Cover Image: Her Missing Child

Her Missing Child

A complex, suspenseful plot with tension so thick that it felt palpable. Wonderfully-developed characters with depth and substance. I was immediately drawn in and held captive from beginning to end.
2 stars and a DNF.

This was just too boring for me. The story had promise but the damn mother. She drove me nuts and the story lacked any pull for me to continue reading.
Absolutely enjoyed from start to finish, u didn't want the book to end. Highly recommended, if you like books that keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat.
Another fabulous and twisty read from one of my favourite authors. I absolutely loved this heartbreaking, emotional book and look forward to reading the next book in the series.
This was quite good actually! It was easy to read and full of things I didn't see coming which was fab - makes for a great book
egitimately feel like I have had the stuffing knocked out of me as this book really packs a punch, and Ms Watts takes you on a windy, twisty journey through secrets and lies, deception and deceit to uncover the devastating truth. This is the second book in the Detective Jessie Blake series but there's no need to have read the previous novel to enjoy this one. I have read each of the author's books and I would say that this is her best so far and an ideal introduction for those new to her work as well as those who already love her well-planned and emotional stories. I found myself actually imagining the story was real and it was my baby who had been cruelly taken; Watts knows exactly how to tug on your heartstrings. I simply couldn't tear myself away and read it in a single afternoon. I was completely engrossed.
As soon as I started the first few chapters of this book, I was totally engrossed.  Each chapter keeps you wanting more.  Her Missing Child is an intense and engaging character drama.  It’s hard to look away, like watching a car crash, as you turn the pages waiting to find out the truth behind the disappearance.

Superbly plotted with enough red-herrings to ensure that the reader is never quite sure what really happened.  A myriad of surrounding cast were great characters, multi-dimensional and full of depth.  I kept changing my mind over who to trust and who not to as the author led me along numerous wrong turns.

The pace is a brisk one, one where the tension never lets up, and there are plenty of mini-dramas to keep the reader entertained so this book doesn’t suffer with the mid-book slump which sadly seems to afflict psychological thrillers.  What starts as a novel about a missing child turns into something that is dark, chilling and quite intoxicating.  It is simply spine-tingling to read with a cleverly woven plot that tells of lies, secrets and will leave the reader gasping at the final reveal.  Kerry Watts is a true master of the Psychological Thriller.
Amazing I really enjoyed this book the writing of this book is similar to other authors that I love really can't wait to read the next one thank you
Darren arrives home after work to find his wife Claire sleeping on the couch.  She has been struggling lately and it's not unusual to find her asleep after a day taking care of their newborn son.  He goes to greet his son but finds him missing.....
This is the second book in the DCI Jessica Blake series.  I enjoyed the first book but had a little trouble keeping up with all the characters in this one.  It was good - fast paced and satisfying!
Thanks to Kerry Watts, Bookouture and NetGalley for the ARC of this great book!
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.     Thank you NetGalley!

Her Missing Child is a book set in Scotland that broaches on every parent's missing fear...   their child has gone missing from their home.       While mom was taking a nap, she didn't hear the footsteps or door open, and when Dad arrives home, the baby is not in the crib.    Who has taken the baby?   Are the parents involved?!
I literally could not put this book down.     There were twists I didn't see coming.
The writing style was amazing, and the book kept my interest from the first chapter.
This book was sooooo good. I read it in less than 24 hours. I really couldn’t put it down (poor Zach really didn’t get much attention from me that day!)
Darren and Claire Lucas have not found parenthood particularly easy due to postnatal depression but adore baby Finlay. Next door neighbours Dianne and Colin lost their own baby to cot death and love helping out.
Finlay goes missing and Detective Jessie Blake and her team are called in to investigate his disappearance. Family members are hiding secrets but who could possibly have harmed a baby?
Kerry Watts has written a truly wonderful police procedural novel that deals with a devastating topic and every parent’s worst nightmare. She cleverly misdirects the reader during the book so that we make assumptions about characters that then turn out to be innocent.
Her lead detective Jessie is a strong female character who also has a huge heart. Jessie is familiar with baby loss and grief as her own child died and she understands the human frailty as she has been a victim of domestic abuse and her ex is trying to inveigle himself back in her life.
The chapters are short in length which makes them perfect for maintaining the momentum of the plot. It also means that it is very tempting as a reader to read one more chapter when you are supposed to be doing something else!
Her Missing Child is simply brilliant from start to finish!
This was a fantastic whodunit. There are so many suspects to choose from and just when you think you have it figured out...I can’t wait for the next installment in this series.
Many thanks to Bookouture and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Wow, another author I’m going to be on the lookout for!
At the beginning I got very confused with the vast number of characters and their individual storylines. I also don’t personally feel what happened to baby Finlay after the fact was entirely necessary, it felt a little unsavoury in an already upsetting situation. There are so many ‘twists’ in this book to keep you on your toes; one or two too many? I’m not sure.
The post natal depression angle was portrayed very well.
When I got this book I didn’t realise it was part of a series and I’m excited to go and get book 1 as I really like Jessie & Dylan’s characters and their relationship. I also want to know more about Jessie’s ex husband and how she lost her son, which isn’t covered in this second book.
I’d give this a 3.5 rather than a 3. I do really like how this was written, I just feel there was a lot of unnecessary information that asked more questions and took more focus on, than the main storyline.

I didn’t adore the reason for the missing child, nor felt fully comfortable with mental health portrayals. The short snappy chapters kept me wanting to carry on to find out what was going to happen.
She lays her baby in his cot – the sound of his quiet breath filling the nursery as she leaves the room. Soon Claire will be fast asleep herself. She won’t hear the back door opening or the footsteps on the stairs.
When Claire Lucas is woken by her husband asking where their baby son is, she is dazed and confused. When she follows Darren into their child’s bedroom, she hears nothing but silence. No baby cries, no cute gurgles. The only thing left in Finlay’s cot is his beloved teddy bear. Finlay has gone.
Detective Jessie Blake rushes to the family’s modern home in the rugged Scottish Highlands. She notices that Darren avoids eye contact, and Claire seems disconnected – unable to account for the last few hours of her afternoon. Jessie knows there’s no normal response to losing a child, but something doesn’t feel right.
Friends rally round the young family, as a search of the narrow lanes and green hills of Moncrieffe begins in earnest. And as helpers battle the wild Scottish weather, Jessie is sure that someone in the search party must know more than they’re letting on. Someone must have seen something.
As a ghost from her own past comes back to haunt her, Jessie must put aside her own personal tragedy to save baby Finlay. Can she get the people of the small town to talk before it’s too late?

What a great mystery/thriller this was.
It's every mothers' worst nightmare come true in this one.
Well written plot and story line that was so engaging from the very start.
Characters have been fleshed out well and were beliveable.
This is second in series but can be easily read as a standalone.
Love this author's writing and can't wait to read more.
Recommend reading.

Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for the ARC. I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
I hadn’t read the first book - but I will. Is, being a big fan of a crime series. It was well written, had be gripped early on and was full of twists and turns. The setting (a wintery remote Scottish village) had all the usual interesting residents, and lots of secrets!!
Sensitive subject, well delivered!
Clare puts her baby son Finlay down for a nap before falling asleep herself.  When her partner Darren gets home Finlay has vanished.  Detective Jessie Blake is called in to investigate and straight away identifies that something is not right.   What follows is an investigation to find where Finlay is and what happened.  It appears that everyone has something to hide.
This is book two with Detective Jessie Blake but could be read as a stand-alone.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be looking forward to book three.
A police procedural with heart.
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
#SafeHome #NetGalley
Brilliant read. I’ve just read this book in one sitting in 5 hours. A great follow on from  the first in the series Heartlands, although works perfectly well as a standalone too. The main plot though emotive with the death of a six month old baby is a twisty turny delight and the subplot develops brilliantly
An excellent series that I’m sure has lots more to offer
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of Her Missing Child by Kerry Watts in exchange for my opinion. I’ve got to say, I’ve been pleasantly surprised by this publisher, Bookouture, as I’ve read a number of their titles recently. I love suspense and thriller novels, and they seem to put out a lot of quite solid titles within these genres.

I thought this book was overall enjoyable, suspenseful, and a little sad. Her Missing Child is about a new mom, Claire, and her husband Darren whose son Finlay is six months old when Darren comes home and shockingly discovers him missing from his crib. DI Jessie Blake and DS Logan investigate the case. I loved the setting, a small Scottish town during an icy cold winter, where everyone seems to be overly invested in everyone else’s business - and their secrets and lies. Because there are plenty of those here.

I’ll tell you why this book made me a bit sad, on a personal level. I have two small children, and with both, I was absolutely staggered by PPD, or post partum depression. It was a horrific thing, and while I don’t want to get too detailed, it was a very very dark time in what should have been one of the brightest and happiest times of my life. I was not sure I’d make it through the first time, let alone the second. It was something I’d heard about, of course, but until experiencing it, I viewed in an abstract way - kind of like you would someone being in a car accident or having their house burn down. “Oh, the poor woman, such a sad thing to happen” - but it’s someone else, isn’t it? It’s a very difficult thing to truly understand unless you have experienced it - so much guilt, shame, and unhappiness are mixed up in it, and overall you feel like the world’s absolute worst parent. So I was interested to see just how Kerry Watts would handle the subject of PPD without turning it into a sideshow and sensationalizing it beyond recognition.

Overall, I found Her Missing Child to be a tense, twisty turn of a book, and I was glad to be along for the ride - safely buckled into the passenger seat and not behind the wheel. I’d be interested to read further books in the DI Jessie Blake series, and I’m definitely keeping my eye on Bookouture releases.
This book was fast paced. Hard to put down. It flowed well and it was very well written. It caught hold of me and had me hooked from the start . I was literally on the edge of my seat reading this book.