Her Missing Child

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Sep 2019

Detective Jessie Blake is back with Dylan her Dc, called to the case of a missing baby. Finlay’s mum is suffering from PND, his daddy is having an affair and they are just crumbling. Enter a close extended  family Who are silent and protecting someone.

Eek this was so engrossing. I devoured it over a day. The backstory with Jessie is so intriguing. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
DI Jessica Blake and her colleague, DC Dylan Logan, investigate the case of a missing 6-month-old baby boy, Finlay Lucas. The detectives of Police Scotland are stymied by a mother who suffers from post-natal depression and can't remember anything and her husband, the baby's father, who has some secrets which make answering questions a tad bit difficult. Who took the baby from his cot and where is he? NO SPOILERS.

This wasn't the typical police procedural involving a kidnapped child. There are a lot of different characters and, at first, they are hard to keep track of as they are introduced into the narrative. Along with the usual police activities, there is an incredible amount of domestic drama between the spouses, relatives, friends and neighbors. Blake and Logan are assisted by PC Isla Wilde, who initially was acting as the family liaison officer to Darren and Claire Lucas, but who wants to be a detective and acquits herself well. The story is propelled by quite a bit of action as everyone seems to be a possible suspect. I admit to being a bit surprised by who did what to whom as the red herrings were appropriately misleading. I enjoyed this second in the series more than the first and especially liked learning more about the personal history of Jessica Blake and definitely am intrigued to see what happens for her next. The case is eventually brought to a satisfying conclusion and I'll be looking for the third installment.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.
This is the second book in the DI Jessie Blake series and I feel we are getting to know more about Jessie, she has a lot on her plate, what with her ex-husband stalking her and also heading the investigation into the disappearance/kidnapping of a 6 month old baby who was literally snatched from under his mother’s nose…. this case brought about memories of a personal tragedy for Jessie but can she put her personal feelings aside and move on with the task in hand?

Another good book in this series and I can see with more books, it is just going to go from strength to strength. This book looks at a lot of issues such postpartum depression, bi-polar, domestic abuse, tragedy….. a harrowing read at times, however, well written and plenty of twists and suspects…..Look forward to many more to come.
Wow! The action in this book just did not stop!
There are a few characters in this book, but they all play a pivotal role with a few red herrings in there too!
I just didn't want to finish it as it was so good and so well played out.
I can see this as crime drama mini series, especially with the glorious snowy setting of Scotland, which Kerry describes so well.
I was rooting for Jessie all the way through, you can't help but like her, Isla and Dylan,

So looking forward to the next one!

Thanks to NetGalley, Kerry Watts and Bookouture for such a good old down to earth crime drama. Brilliant!!!!!!
This is a kind of story where you could easily have pulled the sofa I was sitting in from under me and I would not have noticed in the slighest.

I am often engrossed in a book, but when it's about a child, it touches me in a different way. I suppose it's because I am a mum too and you can better relate to the feelings of the parents? I see the the teddy bear on the cover and already my heart starts to break.

Not only does DI Blake have to uncover a murderer but she also has her own problems she has to battle against.

She has a whole basket filled with suspects to choose from, but who is the right one? One moment the clues point her in one direction, the next in a different one.

The police seems at a loss, but then there is the breakthrough ... Can relationships be mended again or is there no way back?

A great story that made your head spin and bottom glued to your chair. 4 stars.

Thank you, Kerry Watts and Bookouture (via Netgalley)
This is book #2 in the Detective Inspector Jessie Blake series.  It can be read as a standalone book however.  This book follows the story of missing 6 month old Finlay Lucas.  Taken from his cot whilst his mother Claire sleeps downstairs, DI Jessie Blake is given the task of investigating his disappearance.  This proves difficult for Jessie and her team, as everybody connected to the case seems to be under suspicion.

I enjoyed this book and remembered Jessie Blake’s character well, having read the first book in the series, Heartlands.  The story began straight into the action when Darren Lucas, Finlay’s dad returns home after a few hours with his mistress and finds his son missing.  Immediately, I was dragged into the mystery of what had happened to little Finlay and began to make a mental list of who could possibly be involved!  As it was, I needed a bigger imaginary notepad as it seemed that almost everyone in the book could possibly have had something to do with Finlay’s disappearance.  There were a lot of characters, but it didn’t get overly complicated as to who was who and what their connection was.

The storyline does deal with some upsetting themes such as mental health issues, domestic violence and grief, as well as the usual murders and police procedures that books of this genre usually have!  The story flowed well and kept up the pace throughout the book.  The “crime” parts of the storyline were well played out and certainly kept me thinking!  I did however really enjoy getting to know more about Detective Inspector Jessie Blake than we did in the first book.  Whilst she still is the gritty and tenacious detective that she was in Heartlands, we get to see more of her personal side and little bits of her past are drip fed to the readers as the storyline progresses.  Jessie has obviously had a difficult past, and now that her abusive and controlling husband is back on the scene I’m hoping we get more of this storyline in the next instalment!

This second book continues to pack a punch in what is looking to be a great series of police procedural/crimes books.  It took me on a rollercoaster of suspense and tension which I didn’t want to get off until I’d reached the very end.  Filled with twists and turns all the way through, this was an exciting and thrilling read. I shall look forward to the next book in the series!!  Highly recommended!
This was a pretty good book. I have not read one that took place in Scotland before this so I enjoyed that aspect. I just thought the actual story was kind of like been there read that. I still enjoyed reading it though. Thanks NetGalley.
I've read so many of these types of books so going into this one I wasn't expecting anything. I was wrong. I really liked this one. The writing was great and kept me at the edge of my seat. I now have to go back and read the first one in this series.

Thank you Netgalley, the author and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
🌟🌟🌟🌟

This book was fantastically written and really drew me in. A baby is missing and the detectives are working to see how it could have happened and where baby Finlay could be. I have to be honest - the book would probably have got 5 stars from me but I didn't realise it was part of a series and hadn't read book 1. In addition I personally found parts of the story quite upsetting and therefore personally struggled. Can't fault the book though, it was certainly well written and I would be interested to read more of the series.
Thank you Netgalley and Book Outure for this book in exchange for an honest review. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 for this one. Gripped me right away and the only disappointment I got from this book is that I'm finished reading it!
Unforgettable and gripping. The suspense starts at the very beginning and doesn't let go. There is a large cast of characters as well as a large plotline. With so many suspects and action, I was glued to the pages and didn't guess the answers until the reveal. This is the second book in the series and I am already anxious for Jessie's next one, especially after that ending.
I was so excited to dive into this book and it definitely did not disappoint. Had me on the edge of my seat from the very beginning and that excitement lasted throughout the entire novel. Would definitely recommend to a friend!
Detective Jessie Blake #2

Jessie and her team have been sent to investigate the disappearance of baby Findlay. He had been taken from his cot as his mother lay sleeping. Claire suffers from post natal depression and it puts a strain on her marriage to Darren. Has Claire actually hurt her baby  boy or has someone else abducted him?

This story cover a horrible subject matter. As Jessie investigates, she discovers a web of secrets and lies. Theres a great mix of characters who are well rounded and believable. Theres plenty of drama and lies in this emotional roller coaster read. The more you read, the more the mystery deepens. You don't know what's going to happen next. I never saw the ending coming.

I would like to thank Netgalley, Bookouture and the author Kerry Watts for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Wow what a read I could not put this book down.  Second in a series I will definitely be reading the first & any future books.  I would recommend to anyone.
Safe Home by Kerry Watts
Series: Detective Jessie Blake #2
Publisher: Bookouture

Thanks to NetGalley and publisher Bookouture for the ebook ARC of Safe Home by Kerry Watts in exchange for an honest review.

Claire laid her baby boy in his cot and  shortly fell asleep after. She doesn’t hear the door opening or the footsteps on the stairs.
Claire Lucas is woken when her husband, Darren asks where their baby boy is. She is dazed and confused. When she follows there and into Finley’s room, he is missing. The only thing left in his cot, is his teddy bear. Detective Jessie Blake rushes to the family’s modern home in the rugged Scottish highlands. She notices instantly that Darren avoids eye contact and Claire seems disconnected. Jessie knows their is no normal for losing a child, but something doesn’t feel right.
As a ghost of Jessie’s past comes back to haunt her, she must put aside her own personal tragedy to save baby Finley.

I give this book a rating of 4 stars. I recommend reading this book. I did not read the first book in the series. This was a very good book which was able to be read as a stand alone book. There was many twists and turns that I did not see coming.
#SafeHome #NetGalley
I could not put this book down. The twists and turns and everyone could easily be a suspect. I will definitely reading more of Kerry Watts novels.
Even though a lot was happening in Safe Home by Kerry Watts, I didn’t feel like a lot of it had to do with the crime. A major character in this book was postpartum depression. It is a very serious condition, one that everyone needs to be aware of and what can be done to help, so I am glad Watts wrote about it. But, when I read a police procedural I want more scientific information, crime scene investigations, in depth interrogations, or courtroom drama.

And throughout the book I kept feeling like I was missing something between Jessie and her ex-husband. It wasn’t until I was looking up information for putting the review up on the website that I realized it’s book two in the Detective Jessie Blake series. Almost every book that I’ve read that’s not the first in the series, gives enough background information so you are caught up with the story and it can be read as a stand alone. Although Safe Home could still be read without reading Heartlands first, you may also get the feeling that you are missing an important piece of information. This could have been an easy enough fix and since I read an ARC maybe in the finished book this information will be included.

The twists and turns of the story were interesting. A few I didn’t see coming, which is always nice. I would suggest reading Heartlands first and go into this book knowing that it’s not as heavy of a police procedural book as others. If I had known this and decided to still read it, I probably would have given it a higher score.
This is the second in a series. If you intend to read the series, and hopefully there are some books after this one, do not read them close together. Why? Well because it seems like the same characters from the first book were in the second book, just with the names changed. Ms. Watts has a someone facing loss of a child, infidelity with a best friend, and a mentally ill person. The reader needs mor of a variety in characters! Reading this series makes me wonder if 20% of Scotland has a mental illness and why their SIDs rate is so high. Additionally, I felt this book dragged on a bit too much near the end. It felt like Ms. Watts was done telling the story but had pages to fill. All that being said, this was a good story and I liked the actual story better than the first book. I'll be interested to see if we can get some variety in the third book.
Safe Home is the second book in the DI Jessie Blake series by Kerry Watts and it is another very good read.

This isn't a police procedural in the normal sense as there is no senior officer interfering and the actual nitty gritty aspects of an investigation are not used but this doesn't detract from the enjoyment of reading the book as the storyline moves along at a pace and keeps you clicking the pages over.

The only slight negative I had was the secondary storyline and its ending but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed Safe a Home and look forward to book three

Recommended
Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy...

Wow! Lots of secret in small town..it’s amazing book to read..

Looking forward to read more book series from this author soon...