The Chalk Giraffe

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

The Chalk Giraffe is a fun picture book about a girl and her artistic creation. She explores the world her giraffe lives in by drawing and erasing both setting and other animals. Nothing seems to make the giraffe happy until she enters his world and discovers what he really wants.
This book is innovative in its approach to using chalk to tell and change the story. The rhyming is well done and holds a steady rhythm. The colors are bright and appealing.
The Chalk Giraffe is a fun modern-day version of a circle story. From the beginning, it reminded me of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. The demands of the giraffe at the beginning of the book made me have flashbacks to the very demanding little mouse.

Unlike If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, the Chalk Giraffe learns a lesson. After getting angry at the little girl who drew him, the two start over on a new day. Together, the little artist and the giraffe create a beautiful world for giraffe to live in. The create a stunning jungle complete with lots of animal friends. At the end of the story, giraffe even gets a girl giraffe to keep him company.

The chalk versions of the illustrations were a perfect match for the story. I loved how the emulated how a child would be indeed drawing chalk sketches just like the little girl does throughout the text. The pictures were fun, bright, and I see children adoring them.
This was adorable. I loved the illustrations & the rhyming text. Great message about looking at things from another point of view. Good vocabulary to teach such as “forlorn”, “lush”, etc. This is a contender for a future story time.
The Chalk Giraffe is a cute rhyming story about a young artist who draws a giraffe with chalk. Instead of being grateful, the giraffe seems determined to find something wrong no matter what, until the girl gets fed up and erases him.  She comes back the next day regretful, and redraws the giraffe, only to have the giraffe grab the chalk and draw HER into the picture. Now that she can see things from his perspective, her understanding grows and she works to make his world better.
This is a great story for reinforcing social emotional learning, growth mindset, and developing empathy.
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. Lovely picture book about a young girl who draws a sidewalk chalk giraffe that comes to life. In retaliation the giraffe draws her into the picture and they create a bunch of friends.
Give a creative little girl a box of coloured chalk and a blackboard and watch her imagination take over.  There is a touch of magic that happens in this story because after the little girl draws a giraffe it comes to life and starts a dialogue with her.  Now that is crazy exciting isn't it?

Unfortunately the giraffe turns out to be whiny, complainy (is that even a word) and grumpy.  He is totally unhappy with....everything!  He demands a tree, some soft grass, animal friends and on and on and on.  The little girl complies with his wishes and then decides she's had enough and takes her shoe and wipes him away just like that.

"Instead of saying thanks,
you make rude demands.
So goodbye, chalk Giraffe,
you've had your last chance!"
So I rubbed that giraffe right out with my shoe
And the stars, and the sun...
...and the tree that I grew."

Feeling guilty about eradicating him she resurrects him the next day using her artistic drawing skills.  Giraffe grabs her chalk away from her and draws her into his inventive reality.  By doing so he turns her whole perspective about his quality of life around.  She starts seeing the world through his eyes.  Now she is able to understand why he wants and needs all the things he has asked for from her.  All those components that he demanded will make him much happier in his chalk-drawn world.

This book is written in rhyme and sometimes the rhyming is awkward and doesn't flow quite right.  The illustration are vibrant, colourful and fantastic.  I like the positive message that being caring, kind and empathetic towards others is very important.  It would be a great tool to teach young kids about friendship, acceptance, managing emotions and teamwork.  I recommend this book to you.
This is a sweet story about a girl that draws a giraffe in the land of chalk and just cant seem to make him happy. It is a tale or frustration and collaboration to create a beautiful ending. With the help of her pal the giraffe that both find themselves in a magical world where everyone is happy.

As an Art Educator i can not wait to read them book to my students and then create some chalk art of our own. This inspiring story is the perfect way to teach students that its ok to get frustrated with your art but then you need to try again. It is also a great way to introduce filling up the space with things that will make your drawing happy.

Even if you are not a teacher this book is the most adorable rhyming story that any child would love!
The Chalk Giraffe is a cute story about a young child that draws a giraffe on the sidewalk. Her giraffe comes to life and begins making demands for improving his habitat. The child meets his demands at first, but soon becomes frustrated that the giraffe is never happy. The giraffe then invites the child to see things from his perspective and she becomes more understanding.

The story is cute overall. There is rhyming throughout, but it's not always consistent and feels forced at times. I can appreciate rhyming in children's stories when done well, but some stories are just as great (or better) without rhyming. The illustrations really add to the story, especially as the giraffe's concrete home comes to life. This book would be great to share with preschoolers and kindergarten students, especially before they go outside to play. It encourages the use of creativity and imagination.

I received a free copy of this title from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

#TheChalkGiraffe #NetGalley
This is a colorful little picture book told in rhyme about a little girl who draws a giraffe out of chalk. He grumbles and complains a lot no matter what she draws for him until she finally erases him and the world she's drawn for him. The next day she feels bad and draws him again and he's magically fine and then he draws her into his world. She sees then that he needs company and draws animals, but still doesn't think to draw him another giraffe until he finally draws a female giraffe that looks exactly like himself to keep him company, and then I guess he's happy and doesn't need her anymore. The story is okay, I guess, though I'm not sure what the lesson is (we need companions who look just like us? don't be too ungrateful or your creator will rub you out? perhaps I'm overthinking it). The rhyme is sometimes forced. The art is bright and fun, and is likely to appeal to kids. All in all, a cute book kids are likely to enjoy.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for the purpose of review.
This book was silly and wonderful. My husband really hates giraffes (Trauma from when he was a kid) and so I read every giraffe book I see because why not. So that was my only motivation for reading this, but it was so much fun!! The giraffe and little girl are a hilarious pair. A book I would recommend especially if you need a laugh.
#Netgalley
Capstone Editions and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of The Chalk Giraffe.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

A child draws a giraffe out of chalk on the sidewalk and, low and behold, he comes to life.  Instead of being a delightful playmate, the giraffe becomes increasingly demanding and grumpy.  When the little girl decides to give her creation a second chance, a sudden change in circumstances gives her a whole new perspective.

I truly enjoyed the illustrations, but I was not blown away by the text itself.  In an attempt to give the book a rhythmic quality, the author turns awkward phrases in places.  I wish that the story was told without these rhymes, letting the words flow more naturally.  Children will get the message that it is good to put yourself in another's shoes and to help others with what they need instead of what you want.  Empathy is a learned quality and parents can use The Chalk Giraffe as a learning tool.
The Chalk Giraffe was a cute story of a girl drawing with chalk and creating a world SHE thought was grand. After some mistakes and sad moments, she is able to see the chalk world from the giraffe's perspective and is able to create what other's need, not just what she wants. I love the idea of using this book to teach perspective, friendship, managing emotions and partnership.
The Chalk Giraffe is a story about thinking outside the box and seeing things from a different perspective. I love the illustrations and it's a cute story I'm sure kids will enjoy. Don't be surprised if they immediately want to go draw with chalk. 😉
Nice illustrations, cute concept. I like the rhyme but I felt like the story was just a bit too long.
A little girl draws a chalk giraffe, who becomes quite bossy and demands additional parts be added to his chalk world.  She tries and tries to help him get what he wants, but she finally gets fed up and erases the whole thing.  That night though, she feels bad and goes outside the next morning to create him again.  It's a very cute story and it reminded me of "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie."  My six year old found it very fun though.  It inspired her to want to go draw, which was great!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC in return for my honest review.
Lovely rhyming story with charming art - but why oh why did the other giraffe need to have girly eyelashes so we know she's a girl?  Unnecessary gender coding aside, I did enjoy the book, and will probably be purchasing a copy for my library.
Such an adorable book. Great rhymes. Cute illustrations. A wonderful story.

The imagination of a child can be so vivid and I feel this book showed that in a great style.

It also showed the value of friendship and the importance of patience.
What a fun, imaginative book!  A girl draws a chalk giraffe, then finds him unhappy and must fill his world with things that please him.  However, tired of his complaining, the girl erases him and goes to bed.  The next morning she re-draws him, then he brings her into his world to see why he is grumpy.  The rhyming text is clever and the drawings are engaging.  I highly recommend this book!
ARC Copy...a good and beautifully illustrated creative play on...what would happen if a chalk creation comes to life getting abit on the picky side and the artist has immense control over the world the chalk creation occupies.
A children's story about imagination, frustration,  and sympathy. Beautifully written story and great illustrations.  Does a lot to draw children in and ask questions.