive but that's important to, honesty is important.

5/5 for an honest view into autistic lives, a wide variety of people and their individual experiences. I would recommend this to newly or established diagnosed (and self diagnosed) individuals looking for understanding and reaching out to find others who experience the world in a similar way that they do. Also for family and friends wanting to understand a little more of the autistic experience.

Our Autistic Lives is due out on 21/01/2020.

Thank you to NetGalley and Jessica Kingsley Publishing for this e-Arc copy for an honest review.
Excellent! Thoughtful and interesting.
As a person on the spectrum (Asperger's) I wish I had this book.