101 Positive Steps Toward Employment with Autism

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Dec 2019

An important book for young adults, parents and professionals, its important to look beyond schoo education and think about workplace, book has many tips that can be used
A fantastic resource for people with ASD and their families.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
This book is amazingly realistic and highlights the challenges that those with autism face in the workforce and ways to assist them.  I work with autistic middle school students and have wondered how they will do when they are out in the work world.  This book has been a very helpful resource as to what their future can be and how I can help them get there!
I work with individuals diagnosed with ASD and this book is a very important and fantastic resource to help them know what direction to take. Thank you for allowing me a chance to read this book.
When you don't have a car for a month due to a predatory car insurance industry, you can get a LOT of reading done!!

This book is for parents and professionals who are guiding adolescents and young adult children with high functioning autism or Asperger’s toward employment and independence.

Employers are looking for employees who are positive. Employers may list specific "hard" or technical skills that they want an employee to have for a particular job, but surveys show that employers most want to hire people who have positive "soft skills." Employers want to hire someone who can work in harmony with others, someone who can communicate and respond socially to customers, coworkers, and supervisors with positivity. Unfortunately for young people with autism/Asperger’s, hard skills may come easily but soft skills are much more difficult to learn and use. This book will help you focus on your child’s positivity in their interactions with others, and will help you guide him or her to respond positively to the many challenges he or she faces every day.

This book is very practical and smart in which it gives exercises and ideas to work upon - whether you are a parent, guidance counsellor, concerned relative (Aunt in my case) or librarian, you will find this book invaluable to work through if you know someone on the spectrum. Even if you know someone who is not a "people person" and hates work as a result of having to deal with the public or co-workers, this book would be aces to them as it works on so many levels!!  GREAT BOOK on the subject - a fine "sequel" to her other work.
The digital version of this book is poorly laid out - though it could be because it is an ARC version.  Words and paragraphs are jumbled, the lists are not lined up well, and the word positive is highlighted several times on each page...causing it to become a distraction.  The information here is good, and would be helpful for a high-functioning aspie to read alone or to be gone through together with another adult, but getting past the static as it's written now is going to be an issue.

Edited to add:  After speaking with the publisher and seeing a PDF version of this text, which looks like what the hardcopy would be, I can easily recommend this book for use.  One thing I couldn't see in the mobi format was the 'workbook element' of the text, where there is room for practice responses from the student.  This is a nice touch.
Very practical approach to guiding young adults with autism on the social skills necessary to be successfully employed. The use of worksheets and exercises to teach and reinforce 'soft skills' has been proven to be a highly effective method for many people with ASD. I believe some of the concepts introduced on positivity in the workforce can also be translated to personal skills in general. Thank you.